• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Finished Act III with my wife earlier on my Monk. Swapped my general strat from being overly tankish to somewhat bardish :lol

Dropped my resists from over 800 to ~600ish, dropped my HP about 10k, cleaned out some fluff and spent some money and raised my DPS about around 10k.

Swapped mantra of evasion and hard target to conviction and overawe. The few percent of mitigation I lost didn't really make a big difference when I die in a few hits anyway. The large gain of DPS helped out more. Kept my life on hit, though, still around ~800.

Pop into combat, keep overawe up, cycle cooldowns, we shred then retreat and kite, repeat.

Will see if this bites me in the future, I'm thinking probably! Note: Probably requires a Demon Hunter with fucking ridiculous DPS to support. :lol

Well I'm hearing how people are getting to 60 in 3-4 hours, looking for the details on how it's done.

Zoltun Kulle glitch. Needs two people to do, its a power leveling scheme where you can turn it in three times.

I used Serenity for quite some time but I ended up switching it out because the heal didn't seem very effective (I forget the name of that Rune) plus it doesn't heal other players in co-op and the cool-down is 5 seconds longer than Breath of Heaven. Honestly I think using DR made it a lot less useful to me because I was generally trying to stay out of reach for most enemies anyway.

Serenity is def required as you get in deeper. I dropped peaceful repose for now and just get the extra second from ascension since my life on hit and transcendence always heal me up during it anyway.

Sheesh man, 16k dps. No way you could kill Belial with that (solo at least). Must've been hard as hell clearing act 2! :D
Actually I had to borrow a friend's bow for Belial, I had 20k DPS for him (took me 4 hours of trying with 16k and 3 hours with 20k before I got him). Act 3 and 4 were cleared with 26k DPS, though for Diablo I borrowed my friend's bow again and had 29k.

I'm pretty much on the same boat other than I can survive a few more hits but if there's a fast mob then I'm done.
Sometimes you have to run past some champions. I remember getting a Fast Vortex Waller Jailer Imp pack that was impossible, so I had to SS at run past.

Mitama

If you have no survivability your DPS won't make a difference either.

Sure you can run around like a mad person in the hope that one mob doesn't get lucky and one shot you, this is the whole problem though and why they plan to fix inferno (hopefully) in an up coming patch.

I'm not saying you can't survive if you are very skilled and manage to avoid most of the damage, but how likely is that ?

It'll only be viable in the next patch yeah, but not for now. Even melee classes with their crazy resists, armor and vitality have trouble tanking so a demon hunter will pretty much always die in 2-3 hits tops. Sure it'd be nice, great even, to not die in a single hit but I always focus on dexterity and I'm up to act 4 right now, having cleared all the previous acts before it. To get vitality and res on my gear would be very hard since as a max dps DH, you need to look for very specific rolls on equipment (increased attack speed, crit chance and crit damage) and vitality and res just don't have a spot anymore.

Serenity is damage immunity that breaks all CC effects. That's why it's run. Honestly, I'd run:

Primary of your choice (FoT +Evasion or DR +Armor typically)
Free slot of your choice
Breath of Heaven (+Damage, probably)
Blinding Light (+Champ miss chance)
Mantra of Evasion (+Armor) or Mantra of Healing (+Resists), whichever is better total mitigation.
Serenity (4s duration)
Wow, at that point it's basically a completely different build. :p

Once things get crazy in Inferno I will probably try to work Serenity back in, you guys make a convincing case.

scy

It'll only be viable in the next patch yeah, but not for now. Even melee classes with their crazy resists, armor and vitality have trouble tanking so a demon hunter will pretty much always die in 2-3 hits tops.

Opiate's had some good success with a Tank DH build up to, at least when I checked this morning, Act 4 Inferno.

...it's still basically "that one Discipline skill" to spam to survive, though, so it's really not a huge change over Smokescreen.

Once things get crazy in Inferno I will probably try to work Serenity back in, you guys make a convincing case.

To be fair, you don't NEED Blinding Flash :x My Monk runs what I listed though (free slot is Earth Ally for the time being, if I recall?) and I just spam Mantra and rely on Fist of Thunder damage. I haven't used her in awhile though but she can plow Act 1 and parts of Act 2!

Radec

Some dude killing bosses easily with HP under 16k

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5633976065?page=1#12

Screenshot009.jpg

Damn he just swallowed Belial's smash.

Alex

Opiate's had some good success with a Tank DH build up to, at least when I checked this morning, Act 4 Inferno.

...it's still basically "that one Discipline skill" to spam to survive, though, so it's really not a huge change over Smokescreen.

To be fair, you don't NEED Blinding Flash :x My Monk runs what I listed though (free slot is Earth Ally for the time being, if I recall?) and I just spam Mantra and rely on Fist of Thunder damage. I haven't used her in awhile though but she can plow Act 1 and parts of Act 2!

Blinding Flash is super good, though. Low cooldown, too. Great to chain after your Serenity, etc.

Mitama

Thing is, this way you should still be able to survive when they get closer to you (you know, if your Deadly Reach doesn't finish them in time :p). You can rotate between Serenity and Blinding Flash which both act as temporary invincible spells and inbetween, you can still use Breath of Heaven to heal up if your life on hit doesn't regen enough health. Life on hit is a very important stat to start looking for in inferno as a melee class btw.

It's been so long since I even used Blinding Flash so it would probably be worth trying out just to see what it's like against some tougher enemies. The main hang-up I have right now is getting rid of LTK, I rely so much on that combined with the slowdown from Sweeping Armada so it would definitely take some getting used to if I didn't have that. Plus SSS is so cool... :(

Thing is, this way you should still be able to survive when they get closer to you (you know, if your Deadly Reach doesn't finish them in time :p). You can rotate between Serenity and Blinding Flash which both act as temporary invincible spells and inbetween, you can still use Breath of Heaven to heal up if your life on hit doesn't regen enough health. Life on hit is a very important stat to start looking for in inferno as a melee class btw.
That sounds pretty good, actually, I might have to try it out. Right now my general strategy for when Deadly Reach doesn't finish them in time is run around in a state of panic and hope my Earth Ally will pull enough aggro for me to take some cheap-shots occasionally. If they get too close I will just LTK them away and if that fails I will break out SSS. Like I said earlier though, my gear is pretty bad right now. I don't have any life on hit and my resistances are all very low as well (somewhere around 100).

Mitama

So did they nerf the chest run on Act 3 inferno? Haven't gotten rares in a while.

drops have been crap too.

Think they nerfed it like 2 days ago. When Europe went down for the patch, I'm like 99% sure they nerfed the keep depths. I used to get the proper map like once or twice in 5 runs, probably even more but after the nerf I've found it far, far less. Not to mention it looks like the loot has been nerfed as well. That or I just had really bad luck.

BTW when people are saying dps with DH is this with critical chance boosting passive or without ?

I wish this skill weren't included in calculation since it fucks up dps as a measure of gear totally

scy

Blinding Flash is super good, though. Low cooldown, too. Great to chain after your Serenity, etc.

Right but Wave of Light (Explosive Light) nets a decent knockback and Seven-Sided Strike (...any?) gets you a brief moment of immunity. I do think Blinding Flash is the best option for this slot though but I don't think it's a requirement, just a "really, really suggested" thing.

Also, it's nice to at last have two skill slots to play around with.

Mitama

It's been so long since I even used Blinding Flash so it would probably be worth trying out just to see what it's like against some tougher enemies. The main hang-up I have right now is getting rid of LTK, I rely so much on that combined with the slowdown from Sweeping Armada so it would definitely take some getting used to if I didn't have that. Plus SSS is so cool... :(

If I were you, I'd switch out Breath of Heaven and keep SSS. The heals are pretty much worthless in inferno anyway.

Alex

Yeah they nerfed it, either that or the RNG bites extra hard lately. Used to get a yellow nearly every time in Magic Find gear and the map came up every couple of times. Now it's rarer and I mostly get blues.

I actually, after last night, feel like Resplendent Chest might have been nerfed across the board, since popping two, in full magic find gear + 5x valor got me nothing but blues. Could totally just be me, though.

Right but Wave of Light (Explosive Light) nets a decent knockback and Seven-Sided Strike (...any?) gets you a brief moment of immunity. I do think Blinding Flash is the best option for this slot though but I don't think it's a requirement, just a "really, really suggested" thing.

Nah, not a requirement at all, but I'd very much say Serenity is. Adding to the discussion though,what I like about Blinding Flash is that it cools down fast and is cheap as hell. 10 spirit. Compared to SSS which is 50 spirit and 30 second cooldown and Wave of Light which is a whopping 75.

But that's for me, and I use my spirit on mantra pops mostly.

My average load out:

FoT: Thunderclap
MoConviction: Overawe (co-op) / MoEvasion: Hard Target (solo)
Breath of Heaven: Blazing Wrath
Serenity: Acension
Blinding Flash: Searing Light or Faith in the Light, depending whats going on.
Seven Sided Strike: Pandemonium or Earth Ally, depending.

Passives:

Transcendence
One with Everything
Seize the Initiative.

Mitama

BTW when people are saying dps with DH is this with critical chance boosting passive or without ?

I wish this skill weren't included in calculation since it fucks up dps as a measure of gear totally

Yeah, true. I always mention it though since it makes such a huge difference.

scy

On the bright side, as your gear improves then so do your options. Blinding Flash can go away or get the +Damage rune on it, for instance. Same for Breath of Heaven, though I like it for the 45s +Damage passive and not necessarily the heal itself.

Think they nerfed it like 2 days ago. When Europe went down for the patch, I'm like 99% sure they nerfed the keep depths. I used to get the proper map like once or twice in 5 runs, probably even more but after the nerf I've found it far, far less. Not to mention it looks like the loot has been nerfed as well. That or I just had really bad luck.

I've not had much luck with the chest with ~260% MF. I don't check it that often, though, just when I'm running the area looking for elite packs to kill for my NV buff.

If I were you, I'd switch out Breath of Heaven and keep SSS. The heals are pretty much worthless in inferno anyway.
Yeah, I've definitely noticed that the heals are already pretty weak and I know it's only going to get less effective as time goes on. I think I was actually running with Serenity for a long time instead of BoH but I ended up switching back for a co-op session and I just kept it from that point on.

On the bright side, as your gear improves then so do your options. Blinding Flash can go away or get the +Damage rune on it, for instance. Same for Breath of Heaven, though I like it for the 45s +Damage passive and not necessarily the heal itself.
Wow, I think I missed that BoH rune, that seems very useful.

scy

Nah, not a requirement at all, but I'd very much say Serenity is. Adding to the discussion though,what I like about Blinding Flash is that it cools down fast and is cheap as hell. 10 spirit. Compared to SSS which is 50 spirit and 30 second cooldown and Wave of Light which is a whopping 75.

But that's for me, and I use my spirit on mantra pops mostly.

Serenity will never leave my bar.

Spirit costs, I like the higher ones which is why I like Wave of Light so much. Spirit spent == Healing so 75 on Wave of Light makes it, for my Monk, around a ~7500 Heal per use. Spirit generation is through the roof so the cost itself isn't a big deal. Plus, it's nice to have something besides a Mantra to hit.

Mitama

Some dude killing bosses easily with HP under 16k

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5633976065?page=1#12

Damn he just swallowed Belial's smash.

So nice. Got a level 60 wizard waiting for me as my next character. Demon Hunter might have smoke screen, but it's so nice being able to at least take a single hit. Act 3 has been killer with those goats that throw spears at you and soul rippers that can lick you from offscreen.

Oh yeah scy, forgot to reply sorry, but wasn't Opiate's gear pretty damn expensive? Or is his DPS rather low and can he just outheal everything?

My current monk build has been really fun.
FOT>Thunderclap or Crippling Wave>concussion
Deadly Reach>Foresight
Kick > Sweeping armada W/FOT and Kick>stun for CW
MoH>Res or Moc>Overawe for small mobs
Serenity>heal
Breath of Heaven>Blazing Wrath

I start every fight by casting BoH and Moh/Moc then i attack with DR
(so if i have Moc I get an additional +15%, +18% +24/48= (57/81% to damage) 57 Lasts for 30sec and 81 for the first three. Sometimes i drop the kick for bosses and throw in blinding flash for 30% dps bonus for the first 3 sec.)

I heal with mantra spam and boh and LTK to push everyone away from me
Serenity is my oh shit button i hit in conjunction with a potion usually and book out and regen my spirit somewhere safe if i need to.

Also essence Burn is hilarious in act 3. The bodies fly everywhere. If you could start the kill chain, i bet it would work in inferno.

Lombax

Banned
Morning DiabloGaf,

I hit inferno mode over the weekend, and while I am not getting 1 shot'ed I am having some problems. Here is a breakdown of my current stats anyone who can offer suggestions for gear, and or a build that may help I would appreciate the help.
current_Stats.jpg

current build

thank you.

scy

So nice. Got a level 60 wizard waiting for me as my next character. Demon Hunter might have smoke screen, but it's so nice being able to at least take a single hit. Act 3 has been killer with those goats that throw spears at you and soul rippers that can lick you from offscreen.

Soul Rippers tend to one-shot my Wizard still. I think I need to just move-on from my DPS/MF% set and get some generic 150 INT/VIT on every slot :( Or bump my resists up, I guess.

Oh yeah scy, forgot to reply sorry, but wasn't Opiate's gear pretty damn expensive? Or is his DPS rather low and can he just outheal everything?

...probably rather expensive, though at least one or two were just drops. Smokescreen is definitely a cheaper build option until you get to maximizing per slot Damage.

Edit: On that note, my DH has two sets to go between. ~230% GF or ~220% MF, depending on what I'm farming. They give fuck all for HP, Armor, Resists, etc. but Act 1 and 2 Inferno are still pretty easy, though there's a lot of deaths :x

Siegfried

Well, after about 3 days of act 1 runs I now can consistently kill the Butcher without dying. It's amazing how much my Demon Hunter has improved since I finished Hell. Now I'm starting act 2, I managed to get to Magda yesterday, but got disconnected as I was about to kill her with a Nephalem stack of 5 =(

Act 2 is hell, but is doable now. I still die A LOT, but at least I can struggle to get past things now, the first time I got there it was a brick wall.

Oh, by the way. WTF is up with the AH? Yesterday I looked at some quivers so I could find a price tag to sell 2 I had found, quiver prices are ridiculous. A billion gold for one? The two I found are probably selling for like hundreds of million gold. That's ridiculos. Is this happening with all items in the AH?

Why is everything so fast in act 2? God damn it

In the caves trying to get the blood and I can't kite shit. Really hate how dependent I have to be on smokescreen, my survival can be directly equated to how much Discipline I have left. It's ridiculous

Mitama

Morning DiabloGaf,

I hit inferno mode over the weekend, and while I am not getting 1 shot'ed I am having some problems. Here is a breakdown of my current stats anyone who can offer suggestions for gear, and or a build that may help I would appreciate the help.
current_Stats.jpg

current build

thank you.

You should aim for at least 300-400 resists and definitely a lot more HP too. I'd try 25k-30k. But yeah, your resists and life are
very low.

scy

Any advice on what can I do in Inferno against packs with Speed as a Wizard?

Cry softly, I guess. I run Teleport/Blizzard just to help create the space I need to kill things. Try to block them with your Templar as well.

Fast is pretty much the one attribute that is guaranteed to fuck with my Wizard as all planning comes down to enemy type and terrain. Thankfully, Act 3 has endless miles to kite around in so they haven't been as troublesome recently but Act 2 inside caves? Oh god why.

DEO3

So clearly I don't understand how this game's fucking quest/checkpoint works.

I spent the better part of yesterday smashing my head against Inferno Belial, finally beating him and making it into Act 3. I quit the game feeling pretty awesome about myself, then came back later to go farm some pony's in Act 1. Now I'm ready to get started in Act 3 so I go to change my quest, and I find the last quest/checkpoint available to me isn't Act 3, but Act 2, before killing Belial - WHAT THE FUCK???

TheYanger

Well, after about 3 days of act 1 runs I now can consistently kill the Butcher without dying. It's amazing how much my Demon Hunter has improved since I finished Hell. Now I'm starting act 2, I managed to get to Magda yesterday, but got disconnected as I was about to kill her with a Nephalem stack of 5 =(

Act 2 is hell, but is doable now. I still die A LOT, but at least I can struggle to get past things now, the first time I got there it was a brick wall.

Oh, by the way. WTF is up with the AH? Yesterday I looked at some quivers so I could find a price tag to sell 2 I had found, quiver prices are ridiculous. A billion gold for one? The two I found are probably selling for like hundreds of million gold. That's ridiculos. Is this happening with all items in the AH?

The ones listed that high don't sell. People often do it for a high buyout when people sort and then a realistic bid to produce visibility.

Is this the best shield a barb could get?
Damn, I really want it.
So sexy
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/stormshield

With a high % it's basically bis atm yeah. Conceivably you could get a rare sacred shield that is better.

Witch Doctors really need a skill to help out with Resistances like other classes have.

Barbarians have War Cry with Impunity rune and Superstition, Monks have One With Everything and Mantra of Healing with Time of Need rune, and Wizards have Force Armor with Prismatic Armor rune. I don't think Demon Hunters have anything but between Smoke Screen, Shadow Power, Vault, Evasive Fire, etc... not taking much damage is pretty simple. Luckily, like Wizards, we use Intelligence as our primary stat so we at least have some base level of resistances that aren't abysmally low but jumping up to something like five or six hundred Resists requires a massive investment, and usually a large sacrifice in other stats.

TommyT

Is there a good forum or anything that revolves around trading/selling items?

Witch Doctors really need a skill to help out with Resistances like other classes have.

Barbarians have War Cry with Impunity rune and Superstition, Monks have One With Everything and Mantra of Healing with Time of Need rune, and Wizards have Force Armor with Prismatic Armor rune. I don't think Demon Hunters have anything but between Smoke Screen, Shadow Power, Vault, Evasive Fire, etc... not taking much damage is pretty simple. Luckily, like Wizards, we use Intelligence as our primary stat so we at least have some base level of resistances that aren't abysmally low but jumping up to something like five or six hundred Resists requires a massive investment, and usually a large sacrifice in other stats.

:lol

eek5

If they buffed the summons to actually tank it would help a ton I think.

Is this the best shield a barb could get?
Damn, I really want it.
So sexy
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/stormshield

Good sacred shield roll is better but stormshield is good considering a lot of the set rolls are exactly what you'd want.

TheYanger

The imbalance between offense and defense is the primary class balance issue in the game, it's not easy to fix without just nerfing wizards and DHs into the ground. Barbs, Monks, and to a lesser extent Witch Doctors, basically cannot function as intended without insane defensive stats, while wizards and DHs ignore them. It allows Wiz/DH to stack less stats on their gear, allowing them to MF more easily, to buy 'good' gear more easily, etc. It lets them ignore effectively half of the mods on items in the game. Witch Doctors can, but not if you want to use pets, which is theoretically a major factor in their survivability. Without force armor/SS they kind of should be important but they won't scale unless you gear like a barb/monk.

It's kind of ridiculous, my gear on my barb isn't like OMG AMAZING, but it's QUITE good. Better than any of my DH/Wiz friends, cause they can afford not to care. Meanwhile I have 3m gold to my name and they have 30-50+ because there's just no reason to buy more shit except to kill faster.

And act 2 still takes a while, A3 is still just loldie half the time.

scy

...Wizards have Force Armor with Prismatic Armor rune.

Not too many people really use this, though. Maybe low HP and Resist geared ones, I guess. The return on this isn't that great vs other slot options, honestly. +20% Resistances don't add as much to your total mitigation as most people seem to think.

For instance, 400 -> 480 is ~56% -> ~60% mitigation. Even at lower values (say, 200), it's still a rather small increase.

Having Pets be able to actually distract things should be your priority :x Right now, it's mostly a snare and Walling things.

V_Arnold

Not too many people really use this, though. Maybe low HP and Resist geared ones, I guess. The return on this isn't that great vs other slot options, honestly. +20% Resistances don't add as much to your total mitigation as most people seem to think.

For instance, 400 -> 480 is ~56% -> ~60% mitigation. Even at lower values (say, 200), it's still a rather small increase.

Having Pets be able to actually distract things should be your priority :x Right now, it's mostly a snare and Walling things.

Except that it is a +40% resist, is not it? : )

500->700 is way better jump on it.

TheYanger

Resist and Armor scale almost completely linearly, in fact. You're talking about over a 10% damage reduction in a 56-60% jump. If people don't take it it's because there are better options, I definitely believe that, but it's a sizeable amount. That being said, since it's a percentage gain of a linear gaining stat, it's obviously MORE powerful the more you have.

scy

Except that it is a +40% resist, is not it? : )

500->700 is way better jump on it.

I'm just stupid this morning; I even did 200 -> 280 to double check there wasn't some range where it was a huge boost. That said, 500 -> 700 is still only 61.3% -> 67%. Compared to Force Armor, it's just generally not an amazing jump until your Armor and Resists are high enough to let you pretend to tank :x

Resist and Armor scale almost completely linearly, in fact. You're talking about over a 10% damage reduction in a 56-60% jump. If people don't take it it's because there are better options, I definitely believe that, but it's a sizeable amount. That being said, since it's a percentage gain of a linear gaining stat, it's obviously MORE powerful the more you have.

Armor and Resist aren't linear. EHP with respect to Resist and Armor is a linear function but the mitigation from Armor/Resists itself isn't. I suppose it's being nitpicky, though.

TheYanger

What stats should a barb be hitting for inferno act ii?
All Resistance? Strength? DPS? Vit and health? Armor?

You want like 8k armor 600ish resist all with your shout to manage. More is better. It will be hard still. More hp is better than less hp, but as long as it's like 40k it's plenty. Too low and your revenges don't heal much. You also want life on hit. A lot. Lower dps weapons with life on hit and/or sockets are much better than higher dps ones.

I'm just stupid this morning; I even did 200 -> 280 to double check there wasn't some range where it was a huge boost. That said, 500 -> 700 is still only 61.3% -> 67%. Compared to Force Armor, it's just generally not an amazing jump until your Armor and Resists are high enough to let you pretend to tank :x

That's a 17% reduction in damage...that's quite good.

V_Arnold

I do not know. Halfway through Act2 inf, I have yet to see something taking more than 35% of my hp to warrant the less resists. The stuff that hurts me the most is the bombarding of mortar or the times when 4-5 teleporters rush on me. None of it is helped by reducing more than 35% to 35%. But I have 44k+ hp and 600+ all resist with 7000+ armor (shield,70% reduction from that), so the higher resist goes, the more I benefit from +resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom