• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

That's a 17% reduction in damage...that's quite good.

And it's still really not enough to compare to Force Armor just mitigating things to 35% your Health. Eventually, yes, you can reach enough Armor/Resists that you're better off with Prismatic Armor for raw mitigation but that means your base Armor/Resists are good enough to take all incoming damage to less than 35% your max Health anyway.

I guess the bigger takeaway is that Force Armor is still really good.

TheYanger

And it's still really not enough to compare to Force Armor just mitigating things to 35% your Health. Eventually, yes, you can reach enough Armor/Resists that you're better off with Prismatic Armor for raw mitigation but that means your base Armor/Resists are good enough to take all incoming damage to less than 35% your max Health anyway.

I guess the bigger takeaway is that Force Armor is still really good.

Of course it's not better than Force Armor ;p Literally nothing in the game is better than Force Armor. It *IS* a sizeable reduction in damage is all I'm saying.

You mean this white shield is better than SS?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/sacred-shield

He means getting a rare with great mods. this is true. It would have to be the PERFECT rare though. Res all, Block %, high base block %, -elite damage - melee damage, probably vit and life % ideally. That'd be 'perfect' and it will probably never happen in D3, so realistically yes, stormshield is bis. The base item is stronger than Stormshield's base item, Stormshield is just guaranteed to have great stats already as long as the block % is high, which makes it vastly easier to get a good one. The static rolls on it are fantastic.

Oh, com'n... it's common knowledge Demon Hunters are one of, if not the best class, at completely avoiding damage. Wizard is the only other class that comes close. I'm not saying they should be nerfed, I just feel as though Witch Doctors are missing some important skills as far as survivability is concerned that forces us into extraordinarily extreme gear requirements... that end up being expensive and slowing our progress.

If they buffed the summons to actually tank it would help a ton I think.
Having Pets be able to actually distract things should be your priority :x Right now, it's mostly a snare and Walling things.
That would be nice. As of now our traditional summons are completely useless past Hell, or at least parts of Act 1 inferno, our tank - the Gargantuan is easily one-shot by everything. It's armor value is derived from our armor value and since WD's have such low strength it's a joke - Vitality doesn't effect it at all. The dogs are absolutely abysmal outside of Sacrifice robots but that requires at least 3 skill slots to even be remotely effective.

The imbalance between offense and defense is the primary class balance issue in the game, it's not easy to fix without just nerfing wizards and DHs into the ground. Barbs, Monks, and to a lesser extent Witch Doctors, basically cannot function as intended without insane defensive stats, while wizards and DHs ignore them. It allows Wiz/DH to stack less stats on their gear, allowing them to MF more easily, to buy 'good' gear more easily, etc. It lets them ignore effectively half of the mods on items in the game. Witch Doctors can, but not if you want to use pets, which is theoretically a major factor in their survivability. Without force armor/SS they kind of should be important but they won't scale unless you gear like a barb/monk.
Well said

eek5

If it got an exceptional roll, yes.

3706–4706 Block Amount

Significantly higher block amount than SS and being iL63 means it can roll higher mods (i.e. 80 resist all instead of just 70). Sure it can only roll up to 29% block chance but 29% with 3706-4706 is still better than 32% of whatever the SS blocks.

He means getting a rare with great mods. this is true. It would have to be the PERFECT rare though. Res all, Block %, high base block %, -elite damage - melee damage, probably vit and life % ideally. That'd be 'perfect' and it will probably never happen in D3, so realistically yes, stormshield is bis. The base item is stronger than Stormshield's base item, Stormshield is just guaranteed to have great stats already as long as the block % is high, which makes it vastly easier to get a good one. The static rolls on it are fantastic.

Stormshield has an average block of 3290 damage. Sacred blocks an average of 4206 damage. I don't think a 27.8% difference is insignificant. You wouldn't really need to match all the properties of the SS; I think that is highly unrealistic. Having just a handfull of SS's mods would make it highly attractive imo. It's higher item level than the SS as well so it can roll higher tier mods (i.e. resis all 80, reduce damage vs melee/elite/etc 6%, 200 str/vita instead of 169, etc)

Achtius

Question for wizards:

Is attack speed on weapon important or should i go for highest possible DPS even if it's on slow weapon ?

If they have the same dps, I take the slower weapon. The faster your attack speed is, the faster it drains your arcane power, while doing the same damage.

scy

I do not know. Halfway through Act2 inf, I have yet to see something taking more than 35% of my hp to warrant the less resists. The stuff that hurts me the most is the bombarding of mortar or the times when 4-5 teleporters rush on me. None of it is helped by reducing more than 35% to 35%. But I have 44k+ hp and 600+ all resist with 7000+ armor (shield,70% reduction from that), so the higher resist goes, the more I benefit from +resistance.

I have to take back what I said, 500 -> 700 is a big deal at those kind of stats. This is beyond the breaking point (besides the occasional high damage easy-to-dodge attacks) where Force Armor stops being useful and Prismatic is better. From a gearing up perspective, Prismatic isn't worth it vs Force Armor, generally speaking.

Essentially, Force Armor is at it's best until you reach the point where the average attack deals less than 35% of your Health per hit.

Question for wizards:

Is attack speed on weapon important or should i go for highest possible DPS even if it's on slow weapon ?

Depends on your build; I rely on fast attacks (~2.6 APS right now) for kiting. Works better in my opinion.

Just like diablo 2 every white item has a chance to spawn as either a magic item or a rare item. Unfortunately I don't think there's a legendary for every item type like there was in diablo 2, but thats beside the point. Every magic and rare item is just a base item with certain affixes spawned onto it. So while a magic sacred shield will never beat out a storm shield because of the limit on affixes (I think 2 is max for magic items) a rare sacred shield with 5 or 6 affixes can beat a storm shield, provided you get a super godly roll.

TheYanger

If they have the same dps, I take the slower weapon. The faster your attack speed is, the faster it drains your arcane power, while doing the same damage.

faster attacks are generally better, because they give you more ability to hit and run as well as a bigger life on hit gain (Whcih IS a good stat for wizards too). All the best weapons are as fast as possible. Kiting is too important and speed affects it more than anything else.

Achtius

faster attacks are generally better, because they give you more ability to hit and run as well as a bigger life on hit gain (Whcih IS a good stat for wizards too). All the best weapons are as fast as possible. Kiting is too important and speed affects it more than anything else.

Get IAS on other items (rings, glove and other stuff), which would ACTUALLY raise your dps since you channel faster :p

But if we are talking about two weapons with the same DPS but one with 0.9 attack speed and the other is 1.2, I would totally take the 0.9 one

So DHs in inferno that use Elemental Arrow. Is the lifesteal on Nether Tentacles worth giving up the bigger AoE on Ball Lightning for? I suspect I'm under armored, but so far I've found that things hit so hard that the lifesteal from NT has been a bit of a non factor in my survivability.

TheYanger

Get IAS on other items (rings, glove and other stuff), which would ACTUALLY raise your dps since you channel faster :p

Getting IAS on other slots doesn't preclude you having it on a weapon. A slightly faster weapon with lower dps is still going to beat a slightly slower weapon with higher dps in almost all situations as a ranged in this game. That's just the nature of it. Your weapon doesn't operate in a vacuum, and the speed with which you animate attacks is quite important.

So DHs in inferno that use Elemental Arrow. Is the lifesteal on Nether Tentacles worth giving up the bigger AoE on Ball Lightning for? I suspect I'm under armored, but so far I've found that things hit so hard that the lifesteal from NT has been a bit of a non factor in my survivability.
I believe the reason people use nether tentacles is because the projectile is huge and slow and hits boss mobs many times. Feel free to correct me.

masud

Banned
As a wizard what dps should i be at before starting act 2 inferno?

Wait, life on hit does work with Wizard spells? Multiple people have told me it doesn't.

TommyT

Oh, com'n... it's common knowledge Demon Hunters are one of, if not the best class, at completely avoiding damage. Wizard is the only other class that comes close. I'm not saying they should be nerfed, I just feel as though Witch Doctors are missing some important skills as far as survivability is concerned that forces us into extraordinarily extreme gear requirements... that end up being expensive and slowing our progress.

DH don't have any consistent mitigation skills*. Sure SS can be used, but it cannot be spammed due to the timer. So while it is good at avoiding periodic damages and telegraphed attacks, it isn't consistent. Once you're out of that option what do you have left?

*As obvious as those of other classes. Optiate was going an interesting route through what we do have and I'll be interested on his progress.

Yes. The LS, while good, isn't really what it's for. The fact that it's slow moving, hits multiple enemies multiple times in tight areas is where it's at. But yeah, sounds like you're a bit under-geared atm. Post your stats?

V_Arnold

Getting IAS on other slots doesn't preclude you having it on a weapon. A slightly faster weapon with lower dps is still going to beat a slightly slower weapon with higher dps in almost all situations as a ranged in this game. That's just the nature of it. Your weapon doesn't operate in a vacuum, and the speed with which you animate attacks is quite important.

The slower your weapon is, the bigger benefit it gets with Attack Speed.
1.0 swing/s = 1.0 speed -> 30% ias -> 0.7 0.3 decrease
1.5 swing/s = 0.5 speed -> 30% ias -> 0.35 0.15 decrease.

(of course the difference between them will remain constant, but at this point, weapon damage is more interesting imho.)

TheYanger

As a wizard what dps should i be at before starting act 2 inferno?

Wait, life on hit does work with Wizard spells? Multiple people have told me it doesn't.

Only your primary target I think. My wizard friend that I've rolled with since day one with over 250 hours played has tons of it and fills his hp up every hit, that's how he does it since they nerfed low hp force armor. i'm sure there are other spells it doesn't work with (hydras I'm fairly sure, etc).

Lan_97

NT does full damage on each hit. Ball lightning does ~50% damage each hit. That's the main reason why people choose NT, a harder hitting version of Ball Lightning.

DryvBy

You want like 8k armor 600ish resist all with your shout to manage. More is better. It will be hard still. More hp is better than less hp, but as long as it's like 40k it's plenty. Too low and your revenges don't heal much. You also want life on hit. A lot. Lower dps weapons with life on hit and/or sockets are much better than higher dps ones.

That's a 17% reduction in damage...that's quite good.
What buff settings should I try out?

Achtius

I use arcane orb, shooting 2-3 will drain all my arcane power. So I would like the maximize my damage, and I usually have teleport with fracture runes (and illusionist passive) to distract enemy if needed.

TheYanger

The slower your weapon is, the bigger benefit it gets with Attack Speed.
1.0 swing/s = 1.0 speed -> 30% ias -> 0.7 0.3 decrease
1.5 swing/s = 0.5 speed -> 30% ias -> 0.35 0.15 decrease.

(of course the difference between them will remain constant, but at this point, weapon damage is more interesting imho.)

The difference remaining constant is what's important. Would you take a .1 attacks per second weapon with 50 more dps than a 1.5 attacks per second weapon, just because your IAS rings and necklace provide a larger per second gain? no. The percentage gain is the same, so it's really NOT a gain. The DPS gain is constant and does not change. So, again, two weapons one with IAS one without, and otherwise equal, the IAS weapon is superior for the vast majority of applications (including kiting which, let's face it, is the REALLY important application). This is like the inverse of armor calculations, where gains look smaller but remain linear - yeah you add less attacks per second to the faster weapon, but you add the same dps.

What buff settings should I try out?

The common barb builds are all Nerves of Steel/Tough as Nails/Superstition passive, War Cry/Impunity for your buff. Those are the only ones that affect your stats.
Otherwise, Revenge/provocation is obvious and 100% required, Frenzy sidearm procs more life on hit and does the most dps in almost all situations. You occasionally see slight variation in other abilities but it's PRETTY typical to have:
Frenzy/sidearm, Furious charge/Dreadnaught, Threatening Roar/(Falter or Grim Harvest), War Cry/Impunity, Revenge/Provocation, Wrath of the Berserker/Insanity.

Threatening and Wrath are the most likely not to be in someone's build, threatening you can drop for quake when you can handle mobs decently, but when you're 'fresh' to an act it's really good to have the -damage debuff.
Wrath though it may not look it is a HUGE defensive cooldown for elites/champs, since it gives you immunity to CC you can use it to break a fear/freeze/whatever and burn a mob down, making the rest vastly easier. Charge is both a quality heal (8% per mob), an escape/movement tool, AND a CC immunity. You can't break CC (except jailer) with it, but you can AVOID most with it. Like charging when freeze bombs blow up will not freeze you, even if you're 'inside' them when you're charging by them. It can get you through arcane beams with little damage, etc. It's just fantastic. Timing is hard, but that's good it makes it like a skillshot type deal.

masud

Banned
Only your primary target I think. My wizard friend that I've rolled with since day one with over 250 hours played has tons of it and fills his hp up every hit, that's how he does it since they nerfed low hp force armor. i'm sure there are other spells it doesn't work with (hydras I'm fairly sure, etc).

Oh, not really worth it imo then.

Really? I'm at 17k I melt everything in act 1. Gonna be hard to get to 30...

Revoh

If it got an exceptional roll, yes.

3706–4706 Block Amount

Significantly higher block amount than SS and being iL63 means it can roll higher mods (i.e. 80 resist all instead of just 70). Sure it can only roll up to 29% block chance but 29% with 3706-4706 is still better than 32% of whatever the SS blocks.

Stormshield has an average block of 3290 damage. Sacred blocks an average of 4206 damage. I don't think a 27.8% difference is insignificant. You wouldn't really need to match all the properties of the SS; I think that is highly unrealistic. Having just a handfull of SS's mods would make it highly attractive imo. It's higher item level than the SS as well so it can roll higher tier mods (i.e. resis all 80, reduce damage vs melee/elite/etc 6%, 200 str/vita instead of 169, etc)

Just like diablo 2 every white item has a chance to spawn as either a magic item or a rare item. Unfortunately I don't think there's a legendary for every item type like there was in diablo 2, but thats beside the point. Every magic and rare item is just a base item with certain affixes spawned onto it. So while a magic sacred shield will never beat out a storm shield because of the limit on affixes (I think 2 is max for magic items) a rare sacred shield with 5 or 6 affixes can beat a storm shield, provided you get a super godly roll.

You guys rule, thanks for explaining it

Achtius

The difference remaining constant is what's important. Would you take a .1 attacks per second weapon with 50 more dps than a 1.5 attacks per second weapon, just because your IAS rings and necklace provide a larger per second gain? no. The percentage gain is the same, so it's really NOT a gain. The DPS gain is constant and does not change. So, again, two weapons one with IAS one without, and otherwise equal, the IAS weapon is superior for the vast majority of applications (including kiting which, let's face it, is the REALLY important application). This is like the inverse of armor calculations, where gains look smaller but remain linear - yeah you add less attacks per second to the faster weapon, but you add the same dps.

but the problem is wizard have limited arcane power. At least I do anyways. lol

I'm playing a Monk right now (still never got past Nightmare despite playing the game nonstop, I have to juggle two characters one for solo play and one for Coop with a friend), but considering all that I hear about Inferno a lot of the reasons the Monk sucks on that mode is apparent in the earlier difficulties. It seems like he's forced to stay near enemies at all times and while still having limited crowd control. I needed to give him some Vit so he'd survive more often.

Yes. The LS, while good, isn't really what it's for. The fact that it's slow moving, hits multiple enemies multiple times in tight areas is where it's at. But yeah, sounds like you're a bit under-geared atm. Post your stats?

Doesn't BL do that too but with a bigger aoe? I think the BL projectile is even slower than NT but it's pretty close.
NT does full damage on each hit. Ball lightning does ~50% damage each hit. That's the main reason why people choose NT, a harder hitting version of Ball Lightning.

Ah, ok that makes more sense.

I'm playing a Monk right now (still never got past Nightmare despite playing the game nonstop, I have to juggle two characters one for solo play and one for Coop with a friend), but considering all that I hear about Inferno a lot of the reasons the Monk sucks on that mode is apparent in the earlier difficulties. It seems like he's forced to stay near enemies at all times and while still having limited crowd control. I needed to give him some Vit so he'd survive more often.
My friends monk is ridiculously survivable in hell.

V_Arnold

Alright, let us look at it from another angle. What situation allows the slower weapons to be used when one is kiting anyway?

Well, stuff that either
a) Uses so much Arcane power that you cant spam it anyway
b) Uses a "cast it, leave it there" type of thing that attacks based on your weapon damage
c) Uses stuff like "when you get hit, you deal % weapon damage).

So this leaves us with Hydra (Venom hydra is really the most potent dps tool for a kiting wizard, one that knows how to move around places and mob packs. It does not benefit you from +life on hit. On slowing? You have two options: one is the arcane slowdown route with maybe +arcane arcane missiles signature - here, I definitely think that a faster weapon is more amazing as you get back insane amounts of AP in mere seconds.

...but the other is the Meteor (Comet) build. It does frost damage, it slows around an area, it can be used quite cleverly, it leaves a damaging area on the floor (just like Venom hydra), and you cant spam it (60 ap cost! remember, we have 80 at base thanks to ES). And it draws from your weapon damage to determine the dot and the initial hit.

And incidentally, while Blizzard's Life on hit is hysterically low, Meteor gives us the full benefits.

Just my ideas, ofc :D

How much increased movement speed do I need so that I can reliably get out of the way of shit?

I can't dodge without consuming resources atm

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
My friends monk is ridiculously survivable in hell.

Until Act 2, Inferno, Monks can pretty much faceroll everything without much effort or thought, provided you made an effort to get some useful gear. From Act 2 on, it gets so fucking annoying sometimes. It's definitely doable but frustrating when you know that some combinations are just unbeatable in some areas of the map (e.g., not a lot of room).

scy

Of course it's not better than Force Armor ;p Literally nothing in the game is better than Force Armor. It *IS* a sizeable reduction in damage is all I'm saying.

The original post was remarking that Wizard's have Prismatic Armor as a means to not have to gear up to Resistances when, in fact, that's the only time it actually will be used. That was my point. Though, I did dumb all over myself on the mitigation jumps being relevant :/

Alright, let us look at it from another angle. What situation allows the slower weapons to be used when one is kiting anyway?

My Wizard runs full on Attack Speed (2.6 APS) and Movement (+25%) and spams Shock Pulse > Piercing Orb all day. If I swap to my Life on Hit Weapon (1.65 Weapon -> 1.2 Weapon), my kiting survivability plummets due how long it takes me to stop, cast, and resume moving.

My relatively low Weapon Damage hurts for Blizard and Hydra (potentially, I'll test this later; some spells use Character Damage, not Weapon Damage, when determining their damage) but the gain in damage from spamming Shock Pulse is more than worth it in my opinion.

Then again, my Wizard build is basically "how to get my damage without relying on AP."

Home

Do the snakemen in Act 2 take damage while they are invisible? Been having trouble with them on inferno as they go invisible over my traps and one shot me before I have a chance to hit them. I don't think they take damage but I'm not sure.

Do the snakemen in Act 2 take damage while they are invisible? Been having trouble with them on inferno as they go invisible over my traps and one shot me before I have a chance to hit them. I don't think they take damage but I'm not sure.

they're completely invulnerable

scy

No damage. They ignore all effects too. It's pretty much bullshit :x

OK, I did not know that Goblins can hide in corpses. Just had one jump out in the spider cave in Act 1.

That's part of an event; there's a named Spider there guarding a cocooned Treasure Goblin and a chest.

zlatko

Banned
Going to be honest: having played like nothing but Monk for the beta and release, to finally be this deep into a different class(which doctor) shows me just how fuck awesome WD is. It was the only class in beta I didn't want to play because it seemed like it'd be weak and a bit silly as well as complicated to play.

I'll eat my crow now. WD is the shit! :D

Ferrio

Banned
So I've been seeing my friend on at odd hours, and not responding to any of my texts. I got suspicious that he might of been hacked. Got in touch with him... this was his response.

"Neither! I run a bot to farm goldz lolol. (asks him how much he has made) Think around 50-60 million but I've sold it all online for real dollars. It is a new game for me, see how much money I can make off diablo! So far, $855 lol"

That whore.

scy

So I've been seeing my friend on at odd hours, and not responding to any of my texts. I got suspicious that he might of been hacked. Got in touch with him... this was his response.

"Neither! I run a bot to farm goldz lolol. (asks him how much he has made) Think around 50-60 million but I've sold it all online for real dollars. It is a new game for me, see how much money I can make off diablo! So far, $855 lol"

That whore.

As much as I want to (eventually) make some money from Diablo, I don't think I could ever just bot it and sell gold that way.

Petrie

Banned

That whore.

Where do I get this bot? Lolz.

eek5

You guys rule, thanks for explaining it

One thing about shields is when you see the block text pop up, you're still taking damage. If you see absorb that means that the block roll was bigger than the damage you were taking. In A2-4 inferno I get block text way more often than absorb on my sacred shield which means if you were running SS you'd be taking an average of 916 more damage for those blocks. Even just a really good roll on a sacred shield is probably going to be more valuable than a stormshield imo (as long as the total block chance is over 25)

The great thing about SS is that it is guaranteed to roll a lot of stats that Barbs are already stacking so it's much more easily obtained which is why it is good.

I went full on stupid with my DH yesterday, converting my gear from vit/dex (38k hp/~23k dps) to full-on dex and MF, bringing me down to 15k hp, but boosting my dps (without sharpshooter) to 33k. Got my MF to 88% as well.

Of course, this leaves no safety net whatsoever on inferno. I'm pretty sure I can vault around like a gymnast and stay out of trouble, but I have a sinking feeling I gimped myself. What say you, D3-GAF?

scy

I went full on stupid with my DH yesterday, converting my gear from vit/dex (38k hp/~23k dps) to full-on dex and MF, bringing me down to 15k hp, but boosting my dps (without sharpshooter) to 33k. Got my MF to 88% as well.

Of course, this leaves no safety net whatsoever on inferno. I'm pretty sure I can vault around like a gymnast and stay out of trouble, but I have a sinking feeling I gimped myself. What say you, D3-GAF?

My DH has around ~220% MF with ~30k Sharpshooter DPS. Not too much trouble with Act 1 at all and some issues with wide open areas of Act 2 (and/or bad elite packs) but otherwise not so bad, really.

Ferrio

Banned

You could have 200 hp, and DH would still play the same way in inferno.

Also vault isn't going to save your ass, SS will.

I'm currently at like.... 12k?

You could have 200 hp, and DH would still play the same way in inferno.

Also vault isn't going to save your ass, SS will.

Yeah, I'm rolling with SS, vault, and prep for my three consonants, and multishot for my vowel. 220% magic find??! Without NV? Lawdy lawdy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom