• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

So what do i go for in terms of stats on gear? go all out INT? some resist? doesn't look like you have a ton of resist.

just need to know what order of stats to go for like INT > VIT > RESIST etc.

I'd say for Wizard aim for 35k+ HP, +25% Movement Speed, ~1000 INT, and 2.3-2.5+ Attacks per Second

In that order, though maybe 25% Movement before (or simultaneously with?) the HP. Basically, I aimed for getting myself to 25% Movement and ~2.5 APS and kept my HP close to 40k (it's normally at that, I swapped to MF% Helm for progression since the HP wasn't needed) with around 30k DPS pre-Magic Weapon.

What I did was geared my Movement Speed to 25% (Unity Ring, Lacuni Prowlers Bracers, and 12% Movement boots) and get my APS to 2.5+ (Gloves, one Ring, Amulet, Lacuni Prowlers, Weapon). These slots were pretty much set in stone so I tried to get INT and/or VIT on them as well to get the most out of the slots.

The rest of my slots just focused on as much INT/VIT I could get (Shoulders, Helm, Chest, Belt, Pants all have 100 INT/VIT minimum) without much concern for Resists or anything else for the time being.

True, but my point was that D3 could have used a few more levels. Maybe 5 or levels to progress through on inferno?

I feel like the loot was meant to be the progression, hence why each Act has it's own Tier, but the little loopholes and other things kind of killed that. Personally, I'm find farming a single Act forever to make progress since that's what Inferno was supposed to be. I kind of wish Act 2 equipment had a "Requirement Act 2" on it or something.

KKRT00

Strongly disagree. Leveling past 90 was simply intended to make even the hardest content in the game completely irrelevant and wasn't a necessary part of the game at all. It was, again, just something you did so that you could farm the content more easily than you already could at that point.

Now gearing has a progressive purpose. It's much better than Diablo 2 in this regard and I really would not want to go back to a game without inferno. Personally, I'm hopeful inferno will be made harder -- I was expecting it to take 3-6 months, mostly because that precisely what Blizzard told us. It's kind of disappointing that I'm already progressing through Act III 2 weeks out in a game that's supposed to last 5-10 years.
What gearing? I havent found even one decent items on act 1 inferno that i could replace on my Monk. Its not gearing, its farming gold for act 3/4 gear. Thats not progression, thats pay/trade to win.
Inferno is broken, it cant be described otherwise. Its also designed completely opposite to what they told us it would be [farming bosses/chest/exploited spots instead of just playing a game].

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Ok..I'm only on Nightmare mode, but damn..I just die over and over again.

I'm a Wizard, not sure about all my stats but Im 49 with just over 2k dmg. and 6k health :/

I put on as much Int. high armor and wep. as possible but I feel like Ive shorted myself on Vitality for HP's.
I find myself getting one-shotted alot. I think people get annoyed playing with me :/

I dont see how you guys make money to spend at the AH, most Ive had at one time was 110k maybe. All my money goes to repairs or potions...

I think my build might be fucking me up. Decided to play my guy as a Ice Wizard, took all the ice skills accept Ice Hydra, instead Ive been using the Tornado spell.
I have some succes, throwing an ice storm down then placing whirlwinds that stay in place inside the storm while blasting it with the cold ray. Defensively of course I got diamond skin (to me its ice!), Ice armor, and the AoE insta freeze. Usually if things get hairy I can freeze the surrounding area and run, pop on DS for a quick 3 sec absorb.

Maybe I should just start putting on high def/vitality shit and mix and match spell types, cause this shit isnt working out.

Screenshot016.jpg

Get some VIT gear ASAP. I rarely spend in the AH (100k max from level 20-50). My VIT and INT are pretty much equal. You probably don't have to go to this extreme, but it helps.

I have a low DPS but just solo'd Diablo last week in NM on my first try. Didn't even use a potion, lol. I was only 49 so I had to grind some more to unlock hell.

I used diamond skin, freeze, venom hydra, energy armor, and arcane orb. I'm a noob and never realized the huge DPS boost I could have gotten from magic weapon.

Opiate

What gearing? I havent found even one decent items on act 1 inferno that i could replace on my Monk. Its not gearing, its farming gold for act 3/4 gear. Thats not progression, thats pay/trade to win.

Right, most of my upgrades are coming from the AH as well. That's upgrading. Why would upgrading be exclusively defined as "things that dropped for you personally?"

Inferno is broken, it cant be described otherwise.

I am describing it otherwise. What do you say now? "Nuh uh?" Then I reply "yuh huh."

Its also designed completely opposite to what they told us it will be [farming bosses/chest/exploited spots instead of just playing a game].

I'm farming the game, personally. I'm doing (nearly) full Act I/II runs. But yes, I definitely feel that a few exploitative spots -- a treasure goblin here, an easy named there -- need to be closed up to prevent that sort of farming.

JimmyBoy

Sonofabitch. I'm not mad I'm just disappointed. Never played hardcore before.
I'm not sure if I can go back to playing softcore. Gad damnit. So bittersweet.

Oh2v1.jpg

balddemon

Banned
I didn't really need to start thinking about life on hit until act 2 but looks like you just need to worry about increasing your armor, resist all, and vitality if you want to survive act 1. What build are you using? I don't think your resists are even that bad for act 1 (and only for act 1, they'll definitely need to be higher for act 2) considering you should be using war cry to boost them

thing is, that is what they are with war cry activated.

skill here

NUQRi.png

Opiate

I feel that grinding for loot to sell so I can buy the items that drop in later acts to progress is ridiculous.

At least that's the case for Barbarians.

We don't have a large enough data set to know for sure yet, but I don't think this is the case for Barbarians. Given 3-6 months of consistent Act I/II farming, I'm quite confident that the loot would have dropped in order to progress to III/IV. It's exceptionally rare in acts I/II, but it exists.

The AH simply accelerates this process from 3-6 months in to 2-3 weeks instead.

scy

As far as Inferno is concerned, "broken" or "fine" largely depends on perception. I was anticipating being done with Inferno in July, spending a week or so per Inferno Act. I'm disappointed with how easy Inferno has basically been (for my non-Monk characters).

I guess it comes down to this: For those who think Inferno is broken, how long were you expecting it to take to clear?

I'm farming the game, personally. I'm doing (nearly) full Act I/II runs. But yes, I definitely feel that a few exploitative spots -- a treasure goblin here, an easy named there -- need to be closed up to prevent that sort of farming.

And/or Nephalem Valor be made better. I mean, +75 MF/GF is nice but stacking to 250-300% before killing a named or opening a chest kind of overshadows NV. I can Gob farm on my DH with complete garbage gear but ~210% MF without any issue. My Wizard needs NV to get to 150% for Act clears.

Mairu

thing is, that is what they are with war cry activated.

skill here

NUQRi.png

Pretty typical, but for Inferno you probably should start using Ignore Pain (with the 7 seconds rune), it helps a lot for surviving when you're using both cooldowns as well as in any other situation to try and live long enough for another revenge to proc. Sidearm is generally more useful in Inferno over Maniac as well. Here's my build, which is fairly standard: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WTRVkP!bVe!abZccZ

But yeah, for act 1 to start you just need to worry about boosting vitality, armor, and all resist. Damage doesn't really matter yet. Just buy an ok dps (700+) blue on the auction house to cover your damage if you start losing a lot of strength in exchange for stamina/all resist

Lesath

Well fuck Act 2. I can do butcher runs with 5 stacks with my eyes closed at this point( and have close to a dozen times), but Act 2 just decimates me. Any special mob instantly gibs me, and those fucking flys are just dumb. I have stacked physical for one with everything, and got a sub par magic item with 850 dps and 24 attack speed for raw damage. Not sure what do now that I'm shit broke besides run butcher for another week.

Here are my stats :/

Act 2 has a harsher gear check. I have about 800 to resist and 5.9k armor unbuffed and twice your DPS; stuff still kills me at times.

balddemon

Banned
np blame space
Pretty typical, but for Inferno you probably should start using Ignore Pain (with the 7 seconds rune), it helps a lot for surviving when you're using both cooldowns as well as in any other situation to try and live long enough for another revenge to proc. Sidearm is generally more useful in Inferno over Maniac as well. Here's my build, which is fairly standard: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WTRVkP!bVe!abZccZ

But yeah, for act 1 to start you just need to worry about boosting vitality, armor, and all resist. Damage doesn't really matter yet. Just buy an ok dps (700+) blue on the auction house to cover your damage if you start losing a lot of strength in exchange for stamina/all resist

why is sidearm better? what about ignorance is bliss? also yeah my weapon is 690dps blue lol

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Honestly? A faster 1H + ~130 AvgDmg Source is probably better in the long run.

...for 100k, thats beastly though. I'd probably give it to my Enchantress though :x

Makes those deals you do find all the better! Nobody else can find it either

5000 Armor/500 Resistances is more raw mitigation and probably cheaper to have reached money wise since everyone overprices All Resists and underprices +Armor.

Armor doesn't stop magical damage, and I'm pretty sure those fire bombs and morters killing are magic.

You guys reckon hellracks are worth it? plenty of them seem to have sockets and attack speed bonus, anything rare crossbow wise over 1k dps goes for retarded money.

Gotchaye

Right, most of my upgrades are coming from the AH as well. That's upgrading. Why would upgrading be exclusively defined as "things that dropped for you personally?"

The AH is qualitatively different from finding good drops. I think many people (I make no claims about percentages) enjoy playing the game largely solo, and enjoy the feeling of getting lucky and finding a great piece of gear. You can squat the AH and bargain hunt, but that doesn't feel like playing a game (to many people). However, drop rates are set pretty low such that a typical Barb player is going to need a long, long time to get to the end of Inferno without the AH - that probably would be more like the 3-6 months Blizzard mentioned.

The AH also trivializes what you find, because nothing you find compares to even relatively cheap gear on the AH. The sense people get from the AH is that "everyone" else is having much more success at the game than you are. It can be difficult to feel accomplished after beating the Butcher if you only beat it with items that drop in Act 2 or 3 or 4, when (obviously) there are people who had to beat the Butcher without those items, and it can feel a little like cheating to be making use of stuff that you could not possibly have obtained by yourself.

And I do think the brief periods where some exploit or too-easy farming area is available make people perceive the AH in a different way. For many, the AH is going to seem like a system that allows people who played the game the "wrong" way to profit off of that.

I'm not saying that nobody can enjoy the AH, but I get why it bugs a lot of people. If I could choose to play a character with no AH or trading and about 5x the magic find, I would.

I completely agree with you that it was a good decision to make Inferno as hard as it is and to stop character progression at 60. However, I do think that the way they've handled the item tiers makes Inferno not an optional difficulty. I think I would have preferred for Inferno to give you bonuses to magic find without opening up new tiers of equipment. That way you don't /have/ to play Inferno to get the best stuff, although if you can farm Inferno efficiently that would be the best option, and it's much more of an optional challenge for people who want to try to find nearly perfect gear and take on super-hard enemies.

Mairu

np blame space

why is sidearm better? what about ignorance is bliss? also yeah my weapon is 690dps blue lol

Sidearm just generally works out to more damage than Maniac, but I even started out using Maniac for quite awhile. It's enough damage for single target and helps out way more than slightly more damage anytime you're on more than one mob. Ignorance is Bliss is relatively pointless, the duration increase is just much better and helps out a lot more for trying to stay alive before the next revenge proc or to give you enough time to get out of a tough situation.

edit: Oh, and I think the sidearm procs have a slight interrupt component to them at least for mobs that have a wind up attack, but this may be wrong~

Won

WOOOOO. Rakanoth down! Stupid, stupid, stupid boss, but not even that design failure is able to stop my Strafe run through Inferno! Yay me!

But I will forever hate the fact that I had to use Smoke Screen. :(

KKRT00

As far as Inferno is concerned, "broken" or "fine" largely depends on perception. I was anticipating being done with Inferno in July, spending a week or so per Inferno Act. I'm disappointed with how easy Inferno has basically been (for my non-Monk characters).

I guess it comes down to this: For those who think Inferno is broken, how long were you expecting it to take to clear?

Easy? By easy You mean stacking dps and kiting to infinity or skipping bad Elite spawns?

And 'clearing Inferno' is part of it being broken. It shouldnt be linear progression, there should be harder and easier areas in every act, there should be group only dungeons and so on. Even mod for Diablo 2 MedianXL has something like this implemented as heroic zones. Inferno difficulty shouldnt be determined by giving npc 10x higher damage and 10x life, but by giving them new abilities and changing environment.

scy

Armor doesn't stop magical damage, and I'm pretty sure those fire bombs and morters killing are magic.

Armor is general Damage Reduction (all forms, not just Physical). There's also the diminishing returns (yes, I know how EHP factors them) on a per point basis. There's also the AH cost of the items to think of where high All Resists starts costing a ton and good Resists with high +Armor (or even good +STR or +INT) are a lot cheaper.

LuchaShaq

Banned
When do resists start to matter? Physical resist/magic resist? Or do you save very specific "fire/ice/lightning" resists and use them accordingly? See stuff like "5 stacks of blank resistance" and I'm confused as fuck.

Level 46 barb having an easy time on Nightmare so far (except when the whole floor is poisoned/fired) but not sure what I should be saving.

Big-E

Fucking getting my ass raped on the final boss in nightmare. I am playing on US servers in China because that is where my friends are but I just cant beat that fucker solo. My lag is around 300-500 and i just cant seem to avoid the attacks. Whenever I vault it is too late I get hit anyway so I swapped that out.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Armor is general Damage Reduction (all forms, not just Physical). There's also the diminishing returns (yes, I know how EHP factors them) on a per point basis. There's also the AH cost of the items to think of where high All Resists starts costing a ton and good Resists with high +Armor (or even good +STR or +INT) are a lot cheaper.
The tool tip says only physical, source saying otherwise?

scy

Easy? By easy You mean stacking dps and kiting to infinity or skipping bad Elite spawns?

And 'clearing Inferno' is part of it being broken. It shouldnt be linear progression, there should be harder and easier areas in every act, there should be group only dungeons and so on. Level difficulty shouldnt be determined by giving npc 10x higher damage and 10x life, but by giving them new abilities and changing environment. Even mod for Diablo 2 MedianXL has something like this implemented as heroic zones.

My DH has fairly low DPS and HP, Armor, Resists, etc. and isn't really having an issue. My Wizard is much the same, though I guess the fact I'm ignoring Resists fits the "stacking DPS" thing.

I don't disagree that Inferno is lazy design. I just don't think it's that hard in the grand scheme of things. I wish they had done more to it instead of bigger numbers since bigger numbers doesn't necessarily change much.

The tool tip says only physical, source saying otherwise?

In-game tooltip says all damage, not physical only.

Edit: If you want, I guess I can test it again. I don't know if I have any of my damage testing notes saved anywhere from before. I'd also guess that somewhere on the D3 number crunching forums there's some tests as well.

There's also the fact that the Damage Reduction formula is known:

Damage * (1 - ArmorDR%) * (1 - ElementalDR%) * (1 - OtherDR%)

Armor is the catch-all, Resists is the separate category per type.

Opiate

The AH is qualitatively different from finding good drops. I think many people (I make no claims about percentages) enjoy playing the game largely solo, and enjoy the feeling of getting lucky and finding a great piece of gear. You can squat the AH and bargain hunt, but that doesn't feel like playing a game (to many people). However, drop rates are set pretty low such that a typical Barb player is going to need a long, long time to get to the end of Inferno without the AH - that probably would be more like the 3-6 months Blizzard mentioned.

I think most do not enjoy playing the game solo. D2JSP and its astounding popularity attest to this, but we have no way to measure this definitively.

It is fair to say that the "solo players" have lost out, though. Blizzard has clearly decided to cater to people like me (And presumably D2JSP users), who vastly prefer having a robust trading system in place. If you want a single player game, then yes, you lose. I also wish games like Hearts of Iron or highly complex RTS could be made more frequently and with greater production values, but they aren't that popular so I lose out. Oh well.

The AH also trivializes what you find, because nothing you find compares to even relatively cheap gear on the AH.

So did D2JSP. Fun fact: there are currently more users browsing the D2JSP Diablo III trading forums than there are people browsing the entirety of NeoGAF, Gaming/Off Topic/Community combined. And in case you thought this was a fluke -- before Diablo III's release, there were more people browsing the DII trading forums than NeoGaf, as well. As recently as six months ago!

It seems very apparent to me that the solo/I-don't-want-to-trade player is clearly the minority here, and likely by a wide margin. I'm sorry if that's what you wanted.

This is exactly like D2, man- you would never find the best gear in D2 solo, ever. playing a purely single player game you would hardly even find uniques, just like here.

isny

napkin dispenser
Well fuck Act 2. I can do butcher runs with 5 stacks with my eyes closed at this point( and have close to a dozen times), but Act 2 just decimates me. Any special mob instantly gibs me, and those fucking flys are just dumb. I have stacked physical for one with everything, and got a sub par magic item with 850 dps and 24 attack speed for raw damage. Not sure what do now that I'm shit broke besides run butcher for another week.

Here are my stats :/

I don't think I could ever gimp myself that much just to get all resist gear. And even then, with that much of it, you're still getting your ass handed to you.

Here are my stats, and I also get my ass handed to me by act II inferno, but have no issues whatsoever in soloing anything else. I'm at a loss right now, if they don't change something in the next patch I'm probably just going to give up on the Barb and roll something else.

Narag

So did D2JSP. Fun fact: there are currently more users browsing the D2JSP Diablo III trading forums than there are people browsing the entirety of NeoGAF, Gaming/Off Topic/Community combined. And in case you thought this was a fluke -- before Diablo III's release, there were more people browsing the DII trading forums than NeoGaf, as well. As recently as six months ago!

As I recall from the xkcd map of the Internet threads, people were astounded by just how active d2jsp is.

scy

As I recall from the xkcd map of the Internet threads, people were astounded by just how active d2jsp is.

I can attest to that. I knew of it but wasn't aware just how sophisticated their whole economy was. It's pretty much the AH of Diablo 2. With better uptime.

Snookie

Can someone point me to a good dh build. I'm 52 I have a little over 10k dips and 20k hp. Not really sure what I should be focusing on at this point for hell

Wallach

You guys reckon hellracks are worth it? plenty of them seem to have sockets and attack speed bonus, anything rare crossbow wise over 1k dps goes for retarded money.

They're solid bows, but you'd have to get one pretty cheap to make it really worthwhile over snagging a rare/magical that had higher DPS. Are you on US or EU server? If US I can directly help you get a solid weapon into your hands.

isny

napkin dispenser
Can someone point me to a good dh build. I'm 52 I have a little over 10k dips and 20k hp. Not really sure what I should be focusing on at this point for hell

That's high dps for your level. You probably need a bit more health to survive through Hell. Also crit chance helps quite a bit.

Opiate

This really cannot be understated. Do people here know that D2JSP rivals GAF in traffic, and that their Diablo II trading forums had as many viewers as the entirety of GAF in its pre-D3 heyday?

Trading was already going on -- and on a massive scale -- in Diablo 2. It was not a small niche that only a few players knew about.

Wallach

That's high dps for your level. You probably need a bit more health to survive through Hell. Also crit chance helps quite a bit.

Nah his HP is more than enough for Hell, even if he isn't doing a glass cannon type setup.

Through hell I'd probably run something like this: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aRXVjZ!aYe!YZZcYZ

Frost Arrow can be pretty much whatever AoE you want, I just really like Elemental Arrow (Multishot w/ Fire at Will is another decent choice for the instant stagger). Impale isn't necessary for single target either and you could run something like 80%/root Caltrops if you find yourself wanting it (or just wanting to learn how to use them better for Inferno or something).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I'm getting towards the end of Nightmare with my Wizard, and I've pretty much settled into an Arcane-style build. Magic Missle, Arcane Orb, Arcane Hydra, Archon, Magic Weapon, with a touch of Frost Nova for CC. Is that a pretty safe bet later on in late-Hell and Inferno?

Opiate

Here's an example to highlight how popular D2JSP is: when I played Diablo 2 again last year in preparation for Diablo 3, I went on D2JSP to trade for an item -- specifically, a 5 open socket phase blade in order to make a "Grief" runeword sword. I wanted a superior one that had 15 damage / 3 crit added on. This is an extremely rare item that you likely would never see even if you played Diablo 2 for years and ran Baal endlessly. Despite this, I got 5-6 replies offering to sell me this Phase Blade within seconds of posting the request. An incredibly rare item listed 5 times, and not in minutes -- seconds.

HenryHSH

We don't have a large enough data set to know for sure yet, but I don't think this is the case for Barbarians. Given 3-6 months of consistent Act I/II farming, I'm quite confident that the loot would have dropped in order to progress to III/IV. It's exceptional rare in acts I/II, but it exists.

The AH simply accelerates this process from 3-6 months in to 2-3 weeks instead.

You're actually right. From the 50+ warden & butcher runs I've done, I say it's possible to get good enough gear for act 2 but with the amount of randomness it will take a very long time.

And since the game is broken and unbalanced, people have made it through inferno by exploiting the game. Endgame gear is in the AH and given how the game works, it's faster to get gold to buy the things you need than farm for it.

The other problem? If you want to grind for gear, you pretty much have to do it solo, since the more people you have with you the more ridiculously hard it gets to tank. Scaling is broken. Farming is boring without friends to mess around with.

Whats the best act 2 farming spot for inferno? Ive done a 5 stack Maghda twice now and im finally at the point where i feel i can comfortably kill champs in this act, even though it will be less yellows / hour, the average ilvl should be higher

Do champs get substantially harder throughout the act? Whats the equivalent of warden/butcher farming in act 2?

The other problem? If you want to grind for gear, you pretty much have to do it solo, since the more people you have with you the more ridiculously hard it gets to tank. Scaling is broken. Farming is boring without friends to mess around with.

I do 2 person butcher runs all the time and if anything its easier than solo. Last night i did a few 4 mans and we were straight up melting shit

This is exactly like D2, man- you would never find the best gear in D2 solo, ever. playing a purely single player game you would hardly even find uniques, just like here.
I couldn't possibly disagree more. I played D2 for 10 years or so and found plenty of gear for my characters to use (all of it actually). And I found unique and set items every time I played....so I don't know what you are talking about. I never traded once.

Wallach

Well, this is only partially true. The drop rate of uniques was clearly higher than in this game. It's very, very apparent and absolutely necessary given how the AH makes the interconnected pool of players so much higher (and because they are now trying to tie the game's economy to the value of these items). Now you definitely would almost never find really top shelf gear playing solo for sure, but in terms of set/unique items actually dropping at all it was clearly more often in D2. Even from launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom