• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems like the AH was designed as a core rather than supplementary feature of Diablo 3. The game was meant to be a massively mutiplayer treasure hunt. I don't have a problem with it at all, either. I like the freedom I have to create a new build based on a gear set rather than having to go back and create another character altogether. Some ideal pieces will still be super rare and therefore expensive, but I can at least experiment.

Yeah, I admit, I played most D2 with 1.09 I believe. But they had it at some point. And the overall progression in D3 is way more random in that you can get Barbarian helmets with intelligence. Not convinced that D2 allowed stuff like that, like giving you a barbarian only item with a stat "+1 on Paladin skill"

Except Int can be useful for barbs (resists), all the stats offer some benefit to everyone. It's not the same as a barb item with +1 for pally skills.

The one thing I will readily admit is that D2 launched with more interesting mods. There is a good amount of interesting mods in D3 but a lot of them are too uncommon, don't provide a big enough effect and arent "themed" enough on uniques. More uniques should be built with special guaranteed mods in mind, like the 100% pierce on Buriza. There should be more mods that affect specific skills or defend against specific enemy attacks. Just more flavor all around.

There are some pros to D3 itemization too though, like the basic stats just being way more elegant, some of the health globe mods are cool (though overused), and the resource mods are more special because there's no stupid mana everywhere.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
They would have to change how melee mobs work. You could trivialize a lot of stuff by just pulling back any time a melee animation starts.

You can dodge ranged arrows for example, you just have to be SUPER on the ball about it (and have good latency, which is a real problem at times I agree) and move as soon as the animation starts.

Yeah, I agree. Thats something they probably cant change at this point anymore. The whole game engine is working that way. Doesnt change the fact that its an issue, and that games that flawlessly integrated the other (precise) option worked better in that regard, since it gave the player a more clear visual hint on whether they are going to get hit or not. That sometimes feels a bit too random in D3 for me.

They would have to change how melee mobs work. You could trivialize a lot of stuff by just pulling back any time a melee animation starts.

You can dodge ranged arrows for example, you just have to be SUPER on the ball about it (and have good latency, which is a real problem at times I agree) and move as soon as the animation starts.

Easy.

Check Player location is within melee range when Animation finishes.

Not at the beginning.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Easy.

Check Player location is within melee range when Animation finishes.

Not at the beginning.

Its a bit more tricky than that I assume. They will also have balanced the game more or less with that in mind. Precise hitboxes would be optimal but I doubt they could easily integrate it at this stage.

Still, its a valid issue that other games did far better.

Toma

Except Int can be useful for barbs (resists), all the stats offer some benefit to everyone. It's not the same as a barb item with +1 for pally skills.

The one thing I will readily admit is that D2 launched with more interesting mods. There is a good amount of interesting mods in D3 but a lot of them are too uncommon, don't provide a big enough effect and arent "themed" enough on uniques. More uniques should be built with special guaranteed mods in mind, like the 100% pierce on Buriza. There should be more mods that affect specific skills or defend against specific enemy attacks. Just more flavor all around.

There are some pros to D3 itemization too though, like the basic stats just being way more elegant, some of the health globe mods are cool (though overused), and the resource mods are more special because there's no stupid mana everywhere.

Somehow they managed to include less flavor and options than in D2, but made loot seem less usable. I got the impression that I found more useful items in D2 than I do now in D3. Maybe it more or less has to do with how the game decides the random values on rare items, meaning that many rare items in D2 were indeed good whereas most rare items (and legendaries) in D3 are completely dropout.

LordCanti

Personally the AH has been my favorite part of the whole game.

I second this. It's a real treasure hunt, compared to actually playing the game (in act 2 of Inferno at least, with junk drops).

Speaking of which...all the items I thought didn't go through...went through. I now have a lot of stuff to flip. This was unexpected and while not unwanted, not how the AH should behave.

I'm going to guess it's going to come out in the next few days that there's other methods being used than catch-all "you got keylogged" reasoning.

Ferrio

Banned
I wish the skill mods on items were better. The one I've seen for Impale for the DH only decreases the hatred 1-2 points. The move costs 25 hatred.

Macmanus

What type of game is this? I've played better loot games, personally.

I'm pretty sure most of us in here have played D2.

I wish the skill mods on items were better. The one I've seen for Impale for the DH only decreases the hatred 1-2 points. The move costs 25 hatred.

They're fairly terrible across the board. When they decide to alter stats a bit I hope this is one of the avenues they approach first.

Toma

That doesn't address my point. I'm not saying they can't change it, I'm saying it would trivialize a lot of melee mobs that don't have very fast animations on their attacks.

Yeah, they'd need to change the flow of the game. Making those mobs a bit faster etc., which is why they won't do it. But honestly, which system would you prefer if both were balanced around it if you could freely choose? D3's or Titan Quest's?

I don't see why someone should choose D3's system over the precise hitboxes. Its just missing a certain feedback for the player. Like how walking into a Goomba will kill you in Mario, so you know you won't do that exact thing again and learned how to avoid it. D3 doesnt give you any guideline how to avoid it, or which attacks are avoidable. Even if you got hit, it doesnt mean you actually understand why you got hit. Its just a weirdly designed in that aspect.

Somehow they managed to include less flavor and options than in D2, but made loot seem less usable. I got the impression that I found more useful items in D2 than I do now in D3. Maybe it more or less has to do with how the game decides the random values on rare items, meaning that many rare items in D2 were indeed good whereas most rare items (and legendaries) in D3 are completely dropout.

At any point in its lifespan most rare items in D2 were terrible. I threw away 95% of those Akara rings and Charsi imbues, for example. Also in D2 if you did public runs you would basically never get good items because a bot would vacuum them up, which I hated.

The real issue about usability is just that the legendaries and set items aren't up to snuff. The issue is actually just one of psychology regarding the color of the items label, it sounds stupid but it's actually all it is. Right now there aren't enough different colors of items dropping that are actually good, to excite you with that slot machine payout. It actually amazes me that Blizzard missed this since they are generally good at player psychology and slot machine gameplay, but I guess it's because they added itemization last and rushed it, which sounds strange but explains a lot.

D2 vanilla was the same way, you quickly learned that brown/green items were just cool for flavor but sucked, unless it was a ring, a skullcap or some other handful of things.

What those handful of good uniques did have though was special mods that weren't available on rares that kept them relevant far beyond their level range. They do need more of that in this game.

Macmanus

It seems like the AH was designed as a core rather than supplementary feature of Diablo 3. The game was meant to be a massively mutiplayer treasure hunt. I don't have a problem with it at all, either. I like the freedom I have to create a new build based on a gear set rather than having to go back and create another character altogether. Some ideal pieces will still be super rare and therefore expensive, but I can at least experiment.

Completely agree. When I geared my first character out half way through normal act II way back on that fateful launch day and realized the potential of the AH - the ability to sample EVERY class with general ease - I was blown away.

It just made me laugh every time I saw some myopic post about how the AH breaks the game. No man, it opens it up more so than any other iteration.

At any point in its lifespan most rare items in D2 were terrible..

Obviously you're post LoD. For quite some time rares had significant value. I remember building a barbarian around a fantastic rare lance I found and it was a fantastic character for quite some time.

Toma

At any point in its lifespan most rare items in D2 were terrible. I threw away 95% of those Akara rings and Charsi imbues, for example. Also in D2 if you did public runs you would basically never get good items because a bot would vacuum them up, which I hated.

That part just reminded me how much I hated D2 MP. Always striving with the other players for what loot to pick up..

So glad that the single loot per player is now a feature in these games.

hey, a freerider from neogaf added me to friends list..

who is this?

message me because your list is full

anyway, I just got to act 2 on hell.. I'm looking for people to play with! :)

add me, I'm a 54 demon hunter

pinksocking#1405

Loofy

There is unavoidable damage and avoidable damage in this game, just like in WOW. This prevents people from kiting everything to death while being undergeared. I understand why some (most people here for sure) don't like it, but I completely understand Blizzard's decision.
Then give monsters leap or a short ranged attack. Invisible range is just lazy.

That doesn't address my point. I'm not saying they can't change it, I'm saying it would trivialize a lot of melee mobs that don't have very fast animations on their attacks.

Practically all of them except the early zombies have quick attack animations.

When I'm tumbling past enemies, I don't need to die because I'm already off the screen and they just started to attack.

Toma

Then give monsters leap or a short ranged attack. Invisible range is just lazy.

More or less, yeah. I can't think of any logical reason to use this method over the precise hitboxes. Anyone got one?

Thoraxes

lol some of you guys are trying a bit too hard. There are a lot of issues currently, and though some people exaggerate them, it's good to make a lot of noise about them so that Blizzard gets a fire under their ass to fix it. I think the core combat and mechanics of the game are good enough to warrant this effort, some people may feel otherwise.

I'm a huge Blizzard fanboy but it's good to keep things in perspective.

One thing I like about them though, is that for the most part (because yes, things happen), they're good about testing their builds before they release them.

Yeah, they'd need to change the flow of the game. Making those mobs a bit faster etc., which is why they won't do it. But honestly, which system would you prefer if both were balanced around it if you could freely choose? D3's or Titan Quest's?

I don't see why someone should choose D3's system over the precise hitboxes. Its just missing a certain feedback for the player. Like how walking into a Goomba will kill you in Mario, so you know you won't do that exact thing again. D3 doesnt give you any guideline how to avoid it, or which attacks are avoidable. Even if you got hit, it doesnt mean you actually understand why you got hit. Its just a weirdly designed in that aspect.

I just want any game that pitches itself as "action" something to be based on what I see on screen. If I think it's fun to dodge melee hits by pixel then it's fun. Besides, how does that possibly even matter overall when you have teleporting and "phasing" and vortex mobs? It's just a minor detail that annoys. It's fine if WOW does weird ass hit box stuff that doesn't follow what I see on screen, it's why I don't play those. I'm disappointed that they changed that here and it's just not expected.

I guess if you consider this a WOW variant instead of a Diablo, it's fine? It's just one more symptom of how this is obviously not the D2 design philosophy being carried on.

The other thing is how disappointing Blizzard has been in general these modern releases. SC2 and D3 lore just got lobotomized into utter crap, everything dark visions and prophecy and it's gone from 3 distinct tones in their properties to just Warcraft, Warcraft in space, Warcraft in hell.

Trickster

Personally the AH has been my favorite part of the whole game.

Meh, atm the AH is to cumbersome for my taste.

You can't sort by time left. Would have been fun trying to get items for cheap just as their about to run out.

You can't search for set items only. For some reason they are part of the legendary items.

You can only search based on 3 affixes, why limit it at 3 affixes? Makes no sense whatsoever.

No way to just search for all weapon types at once, only those that the class you've currently selected can use.

Searching for Blacksmithing plans, you can't actually see what kind of item the plan is for. You'd have to go and use the diablo 3 database or something to find that out.

If I want a helmet with all resistance, why can't I sort through the helmets so I get the helmets with most all resistance at the top of the list, and the ones with least all resistance at the bottom? It's such a fucking chore having to manually check each and every helmet even after I set a minimum value for a certain stat.

etc etc.

they need to revamp the AH tbh, it's badly designed atm, which makes it annoying to use imo.

LordCanti

I'm going to guess it's going to come out in the next few days that there's other methods being used than catch-all "you got keylogged" reasoning.

Sure there are. Phishing scams where they send out a fake e-mail supposedly from Blizzard are probably even more prevalent. People click the e-mail, enter in their info, and since there is no authenticator, the person gets right onto their account.

Toma

Where are some nice places to farm in NM? :)

The best place to farm is almost always the last act you managed to survive. There are no more dedicated "farming spots".

Although if you are desperate you could take on easy quests and repeat those over and over again, like the Wortham one, worth 25k I believe.

colinp

Banned
Is the AH worthwhile on Normal? I'm just a lvl 11 or 12 Wizard, still on Act 1, and things seem toooooo expensive on the AH...

Twinduct

Ignore if old; Found on reddit

d3stupid.jpg

Varna

Friend bought this for me since I'm the only other person he knows that games on PC.

Pretty lame. I can't even create an account for this thing. Email is already in use... I've never touched battle.net. I can't recover my password since I never created an account and I'm missing the name of the account. Of course I can't even submit a support ticket without being logged in... no live chat and support center won't connect my call (phone queue is full).

pigeon

Banned
Sure there are. Phishing scams where they send out a fake e-mail supposedly from Blizzard are probably even more prevalent. People click the e-mail, enter in their info, and since there is no authenticator, the person gets right onto their account.

Probably the quickest way to hack a bunch of accounts if you wanted to would be to hunt down a list of battle.net emails and go down the list trying the password "password" on each one. As a benefit, the people whose accounts you get into almost certainly don't have authenticators.

Is the AH worthwhile on Normal? I'm just a lvl 11 or 12 Wizard, still on Act 1, and things seem toooooo expensive on the AH...

Don't stress out about the AH till you hit the harder modes. It isn't worth the madness of trying to filter through loads of crap clicking and hoping that you get what you bid for.

Trickster

If you wanna make it super super easy mode, go buy weapons on the AH. They hardly cost anything on the lower levels. Just bought 2 great axes for my 25 monk for 5k gold per axe, that boosted my dmg like crazy.

Friend bought this for me since I'm the only other person he knows that games on PC.

Pretty lame. I can't even create an account for this thing. Email is already in use... I've never touched battle.net. I can't recover my password since I never created an account and I'm missing the name of the account. Of course I can't even submit a support ticket without being logged in... no live chat and support center won't connect my call (phone queue is full).

When I went to start this game 3 of my email accounts were attatched to battle.net accounts and I never had a battle.net account before. It is crazy... Best of luck.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom

Rare pelts, circlets, rings, ammys, boots and gloves have always been high end items in D2.

vilmer_

Ugghh my cousin lost all of his characters on his account :( He wasn't hacked and has an authenticator, rather he had cancelled his annual WoW sub and lost access to the game on his account. I ordered it online for him from the Diablo 3 site and he went to log in and poof all gone... There goes our venture into Inferno tonite...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom