• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMarker

Well my best friend just got hacked a second time and this time I was there as I watched him get logged out, I was in a Skype call with him and he just had a range of emotions. After he drained about 4 of his 5 heroes, the bot made a new hero called "wwwmmookcom" which after some Googling turned up some really shady websites. He sent in a support ticket to Blizzard from the first hack from last week and no response, he's also changed his password twice. I think I can convince him to get an authenticator now.

Kyoufu

Well my best friend just got hacked a second time and this time I was there as I watched him get logged out, I was in a Skype call with him and he just had a range of emotions. After he drained about 4 of his 5 heroes, the bot made a new hero called "wwwmmookcom" which after some Googling turned up some really shady websites. He sent in a support ticket to Blizzard from the first hack from last week and no response, he's also changed his password twice. I think I can convince him to get an authenticator now.

You'd think he would either format his computer or at least get an authenticator after the first hack.

Sophia

Hope he didn't intend to use the RMAH! >_>;

IceMarker

You'd think he would either format his computer or at least get an authenticator after the first hack.
He feels that a password change was enough, but not as of 10 minutes ago. I feel really bad for him either way as he shouldn't have to go this far. :(

Makes me glad I bought a physical key chain authenticator after I read the RMAH requires one to cash out a couple days before release!

Hope he didn't intend to use the RMAH! >_>;
Hopefully not.

J-Rzez

So I finally got five stacks on Neph on Act IV inferno, and killed many more elites past that. Killed Izual. At diablos.

Oh, so Having 49 discipline is freaking amazing. I urge all DH's to get their discipline atleast to 45, then take backup plan. It's night/day how I was before.

Since im just farming some gold thus far in a1-inf, i dont know what gear is needed for dh after that. What stats should i be looking for armor wise? I assume youre using a smoke screen type build?

I don't find that funny. Blizzard really did a lot of shit the past two weeks and those vids are just too pro corporate. I can make any comment sound dumb if I use some weird accent. Even yours. Try it.

You do realize all those comments were absurd in the first place, right? It's just poking fun in spite of the issues.

Bradach

He feels that a password change was enough, but not as of 10 minutes ago. I feel really bad for him either way as he shouldn't have to go this far. :(

Makes me glad I bought a physical key chain authenticator after I read the RMAH requires one to cash out a couple days before release!

Hopefully not.

Do you need the physical key chain authenticator to cash out of the RMAH or is the iphone authenticator enough?

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
If someone wants to block one of his precious 10 auction slots for this it's his problem ;)

Was talking more about server space since I don't know why anyone would ever want to buy white equipment, but that too I guess.

I don't find that funny. Blizzard really did a lot of shit the past two weeks and those vids are just too pro corporate. I can make any comment sound dumb if I use some weird accent. Even yours. Try it.

Having grievances is one thing. Whining like a 9 year old is something different.

maharg

idspispopd
So what's the point of letting people sell white items on the AH? Seems like a waste of space to me.

I still don't get the point in this game even having whites.

(Yes, I know blizzard's stated reason. I think it's stupid. At least when they also make all whites sell for 2 gold.)

GavinGT

Banned
Man, and I thought the account hacking business was just a case of people using insecure passwords or something. I was just now in the middle of a game when I witnessed someone log into my account (kicking me off), change my password, and then steal all my gold before I could recover the account. And my password is a random string of numbers and letters that I created just for Diablo!

They've got a real problem here, no matter how much they want to downplay it. I don't know what I was thinking by not using an authenticator.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't get the point in this game even having whites.

(Yes, I know blizzard's stated reason. I think it's stupid. At least when they also make all whites sell for 2 gold.)

what was their reason?

IceMarker

If you read Blizzards support pages, they claim they can only rollback your character twice. So if he gets hacked once more hes SOL.
This. Blizzard hasn't rolled back his account even once yet, so he'll get the warning shot along with an Authenticator required to even use the RMAH.

Man, and I thought the account hacking business was just a case of people using insecure passwords or something. I was just now in the middle of a game when I witnessed someone log into my account (kicking me off), change my password, and then steal all my gold before I could recover the account. And my password is a random string of numbers and letters that I created just for Diablo!

They've got a real problem here, no matter how much they want to downplay it. I don't know what I was thinking by not using an authenticator.
After hearing my friends voice in rage/sadness/disappointment tonight I know how you feel. :(

--

FYI guys, the site is mmook.com that created the bot, going off of the bots hero name it created. DO NOT VISIT THE SITE, I'm just making you aware that these scumbags are the gold sellers who most likely did it to my friend.

Hit 59 with my Wizzy last night. Also finished act 3 on hell. Gonna do my best to beat hell this weekend and TRY inferno. Something tells me it will be a quick try and a return to either my DH I rolled or my Barb.

John_B

Is there any way to get your characters renamed? Any official word about future paid services to change character names/genders etc.?

SyNapSe

As far as I can tell you can only reset your password by using your old password or I think via email so you might want to change your email password as well. I guess you could just check your email for a reset msg from blizz; if you don't have one then they got your password somehow.

maharg

idspispopd
what was their reason?

Loot bonanza. They think there's a psychologically positive effect in having a bunch of stuff they actively discourage you from ever wanting to have anything to do with drop on the ground. To me the only psychological effect is annoyance when I have to throw out all the trash I accidentally picked up while fighting every five minutes.

Sometimes I think the people at Blizzard nowadays barely even played Diablo. Whites weren't worthless in Diablo or Diablo 2. Even if there was always a better item you could at least sell higher quality ones for a nice chunk of change.

Cipherr

Is there any way to get your characters renamed? Any official word about future paid services to change character names/genders etc.?

This is truly a game where every class is easy to grasp and be competent at. If you are a fellow WoW player, Im sure thats hard to believe.

But trust me, you can genuinely choose the class that you are most interested in, and not have to worry about it being difficult or sucking in comparison to another. Things sort of veer off track in balance at Inferno, but by the time you level there they will have already patched the inferno changes in, and balance will be better amongst all classes again.

zoukka

Loot bonanza. They think there's a psychologically positive effect in having a bunch of stuff they actively discourage you from ever wanting to have anything to do with drop on the ground. To me the only psychological effect is annoyance when I have to throw out all the trash I accidentally picked up while fighting every five minutes.

Sometimes I think the people at Blizzard nowadays barely even played Diablo. Whites weren't worthless in Diablo or Diablo 2. Even if there was always a better item you could at least sell higher quality ones for a nice chunk of change.

You guys completely forget the most casual fanbase of diablo. The whites are there to create a contrast to blues and yellows, nothing more.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Loot bonanza. They think there's a psychologically positive effect in having a bunch of stuff they actively discourage you from ever wanting to have anything to do with drop on the ground.
ew.

ew.

what? you killed him in 6 hours?
I kept trying for 6 hours :p. The couple of hours I had 16k DPS, but then I borrowed a bow that boosted my DPS to 20k. Make sure you use the Templar as your follower and make him somewhat tanky, if you stick close to Belial and smokescreen is melee attack he will use his next attack on the Templar (you can tell because he'll turn to face him) so you can pump a ton of close range Nether Tentacles into his face. You also want to make sure you're fairly close most of the time, as his dash will mean a lot of your Nether Tentacles don't connect.

V_Arnold

Sometimes I wonder how you played Diablo 2, sorry :D I remember having 8-10 open slots on my character, which meant 2-3 items at most (less if I found big shields/chestpiec/2h weapons), and farming meant if 5+ item dropped, you already needed to TP to sell both patches of worthless uniques/rares, and you really did not bother with whites unless you were really low on money, and some ancient armor or something along those lines dropped that worth the cap.

It is a psychological effect. If you didn't have whites and greys drop, and you only saw magic items or above, far fewer things would be dropping. Having the extra (worthless) noise of white and grey items makes blues, yellows, and better more satisfying when they drop. There's a heightened response because you're picking out the pretty color from a background of dull ones. It's similar to gambling, even though nothing is being wagered by the player except time. Losing often makes the wins sweeter.

confuziz

Banned
I kept trying for 6 hours :p. The couple of hours I had 16k DPS, but then I borrowed a bow that boosted my DPS to 20k. Make sure you use the Templar as your follower and make him somewhat tanky, if you stick close to Belial and smokescreen is melee attack he will use his next attack on the Templar (you can tell because he'll turn to face him) so you can pump a ton of close range Nether Tentacles into his face. You also want to make sure you're fairly close most of the time, as his dash will mean a lot of your Nether Tentacles don't connect.

I dont use Elemental arrow.

Jrmint

Okay, but because of the hatred cost multishit / fan of knives is pretty useless.
Why would you use Multishot/Fan of Knives on Belial? Really why are you using FoK at all? Sentry and Spike Trap with the rune to drop all 3 at once are way better.

Elemental Arrow only costs 10 hatred anyway.

Kyoufu

I think you have to realise the effect WoW has had not just on Blizzard, but their commercial player base. People expect whites to be vendor trash just like how people expect Legendaries to be the bee's knees.

I don't know staff details but I'm willing to bet the Diablo 3 team has more in common with WoW than Diablo 1 or 2.

confuziz

Banned
Why would you use Multishot/Fan of Knives on Belial? Really why are you using FoK at all? Sentry and Spike Trap with the rune to drop all 3 at once are way better.

Elemental Arrow only costs 10 hatred anyway.

Because of phase 2

I got caltrops w/ slow, Rain of vengeance w/ flying strike, Elemental arrow w/ NT, preparation and FoK

DEO3

Does anyone else feel like they missed the boat?

I watch these streams of dudes soloing Inferno's Act 3/4/Whimsey and when you see their stats they have 30-40k health, 60k dps, resistances at 500+, and like 20,000,000+ gold. I can barely afford to get to half those stats, let alone have tens of millions of gold left over.

Are these people who just got to 60 first and were able to either farm chests before Blizzard took them out of the game, or areas they shouldn't have been able to with now nerfed skills? And by doing so they got the gear they needed to legitimately progress into these areas and are now raking in millions selling the loot?

Through a lot of blood, sweat, and tears I've made it to Act 3 Inferno on my own, but I just don't see how I can progress any more without tens of millions of gold. I used to be an Asshole Auction House Baron in WoW, but I can't make any money off Diablos since it's so broken, half my auctions never even show up, and it's really disheartening to not be able to progress anymore when I see so many others thriving.

Mairu

I watch these streams of dudes soloing Inferno's Act 3/4/Whimsey and when you see their stats they have 30-40k health, 60k dps, resistances at 500+, and like 20,000,000+ gold. I can barely afford to get to half those stats, let alone have tens of millions of gold left over.

Are these people who just got to 60 first and were able to either farm chests before Blizzard took them out of the game, or areas they shouldn't have been able to with now nerfed skills? And by doing so they got the gear they needed to legitimately progress into these areas and are now raking in millions selling the loot?
Yes.

Through a lot of blood, sweat, and tears I've made it to Act 3 Inferno on my own, but I just don't see how I can progress any more without tens of millions of gold. I used to be an Asshole Auction House Baron in WoW, but I can't make any money off Diablos since it's so broken, half my auctions never even show up, and it's really disheartening to not be able to progress anymore when I see so many others thriving.
I feel the same way. I just got to Act 3 Inferno myself, but I don't even want to bother with it since I mostly got through Act 2 by skipping almost everything but the bosses. I don't really like spending hours staring at the auction house to try and get a good deal and I've never been the kind of person that likes "playing" the auction house in the sense of buying and reselling stuff on the AH.

Fan of Knives is pretty worthless with the 10 second cooldown that can't be reduced. The runes are all underwhelming as well, even if the base idea of an AoE localized around the player is nice, other skills fill that niche much better simply because they don't have that absurd CD. Without the cooldown, Fan of Knives could actually be a useful skill.

zoukka

Of course you "miss the boat" if you watch streams and compare your progression to people who's life consists of diablo and sleeping.

mrbagdt

quick question-

while goofing off this morning in diablo (i just installed yesterday, only lvl 11) i got booted from the game with the message 'another computer has logged in to your account'. i am 100% certain i am the only one with access to this account, so is this just some sort of byproduct of lag?

Hoo-doo

Banned
quick question-

while goofing off this morning in diablo (i just installed yesterday, only lvl 11) i got booted from the game with the message 'another computer has logged in to your account'. i am 100% certain i am the only one with access to this account, so is this just some sort of byproduct of lag?

Add an authenticator to your account. That's not supposed to happen, and account hacking is very prevalent right now.

You are missing the point - there must a bare non magical version of weapons/armor in game - otherwise having magic versions wouldn't make sense.

SyNapSe

You didn't miss the boat they just put in tons of hours. Yes, there is some advantage to being on the top fringe of the content in the beginning but it won't matter in the end. The games been out two weeks and you're almost at the end of the content and they specifically put in that content to keep people from 100% finishing it so soon.

If Inferno weren't a cockblock you'd have tons of people complaining they'd beat every bit of content and all that was left to do was farm or start a new character.

Cipherr

I just got my first set piece, Ive gotten like 7 legendaries but I think this is my first green item drop. And from some quick Dank runs no less. Im just stocking up on Gems. Unexpected surprise. And its stats arent terrible.

8qezR.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom