• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
LF1M act 1 final boss farming PM me

Ferrio

Banned
Alright, this time I ask GAF:

eOvdu.png

+199 DEX
+100 VIT

My first impression: Try to sell it for 50k. But then again my impressions are usually wrong, so what should I sell this one for ? Is it even worth anything ?

Worth way more than 50k

Here's what you do. Go on auction house. Select amulets, set your criteria to 170dex 90vit. Sort by buyout. Base your price on how many are currently on the market and how much they're selling for.

Saerk

I have two items that cannot be sold on the auction house, for two days now whenever I try to put them up for bids the game gives me an error message.

Try repairing them even if they are at full durability. I had it happen for me once, and that solved it.

Rufus

Worth way more than 50k

Here's what you do. Go on auction house. Select amulets, set your criteria to 170dex 90vit. Sort by buyout. Base your price on how many are currently on the market and how much they're selling for.
And for how long they've been sitting there. If the time's almost running out on them then it might be better to ask a bit less than the average.

Mr. Robot

I find it funny that people seem to be pissed off about farming in a loot game.

I was just testing the auction house and put some crappy items at 1000 to see if anybody bought them, then i put an auction on a Rare sword with:
68.9 dps
11-21 arcane dmg
+143 int
+58 dex
+34 vitality
starting at 500 gold, i tought that nobody was interested in buying normal/hell weapons... then i saw some similar items going for 20k....

Lesson is to look at items in the AH before selling yours.

pxleyes

Banned
Haven't had the same urge to play as I did with D2. I think it might have something to do with the way the AH affects itemization. I guess the whole itemization issue in general (AH, drops, stats) is a bit of a turn-off at this point. I miss the feeling of discovery with new items, and when I can just go into the AH and pick one up kind of ruins it. I'm sure someone will chime in with the obvious, 'Well don't use the AH', but I don't find that applies really well in multiplayer games where AH users end up dwarfing non-AH users. Ramble ramble...now to load up D3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
We allowed to post spoilers now :3?

AEREC

What's up with the authenticator? I set up the mobile authenticator on my account after it got hacked shortly after SC2 came out...but I've never actually been asked to authenticate when logging in to SC2 or Diablo 3.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Haven't had the same urge to play as I did with D2. I think it might have something to do with the way the AH affects itemization. I guess the whole itemization issue in general (AH, drops, stats) is a bit of a turn-off at this point. I miss the feeling of discovery with new items, and when I can just go into the AH and pick one up kind of ruins it. I'm sure someone will chime in with the obvious, 'Well don't use the AH', but I don't find that applies really well in multiplayer games where AH users end up dwarfing non-AH users. Ramble ramble...now to load up D3.

Problem is also that the structure of the game is build around the fact that there is an AH, so even if you ignore it , you are still forced to endure the item drop rates based on having an AH.

In the end players are expected and forced to use it to continue to the end of this game. Which is one of my bigger gripes with this game. Although I really like the idea of the AH, the fact that the game is balanced around it maddens me.

But ah, I still played a bit of D3 today, because I am not able to get any TL2 fix yet. So whatever.

kpeezy

Banned
Yes, and i haven't heard this much commotion in a long time over any other game/website. So is the Blizzard accounts so unsecure that it leaks and needs an authenticator? That was my original question. Haven't heard anyone having problems with their paypals and facebooks.

No, it has nothing to do with blizzard. The "leak" happens when gamerX visits his favorite pr0n site and gets infected with a keylogger. The hacker who put the keylogger out there is being sent gamerX's keystrokes (passwords, user names, chat messages, errything). They can login to gamerX's paypal, ebay, email, battle.net, anything the person has logged into while they were infected with a keylogger (because the hacker can see which website they visit, which user ID they used, and which password they used).

It has absolutely nothing to do with Blizzard's security. Blizzard has done everything they can do by providing the authenticator. The authenticator is the same method used by IT groups to allow their users to connect into the company's network from their laptops at home and blah blah.

What's up with the authenticator? I set up the mobile authenticator on my account after it got hacked shortly after SC2 came out...but I've never actually been asked to authenticate when logging in to SC2 or Diablo 3.

Try logging into your battle net account on their website. If you have an authenticator active, it will definitely ask you for it every time you log in to this account.

Otherwise, it should only come up once a week or so + whenever you change IPs.

AEREC

I dont mind the in game currency auction house but I am worried the RMAH will ruin the game. I quit playing D2 after I bought an item off eBay...I felt like I cheated and it ruined the game for me.

Tom Penny

I don't get my Monk. The only that kills him super fast are those poison trees but they kill me in like a few seconds if I get touched by the poison. What's up with that.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't get my Monk. The only that kills him super fast are those poison trees but they kill me in like a few seconds if I get touched by the poison. What's up with that.
Pro Tip: Don't stand in poison.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I dont mind the in game currency auction house but I am worried the RMAH will ruin the game. I quit playing D2 after I bought an item off eBay...I felt like I cheated and it ruined the game for me.

Yep, and it will move any worthwhile item away from the AH to the RMAH, so that people will be forced to spend money on good items instead of gold. Nothing but a money grab. Enjoy your big and endless AH while you can guys.

I dunno, finding a Legendary in Act 2 inferno only to see it being worse than blues from Act 1.... I dunno...

Itemization was apparently the last thing they worked on in the last few months on beta, and it definitely shows. I have two thoughts about this. One is that with years of hindsight and 5-6 years of dev time, they should not have run into this problem like this, they should have put more emphasis on the most core freaking system of a Diablo game.

Two is that games these days don't get time to breathe a lot of the time, if D2 classic came out today people would be ripping it to shreds. It's the same sort of thing in the MMO scene. The main advantage here is that there's no monthly fee.

Seems like this type of game just isn't for you.
No you haven't.
lol some of you guys are trying a bit too hard. There are a lot of issues currently, and though some people exaggerate them, it's good to make a lot of noise about them so that Blizzard gets a fire under their ass to fix it. I think the core combat and mechanics of the game are good enough to warrant this effort, some people may feel otherwise.

I'm a huge Blizzard fanboy but it's good to keep things in perspective.

Sothpaw

What type of game is this? I've played better loot games, personally.

Your comment was about how you farmed a lot and haven't found anything yet. If you have played other loot games, I assume you know that there is a luck element involved.

lol some of you guys are trying a bit too hard. There are a lot of issues currently, and though some people exaggerate them, it's good to make a lot of noise about them so that Blizzard gets a fire under their ass to fix it. I think the core combat and mechanics of the game are good enough to warrant this effort, some people may feel otherwise.

See above. He was complaining about the basic premise of the genre.

oneils

Did anyone just experience a huge lag spike? It was pretty terrible.

edit: er, I think it was steam patching dota2. Fuck, Steam! :p Closing you down for the night.

pxleyes

Banned
Problem is also that the structure of the game is build around the fact that there is an AH, so even if you ignore it , you are still forced to endure the item drop rates based on having an AH.

In the end players are expected and forced to use it to continue to the end of this game. Which is one of my bigger gripes with this game. Although I really like the idea of the AH, the fact that the game is balanced around it maddens me.

But ah, I still played a bit of D3 today, because I am not able to get any TL2 fix yet. So whatever.

All good points. I was trying to describe the game to my uncle last night, and after a few beers you really start to distill it down. When you have to start explaining an AH with in game and real world currencies, you realize you're talking more about a business model not a game. I'll still play the shit out D3, getting every class to 60 at least once, but I'm not sure how much further I'll take it. Oddly enough, like D2 I wouldn't mind a separate class of characters that is AH-neutral. I don't think a straight up ladder solves the issue, and it would destroy any on-going AH economy, so a separate grouping of characters that simply don't have access to the AH would be ideal.

Toma

Your comment was about how you farmed a lot and haven't found anything yet. If you have played other loot games, I assume you know that there is a luck element involved.

The drop rates are fucked. Simple as that. The rare items are not simply meant to reward a player, but to create a stupidly high demand, so that people will make more money by selling them for $$$, which in turn makes more money for Blizzard. This game is balanced differently than the almost perfect formula found in D2, and now take a guess why.

Sothpaw

Did anyone just experience a huge lag spike? It was pretty terrible.

edit: er, I think it was steam patching dota2. Fuck, Steam! :p Closing you down for the night.

Same happened to me last night. DOTA 2 patches wreck my pc lol.

The drop rates are fucked. Simple as that. The rare items are not simply meant to reward a player, but to create a stupidly high demand, so that people will make more money by selling them for $$$, which in turn makes more money for Blizzard. This game is balanced differently than the almost perfect formula found in D2, and now take a guess why.

I have not had the same experience so I disagree.

Yep, and it will move any worthwhile item away from the AH to the RMAH, so that people will be forced to spend money on good items instead of gold. Nothing but a money grab. Enjoy your big and endless AH while you can boys.

You realize it makes little difference, you can just sell items/gold for $ and buy them on the RMAH. You'll take a 15% hit in efficiency on gold, or a $1 hit on items, but it's very easy to do. Personally selling items makes more sense, if the market is at all stable the $1 hit will be quite a bit lower than 15%.

Remember it's always better to underprice a bit and garuntee a sell, than overprice and have your item stuck in limbo 2 days without selling.

I've been caught out trying to sell junk for 5-10k. I've got 5 slots wasted on low price 2 handers that will never sell because they're 500-600 damage.

Kyoufu

Yes, there is RNG involved, but in superior loot games I've played, I know what I'm getting at the end of the road. In D3, I never know what I'm farming because drops are super RNG'd in terms of stats.

I don't mind spending time for something, but D3 does not give me a carrot on a stick to chase.

Toma

All good points. I was trying to describe the game to my uncle last night, and after a few beers you really start to distill it down. When you have to start explaining an AH with in game and real world currencies, you realize you're talking more about a business model not a game. I'll still play the shit out D3, getting every class to 60 at least once, but I'm not sure how much further I'll take it. Oddly enough, like D2 I wouldn't mind a separate class of characters that is AH-neutral. I don't think a straight up ladder solves the issue, and it would destroy any on-going AH economy, so a separate grouping of characters that simply don't have access to the AH would be ideal.

Good idea. They'd need to rebalance D3's drop rates then too, though. Like you are expected to use the AH now to play through the game, but if there was no AH, the drop rates would be in need of a raise or the game would be almost impossible to beat.

AEREC

Try logging into your battle net account on their website. If you have an authenticator active, it will definitely ask you for it every time you log in to this account.

Otherwise, it should only come up once a week or so + whenever you change IPs.

Nope... I never get prompted and I've logged into the game and website from various locations through different ISPs. I may just have to give blizzard a call.

Nope... I never get prompted and I've logged into the game and website from various locations through different ISPs. I may just have to give blizzard a call.

That means you don't have an authenticator active. What happens when you try to add an authenticator to your account through the website? Why not just do that?

Toma

Why are rings so expensive on the AH?

Supply and demand. Good rings are hard to get, so they are more expensive to buy.

Everything is expensive on the AH. Everything.

Pretty much. There is the occasional bargain in between, but I am pretty sure there wont be many RMAH bargains, since people will realize its actual money they are trading with.

(Which it already is anyway, but people dont perceive it as that)

Sothpaw

Yes, there is RNG involved, but in superior loot games I've played, I know what I'm getting at the end of the road. In D3, I never know what I'm farming because drops are super RNG'd in terms of stats.

I don't mind spending time for something, but D3 does not give me a carrot on a stick to chase.

If you don't like the RNG aspect of the loot then I can't argue with you there. Do you prefer the combat in other loot games? I have played them all and I have to say that D3's combat is peerless.

pxleyes

Banned
Good idea. They'd need to rebalance D3's drop rates then too, though. Like you are expected to use the AH now to play through the game, but if there was no AH, the drop rates would be in need of a raise or the game would be almost impossible to beat.

The drop rates really need some sort of re-balancing as is. As Kyoufu just pointed out, D3 lacks the carrot on the stick to encourage farming for loot in the traditional sense. There feels like no true progression in gear when you just simply progress through content outside of difficulty level tiers. Too 'all over the place' for my liking. For some reason or another it didn't feel that way in D2. Maybe it is the focus (or lack there of) on bosses, and I understand that mentality, but it seems to take away from the feeling of gear progression.

Toma

If you don't like the RNG aspect of the loot then I can't argue with you there. Do you prefer the combat in other loot games? I have played them all and I have to say that D3's combat is peerless.

Hitboxes.

I agree that D3 is very fun to play generally, but those "hitboxes" are utterly stupid. I am running away from an enemy because he might hit me and he will still hit me if I am 5 metres away?

Yoshichan has a VERY valid point there.

This game is balanced differently than the almost perfect formula found in D2, and now take a guess why.

How was the formula perfect in D2? Drop rates were even more fucked on high runes and you had a much tinier population and no AH for efficiency, so if it hadnt been for bots and duping, people would have had fuck all for essential items. You think more than a handful of people had a legit Enigma per ladder season? Even with duping, post 1.10 itemization was severely flawed.

The only time D2 itemization was actually good was between 1.09 and 1.10. Pre 1.09 uniques and sets were even worse than the ones in D3, and if you stacked enough MF you could get guaranteed unique and set drops every single time, not that you wanted most of them.

There's a lot of rose colored goggles regarding D2.

Sothpaw

Hitboxes.

I agree that D3 is very fun to play generally, but those "hitboxes" are utterly stupid. I am running away from an enemy because he might hit me and he will still hit me if I am 5 metres away?

There is unavoidable damage and avoidable damage in this game, just like in WOW. This prevents people from kiting everything to death while being undergeared. I understand why some (most people here for sure) don't like it, but I completely understand Blizzard's decision.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
They already need to be adjusted. It is absurd to get to inferno and not see a single legendary drop. Uniques were awesome in D2. Biggest disappointment of D3 for me.

Toma

How was the formula perfect in D2? Drop rates were even more fucked on high runes and you had a much tinier population and no AH for efficiency, so if it hadnt been for bots and duping, people would have had fuck all for essential items. You think more than a handful of people had a legit Enigma per ladder season? Even with duping, post 1.10 itemization was severely flawed.

The only time D2 itemization was actually good was between 1.09 and 1.10. Pre 1.09 uniques and sets were even worse than the ones in D3, and if you stacked enough MF you could get guaranteed unique and set drops every single time, not that you wanted most of them.

There's a lot of rose colored goggles regarding D2.

Yeah, I admit, I played most D2 with 1.09 I believe. But they had it at some point. And the overall progression in D3 is way more random in that you can get Barbarian helmets with intelligence. Not convinced that D2 allowed stuff like that, like giving you a barbarian only item with a stat "+1 on Paladin skill".

Rufus

No, it is a slot machine. And we're the grandmas with our buckets full of coins. I don't actually like the hold this has over me, but I can't stop and I have the time, so... The reptilian part of my brain just wins here. I listen to podcasts on the side, so it doesn't feel like I am entirely wasting my time spinning a wheel.
For me, the spell was cast and broken with Diablo 2. And yet here I am, click, click, clicking.

Ferrio

Banned
They already need to be adjusted. It is absurd to get to inferno and not see a single legendary drop. Uniques were awesome in D2. Biggest disappointment of D3 for me.

Eh the drop rate for legendaries isn't the problem It's the legendaries themselves. I think the biggest issue is the quality of drops you get in your current act don't reflect the type of stats you need to progress.

BigDug13

There's still going to be good stuff in the AH. If the same ten slot limit exists on the RMAH side, people's stashes will start to fill up and they will still need to dump it somehow. Also, those same kinds of guys that sell WoW gold on eBay are going to farm and craft the shit out of this game and fill the RMAH with items, lowering overall value and making it harder to sell. If they feel they will make far more than $60 by doing it per account, they will purchase new accounts for RMAH merchants.

Hitboxes.

They would have to change how melee mobs work. You could trivialize a lot of stuff by just pulling back any time a melee animation starts.

You can dodge ranged arrows for example, you just have to be SUPER on the ball about it (and have good latency, which is a real problem at times I agree) and move as soon as the animation starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom