• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Quick question about weapon stats. Which stats actually are part of the dps on the weapon and don't affect damage other than that. I found a rare crossbow 850dps with dex vit attack speed crit damage and dmg%. Is dmg% the only one affecting the dps and the rest will increase the demon hunters actual damage? I put it on the ah for 1mil last night just going off other rare 800+ dps crossbows, but I'm at work now.

+Attributes (STR, DEX, INT) aren't factored and neither is Crit% or CritDamage%. Attack Speed and all the +Damage mods (+Damage Range, +Elemental Damage Ranges, +Min Damage, +Max Damage, +Damage%) are all factored.

So, for the weapon listed:

DEX - Not factored
VIT - Not relevant to Damage
Attack Speed - Factored.
Crit Damage - Not factored.
Damage% - Factored.

Basically, any of the stats on the weapon that are CHARACTER dependent will not be reflected on the Weapon DPS listing. The Advanced Tooltip menu will factor every single thing, however.

Edit: That's totally not even what you asked, is it. :( Damage% and Attack Speed on the weapon are adjusting the Weapon DPS itself which reflects on your Damage. The DEX and Crit Damage will boost it further but it'll only be reflected on the character sheet Damage stat.

+Attributes (STR, DEX, INT) aren't factored and neither is Crit% or CritDamage%. Attack Speed and all the +Damage mods (+Damage Range, +Elemental Damage Ranges, +Min Damage, +Max Damage, +Damage%) are all factored.

So, for the weapon listed:

DEX - Not factored
VIT - Not relevant to Damage
Attack Speed - Factored.
Crit Damage - Not factored.
Damage% - Factored.

Basically, any of the stats on the weapon that are CHARACTER dependent will not be reflected on the Weapon DPS listing. The Advanced Tooltip menu will factor every single thing, however.

Awesome thanks for the response, I guess I will wait and see what happens with the auction.

Edit. Yes it is what I asked :)

Can someone appraise this?

Pretty good Barb amulet, with 7 properties. It dropped in hell, of all places, while I was farming for the Gibbering Gemstone. I'm a wiz, however, so not that great for me.

JkAjd.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

BeeDog

I'm planning on reformatting my PC; do I have to take any necessary backups of D3 files, or is everything synced to the Battle.net servers?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm planning on reformatting my PC; do I have to take any necessary backups of D3 files, or is everything synced to the Battle.net servers?
Everything should be in the Batte.net servers except for the screenshots.

lol and people thought Kungen is better than Kripp.

The only thing that can kill Kripp is a d/c (like proven multiple times). How did Kungen die? A fallen killed him?

edit: by the way, I'm joking :p Kungen is my kung.

I know you're joking, but Kripp has nothing on Kungen. Comparing them is entirely unfair. Kripp gets fed items and gold/gear and never has to work for anything. Kungen is 100% his own success.

LordCanti

Where'd you sell it?

The official Diablo forums (trading section).

I started the bidding at 500k, and within a day and a half or so I got the buyout I wanted (2m).

I highly suggest this method to anyone selling something of value (you don't have to take a 15% gold hit this way).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So are they planning to nerf the shit out of Inferno? I sort of hope they don't...Maybe take out SOME of the cheap ass mega shit, but fixing drops and itemization will REALLY help us take down Inferno.

Also, HC Inferno? Bad idea always.

swap disintegrate with either blizzard or arcane orb for kiting. Makes it a bit easier

Eh for right now it still takes down big packs of mobs pretty quickly, so I'm keeping it for the time being, but I did stick temporal flux on. I'm fairly sure that shortly I will have to go for a full kite build though.

LordCanti

Just for the record, this doesn't seem to be the case. I am able to tank act II quite well, and I'm gearing to tank act III right now, as a DH.

..how? O_O

Shadow Power + a ton of resistances/vita and life on hit?

I ID'd those gloves, they're a slight upgrade for my barb, you guys think a monk might be interested in them?

One stacking cold maybe (there is a monk ability that turns one stat into all the stats, right?).

Otherwise? Mmm...no +IAS, no resist all, etc. Still good gloves, just not a golden roll.

Opiate

I don't know how I feel about your DH tanking Act 3 better than my Monk.

If it works. I'm not sure it will yet! But Act II is definitely possible, at least. Regardless, I am quite confident the "everyone must go glass cannon/SS build" mentality has become far too closed in for a game that's only been out for 2 weeks.

..how? O_O

Shadow Power + a ton of resistances?

And lifesteal.

I have

High armor value items + physical resistances (not at home currently to check exact values)
350 Resistances
40k HP
40% lifesteal from nether tentacles + shadow power (this is nerfed to 5% in Inferno, of course)
+400 life on hit
Shadow power grants an additional 65% damage reduction
I also (sometimes) run Guardian Sentry which grants another 15% damage reduction for a total of 80% damage reduction on top of my resistances/armor.

There you go.

scy

If it works. I'm not sure it will yet! But Act II is definitely possible, at least. Regardless, I am quite confident the "everyone must go glass cannon/SS build" mentality has become far too closed in for a game that's only been out for 2 weeks.

By the sound of things, you were able to tank Act 2 better than my Monk so there's that. Though, my Monk needs quite a bit of work anyway but still. I think I need to start gearing her up just so I don't have to feel bad anymore.

I've heard conflicting things:

Does grouping with people increase the drop rate / drop rarity of loot?

It does nothing for that. What it does do is it adds up everyone's MF% (and GF%) and splits it evenly.

Shouta

I don't know how I feel about your DH tanking Act 3 better than my Monk.

Better get your gear in order! I can take the weaker elites in Act 3 with my monk but still a bit rough because of how hard they hit. I need to raise my resist/HP values while maintaining me DPS to do really well, heh.

TommyT

Agreed. I guess I missed it earlier, how are you playing your DH? Act II up to the last fight is no problem. I'm still juuuuust within one-shot range though of his last phase. Act II though is a different story altogether. Are you going 1H (xbow?) and shield?

Hey Scy, do you know if your ferret crit on a mob it resets your sharpshooter buff?

FinKL

I've heard conflicting things:

Does grouping with people increase the drop rate / drop rarity of loot?

I've always thought the more people, the more mobs and more chance to drop because you are killing more mobs. MF is averaged over 4 people if more join.

MoosiferX

My account was "compromised" at some point last night. My wife and I were playing and when I logged on this morning all of my gear/stash/gold for my main character was gone. T.T Fortunately I have friends who can hook me up w/ temp. replacement stuffs, and it was only a mere Level 40, but still. At least none of my other classes were touched.

This is coming right after I did my annual system format to keep things so fresh and so clean so it kind of boggles my mind how this could happen.

As the current thread title suggests, I downloaded the mobile authenticator. I just really wish that Blizzard had something built in that checked where your IP was logging in from and stopped it if you were logging in from another country. I love the game too much to let this completely get me down, at least.

Opiate

Agreed. I guess I missed it earlier, how are you playing your DH? Act II up to the last fight is no problem. I'm still juuuuust within one-shot range though of his last phase. Act II though is a different story altogether. Are you going 1H (xbow?) and shield?

I'm not, actually. I'm using a 1120 DPS Bow with Dead Man's Legacy Quiver that has 11% boost to Elemental Arrow damage.

Hey Scy, do you know if your ferret crit on a mob it resets your sharpshooter buff?

Yes it does.

scy

Better get your gear in order! I can take the weaker elites in Act 3 with my monk but still a bit rough because of how hard they hit. I need to raise my resist/HP values while maintaining me DPS to do really well, heh.

My Monk has been sidelined for a bit since I wanted to try a high IAS/Movement Wizard build (that apparently blew up in popularity while I was still setting it up). By maybe next week I should have farmed enough to feel like going back to Monkpunching things in the face.

No idea. I've been meaning to check. I can get to that when I get off work in a few hours, I guess.

Edit: Or that. Oh man, those silly Ferrets!

Riggs

Banned

And lifesteal.

I have

350 Resistances
40k HP
40% lifesteal from nether tentacles + shadow power (this is nerfed to 5% in Inferno, of course)
+400 life on hit
I also (sometimes) run Guardian Sentry which grants another 15% damage reduction for a total of 80% damage reduction on top of my resistances/armor.

There you go.

I thought you were all about DPS? Man my DH sucks, sitting at 40K dps with Sharp Shooter, like 17K HP, resistances are complete crap atm. I die so freaking fast in Inferno I just gave up, can't even kill a pack of champs. Farming hell right now =/

To all the WDs trying to survive Inferno, unless you're in Act 1 (and even then), just drop the VQ+Dire Bears combo, it doesn't work. The bears are way too short range and you end up just popping all your cooldowns for VQ, throwing any survivability out of the window.

It's all about kiting, Splinters, 2.00+ Attack speed, 20k dps and some items with about 10-20 +mana regen. Here's my build:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#aZUdkP!VWe!aacZZc

Here are my stats :

SipwI.jpg

Always keep Grasp up, 80% slow is absolutely huge. That + the wall of zombies and you're in kiting heaven. Not only that, but Grasp and the wall of zombies deal a very impressive amount of damage while you Splinter them like a machine gun. You can switch the stats between more resistance or more health, but I like the resistance. With the Splinters being able to hit monsters not even in the screen, you must try never to get hit. If they get near you, pop Spirit Walk and run away. It's super refreshing not to have to worry about the cooldowns being up like with a VQ build.

The AWESOME thing about FS is that because your attack speed is so ridiculous, you almost always have fetishes summoned around you and they're by far the best pets a WD can have (dogs and gargs being useless in inferno), since they deal great damage and can distract+tank monsters for a while. I usually run around with at least 3 fetishes at ALL times.
Last evening I was having an absolutely awful time dealing with Act II Inferno, alongside Comcast issues. I tried to play around with varying Witch Doctor spells and builds and walked away just as frustrated as when I started.

I came upon this post and went ahead and gave it a try on Act I Inferno through the Crypts to King Leoric. Here's my commentary on a few select things:

Soul Harvest (Siphon)
I used this, maybe, twice. Sure, Soul Harvest is an amazing DPS boost, but mobs weren't ever getting close enough to me to use this.

Wall of Zombies (Unrelenting Grip)
Last night I had tried barricade, but, and this is more my problem, I can't figure out how to use this spell. Do I cast it on the mob? In front of me? Between me and the mob?

Fetish Army (Head Hunters)
Fetish Army practically seems like a must, if you're going to have pets, since they don't have health. Though I am curious why you would choose to have two more fetishists dealing poison damage, rather than decrease the CD.

Personally, I might toss out Soul Harvest and replace it with Hex (Hedge Magic). The occasional healing and CC might be useful, though I've not tested this in Act II. And I am finding Fetish Sycophants to be a mixed bag Passive Skill. It's not something I can count on all the time. I'm thinking Bad Medicine as a possible replacement, to complement Poison Darts and to keep some mobs from rushing me.

Here's my character's stats, with this build:

drlush04.jpg

TommyT

My account was "compromised" at some point last night. My wife and I were playing and when I logged on this morning all of my gear/stash/gold for my main character was gone. T.T Fortunately I have friends who can hook me up w/ temp. replacement stuffs, and it was only a mere Level 40, but still. At least none of my other classes were touched.

This is coming right after I did my annual system format to keep things so fresh and so clean so it kind of boggles my mind how this could happen.

As the current thread title suggests, I downloaded the mobile authenticator. I just really wish that Blizzard had something built in that checked where your IP was logging in from and stopped it if you were logging in from another country. I love the game too much to let this completely get me down, at least.

They kind of do already. If you have an authenticator attached and you use a different computer you're prompted for the authentication again.

Ferrio

Banned

And lifesteal.

I have

350 Resistances
40k HP
+400 life on hit

There you go.

But this all depends on shadow power though, so it's not much different than SS in the aspect that you need it up at key moments or you're toast. Which isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't seem any better/worse than a glass cannon SS build.

codecow

I've seen the plan go for 4-5mil on forums. I dunno what that is in real life dolla.

According to the spammer I saw this am 100k = $2. I got a plan for a hat with 4 affix, how much is that worth? I'd like to buy the Amulet to go with my legendary pants but they're 5m minimum :(

Opiate

I thought you were all about DPS? Man my DH sucks, sitting at 40K dps with Sharp Shooter, like 17K HP, resistances are complete crap atm. I die so freaking fast in Inferno I just gave up, can't even kill a pack of champs. Farming hell right now =/

I was. If you remember our last conversation on mumble, I've decided to try a shadow power + gloom build; so far it works, but I do die near the end of Act II fairly frequently on some elite packs, which tells me that I wouldn't do very well in Act III with this build.

At least, not yet. I'm going to push this build to see how far it can go. If it doesn't work in Act III/IV no matter how hard I try, oh well. Fun to try.

MoosiferX

They kind of do already. If you have an authenticator attached and you use a different computer you're prompted for the authentication again.

Oh for sure. I have no concerns now that I have the authenticator. I just wish that tech. was built in w/o the authenticator.

TommyT

I'm not, actually. I'm using a 1120 DPS Bow with Dead Man's Legacy Quiver that has 11% boost to Elemental Arrow damage.

Yes it does.

Ooo you edited. I'll look into those - I big upgrade in the weapon dept. would be nice... everything though is easily a few million (currently 952 dps, dex, 3% life from damage, 92% crit damage).

Damn ferrets!

edit I = A

Opiate

But this all depends on shadow power though, so it's not much different than SS in the aspect that you need it up at key moments or you're toast. Which isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't seem any better/worse than a glass cannon SS build.

So are we talking about tanking with no defensive abilities? Because I don't think even monks or warriors do that. I've seen Kripparian farm Acts III/IV, and he avoids mobs when ignore pain is not up, for instance. And only really fights elite packs with Wrath of the Berserker.

Maybe at some point we will outgear the need for any defensive abilities. But as someone who played SS for the first two weeks of the game's existance, trust me, Gloom/Shadow Power/Guardian Sentry tank build plays significantly differently than does SS/kite build.

Ferrio

Banned
Ooo you edited. I'll look into those - I big upgrade in the weapon dept. would be nice... everything though is easily a few million (currently 952 dps, dex, 3% life from damage, 92% crit damage).

Damn ferrets!

Do what I did, farm act 4 elites.

So are we talking about tanking with no defensive abilities? Because I don't think even monks or warriors do that. I've seen Kripparian farm Acts III/IV, and he avoids mobs when ignore pain is not up, for instance. And only really fights elite packs with Wrath of the Berserker.

Maybe at some point we will outgear the need for any defensive abilities. But as someone who played SS for the first two weeks of the game's existance, trust me, Gloom/Shadow Power plays significantly differently than does SS/kite build.

Not saying it isn't different. Just saying both are heavily dependant on a single discipline ability.

scy

If nothing else, it lets you not fear certain affixes on enemies, though you do lose the ability to CC break without SS (and/or need to slot SS as well just for CC breaking). Shadow Power, in it's current form, lasts longer than current Smokescreen so it's closer to old SS functionality for length of "immunity."

Plus, you don't get one-shotted embarrassingly by a Fallen. That's gotta be worth something, right? :x

LordCanti

If nothing else, it lets you not fear certain affixes on enemies, though you do lose the ability to CC break without SS (and/or need to slot SS as well just for CC breaking). Shadow Power, in it's current form, lasts longer than current Smokescreen so it's closer to old SS functionality for length of "immunity."

Plus, you don't get one-shotted embarrassingly by a Fallen. That's gotta be worth something, right? :x

I like getting one hit by a flower. Over, and over again.

scy

I like getting one hit by a flower. Over, and over again.

The amount of things my DH has been one-shotted by grows by day. Well, it did but I've run out of new enemies to one-shot her.

I uh ... I think it's time she moves on from Level 40 Gold Find equipment.

Opiate

Just some interesting analysis of the differences between my current build and the standard SS build:

Frozen enemies: much more dangerous with my current build. If you get frozen you have no way out, and if Shadow Power runs out during the time you're frozen you're dead for sure.

Vortex: much more dangerous with my current build as well. Since vortex tends to pull you in to large packs of enemies, I sometimes struggle with this. My tanking isn't really effective if I'm literally surrounded by 4-5 champion enemies, and since vortex is a type of CC I often can't push the shadow power button until I've already taken a hit am at 30% hp or something similar.

Fast: Much easier with my current build. I find fast impossible to kite with SS after the nerf; they just have a tendency to stick to you and never get off. Gloom makes this much easier to deal with.

Reflect Damage: much easier to deal with. Shadow Power + Nether Tentacles allows me to gain health while DPSing reflect damage mobs.

Teleport: easier. Unlike vortex, this means a single mob teleports to you, rather than being pulled in to all mobs. I can tank 1 teleporting mob, I just can't tank 4 mobs that pull me to them.

Jailer: Harder, for the same reason that frozen is harder.

So I'm more susceptible to CC, but able to go toe to toe better against other non-CC oriented champions. So far it's got strengths and weaknesses relative to the SS build, rather than being a obviously better in all situations or obviously worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom