• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Sentries give 15% reduction to all damage with the rune. :p

I know, I mentioned that, the problem is that it is stationary, less than the other classes versions (as its seemingly meant to be shared) and an extremely small radius. Meaning you cannot use this damage reduction while on the move like you can with the other classes personal versions. Because they cast theirs on themselves. Its working for them before and after the teleport, or kite, or Spirit walk and run 20 feet, or Dashing Strike across the room, or Furious charge, or whatever. They have that protection, we are stuck dropping 20 sentries everytime we move 5 feet to get close to the same protection because no ranged class plants and face tanks elite packs in inferno.

We need protection that works in the background, so we can continue to be mobile the way a ranged class is supposed to be, and still have that protection be practical.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
iyhOqKJbOUI41.PNG

ibvHLHLijAU2Xy.PNG

The Gods were generous today. The wand is an upgrade over my current 860 DPS only blue wand. Could have used at least another hundred DPS but can't really complain. The amulet is a big upgrade over my current one too. And its another item I don't have to worry about when switching to my MF gear.

Holy fuck riding a truck, how the fuck did you get that ring?

scoobs

This has been said before but MY GOD i wish there was a mobile auction house app. I'd pay $$ for it, its sad how much I care about that thing.

Zzoram

I was given a guest pass, and i'm trying the game out and having weird performance issues. It's not a framerate issue, but almost feels like a stutter you would experience when you have a bad ping or a game is struggling to stream in data.

I'm going to assume it's a ping issue; Is this common on the American servers?

The game streams data from Battle.net servers so it's probably ping from that.

I get almost no lag personally, except on days where they have server issues.

LordCanti

Whoever came up with the design for the Soul Rippers should be fired. A tongue that kills me from offscreen? Meh. A tongue that can pull me into a fiery (or poison) pit from offscreen, then wall and vortex me as I'm running away? Bah.

Sanic

The game streams data from Battle.net servers so it's probably ping from that.

I get almost no lag personally, except on days where they have server issues.

Is it possible to check my ping in game? I've never really seen anything like this; the game is borderline unplayable.

Ferrio

Banned
TBH anyone can do that. I farmed Act 4 that way for a while. I wore a full 210 MF set I put together for pennies from the AH. The set had all random stats on it, so my dps was horrible, Id fire off a few shots and let Tyrael kill the elite while I circled around the teleporter.

People say that of Tyrael did most of the work that your MF didnt register, but that seemed to me to just be a ol wives tale. I got enough 1k dps weapons and enough legendaries on those runs to erase any doubt I had.

Thats something a melee could farm just as easily as a DH.

Oh I misunderstood you, you're talking about ghosts. No I was recommending any dh with 35k+ to farm the actual elite mob packs, not those nerfed ghosts.

Zzoram

Is it possible to check my ping in game? I've never really seen anything like this; the game is borderline unplayable.

There is a bar just to the left of your mana orb that will tell you your ping.

Try playing another time/day. If it keeps happening, it could be that your router or firewall is interfering with the game. Alt+Tab while in-game and see if Windows popped up something about blocking it with the firewall.

Alex

This has been said before but MY GOD i wish there was a mobile auction house app. I'd pay $$ for it, its sad how much I care about that thing.

If they made one, it'd most certainly cost money. Look at the World of Warcraft one, that's a subscription based game and it's mobile AH requires a separate monthly fee. :lol And it STILL has limitations on it! Always seemed so goofy to me.

But then again with the RMAH, maybe they'd be wise to make one and let people use it for free... or just charge us filthy peons using the gold AH the fee!

Cipherr

Shadow power rune gives them 65% damage reduction..

For 3 seconds at a high discpline cost. How much reduction does Ignore pain give in addition to the passive reduction of Nerves of Steel, Superstition or Tough as Nails? Because Shadow Power is our "Damage reduction short duration cooldown" its not a passive....

How much damage reduction does Serenity give in addition to the passive reduction of Time of Need, Hard Target, Sieze the Initiative, One with everything or Sixth Sense? Because Shadow Power is our "Damage reduction short cooldown" its not a passive....

How much damage reduction does Crystal Shell or Archon give in addition to the passive reduction of Energy Armor, Force Armor, Prismatic Armor or Blur? Because Shadow Power is our "Damage reduction short duration cooldown" its not a passive....

How much damage reduction does Frigtening Aspect give in addition to Jungle Fortitude? Because Shadow Power is our "Damage reduction short duration cooldown" its not a passive....

Honestly WD are the closest to us but they deal with things a little differently with the pets. It just seems DH were heavily built around Smoke Screen, and now its sort of had its gonads snipped off. So looking at our choices for Active and passive damage reduction shows a very glaring hole. Theres no way I can be the only one who see's it. I know all about Gloom and Sentry, and they have nothing on what most of the other classes have access to.

Ferrio

Banned
For 3 seconds at a high discpline cost. How much reduction does Ignore pain give in addition to the passive reduction of Nerves of Steel, Superstition or Tough as Nails? Because Shadow Power is our "Damage reduction short duration cooldown" its not a passive....

How much damage reduction does Serenity give in addition to the passive reduction of Time of Need, Hard Target, Sieze the Initiative, One with everything or Sixth Sense? Because Shadow Power is our "Damage reduction short cooldown" its not a passive....

How much damage reduction does Crystal Shell or Archon give in addition to the passive reduction of Energy Armor, Force Armor, Prismatic Armor or Blur? Because Shadow Power is our "Damage reduction short duration cooldown" its not a passive....

How much damage reduction does Frigtening Aspect give in addition to Jungle Fortitude? Because Shadow Power is our "Damage reduction short duration cooldown" its not a passive....

Honestly WD are the closest to us but they deal with things a little differently with the pets. It just seems DH were heavily built around Smoke Screen, and now its sort of had its gonads snipped off. So looking at our choices for Active and passive damage reduction shows a very glaring hole. Theres no way I can be the only one who see's it. I know all about Gloom and Sentry, and they have nothing on what most of the other classes have access to.

SS needed to be nerfed, it was way overboard. That said, I wish there was a way to run DH without it.. but the skill is still great.

Wallach

Still the only class without either some sort of 20% damage reduction to all, or 20% damage reduction to melee, or 20% boost (or more) to your existing resists, or 20% or more boost to your armor via a skill/rune/passive, or tanking pet.

I absolutely hate it. I look at Wizards Monks Barbs and WD's and see at least one of those, some classes have more than one of them. I look at our class and see a fucking Sentry with a 15% damage reduction in a super super small bubble. A sentry that is damn near useless outside of that gimmick making it nearly a waste of a slot. Makes me sick.

It really does feel like DH was a class designed around softcore mode. Not sure why they took that route but it definitely makes the DH feel like sort of a cheap knock off design wise compared to the other four.

Cipherr

SS needed to be nerfed, it was way overboard. That said, I wish there was a way to run DH without it.. but the skill is still great.

Oh I agree Ive been on record about SS being massively broken, Im just saying, Numbing Traps or something needs to have its name changed, and get turned into "You take 20% less damage from melee attacks"

Or "Your resistances are increased 20%" or Armor or something. We should have one of those.

Radec

Lol, Alts. My 52 mage:

fl6Sl.png

Working on hell now. Blowing everything to pieces in Reduced Level Requirement gear and decent gems that has me at 22k DPS. Needed a break from Farming 10m -> Buy a piece of gear for my DH -> Farm another 10m -> buy another piece of gear.

Damn, 22k dps and not even 60.

Wish I could get items like that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, 22k dps and not even 60.

Wish I could get items like that.

Search lvl 60 - 60 on the item, then add the condition "reduced level requirement" and input the difference between your level and 60 as the value. Search for 2h weapons. You can find some 800+ DPS weapons pretty easily that way, which makes Hell a lot easier.

Lesath

I'm like half way through Act 2 Inferno. Any tips especially as it pertains to builds and such. I've 5 stacks multiple times on my way to putting together ZK, but I feel like smashing my computer in a some points.

Here are my stats and build:

You are getting pretty far with a virtually identical build and a little over half of what I was working with in terms of damage reduction. I would advise you to invest in some attack speed and life on hit, though you'd also be a lot more comfortable in 600-700+ resist and 5k+ armor.

Dexterity/Intelligence is a poisonous stat combination. Dexterity/Strength? Maybe you can find a buyer. Strength is armor. Vital/Any other stat is obviously good. Dexterity/Intel though is a very awkward combination that is rarely valuable unless everything else on it is great.

Intelligence is 0.1 resist, and since damage reduction per point of armor and 0.1 resist are virtually identical, intelligence is as valuable a dump stat as strength. As far as that shield goes, physical resist is a bit on the low side, despite the amazing block chance. I doubt it will get much due to the low amount of physical resist, but I would advise the owner to check pricing of similar items.

Lesath

I'm about to go from near 0 resistances to around 300 in each with buffs. Can someone explain to me exactly how armor and resistances work? It seems straightforward, but I just want to make sure.

On my Barbarian, I can have approx. 71% damage reduction from armor and 50% damage reduction from physical resistance.

Is this how it works? The mob lands an attack for 100,000 base damage First it's reduced by 71% = 29,000, which is further reduced by 50% = 14,500. Does this look right?

When is block taken into account? Before the damage reduction or after?

Also, are normal melee attacks counted as "physical damage"?

If I understand the math correctly for melee classes:

Damage Taken = Base x 0.7 x (1-Armor Reduction) x (1-Resist Reduction)

After which, a triggered block modifies damage taken.

So in your case, for an unblocked physical hit:

100,000 x 0.7 x (1-0.71) and x (1-0.51) = 9947

Artanisix

Barbs in particular actually DO get to the point where they can handle those packs just fine. Its just that the gear hump is steep for them, but once they are there, they can handle them just fine. I mean, your not going to convince any of us otherwise. We have all be playing since release and or beta, and we have all watched Kripp eat Act 3 inferno alive while his DH friend was in the game, but back in town repairing because even with his 100k dps, he still gets one shot.

Once the melee clear that gear hurdle they have one hell of a fun ride. DH will always be "killing a pack after a hand full of deaths" no matter what unless Blizzard changes something. Sounds a whole lot like you just have some bad class envy. The hurdle for melee in Nightmare is not insurmountable and its not impossible for melee. Stop it with that.

Lol at referencing Kripp, the guy who had his team spoonfeed him gear from exploiting resplendent chests and pre-nerf ghosts and also received godly gear for extremely cheap (31% block Stormshield for 6 mil? Good luck finding a deal like that now). Once again, the issue is not that it's impossible for melee -- of course it'll be easy enough with the best gear, you can say that for anyone -- it's that the Barb or Monk requires FAR better gear than a range hero to even come close to viable. How is someone who decides to start as a Barb or Monk supposed to overcome the gear hurdle exactly?

Roll a DH to farm with?

That's terrible game design. And when did I say anything about Nightmare? Is that where you're stuck? This is about Inferno. And ONCE AGAIN, it is not about the impossibility of Inferno, it is the CLEAR advantage of range over melee in terms of survivability (DHs have, at the very least, 6 seconds of invulnerability with SS WHILE being able to fight from range) AND raw DPS (you said yourself that you have over 50k DPS without Sharpshooter. Kripp has less than 15k DPS with over 30 mil~ worth in gear).

Compare the amount of DHs and Wizards who have made it to A4 with the amount of Monks and Barbs who have even gotten through the beginning of A3. I guarantee that the range blow the melee out of the water. Oh yeah, don't forget that all the DHs and Wizards farming A3 Siegebreaker and chests + A4 are putting up melee weapons with life on hit and str/vit/all res gear for gazillions of gold, well out of reach for the majority of melee-only players.

The point of a game is to have fun, and if to have fun I either a.) have to roll a DH or Wizard, classes I don't enjoy, to farm gear for my Barb and Monk, JUST so they can be kinda-sorta viable in A3 and beyond; or b.) wait for the RMAH to come out, then this game sucks.

FYI I have a 2H barb making his way through A3. That's after I rolled both a Demon Hunter and a Witch Doctor to farm gear for him. Great game design there.

Honestly WD are the closest to us but they deal with things a little differently with the pets.

WD pets are trash and any WD in Inferno will tell you that. Using pets in Inferno (with the exception of fetish dudes -- which aren't even really a pet) is a great way to waste a skill slot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If I understand the math correctly for melee classes:

Damage Taken = Base x 0.7 x (1-Armor Reduction) x (1-Resist Reduction)

After which, a triggered block modifies damage taken.

So in your case, for an unblocked physical hit:

100,000 x 0.7 x (1-0.71) and x (1-0.51) = 9947

Thanks for the reply! I had no idea that melee had innate damage taking abilities. Certainly doesn't seem that way with how I pop as a Barbarian!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
G'night D3GAF! Great D3-day today actually! A lot of gold farmed, some progress, (Diablo down to last phase on inferno solo), got some loot, had a great time with my man Dizzy and Riggs!

GGs!

Ultrabum

As a monk, act 1 inferno is doable after farming about 2 mil of gear. The biggest problem is only rings and amulets with good rolls are worth anything from act 1. So i re-rolled dh to farm act 3 lol.

Imo, its a fundamental design flaw, one that could only be fixed by something drastic like:

Give melee a 200% defense bonus

or

make all mobs in inferno faster, like 2 times as fast to reduce the kiting advantage that ranged classes have.

any other fix would have to be very complicated.

squidyj

For what it's worth, the method involves no actual fighting of any sort, so it doesn't need to be very good MF gear, so long as it gets the % high enough.

I rolled with 2 gearsets, one for popping the chest and the other for surviving long enough to loot the damn thing. Got up to about 220 now.

Gila

So I found all the items for the staff of herding from Normal difficulty, apparently I had the Plan for staff of herding in nightmare. I taught it to my blacksmith, and now it won't let me create the staff...

Am I supposed to find the plan in normal as well in order to create it? I've fought Izual like 7 times now and he hasn't dropped anything. Either I'm really unlucky or somethings wrong..

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
So I found all the items for the staff of herding from Normal difficulty, apparently I had the Plan for staff of herding in nightmare. I taught it to my blacksmith, and now it won't let me create the staff...

Am I supposed to find the plan in normal as well in order to create it? I've fought Izual like 7 times now and he hasn't dropped anything. Either I'm really unlucky or somethings wrong..

Need to get the normal one first then use nightmare/hell/inferno to upgrade.

You are getting pretty far with a virtually identical build and a little over half of what I was working with in terms of damage reduction. I would advise you to invest in some attack speed and life on hit, though you'd also be a lot more comfortable in 600-700+ resist and 5k+ armor.

Intelligence is 0.1 resist, and since damage reduction per point of armor and 0.1 resist are virtually identical, strength is as valuable a dump stat as armor. As far as that shield goes, physical resist is a bit on the low side, despite the amazing block chance. I doubt it will get much due to the low amount of physical resist, but I would advise the owner to check pricing of similar items.

Thanks for the tip. I guess it just boils down to having enough gold to buy that stuff.

Cipherr

Lol at referencing Kripp, the guy who had his team spoonfeed him gear from exploiting resplendent chests and pre-nerf ghosts and also received godly gear for extremely cheap (31% block Stormshield for 6 mil? Good luck finding a deal like that now). Once again, the issue is not that it's impossible for melee -- of course it'll be easy enough with the best gear, you can say that for anyone -- it's that the Barb or Monk requires FAR better gear than a range hero to even come close to viable. How is someone who decides to start as a Barb or Monk supposed to overcome the gear hurdle exactly?

Roll a DH to farm with?

That's terrible game design. And when did I say anything about Nightmare? Is that where you're stuck? This is about Inferno. And ONCE AGAIN, it is not about the impossibility of Inferno, it is the CLEAR advantage of range over melee in terms of survivability (DHs have, at the very least, 6 seconds of invulnerability with SS WHILE being able to fight from range) AND raw DPS (you said yourself that you have over 50k DPS without Sharpshooter. Kripp has less than 15k DPS with over 30 mil~ worth in gear).

Compare the amount of DHs and Wizards who have made it to A4 with the amount of Monks and Barbs who have even gotten through the beginning of A3. I guarantee that the range blow the melee out of the water. Oh yeah, don't forget that all the DHs and Wizards farming A3 Siegebreaker and chests + A4 are putting up melee weapons with life on hit and str/vit/all res gear for gazillions of gold, well out of reach for the majority of melee-only players.

The point of a game is to have fun, and if to have fun I either a.) have to roll a DH or Wizard, classes I don't enjoy, to farm gear for my Barb and Monk, JUST so they can be kinda-sorta viable in A3 and beyond; or b.) wait for the RMAH to come out, then this game sucks.

FYI I have a 2H barb making his way through A3. That's after I rolled both a Demon Hunter and a Witch Doctor to farm gear for him. Great game design there.

WD pets are trash and any WD in Inferno will tell you that. Using pets in Inferno (with the exception of fetish dudes -- which aren't even really a pet) is a great way to waste a skill slot.

First of all, read the post. I am well into Inferno, the only mention of Nightmare was for farming gear as a melee if you could not yet clear Act 1 Inferno. Read... I was very clear about that. Second, people CAN progress well into Inferno as melee without rolling ranged characters. We have people in this very thread that are doing it. I'm not sure who you are trying to convince that it cannot be done, but its not working.

If you want to cry in a corner about how its impossible, then have fun with that. I never argued that at the entry level ranged didnt have a smaller hump, but I really dont know how the hell you think I got to 50k dps, I sure as hell farmed millions just like everyone else to buy a bow and the rest of my gear.

If you don't like the game thats fine, Im not interested in arguing your opinion. Just stop over doing it with the bullshit. Melee can progress in the game, the initial hurdle is clearly steeper but every indication we have shows that once they clear it, it will be some pretty damn smooth sailing by any metric in comparison to any other class.

That may be, but its irrelevant to that discussion anyway since they get a passive option for 20% damage reduction.

HenryHSH

Pretty much. I use fetish army mostly for the temporary distraction and cooldown so I can spam my bears. The other pets are trash, for now at least.

What is the supposed spawn rate on the Resplendent Chest in the Underbridge before Siegebreaker? I was told 50% but I just ran it 15 times in a row with no chest spawn. To be clear, the Underbridge itself was up, but the chest was not inside.

At this rate, I'm not sure if it's worth it. I die at least once every time I go in because the champ absolutely crushes me, and more often than not it's 3-4 times times if I'm having trouble dragging the champ into a dead end. I've never gotten more than 1 yellow from the chest either, with 200% MF.

Speaking of MF, I wonder if the loot table is seeded when you enter the zone, or when you pop the chest. If it's the former, then swapping in MF gear right before you open the chest would basically do nothing.

Also, someone told me that when you're in a group it averages the MF of everyone in the group and uses that as the effective MF. Is this true?

Artanisix

Melee can progress in the game, the initial hurdle is clearly steeper

That's... my whole point. The initial hurdle is completely batshit ridiculous for melee compared to range. That is my whole point. The initial hurdle is millions upon millions of gold. That's hours and hours and hours and hours of gameplay, just to be equal to a range hero. That is bad game design and it is not a bullshit reason to complain.

Note that this wouldn't be NEARLY as bad if Act 1 dropped appropriate gear to succeed in Act 2. But it doesn't. Once again great game design there Blizz.

What is the supposed spawn rate on the Resplendent Chest in the Underbridge before Siegebreaker? I was told 50% but I just ran it 15 times in a row with no chest spawn. To be clear, the Underbridge itself was up, but the chest was not inside.

At this rate, I'm not sure if it's worth it. I die at least once every time I go in because the champ absolutely crushes me, and sometimes multiple times if the champ spawns in a bad location. I've never gotten more than 1 yellow from the chest either, with 200% MF.

Speaking of MF, I wonder if the loot table is seeded when you enter the zone, or when you pop the chest. If it's the former, then swapping in MF gear right before you open the chest would basically do nothing.

Also, someone told me that when you're in a group it averages the MF of everyone in the group and uses that as the effective MF. Is this true?

I've always wondered this about opening chests as well. Do we really know or are we assuming?

Act 5 needs to be mostly an open zone with randomly generated dungeon tiles i feel. Corridor crawling for years in act III and IV is gonna be a bit shit. Or just buff loot in act I and II as a stopgap measure.

Gotchaye

Earlier today I did Siegebreaker a few times and got the Underbridge 3 times, and the chest was there every time. However, the chest wasn't in the same place each time, and seemed to appear randomly in the dungeon.

Cipherr

Act 5 needs to be mostly an open zone with randomly generated dungeon tiles i feel. Corridor crawling for years in act III and IV is gonna be a bit shit. Or just buff loot in act I and II as a stopgap measure.

Yes, dear god please... Old schoolers might hate it. But I absolutely fucking hate the cramped thin corridors where you are forced to fight elites and you can barely move. Waaaaaay to much closed space, its horrible.

HenryHSH

Melee progress is bad. Millions of gold just for a single upgrade. Barbarians can't just get high all resist gear or just vitality gear or just strength gear or just high armor. You need all of that and a lot of it to simply survive. DH? Stack crits, go full DPS. WD? High int items, have fun.

Yes it's true.

Note that this wouldn't be NEARLY as bad if Act 1 dropped appropriate gear to succeed in Act 2. But it doesn't. Once again great game design there Blizz.

It does, it's just that with all the randomness, it's extremely rare to get a perfect roll for a barb. I've gotten 40 AR gear with decent vitality value.

Yes, dear god please... Old schoolers might hate it. But I absolutely fucking hate the cramped thin corridors where you are forced to fight elites and you can barely move. Waaaaaay to much closed space, its horrible.

Oh Act 4 is just not that fun. Waayyyyy too linear. The more "dungeon-like" areas there too suck pretty hard in terms of variety.

Act 1 is definitely the most polished/balanced Act out of all of them with the way it flows from dungeon > outdoor area > dungeon. You get a lot of variety in the scenery.

in the middle of act 1 inferno, now doing just over 10k dps, with 45k health, all resistances are at 268. im pretty much stacking dexterity, vitality, and poison resistance, so i can use "one with everything" to boost all of my other resistances to match the highest one i have (poison in this case). im a dual wielding monk btw.

i have no problem with regular enemies, but elites/champions/rares give me a hard time...

Ultrabum

It does, it's just that with all the randomness, it's extremely rare to get a perfect roll for a barb. I've gotten 40 AR gear with decent vitality value.

Whats the best weapon you can get in act 1 inferno? 600 dps 1 hander?

Sarcasm aside, whats the best dps 1 hander anyone gas gotten in act 1?

Fixed1979

qGCKk.png

Any value at all? I think it would probably be pretty good if the DMG wasn't so low, either way I can't find anything close enough on the AH to price it.

Lesath

in the middle of act 1 inferno, now doing just over 10k dps, with 45k health, all resistances are at 268. im pretty much stacking dexterity, vitality, and poison resistance, so i can use "one with everything" to boost all of my other resistances to match the highest one i have (poison in this case). im a dual wielding monk btw.

i have no problem with regular enemies, but elites/champions/rares give me a hard time...

Try to find cheap pieces with resist/all resist. If not, plain resist gear with dex and vit on it is usually available for under 100k on the AH. If you see a cheap high armor piece that has resist but not all resist, take it. People often don't account for the value of additional armor. It is entirely okay to sacrifice a lot of vitality for resist stats, at least in Act I. I ran it at 25k health with around 600 resist and 5k armor just easily. Think of it this way: your heals don't scale with your health pool, so additional vitality isn't going to do anything if you're hemorrhaging health, as opposed to trickling it away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom