• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

How is that possible? that's immense amounts of damage reduction.

Is there a cap?

Edit: I bugged my way to act 4.

There's no cap but there's some pretty seriously diminishing returns after around 3150 Armor / 315 Resistances. For instance, that 10,428 Armor is 76.80% Mitigation vs Inferno enemies (yes, the stat screen is sort of lying; it's checking vs a Level 60); 3150 Armor is 50% Mitigation. The same applies to resistances.

I got them on my wizard only to find out about this afterward. But I needed the movement speed to reach the 25% cap anyway and it does have my int and vit on it so I didn't get too upset over it. Attack speed is just a luxury I'm adding now anyway since my dps is already so high and with my resource limited build I prefer bigger slower hits rather than running out of arcane power. I really need +arcane power on crit to be on my off hand but I couldn't pass up the +5% crit chance to Arcane Orb (my primary spell atm) in addition to the inherent 8.5% crit chance. I only have +arcane power on crits on my helm atm but it does help at 42% crit.

My Wizard has an Attack Speed build so the bugged IAS% kind of really sucks for finding equipment. Especially with a pair of pants as nice as Inna's since it lets me swap my Unity Ring out for something better.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
It'll cost 100 million to get my dps over 13.7k while maintaining my defenses. I already sacrificed health going in this direction (I was doing 11k dps before) for act 2 because 1k resistances are overkill and I was hitting enrage timer too often since I play with a monk.

At this point it looks like my issue is my HP is too low and I'm unable to heal enough with my % skills (i.e. I should be healing 2500 hp on each revenge w/ 50k hp instead of only 1900) and of course my LOH is too low. I'm not entirely confident that LOH isn't going to be nerfed though and again, going for both HP and LOH is so cost prohibitive at his point. 10-20 million for a 800 dps LOH weapon? and you say my DPS needs to be higher? Make that 50 million. +100 vita / 70-80 resis (like my current armor pieces) armor? Another 2-5 mil a piece. Oh but I need to increase my DPS too? Well I have +100 STR pieces right now so 100/100/70 upgrades? Hello 10 million a piece.

All for what? So I can survive Act 3 that other classes blaze through with blues? I'll get right on it.

I hope things get better for you guys. All I know is you're the best tank I've ever grouped with, and I've grouped with a lot. I'd be happy to lend you some dps in Act III if I'm around and you're ever flying solo.

scy

I found a better place to farm gold than the Dank Cellar, assuming you have at least made it to Butcher (not necessarily killed him).

What you need to do is get on the quest The Cursed Hold in Act 1. Make it through the Halls of Agony level 2 until you come outside on the bridge. As soon as you hit the bridge there's a checkpoint. Now go back insdie and go down the stairs, and pillage everything in the area. There's corpses and breakable objects EVERYWHERE. You don't have to fight a single enemy, so load up on as much GF and MF as you can fit on your character, sacrificing all other stats. Once all the stuff is pillaged, TP out, exit, and resume quest.

I'm doing this with about 182 GF and 100 MF, and I net about 5k-7k gold every pass through. If you have Movement Speed this will be even faster, but for me it takes on average 1 minute 15 seconds to do a complete pass. This is a net of about 336k gold per hour, far higher than what you get doing Dank Cellar.

Part of the probelm with Dank Cellar is that at least 30% of the time the cellar isn't there and you wasted a good 15-20 seconds. Furthermore, when the cellar is there, a full pass takes longer than 1:15, it's closer to 1:45.

I'll give it a try tomorrow I guess. I did Nightmare Act 3 Heart of Sin runs (the entire quest) out of a suggestion from earlier in the thread and I made nearly 2M Gold for the night before any AHing of stuff (some decent Rare Rings/Amulets were found). Not bad since I wasn't going full out the entire time. This is with ~300% Gold Find with a 5 stack Nephalem Valor buff.

Ferrio

Banned
So here's my character stats after t hat bow.

With sharpshooter
X0sBo.png

Without Sharpshooter (notice my natural crit chance)

There's no cap but there's some pretty seriously diminishing returns after around 3150 Armor / 315 Resistances. For instance, that 10,428 Armor is 76.80% Mitigation vs Inferno enemies (yes, the stat screen is sort of lying; it's checking vs a Level 60); 3150 Armor is 50% Mitigation. The same applies to resistances.

With that much armor and resist, the damage reduced should be bringing it down to almost 5%.

If things still hit hard with only 5% dmg going through, they must be doing like 300k attacks.

I'll give it a try tomorrow I guess. I did Nightmare Act 3 Heart of Sin runs (the entire quest) out of a suggestion from earlier in the thread and I made nearly 2M Gold for the night before any AHing of stuff (some decent Rare Rings/Amulets were found). Not bad since I wasn't going full out the entire time. This is with ~300% Gold Find with a 5 stack Nephalem Valor buff.

Just tested a 10 minute period of aggressive fast-as-i-can farming there with 187% MF and I ended up with a 42.7k pure gold plus probably 10k of sellable magics weapons.

So let's say you have 300% GF so you're going to get about 40% more gold than me, so that would be about 360k / hour for you.

Of course, you'll get the occasional amazing item which you can AH for a lot of money, especially since it's in Inferno instead of Nightmare, I imagine some better quality items.

When you say "for the night", how many hours are we talking? And how much of that was dependent on luck?

coopolon

So at level 51 with my mates (who are playing barb, wiz, and dh). I'm tanking as my monk and I'm basically forgoing all damage in favor of vitality and resistance. Resistance up to 130 (all resistances, using that passive that raises all to the highest and just stacking arcane), health up to 30k, damage reduction via armor ~ 40%, damage is ~500. We just took down SK in hell, only have problems with a few mobs.

Is this strategy going to hurt me? I kind of feel like with the overawe mantra (I try to keep it at the 48% level all the time) I'm still probably contributing tons of DPS as long as we're working together.

Just tested a 10 minute period of aggressive fast-as-i-can farming there with 187% MF and I ended up with a 42.7k pure gold plus probably 10k of sellable magics weapons.

So let's say you have 300% GF so you're going to get about 40% more gold than me, so that would be about 360k / hour for you.

Of course, you'll get the occasional amazing item which you can AH for a lot of money, especially since it's in Inferno instead of Nightmare, I imagine some better quality items.

When you say "for the night", how many hours are we talking? And how much of that was dependent on luck?

And to make matters even better, about 5-10% of the time you get the Iron Maiden event which spawns a super easy elite which usually drops a rare.

Totakeke

Assuming 20k hp. 50% mitigation = 40k EHP. 76.8% mitigation = ~86k EHP. There's a better post explaining this that someone linked a while ago in this thread but it's not diminishing returns.

eek5

Yeah I bought a couple of pieces for cheap for level 59, put my resists at 300, 7.2k dps, and 20k health.

I have a bit of work to do.

If you look around @ 60 resists you can find some good deals. Usually something rolling dual resists combining for over 120 is pretty rare though so even if you search around the 40-50 resist alls, you should be able to find some good pieces with combined 90-100 resist for under 500k. Getting both dex/vita with 100 combined resists will start to get expensive though.

Yeppers

Any tips for the Butcher as a WD on Inferno? Hitting the enrage timer sucks

Butcher is just a straight up DPS check. If you are hitting the enrage, ya need to stand still and dps more, or get better gear. Alternately a different skill build might work, but I know nothing about WD builds for butcher.

If you get desperate feel free to PM me your tag, I like killing him.

Any tips for the Butcher as a WD on Inferno? Hitting the enrage timer sucks

I went with bears, spirit walk, haunt, fetish army, soul harvest with life rune, and voodoo.

Spirit Vessel, vision quest, spiritual attunement. Just gotta be careful dodging his attacks, but that allows you to dish out some pretty mean damage. I went with Spirit Vessel so that spirit walk comes back fast, always need it in case you get hooked.

Butcher is just a straight up DPS check. If you are hitting the enrage, ya need to stand still and dps more, or get better gear. Alternately a different skill build might work, but I know nothing about WD builds for butcher.

If you get desperate feel free to PM me your tag, I like killing him.

Yea, I probably have to change my skills, zombie bears and poison darts may not be the best idea for that fight

I had 5 stacks of valor up so I didn't want to change, next time I can try something else

I went with bears, spirit walk, haunt, fetish army, soul harvest with life rune, and voodoo.

Spirit Vessel, vision quest, spiritual attunement. Just gotta be careful dodging his attacks, but that allows you to dish out some pretty mean damage. I went with Spirit Vessel so that spirit walk comes back fast, always need it in case you get hooked.

I was too worried about getting stuck with the hook and didn't think I had enough time to launch the bears at him

Yea, I probably have to change my skills, zombie bears and poison darts may not be the best idea for that fight

I had 5 stacks of valor up so I didn't want to change, next time I can try something else

I was too worried about getting stuck with the hook and didn't think I had enough time to launch the bears at him

If you have spirit walk, you can use it regardless if you get hooked. Just try to bear as often as possible, but make sure to keep haunt on him. Really, you just want some sort of dot on him at all times so if you have a preference when it comes to dots, any work, but you just want to bear as much as you can.

If you have spirit walk, you can use it regardless if you get hooked. Just try to bear as often as possible, but make sure to keep haunt on him. Really, you just want some sort of dot on him at all times so if you have a preference when it comes to dots, any work, but you just want to bear as much as you can.

I love those bears

Shouta

It'll cost 100 million to get my dps over 13.7k while maintaining my defenses. I already sacrificed health going in this direction (I was doing 11k dps before) for act 2 because 1k resistances are overkill and I was hitting enrage timer too often since I play with a monk.

At this point it looks like my issue is my HP is too low and I'm unable to heal enough with my % skills (i.e. I should be healing 2500 hp on each revenge w/ 50k hp instead of only 1900) and of course my LOH is too low. I'm not entirely confident that LOH isn't going to be nerfed though and again, going for both HP and LOH is so cost prohibitive at his point. 10-20 million for a 800 dps LOH weapon? and you say my DPS needs to be higher? Make that 50 million. +100 vita / 70-80 resis (like my current armor pieces) armor? Another 2-5 mil a piece. Oh but I need to increase my DPS too? Well I have +100 STR pieces right now so 100/100/70 upgrades? Hello 10 million a piece.

All for what? So I can survive Act 3 that other classes blaze through with blues? I'll get right on it.

I'm a Monk and not a Barb, so my way of handling Act 2/3 Inferno is a little different but I'm sure you could sacrifice just a tiny bit to increase your capabilities somehow, no? I was turtling up when I started Inferno and it wasn't nearly as good as reducing my resists for extra power to kill the enemies. I'm into Act 3 now and I can actually kill a few elites with a bit of tenacity and luck.

Are those resist levels with War Cry + Impunity? If not, then you might be able to scale back a little bit for additional DPS or LoH. The amount needed to gain a point of Resist at higher levels goes up so scaling back just a tad isn't going to hurt as badly if it'll allow you to gain HP and damage.

I'm not sure LoH will be nerfed in the future. I think Damage converted to Life is already nerfed so they wouldn't do that to LoH. It's also not as overpowered because only the best weapons have a huge modifier. However, you can get LoH on Amulets and Rings. In fact, my LoH is from those 3 slots and not my weapon. I'm sporting a blue 1100 DPS Fist Weapon and a Shield.

My stats look this and as I said, I'm on Quest 2 of Act 3 Inferno.

WltqF.png

eek5

I'm a Monk and not a Barb, so my way of handling Act 2/3 Inferno is a little different but I'm sure you could sacrifice just a tiny bit to increase your capabilities somehow, no? I was turtling up when I started Inferno and it wasn't nearly as good as reducing my resists for extra power to kill the enemies. I'm into Act 3 now and I can actually kill a few elites with a bit of tenacity and luck.

Are those resist levels with War Cry + Impunity? If not, then you might be able to scale back a little bit for additional DPS or LoH. The amount needed to gain a point of Resist at higher levels goes up so scaling back just a tad isn't going to hurt as badly if it'll allow you to gain HP and damage.

I'm not sure LoH will be nerfed in the future. I think Damage converted to Life is already nerfed so they wouldn't do that to LoH. It's also not as overpowered because only the best weapons have a huge modifier. However, you can get LoH on Amulets and Rings. In fact, my LoH is from those 3 slots and not my weapon. I'm sporting a blue 1100 DPS Fist Weapon and a Shield.

Those are my buffed stats. I'm faced with decisions like this:
decisions.jpg

Worth 5-10 mil to upgrade? lol

I think my gear is pretty good for what it is. Getting it better is going to be EXPENSIVE. I have multiple sets of gear for unpassable DPS checks and can already get my DPS to 18.8k by dropping down to 800 resists but it doesn't really make a difference. The biggest problem right now is I can't even take more than a couple hits before I need to run away.

I'm at a point right now where I'm not even sure what to do. Theory crafting on the fly is expensive. Will LOH really solve all my problems? What if I drop 10 million and LOH gets nerfed next week? Will getting an extra 100 vita change everything? Is it worth 10 million gold? At this point I've pretty much started using this monk exploit to try to get better gear for my Barb but it's silly that I have to do this.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

WltqF.png

You are broke :lol :)

Please post me your inferno build

Shouta

Those are my buffed stats. I'm faced with decisions like this:
decisions.jpg

Worth 5-10 mil to upgrade? lol

I think my gear is pretty good for what it is. Getting it better is going to be EXPENSIVE. I have multiple sets of gear for unpassable DPS checks and can already get my DPS to 18.8k by dropping down to 800 resists but it doesn't really make a difference. The biggest problem right now is I can't even take more than a couple hits before I need to run away.

I'm at a point right now where I'm not even sure what to do. Theory crafting on the fly is expensive. Will LOH really solve all my problems? What if I drop 10 million and LOH gets nerfed next week? Will getting an extra 100 vita change everything? Is it worth 10 million gold? At this point I've pretty much started using this monk exploit to try to get better gear for my Barb but it's silly that I have to do this.

What weapon and rings are you using?

But, i do agree I'm not sure how much LoH will help you. You really need to blow stuff up to win because you're going to be taking a lot of hits compared to a Monk and the amount you need to heal is going to be a lot and very constant. Monks get heals, Invincibility bubbles, and can rely on evasion so they only have to have enough to survive hits and restore it so it's a bit of a different ball game.

You are broke :lol :)

Please post me your inferno build

Hah, yeah. I just upgraded my followers so they could do some damage for me as well. It'll make it easier to farm Act 2 and get through Act 3, I think. I need to find pieces to bring my Resists and Dexterity up so I'm more comfortable fighting Elites in Act 3. They're doing a bit too much damage for my taste at the moment. It basically means I either get lucky and they miss until i get full life or they magically just one shot me. The Fire pools from desecrators in Act 3 kill me really fast too, right now. I can barely get away sometimes.

I use this skill layout for fighting elites in Act 2. I can take most on as long as I'm careful about what enemies are near me, even the ones with Invulnerable minions.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aZXigh!XYU!ZZbZYc

eek5

What weapon and rings are you using?

But, i do agree I'm not sure how much LoH will help you. You really need to blow stuff up to win because you're going to be taking a lot of hits compared to a Monk and the amount you need to heal is going to be a lot and very constant. Monks get heals, Invincibility bubbles, and can rely on evasion so they only have to have enough to survive hits and restore it so it's a bit of a different ball game.
They told me I needed 10k/1k to make it through A4 so I spent 30-60 mil getting there and it doesn't work. Then they told me I needed 1k LOH so I started grinding before having second thoughts about spending another 20 mil on something that may or may not be the game changer. Now you're telling me I need 25k dps or more which will be even more expensive. I'll just wait for someone else to figure it out.

here are my rings and stuff:
ringsandstuff.jpg

edit2:
I got a 250 LOH ring and it doesn't help. Going to 500 LOH, at least, isn't the answer. Maybe 1200 will be.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
They told me I needed 10k/1k to make it through A4 so I spent 30-60 mil getting there and it doesn't work. Then they told me I needed 1k LOH so I started grinding before having second thoughts about spending another 20 mil on something that may or may not be the game changer. Now you're telling me I need 25k dps or more which will be even more expensive. I'll just wait for someone else to figure it out.
Put your gold somewhere where it won't depreciate and come back soon.

*Wait you SPENT 30-60 Mil? Jesus fuck.

T.O.P

Banned
Time to run a WD alt, my DH is getting demolished in Hell (fuckin pack of invincible mobs) and i don't have enough money for a substantial better gear :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Time to run a WD alt, my DH is getting demolished in Hell (fuckin pack of invincible mobs) and i don't have enough money for a substantial better gear :(
:lol

I think I died once in Hell. Want to buy my old bow? 460DPS at level 52 :p
Hell Gear is like 5-20k each. That's nothing.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer

I thought DH is supposed to be the overpowered class? That's the word on the D3 forums anyway. WDs are having a lot of trouble clearing inferno. I don't know of any WDs that solo'd inferno tbh.

But I second the witch doctor alt. The crowd control abilities makes the game more fun IMO.

red731

My Act 1 inferno strategy is interesting...

I soloed the Skeleton King no problem, but the damn packs of uniques and rares.

You saw the video with kid and the pidgeons? That was basicaly my tactic when I couldn't get pass these hell spawns.

"Sees pack, reads pack - invulnerable minions, desecrator, molten, fast - nope, get killed, run from waypoint, lure to previous areas, die, waypoint and continue on my trip."

Shouta

here are my rings and stuff:
ringsandstuff.jpg

edit2:
I got a 250 LOH ring and it doesn't help. Going to 500 LOH, at least, isn't the answer. Maybe 1200 will be.

Hrm. How many hits can you take in like Act 3 or so?

500 LoH is relatively low so yeah, 1200 will a little better. I wouldn't recommend getting a new weapon to increase your yours though, go with an amulet if possible for now because it'll be less expensive. My 400 LoH amulet was only 700k for a 100 DEX/VIT, got lucky with it, heh.

It's hard for me to imagine though. As I said I evade attacks on my Monk, I don't take as many so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom