• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

eek5

How did you even get 30 to 60 million. o_O also thats kinda a broad span...
Well A1i wasn't giving me the drops I needed to get to A2i so the AH became the game for me.

Did I miss something? Where's the All Resist and VIT? Is DPS Barbarian the only way to progress through act 3 and 4? How do you stay alive for more than like 1 hit with this gear?

I'm really not sure how much vitality is going to help me since it's unlikely I'll be able to maintain my STR and add on VIT but that's probably the first thing I'm going to try (start dumping STR for VIT). I have +20% HP bonus so getting up to 45-50k HP isn't going to be hard. The only thing this is going to do is allow me to get more HP from revenge, overkill, charge though and I'm not sure if it'll even be enough.

Some of the hits I'm taking now @ close to 40k hp are NASTY. I'm not sure what the numbers are because I just look at my skill bar waiting for revenge to proc when I get into some situations but single htis are hitting me for ~40% of my life at times. Not even a 10% revenge proc would keep me alive where I'm at. The second thing that people don't really emphasize is that life on hit is VERY VERY important. I only have 300 and I'm struggling. A lot of barbs who post their stats gloss over it but most of them are in the 800-1200 range. I've been trying to maximize the LOH I do have by getting IAS but it isn't helping at least not at 300-500 LOH.

The 3rd option is to stack even more defenses. I still don't have a String of Ears but it's not really only melee giving me a ton of trouble right now so I don't know how much of a difference that will make. As far as getting more resists, I don't have a lot of room to work with anymore. Before I was wearing mostly 50-60 resist gear, now I'm wearing mostly 70+ resist gear. I guess I could strategically plan on getting phys/fire/arcane on pieces monk-style to try to boost some of the potent elements up past 1200 but it seems expensive for very little gain. I also only have 36% block which I think is a lot but maybe getting to 41% will help (or ~50 w/ helm of command) but again, these options are very cost prohibitive (5-15 mil for good storm shield over 28% block, I don't know how much for command but a lot since it is crafted) Keep in mind that my shield is blocking a higher damage range than stormshield though so I'm blocking 3706-4704 at 36% instead of 2XXX-3706 at 40%. I doubt it'll be a game changer.

Hrm. How many hits can you take in like Act 3 or so?

I'm taking about 16k dmg per hit, so around 4 if I get lucky with revenge procs.

sephi22

Wait, what?
DeathJr got banned for posting a link pointing out an ad for a gold seller? When I get ads for gold sellers on GAF? WTF?

I don't think he was plugging his own site or anything. Shit is cray. Sucks getting banned right before E3. :(

daebo

Yeah... I'm kind of stuck and I guess I have to grind... but are there any WD out there? I'm level 50 and on act 1 in Hell... I've been going the pet route the entire time and had an okay run through normal and NM. But, going under the cemetary I'm running into some stuff that's just wiping me. Quit out of frustration because it looks like the way I've trained myself to play just isn't going to cut it.

Am I just going to have to grind till i get my bears and spam the crap out of that with steal life on hit to be viable? Or is there some other play method I'm just going to have to run through NM again to learn how to play differently?

EDIT: Plus I solo... am I going to have to break down and play with others as well?

Rufus

The bears aren't going to help much, because you'll a) have to get close, which is suicide and b) have to build around Vision Quest, because otherwise you'll run out of mana. You need four skills on cool down for Vision Quest do kick in, which leaves you with your primary and secondary most of the time. While you wait one or two minutes for your skills to become available again you can do nothing but run away/kite.
In other words: If you play alone, forget about Zombie Bears. Try it out if you can take a few hits, it's quite fun. But it is going to get you killed a lot, there's no point in trying to make it work.

As for your particular problem: Do experiment with your skills, but it might just come down to gear.

Here are my current stats and im getting fucking steamrolled my invincible minion elites in act 1 hell. Jesus this game went really hard.

Screen-shot-2012-06-01-at-7.41.57-AM.png

DSmalls84

To all those that recommended the Dank Cellar thanks :). I got a pretty good bit of rare drops in there in addition to gold. Even found a set of all resist shoulders and sold them for 700k!

daebo

Thanks for the advice ElTopo and Rufus. I'll try again after I'm off work. I'd show what I'm gear with but being at work sucks. I think I have around 18k HP and 3k DPS and resistances around around 200... I know my resistance is low/suck but no money to try and build it up... are my HP and DPS low for Hell act 1?

Rufus

I have to disagree, the damage output from ZB is so enormous that it makes life a lot easier in Hell. Sure you may die occasionally, but with Spirit Walk/Soul Harvest you'll usually be done with the enemies before they can harm you, at least in Hell.
I guess my DPS is too low then, because too many critters survive the bear barrage and slaughter me. I just don't like the way you have to play with that build.

Neki

I watch these streams of dudes soloing Inferno's Act 3/4/Whimsey and when you see their stats they have 30-40k health, 60k dps, resistances at 500+, and like 20,000,000+ gold. I can barely afford to get to half those stats, let alone have tens of millions of gold left over.

farming inferno whimsey is easy, don't sweat that. :p

LiK

Loot bonanza. They think there's a psychologically positive effect in having a bunch of stuff they actively discourage you from ever wanting to have anything to do with drop on the ground. To me the only psychological effect is annoyance when I have to throw out all the trash I accidentally picked up while fighting every five minutes.

Sometimes I think the people at Blizzard nowadays barely even played Diablo. Whites weren't worthless in Diablo or Diablo 2. Even if there was always a better item you could at least sell higher quality ones for a nice chunk of change.

Considering the uselessness of White loot, the Gray Cracked loot is a bigger waste of time when I pick those up by accident.

Number45

Thanks for the advice ElTopo and Rufus. I'll try again after I'm off work. I'd show what I'm gear with but being at work sucks. I think I have around 18k HP and 3k DPS and resistances around around 200... I know my resistance is low/suck but no money to try and build it up... are my HP and DPS low for Hell act 1?
Not sure what class you're playing, but you're above what I entered Hell with by quite a margin (I'm playing Barb).

Is Blizzards 'next day shipping' on authenticators some sort of sick joke? I ordered it over a week ago and still don't have it.

Every time I log on I'm half expecting to see my character naked again.

jkoch

Does anyone else feel like they missed the boat?

I watch these streams of dudes soloing Inferno's Act 3/4/Whimsey and when you see their stats they have 30-40k health, 60k dps, resistances at 500+, and like 20,000,000+ gold. I can barely afford to get to half those stats, let alone have tens of millions of gold left over.

Are these people who just got to 60 first and were able to either farm chests before Blizzard took them out of the game, or areas they shouldn't have been able to with now nerfed skills? And by doing so they got the gear they needed to legitimately progress into these areas and are now raking in millions selling the loot?

Through a lot of blood, sweat, and tears I've made it to Act 3 Inferno on my own, but I just don't see how I can progress any more without tens of millions of gold. I used to be an Asshole Auction House Baron in WoW, but I can't make any money off Diablos since it's so broken, half my auctions never even show up, and it's really disheartening to not be able to progress anymore when I see so many others thriving.

No. I'll be playing this game (off and on) for years. I don't need to be there right now, 16 days after the game's release. There's plenty of time for it.

bs000

Finally got to a point where I can farm Act 1 Inferno. I just started and this is what I got from one run with some hand me down mf items:

Did I do good? Price check? :3 I think I've only sold liek one item for more than 10k on the AH :<

DSmalls84

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aZUdkP!WeV!aacZZZ

This is one of the variations of a build I saw on battle.net. Basically it is a build that focuses on Splintered darts, attack speed, and CC skills. I found it pretty effective running around Act 1 yesterday, but have not tested it extensively yet. You could also swap Soul Harvest for Hex, and drop in Jungle Fortitude for a passive. For this build you are going to want at least 2-3 pieces of IAS Gear. Also with the amount of Darts you can spam the Fetish Sycophants will usually always be by your side and serve as a great distraction for enemies. I found this a nice change from the standard Vision Quest builds.

Diablo 3 takes the award for being the first pc game to fry my computer.

I was playing through Act I yesterday when all of the sudden the game froze and there was this high pitch noise. After manually restarting the computer I can't even see the freaking BIOS. Anyone else had hardware problems with this game?

Is it just me or does this game feel way more linear than diablo 2? Especially Act 4; you don't have to really find anything, you just keep going through portals till its over.

Icomp

Is it just me or does this game feel way more linear than diablo 2? Especially Act 4; you don't have to really find anything, you just keep going through portals till its over.

You're not alone, I kinda feel cramped in a corner compared to D2. I wonder what happened to D3, it seemed so good when they first showed it.

idlewild_

Finally got to a point where I can farm Act 1 Inferno. I just started and this is what I got from one run with some hand me down mf items:

Did I do good? Price check? :3 I think I've only sold liek one item for more than 10k on the AH :<

Pretty much all of those look mediocre, they might sell for a little bit, but there's nothing there that's going to bring you big gold. Especially that xbow, you'll probably get more from vendoring it.

scy

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aZUdkP!WeV!aacZZZ

This is one of the variations of a build I saw on battle.net. Basically it is a build that focuses on Splintered darts, attack speed, and CC skills. I found it pretty effective running around Act 1 yesterday, but have not tested it extensively yet. You could also swap Soul Harvest for Hex, and drop in Jungle Fortitude for a passive. For this build you are going to want at least 2-3 pieces of IAS Gear. Also with the amount of Darts you can spam the Fetish Sycophants will usually always be by your side and serve as a great distraction for enemies. I found this a nice change from the standard Vision Quest builds.

You'll basically want +25% Movement and 2.3+ Attacks Per Second for this since it's similar to the IAS% Wizard build. You might be able to get away with less APS when starting off due to Splintered Dart's default cast speed but I'd still aim for getting to 3 APS eventually.

I need to get my WD to Inferno so she can just use my Wizard's hand-me-down IAS% loot. Had my eye on this build for awhile but wanted to get my Wizard up first. That and I fear I'd still want Armor/Resist here where Wizard I can skate by with Force Armor handling the bulk of my mitigation :x

Askani

Sometimes I wonder how you played Diablo 2, sorry :D I remember having 8-10 open slots on my character, which meant 2-3 items at most (less if I found big shields/chestpiec/2h weapons), and farming meant if 5+ item dropped, you already needed to TP to sell both patches of worthless uniques/rares, and you really did not bother with whites unless you were really low on money, and some ancient armor or something along those lines dropped that worth the cap.

I don't know. I have clear memories of picking up multiple white Staves that had + to spell levels that would sell for max gold in a zone, then saving them for the next zone when the sell price increased, and sometimes it would still be at max level and you could wait until the next zone to sell it. Same with Plate drops. When you started playing a Sorc, sometimes the plus to your main spell you're using was better than your blue item. Or dropping your first plate that was just so much better on raw defense that it outclassed your blue splint mail with a bonus or two.

DSmalls84

You'll basically want +25% Movement and 2.3+ Attacks Per Second for this since it's similar to the IAS% Wizard build. You might be able to get away with less APS when starting off due to Splintered Dart's default cast speed but I'd still aim for getting to 3 APS eventually.

I need to get my WD to Inferno so she can just use my Wizard's hand-me-down IAS% loot. Had my eye on this build for awhile but wanted to get my Wizard up first. That and I fear I'd still want Armor/Resist here where Wizard I can skate by with Force Armor handling the bulk of my mitigation :x

I have been slowly grinding and trying to upgrade at least 1 piece of my gear each day. Right now I'm running this with 35k health, 22k unbuffed dmg, around 200 resist all, 2.0 APS, and i think 11% movement speed. I still have work to do but it seems like each piece of gear I get makes it that much better.

macewank

ACT 4 isn't really the best comparison. In both games, that act is really "Cut the crap, it's time to kill the boss and finish the game"

That said, the quest progression is linear, as it should be. The draw on Diablo is item finding, not the questing.

For the WD build a few posts up, I'd change the spirit walk rune to mana regen. I'm at 2.7 APS and I run out of mana casting darts alone and you can't really do anything else without mana regen from something.

Xanathus

Found this on an inferno pony run, anyone want to give me a reasonable offer for it? It looks like it has a good roll with max block chance so I'm hesitant to list it on the AH because it's filled with sub-par versions of it for ridiculous prices.

MyCnx.png

scy

I don't know. I have clear memories of picking up multiple white Staves that had + to spell levels that would sell for max gold in a zone, then saving them for the next zone when the sell price increased, and sometimes it would still be at max level and you could wait until the next zone to save it. When you started playing a Sorc, sometimes the plus to your main spell you're using was better than your blue item. Or dropping your first plate that was just so much better on raw defense that it outclassed your blue splint mail with a bonus or two.

I did that too. On new characters. By the end-game, your inventory was a clusterfuck and farm runs were constant TP shuffles back and forth to vendor things (or just not care since "lol gold").

I have been slowly grinding and trying to upgrade at least 1 piece of my gear each day. Right now I'm running this with 35k health, 22k unbuffed dmg, around 200 resist all, 2.0 APS, and i think 11% movement speed. I still have work to do but it seems like each piece of gear I get makes it that much better.

If they ever fix Inna's Pants, that will probably become the standard IAS%/Movement% pants, though you'll still want amazing rolls for the stats on it.

I'd offer my spare old IAS% gear but the only thing I know for certain I have off-hand is a 100 INT/15% IAS pair of gloves. No VIT on it and I don't even think it has decent resists.

Found this on an inferno pony run, anyone want to give me a reasonable offer for it? It looks like it has a good roll with max block chance so I'm hesitant to list it on the AH because it's filled with sub-par versions of it for ridiculous prices.

I seriously need to post items I buy more often. Apparently they all drop like candy for GAF (Tal Rasha chest, Lidless Wall, Inna's Pants, etc.) once I do :x

Anyway, I got a lower block chance shield but with 70 INT/VIT and 900-ish Armor that I bought for ~315k. Just to give you an idea, I guess.

DSmalls84

For the WD build a few posts up, I'd change the spirit walk rune to mana regen. I'm at 2.7 APS and I run out of mana casting darts alone and you can't really do anything else without mana regen from something.

What all do you have IAS on? I currently have it on my gloves, ring, and ammy. Do you have it on your weapon and both rings?

DSmalls84

I did that too. On new characters. By the end-game, your inventory was a clusterfuck and farm runs were constant TP shuffles back and forth to vendor things (or just not care since "lol gold").

If they ever fix Inna's Pants, that will probably become the standard IAS%/Movement% pants, though you'll still want amazing rolls for the stats on it.

I'd offer my spare old IAS% gear but the only thing I know for certain I have off-hand is a 100 INT/15% IAS pair of gloves. No VIT on it and I don't even think it has decent resists.

I seriously need to post items I buy more often. Apparently they all drop like candy for GAF (Tal Rasha chest, Lidless Wall, Inna's Pants, etc.) once I do :x

Anyway, I got a lower block chance shield but with 70 INT/VIT that I bought for ~315k. Just to give you an idea, I guess.

I want to find a pair of Lacuni Prowlers but I have never seen them on AH and IAS is supposedly bugged on most non glove/jewelry items. I am also using these http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/boj-anglers but I notice my damage only increases because of the intelligence on them and my AS does not change.

scy

Naturally fast weapon with both rings and an amulet. My weapon has 1.71 APS alone.

And Gloves, I assume? You need around +60% :x

I desperately need/want Inna's Pants to become less broken. Boj Anglers + Inna's and switching my no-IAS% Unity for an IAS% one (or just an IAS% Ring in general) should get my Wizard to 3.3 APS or so. Madness!

I want to find a pair of Lacuni Prowlers but I have never seen them on AH and IAS is supposedly bugged on most non glove/jewelry items. I am also using these http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/boj-anglers but I notice my damage only increases because of the intelligence on them and my AS does not change.

It's a problem with the stat it can roll:

Increased Attack Speed by X%: Increases the Attack Speed of the item it's on by X%.
Attack Speed Increases by X%: Increases the Attack Speed of the weapon equipped by X%.

So, basically, your Boj Anglers with Increased Attack Speed by X% is merely trying to apply that +X% to the Boj Anglers Attack Speed. Which it doesn't have. So it does nothing.

You can filter it out when searching though. 39 - 39 Legendary Boot filter with IAS% will only show the ones that have the working stat. For some bizarrely fucked up reason.

Boogdud

I finally went through and finished it on normal last night (vacation during release). I have two characters that are on the last act and now have finished with one. I have to say I agree. Act IV was really limited, portal, mini boss, portal, mini boss, portal big boss. I came away from the game with a "that's it?" vibe.

I do enjoy the gameplay, the animations are satisfying and killing things is generally satisfying as well. But it just seems so shallow to me. I know there are a lot of folks that really get into the farming and rifling through stuff over and over, but at my age I guess that ship has sailed for me.

It seems to me the game is more about farming the AH, rather than playing the actual game to get lucky and get something really cool. It seems like they weren't confident with the gameplay being enough to 'hook' players like DI/II did, instead they added a giant gold/money sink MMO style to occupy people (shouldn't be surprised by this with their wow success). Which I think is a shame.

And Gloves, I assume? You need around +60% :x

I desperately need/want Inna's Pants to become less broken. Boj Anglers + Inna's and switching my no-IAS% Unity for an IAS% one (or just an IAS% Ring in general) should get my Wizard to 3.3 APS or so. Madness!

Yeah gloves as well. Forgot about that. Hesitant to get any other pieces until there are patch notes that specifically say they fixed the bug where attack speed on legendaries works

Looking to buy new gear for every slot.

How far into inferno starting at Act 1 will 2 million on the AH get me if I spend it wisely and get good resist/etc.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just got home... Hello D3GAF.... please tell me the fucking EU servers are up and that they're having zero problems whatsoever?

scy

Yeah gloves as well. Forgot about that. Hesitant to get any other pieces until there are patch notes that specifically say they fixed the bug where attack speed on legendaries works

There's two IAS% stats and if a Legendary/Set has the non-working one (only applies to current item rather than overall attack speed) then it doesn't work. Boj Anglers can roll both, Lacuni Prowlers (Bracer), Andariel's Visage (Helm), Mempo of Twilight (Helm), and Tal Rasha's Guardianship (Chest) can only roll the working one, and Inna's Pants will always have the non-working one.

Edit: Lidless Wall (Shield) as well for the working IAS%.

It's basically just Boj Anglers and Inna's Pants that can potentially not work.

Edit: And if anyone cares as to why there's two, Weapons needed their own +Attack Speed modifier so that your off-hand doesn't give IAS% to your MH and your MH doesn't IAS% your OH. They didn't want;

MH with 15% IAS, OH with 15% IAS, and Dual Wield's IAS% to mean you have _45%_ IAS% from your weapons alone. Why Boj Anglers and Inna's Pants get the "This is a Weapon-only affix!" one is bizarre to me.

DSmalls84

Looking to buy new gear for every slot.

How far into inferno starting at Act 1 will 2 million on the AH get me if I spend it wisely and get good resist/etc.

For me in inferno I'm at a point where it cost me a minimum of 500k to get gear that is an upgrade to what I have. Usually more like 1 mil though. Sometimes you can get lucky and find deals.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, I just logged in on the first try! Is it true?! (Is it over? Did I throw it away? Was it you? Was it you? Did you tell me, You would never leave me this way?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom