• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dina

Gotcha, I didn't realize that.

But I would still say that is the reason they didn't give you more defensive tools. They've said in blue posts they want to give the pets more survivability.

Yeah, most faults the WD has don't show up until right until the end, quite similar with the Monk and the Barb.

Basically, you have two options. You either go a VQ build (meaning that you get 300% mana regen when you have 4 spells on cooldown, which you can spam your heavy bat-nuke with). This works, but the downside is that you don't have your defensive spell (spirit walk) when you need it, say to break a jail or frozen. You can manage in Act 1, but you need your defensive cooldowns in Act 2. It just doesn't work well in Inferno solo, maybe in groups but that's a big if.

So that leaves splinter spam, which is what most WDs end up doing. Does good dps, has insane slows and a good wall-off spell. It works well so I can't complain much, but having one defensive cooldown (spirit walk) on a 15 sec cooldown just pales in comparison to Diamond Skin/Force Armor and multiple consecutive Smokescreens.

What also doesn't help is that the manaregen is balls on a Witch Doctor. With enough attackspeed (which is what works as a WD), you can go oom just spamming your primary attack splinters and little else. It's not a free spell like the Wizard has, and there are no Manabuilders (some spells can be runed so that it gives a part of the mana spend back tho) like the Monk or the Barb.

Insane gear aside, of course, I feel there is little reason to roll WD when you can kite, dps and survive better with a Wizard. All the stuff that made the class fun, the funny creature-based spells, the sacrifice-spells and the summons, disappear when you get into Act 1 or 2 of Inferno.

Caerith

I got my Wizard to 60 (dinged on Hell Diablo), but really not having fun with Inferno. My 2h and nuke approach wasn't cutting it, so I switched to a 1H life-on-hit build with spectral blades, critical mass, and +crit gear cooling down frost nova and diamond skin (making them essentially spammable) and yeah, stuff is survivable now, and I can stand toe to toe with Act I elite packs if they're not desecrating, but it's just grindy.

It looks like the only way to really manage Inferno is with lots of damage and maybe resists and life on hit but mostly lots of damage. Which is lots of gold. Which seems to only really come if you can manage Inferno well enough to get and sell the drops, or if you farm lower difficulty levels for obscene amounts of time. Is there a better way to get gold than by farming Hell? (I don't have Whimsy-Hell yet, too expensive.) Or are there better builds than life-on-hit Wizard for the broke-and-new-to-Inferno?

Aesthet1c

So I'm late to the Inferno party. Just trying to find out where I should start farming. I notice a lot of people farm the Dark Cellar in The Old Ruins. Isn't this the thing that got nerfed? Or is that still a viable farm spot?

OP is updated. Mainly I deleted the download links as the were sucking up a lot of space and aren't nearly as useful now. When OT4 rolls around I'll make some more changes.

On the to-do list is a more serious authenticator guide that mentions/includes WinAuth - at least to get that in there as an option to people.

And I still need to do the OT2 Wall of Shame.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
As far as I can tell, farming items in Hell is kind of pointless. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The only reason you should be in there is if you just want to pick up gold, but even at the fastest pace, I don't think you can make more than 100k/hr or so.

Caerith

Okay I can't help it anymore..

What the hell is wrong with the stuttering/lagging/whatever?! This stutter-shitfest happens when I'm running away from mobs and I can't understand what the hell is the problem.

| <- me, ||| <- pack of elites, |||| <- me between the fuckers, ||| | <- me running away from the fuckers, HUGE FUCKING STUTTER EVERYWHERE and my char just warps all over the places.

My ping is good, around 40-80. My computer is good and I'm running W7. I can't be only one with this fucking problem.

It's not just you. Do you get graphical issues too, like flashbacks to needing to blow into your NES cartridge just at random?

Caerith

As far as I can tell, farming items in Hell is kind of pointless. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The only reason you should be in there is if you just want to pick up gold, but even at the fastest pace, I don't think you can make more than 100k/hr or so.
No, you're right. Best items you can get in Hell are items slightly better than the items you already got in Hell and hadn't replaced on the AH yet. And you're spot on with 100k/hr.

So where do you farm if you're new to Inferno?

purg3

slept with Malkin
made it to inferno last night/this morning with my DH. What are some current farming options that work to build my gold back up. I saw a bunch of stuff about goblins/chest farming, does that still work in Act 1, or are there better options right now?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No, you're right. Best items you can get in Hell are items slightly better than the items you already got in Hell and hadn't replaced on the AH yet. And you're spot on with 100k/hr.

So where do you farm if you're new to Inferno?

I've just been running through the beginning of Act I (from going to meet Deckard Cain until just past the Cemetary) a whole bunch since it's not too tough (other than some elite packs with insane abilities), and there seems to be a small chance of getting something decent. It's also not insanely boring like endlessly smashing ash pots in the Royal Crypts.

I found a couple of items that I put up on the auction house for 100 - 300k each, but none of them have sold yet. I've also probably picked up 200k or so of gold in a few hours of play.

As of now, I'm looking at a few weeks of doing this (unless I get really lucky), starting up another class (playing Barbarian right now), paying real money for gold, or just quitting the game for a while.

It looks like it's probably going to take 20+ million to properly gear a Barbarian for solo Inferno.

Do I need the normal plans for the staff of herding? I have all the pieces and the hellish plans ... I can't make it. I'm assuming once i get the normal plans, I'll be able to upgrade it to the hellish staff?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So I'm late to the Inferno party. Just trying to find out where I should start farming. I notice a lot of people farm the Dark Cellar in The Old Ruins. Isn't this the thing that got nerfed? Or is that still a viable farm spot?

I personally enjoyed/preferred doing Pudge runs in Act I, Starting in Hall of Agony 2, getting 5 NV stacks, killing the wardern and the Butcher. Takes about 30 minutes, and while I may just be lucky, I have gotten gear I have been able to resell for about 3 Million over the past few days.

Right now, I am trying out the viability of idling in Act II Hell. Seems to work out fairly well, but I may need some more health regen or tankyness. I can only take on one set of spiders and not two.

The way you can idle farm easily as a wizard is go to Act II's Black Soul Stone quest, go next to one of the pillars that summon spiders every few seconds, and just stand there with Lightning Armor on. You simply weigh down the key for lightning armor/alt tab every few minutes to cast it again (Depending if you are using the computer or not), and when they attack you, they kill them selves. This is stupidly easy on Nightmare, but on Hell they hit for a decent amount. But for about 125k, I got my self a set of gear that works out well:

One thing to note is that I got all Indestructible Gear (Except the Jewelry, it doesn't come in Indestructible), that way you can idle for a good 4+ hours straight (After about 3-4 hours, most gear will have lost its durability).

For hell, some main things to note is that you will likely want a high base damage, so 2H are the best budget weapons for this. You are going to want a bunch of Life Per Kill on your weapon, and some Life Per Second also. And then you are likely going to want some gold/magic find.

Anther thing to note is that you have to move to pick up gold. So if you get logged out, you get nothing. If you could do something similar with the DH, she would likely be best for pure gold farming.

After a few hours, there will be a shit ton of weapons, hundreds of them, so many the game can't even list them all. So if you want to pick though the pile, you are going to have to pick up and toss all the whites. What I normally do is just pick up a ton of stuff, walk about 20 to 40 yards away, and dump all the whites.

I have not clue how good the loot will be for the Hell Spiders (It wasn't anything special in NM), but in the 10 minutes I have been writing this post, I got 4k gold, for just standing in place. So at the very least you could make 25k an hour while sleeping, virtual beer money and what not.

Here are what my stats look like for my 150k worth of cheap Indestructible Magic Find gear:

idle.jpg

Oh, and you should have Galvanizing ward and Blur passives when doing this.

Do I need the normal plans for the staff of herding? I have all the pieces and the hellish plans ... I can't make it. I'm assuming once i get the normal plans, I'll be able to upgrade it to the hellish staff?

Yes. But you'll need the Nightmare plans as well before you can upgrade to the Hell one - they're off the vendor in Act 4.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
You need the Normal plans to drop off
Izul
iirc

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

Yeah. Just kill the Fallen Angle guy boss in Act IV, he will drop them. May take a few tries, but it is pretty common.

Psy-Phi

Fuck Belial and his snakes.
In Inferno? I feel you. It took my Witch Doctor about an hour just to get to him, and then I spent another 30 minutes trying to kill him, but I could only get to phase two. Him with the snake is too much for my 24.9K damage to down before they overwhelm me.

Man, big chests dropping only blue stuff is depressing. :(
Bosses dropping only blue stuff is depressing. It wasn't until level 60 and nephalem valor x5 that I began to see rated off bosses again after normal. And last night I made a hardcore character, killed the Skelton King and got two blues! My buddy got 3, and 2 yellows. Beginning to feel like my acct is cursed or something.

Also just added in - forgot to before - that unmarked spoilers are now allowed. (Really they have been since last Tuesday, but I didn't edit in an update for various reasons.)

You can, however, still use spoiler tags at your discretion. Spoilerific things are unlikely to occur on every page, so if someone appears to be playing through the game for the first times still and asks a question, it may be prudent to censor yourself when responding if the situation calls for it.

Yeah, people underestimate what melees will pay for +life on hit equipment. Add crits stuff in there and it's pretty good.

It's a pretty damn good amulet.

My barbarian only has 550 +all res and 45K hp with warcry though, so I'd prefer an amulet with +all res +vit.

well yesterday passed the buthcer in inferno with my wizard, right now starting act 2 everything kills me with one hit, the poisons from the bees, the mortar from the imps or whatever they are...

dont have a lot of money but I awnt to buy better equipment to help me about those... what stats should i be looking for?

my resistances are 182, def about 3200

Blair

Banned
Man act 2 inferno is complete garbage. Snakes that stealth but also go invunerable? I'm sorry, damage breaks stealth. Objectively shit design.

zoukka

Killed Magda on inferno lol. Had to skip most of the elites... feels bad man.

And the snakes... goddamn I thought Lacuni were nasty.

Man act 2 inferno is complete garbage. Snakes that stealth but also go invunerable? I'm sorry, damage breaks stealth. Objectively shit design.

I am that close to reroll a range. This will still be bullshit, but at least I'll have a chance to survive. With 45k hp, 8k armor, 8k dps and 550 res, I am getting smashed like a bitch no matter what I do. I've even tried playing with a throwing axe build, but it feels ridiculous.

But...

I just can't abandon my barb.

Anustart

Man I can't wait to join everyone in inferno. For me Diablo doesn't start until the hardest difficulty, and im almost there! About done with act 3 hell.

Since Diablo is like gambling to me, I get no joy from item drops in normal through hell :(

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Man, those elite lickers in Act 3 are a pain in the ass.

Terrible. It's the one thing when I see a glowing pack of I know it's time to bail.

So far I think the only other thing that got me to bail as a wizard in Act 3 was a fast jailer pack of quill fiends.

I am that close to reroll a range. This will still be bullshit, but at least I'll have a chance to survive. With 45k hp, 8k armor, 8k dps and 550 res, I am getting smashed like a bitch no matter what I do. I've even tried playing with a throwing axe build, but it feels ridiculous.

But...

I just can't abandon my barb.
just wait until the nerf buff!

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
well yesterday passed the buthcer in inferno with my wizard, right now starting act 2 everything kills me with one hit, the poisons from the bees, the mortar from the imps or whatever they are...

dont have a lot of money but I awnt to buy better equipment to help me about those... what stats should i be looking for?

my resistances are 182, def about 3200

You need to double or triple that resistance at least.

Also, are you using Energy Armor?

suzu

Fight Izual. If he doesn't drop them, check the vendor near the healer back in the town. He should sell the plans for 1g.

Act 2 inferno just isn't fun man. I cant' fucking stand how champions and elite monsters get their life back if you leave them alone for 6-7 seconds.

Gotchaye

Act 2 inferno just isn't fun man. I cant' fucking stand how champions and elite monsters get their life back if you leave them alone for 6-7 seconds.

I'm not sure what the system is for this, or if it's a bug. Normally they regenerate if you're not close to them at a pretty slow rate. But sometimes you can leave for a few seconds and they'll be back at full. It seems random to me.

Lexxon

Just found my first legendary, lvl 44 in Act III Nightmare:

AuO7c.jpg

Can't decide if it's any good...most demon hunters would never use this sword, although I know there were some Melee DHs floating around here near launch.

I'm not sure what the system is for this, or if it's a bug. Normally they regenerate if you're not close to them at a pretty slow rate. But sometimes you can leave for a few seconds and they'll be back at full. It seems random to me.

Yea I'm not sure either, it seems to happen to everyone of them I face though. It really bothers me when I'm close to killing some of them and then because I died a few times it takes 8 seconds to come back alive, but because of that shit they get all their life back..

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

I think them healing up all the way is what is supposed to happen, and them not after about 10 seconds is a glitch.

Dreavus

So Wizards out there, have you been using force armor or prismatic armor for inferno? I've found that (in Act I at least) I'm not getting 1 shotted so much as simply getting overwhelmed by elites with horde or fast or mortar and lots of consecutive hits. Thus I've been using prismatic armor to try and boost my resistances rather than have force armor block 1 shots. Anyone else using this, or is Force armor the way to go?

Alex

Act I mobs don't hit nearly as hard as II, it is by far the biggest gulf you'll see in the game, so you can probably use whatever for now but personally I use Force in Act II and on. Good to have a decent ~35-40kish HP pool+ with it, as well.

Resists I only roll to about ~330-350 range, since they get hit by DR fairly hard and you're not a tank. Goal is to chop off as much as you can from the few hits you take while preserving the rest of your stats.

So how did Diablo 2 have "years of content?" And did it really or was it just a niche group of hardcore players who just played it over and over? It seems like Diablo 3 has a decent amount of content but after you've beat it on inferno (which some have already done, 3 weeks after release) you're just farming equipment to sell on the AH?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So Wizards out there, have you been using force armor or prismatic armor for inferno? I've found that (in Act I at least) I'm not getting 1 shotted so much as simply getting overwhelmed by elites with horde or fast or mortar and lots of consecutive hits. Thus I've been using prismatic armor to try and boost my resistances rather than have force armor block 1 shots. Anyone else using this, or is Force armor the way to go?

Prismatic all the way.

rabhw

Yeah I'm just about done with this game. The prices on the AH for the best items are insanely inflated. Even when I'm farming 350k/hour, it would take way, way, way too long to gear-up my Wizard properly for inferno.

Economy is broken, and it's only going to get worse when the RMAH comes out.

bailout.gif

zoukka

Damn I keep searching AH with relatively low buyout limit and constantly realise how awesome my gear is for the prices I've been sniping them for. The talisman I bought recently is probably worth more than I paid for the rest of my gear, but now I can't find any similar gear for decent prices.

Makes me kinda sad to realise the big benefits from gear are going to cost me millions and millions per piece :(

Alex

So how did Diablo 2 have "years of content?" And did it really or was it just a niche group of hardcore players who just played it over and over? It seems like Diablo 3 has a decent amount of content but after you've beat it on inferno (which some have already done, 3 weeks after release) you're just farming equipment to sell on the AH?

Item perfection and experimentation and people just maxing out the game in all the possible manners. It didn't have an Inferno mode, it ended at Hell, but it had better itemization and a very popular trading scene.It also had more timesinks and clunk to it that artificially inflated time taken to do things though back in the day, like set-in-stone talents.

Also, when people talk about D2, they're talking about it's expansion, so it took some time to get to where it really became what it was.

A complaint I have with III is that, shockingly, I feel it needs more fluff. Rarely I say that about a game but I'm surprised there wasn't more added to the outlying parts of the game to inflate play time and keep people interested. Even after balance patches and item fixes it is really going to be ripe for a major expansion. The core gameplay blows the fucking doors off of Diablo II but it just needs some more stuff beyond the basics. Inferno is great, but with all of the changes to things, it seems more...finite in this day and age. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I want to keep playing :lol I really like the feel and flow of the game so very much but after I wipe out Inferno once or twice I'll def stop until some changes come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom