• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
When does Hell get really difficult? I'm in Act 2 with an undergrared DH and I do fine outside of the the occasional elite with the wall attack.

Won

I went full on stupid with my DH yesterday, converting my gear from vit/dex (38k hp/~23k dps) to full-on dex and MF, bringing me down to 15k hp, but boosting my dps (without sharpshooter) to 33k. Got my MF to 88% as well.

Of course, this leaves no safety net whatsoever on inferno. I'm pretty sure I can vault around like a gymnast and stay out of trouble, but I have a sinking feeling I gimped myself. What say you, D3-GAF?

Well, it's one way to go about things.

scy

Yeah, I'm rolling with SS, vault, and prep for my three consonants, and multishot for my vowel. 220% magic find??! Without NV? Lawdy lawdy.

To be fair, she mainly just farms Treasure Goblin (Act 2) or easy partial Act clears in Act 1 Inferno. I also have a ~230% Gold Farm set for running areas in Act 3 for gold farming on lower difficulties.

My Wizard is more for the harder runs.

Number45

When does Hell get really difficult? I'm in Act 2 with an undergrared DH and I do fine outside of the the occasional elite with the wall attack.
I actually found Hell got easier as I played and managed to naturally gear up my Barb, aside from the obvious shitty rolls on packs.

Gila

So a friend just gave me this crossbow:

PwpUD.png

It brought my dps down by 10k (somehow..) but increased my attack speed by .70 and it feels like I'm attacking much faster and killing mobs much faster. Should I keep with it or just go back to my old bow here

hkfGt.png

So I've been seeing my friend on at odd hours, and not responding to any of my texts. I got suspicious that he might of been hacked. Got in touch with him... this was his response.

"Neither! I run a bot to farm goldz lolol. (asks him how much he has made) Think around 50-60 million but I've sold it all online for real dollars. It is a new game for me, see how much money I can make off diablo! So far, $855 lol"

That whore.

$$$ wow

Damn it all, there were a perfect pair of gloves on the EU AH, dex vit, + all resist 8% crit and/ + crit damage.

They didn't have a buyout, bid 2.6m (which is the max I could). Got sniped :( They would have lasted me forever too. ARGH.

On the plus side, just killed Rakanoth inferno. Silly fight really. Had to change my skills entirely to kill him, but one step closer to the big fella.

I've said this before, but I still see some misunderstanding in this thread so let me say it again:

Item stats are rolled when the item drops, nto when you ID it.

I know this because the other day I got an item and IDed it. About 2 seconds later I was DCed and when I came back online, the item was still not Identified. When I ID'ed it a second item, it was 100% exactly the same as the first time I ID'ed it.

What this means is that anyone holding unidentified legendary or set items until after the supposed legendary buff patch, you're wasting an inventory slot. It's not going to be any better after the patch.

So a friend just gave me this crossbow:

PwpUD.png

It brought my dps down by 10k (somehow..) but increased my attack speed by .70 and it feels like I'm attacking much faster and killing mobs much faster. Should I keep with it or just go back to my old bow here

hkfGt.png

Weird that it drops your DPS by 10k, but if it feels better, might as well use it, right?

Seems like the faster attack speed is going to be beneficial to refill Hatred with Devouring Arrow, meaning more Elemental Arrow casts in the long run.

Narag

Weird that it drops your DPS by 10k, but if it feels better, might as well use it, right?

Seems like the faster attack speed is going to be beneficial to refill Hatred with Devouring Arrow, meaning more Elemental Arrow casts in the long run.

10k loss probably due to sharpshooter and thr 2h Xbow crit damage bonus.

lordy88

Hey guys, DH here that's still struggling with progressing further than about 2 quests into Act 2. Here's my build right now:

Essentially Impaling as often as possible (crit rune), Multishot (fire at will) for CC, and Hungering Arrow (Piercing) for general shots.

Vault (tumble) + Caltrops (slow 80%) to avoid attacks, with Companion (Bat) for Hatred Regen.

Should I be sticking in elemental arrow in here? Or SS? I have a love/hate with Vault and its delay, but it is incredibly useful, and helps me avoid attacks amazingly well.

I have a lot of DPS, but I was wondering if I should be focusing on High Res/Vit items to help me advance further in inferno, and I get killed easily by any fast past of critters (Savengers, Soul Lashers, Sand Leapers, etc.). Any thoughts?

J0dy77

Going to be honest: having played like nothing but Monk for the beta and release, to finally be this deep into a different class(which doctor) shows me just how fuck awesome WD is. It was the only class in beta I didn't want to play because it seemed like it'd be weak and a bit silly as well as complicated to play.

I'll eat my crow now. WD is the shit! :D

I shelved my monk last night for the same obvious reasons as everyone else. Having a blast with the WD.

The common barb builds are all Nerves of Steel/Tough as Nails/Superstition passive, War Cry/Impunity for your buff. Those are the only ones that affect your stats.
Otherwise, Revenge/provocation is obvious and 100% required, Frenzy sidearm procs more life on hit and does the most dps in almost all situations. You occasionally see slight variation in other abilities but it's PRETTY typical to have:
Frenzy/sidearm, Furious charge/Dreadnaught, Threatening Roar/(Falter or Grim Harvest), War Cry/Impunity, Revenge/Provocation, Wrath of the Berserker/Insanity.

Personally I don't go with Furious Charge or Threatening Shout. I prefer Ground Stomp / Wrenching Smash and Leap/Death from Above. This combo gives me an off-the-bat 6 second stunlock, and combined with Wrath of the Berserker this often allows me to kill a minion of a champ back completely risk-free which makes fights seriously easier. Also leap is a god send when you're trying to escape.

I honestly can't imagine not having Ground Stomp in my build, the draw-in / stun is just so beneficial.

Threatening and Wrath are the most likely not to be in someone's build, threatening you can drop for quake when you can handle mobs decently, but when you're 'fresh' to an act it's really good to have the -damage debuff.
Threatening Shout is actually garbage. The reason is that the damage reduction, like everything else, is multiplicative. 20% sure seems like a lot, until you realize that the number has already been reduced by probably 85% or more by your armor and resists, and then you're left with a 20% reduction of 15% of the original value. Not that great.

Wrath, also, I can't see going without it any reasonable build. you can kill almost anything with it before dying. Or as Kungen said, "It solves almost every problem."

Revoh

One thing about shields is when you see the block text pop up, you're still taking damage. If you see absorb that means that the block roll was bigger than the damage you were taking. In A2-4 inferno I get block text way more often than absorb on my sacred shield which means if you were running SS you'd be taking an average of 916 more damage for those blocks. Even just a really good roll on a sacred shield is probably going to be more valuable than a stormshield imo (as long as the total block chance is over 25)

The great thing about SS is that it is guaranteed to roll a lot of stats that Barbs are already stacking so it's much more easily obtained which is why it is good.

Very helpful, man. I need to fully learn (or study) this game. I know that for a barb the more resistance, armor, str and vit the better but I don't really know why, don't know how things scales and stuff like that. Is there a wiki when I could learn about this stuff?

Question. If I join a friends game that is inact4 inferno and I am only in act 2 will I teleport to act4? Not that I have friends or know anyone on act 4

scy

Very helpful, man. I need to fully learn (or study) this game. I know that for a barb the more resistance, armor, str and vit the better but I don't really know why, don't know how things scales and stuff like that. Is there a wiki when I could learn about this stuff?

Armor Damage Reduction = Armor / (Armor + Enemy Level * 50)
Resistance Damage Reduction = Resistance / (Resistance + Enemy Level * 5)

Damage Taken = Damage * (1 - Armor DR%) * (1 - Resistance DR%) * (1 - Other DR%)

If you successfully Block, it is blocking the result of that formula. As for the Attributes:

STR = +1 Armor, +1% Damage for Barbarians.
VIT = +35 HP (at Level 60)
INT = +0.1 All Resistances
DEX = +0.1 Dodge (up to 100 DEX; formula changes after that).

Question. If I join a friends game that is inact4 inferno and I am only in act 2 will I teleport to act4? Not that I have friends or know anyone on act 4

You'll be in Act 4. If you finish a Quest there, you'll also keep that Quest completion despite not having anything between your Act 2 and Act 4 quest credit.

Rufus

So, the melee range is really starting to piss me off now. Really fucks me over a lot as a WD. The templar isn't enough to distract shit from me and I can't use pets for that either because they die too quickly. WD fatigue setting in again. I'm trying to compensate with increased movement speed for the time being, but I guess I'll be leveling my Barb again soon.

That's part of an event; there's a named Spider there guarding a cocooned Treasure Goblin and a chest.
Ah, I see. That's where the many named spiders came from too, then. Was wondering what that was about.

Revoh

Armor Damage Reduction = Armor / (Armor + Enemy Level * 50)
Resistance Damage Reduction = Resistance / (Resistance + Enemy Level * 5)

Damage Taken = Damage * (1 - Armor DR%) * (1 - Resistance DR%) * (1 - Other DR%)

If you successfully Block, it is blocking the result of that formula. As for the Attributes:

STR = +1 Armor, +1% Damage for Barbarians.
VIT = +35 HP (at Level 60)
INT = +0.1 All Resistances
DEX = +0.1 Dodge (up to 100 DEX; formula changes after that).

Aaaaaand bookmarked. Holy shit man, thanks! :)

eek5

I bought a cheapish 2H to mess around in A1. I tried it in A3 and it worked pretty well behind my monk friend tanking (ended up clearing A3). Went and got some upgrade pieces to boost DPS even more and went to A2i to try it out.. surprisingly effective! I cleared about half of A2 with 5 stack. The only mobs that gave me a bit of trouble was an elite swarm group with molten that kept flying around covering the entirety of the ground in lava.

GC_BARB.jpg

(buffed w/ battle rage & WotB obviously)

In A3 I float around about 8500 armor and drop DPS to around 25-32k depending on whether or not I spec out battle rage.

The only problem is sometimes you run into stuff where you definitely NEED 9k armor, 1k resists, and block so I carry around Justice Lantern, my shield, 1H and SoE just in case shit gets real.

I'm probably going to keep this build and even if I go defensive, I'll probably swap to 2H/DPS gear when I pop WotB to do 4x the damage I usually do.

BTW.. not sure there is anything more satisfying than procing revenge in a group of trash mobs and just one shotting them all :lol

GC_BARB2.jpg

I dropped to 43k BC/90k WotB to gain back some HP/resis

This has a lot of good information too:
http://www.clicktoloot.com/p/combat.html

Lots of theory crafting/info finding here:
http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?167-Theorycrafting-and-Statistics

Personally I don't go with Furious Charge or Threatening Shout. I prefer Ground Stomp / Wrenching Smash and Leap/Death from Above. This combo gives me an off-the-bat 6 second stunlock, and combined with Wrath of the Berserker this often allows me to kill a minion of a champ back completely risk-free which makes fights seriously easier. Also leap is a god send when you're trying to escape.

I honestly can't imagine not having Ground Stomp in my build, the draw-in / stun is just so beneficial.

Threatening Shout is actually garbage. The reason is that the damage reduction, like everything else, is multiplicative. 20% sure seems like a lot, until you realize that the number has already been reduced by probably 85% or more by your armor and resists, and then you're left with a 20% reduction of 15% of the original value. Not that great.

Wrath, also, I can't see going without it any reasonable build. you can kill almost anything with it before dying. Or as Kungen said, "It solves almost every problem."

Wait, so at high levels, barbs don't have any non-cooldown based fury spenders that they're using? And they don't have open spots in the passives to use the "at full fury, do more damage" skill?

scy

Just to expand on it then, I say Strength is +1% Damage but it's a bit more complex than that. Here's the whole formula:

WeaponDamage * StatMod * CriticalMod * OtherMod

Stat Mod being the part where Strength works:
(1 + STR/100)

So, yes, +100 STR means +100% Damage. This doesn't mean your damage is doubling whenever you add 100 STR, however. 0 STR -> 100 STR means double the damage; 1000 STR -> 1100 STR means ~9% more damage. Just want to clarify that.

As for Dexterity and Dodge:

0 DEX - 100 DEX: +0.1% per point.
101 DEX - 500 DEX: +0.025% per point.
501 DEX - 1000 DEX: +0.020% per point.
1001 DEX - 8000 DEX: +0.010% per point.

So some DEX (up to around 500) isn't that bad for a Barb; I wouldn't sacrifice STR/VIT/Resists/etc. for it, certainly, but if two items are pretty much the same stats but one has DEX and the other has random_worthless_stat, I'd take the DEX :x

Wait, so at high levels, barbs don't have any non-cooldown based fury spenders that they're using? And they don't have open spots in the passives to use the "at full fury, do more damage" skill?

Sadly, I sit at full fury almost all the time, and no I don't use the Berserker Rage passive (or whatever it's called) because I'd have to give up Superstition.

I suppose I could try Berserker Rage sometime.

But yea, really most of Barb's fury spenders are garbage. The only ones that aren't have a 2 minute cooldown.

Deadly

So I've been seeing my friend on at odd hours, and not responding to any of my texts. I got suspicious that he might of been hacked. Got in touch with him... this was his response.

"Neither! I run a bot to farm goldz lolol. (asks him how much he has made) Think around 50-60 million but I've sold it all online for real dollars. It is a new game for me, see how much money I can make off diablo! So far, $855 lol"

That whore.
Bots already? Especially with the RMAH, Blizzard should have these shutdown as fast as fucking possible.

eek5

Barbarian is broken. Nobody is using fury spenders in inferno.

The only ones I ever use are Sprint and Battle Cry and I really only use BC in A1 and A2. The other skills are awful.

Most people run 3 defensive passive. I don't think the 25% increase in damage at full fury is worth losing vita=armor, 25% increased armor, or 20% reduced damage from non-physical. They should just roll tough as nails and nerves of steel into one passive or something.

Another issue with the 25% increase in damage at full fury is that you lose fury so fast when you're out of combat and when you reengage you have to hit and run so much in A3+ that you don't even benefit from full fury bonus until part way through the battle since you have to rebuild your fury. Just not worth it imo.

RS4-

My brother mentioned something to me earlier; while he was playing someone had joined his game and thanked him for the gold.

I asked if it was anyone on his friend list or if he was in a public game and he said it was just a normal SP game.

No idea what happened. Didn't lose any gold or whatever though lol.

Duelist

Hey guys, my character is kind of in a rut and I need some advice.

I rolled a HC Monk and I am at level 56. My stats (unbuffed) are:

Dex: 921
Vit: 1034
Armor: 3803
Damage: 3750.95
Dodge chance %: 28.4
All Resist (baseline): 57

I'm currently in Act 1 Hell and getting my ass kicked by elites past Leoric. I see that resists are probably my glaring weakness and need to find the right gear, but I'm low on gold.

Are there any good spots to farm quickly for gear and gold at my current level in Hell, and if there are, where? Also, do my stats look okay to be able to solo Act 1 Hell?

flsh

Banned
Did anyone have any issues getting a refund from Blizzard?
I just submitted a ticket asking for one because of constant severe latency. I can't play this game at all. I waited a few weeks hoping these issues will be resolved by they weren't yet and I can't play this game.
I died so many times because of lag issues it's not even funny. The game is really unplayable (I run from a mob, the server doesn't register that and a few seconds later I see that I died).

My PC is way above the requirements and my internet connection was fast enough when I played WoW for a few years (and I don't have issues in other games as well).

T.O.P

Banned
Can't play shit right now

Keep getting disconnected, get stucked at Retrieving Hero List, game freeze .repeat

the hell e.e

Shouta

Hey guys, my character is kind of in a rut and I need some advice.

I rolled a HC Monk and I am at level 56. My stats (unbuffed) are:

Dex: 921
Vit: 1034
Armor: 3803
Damage: 3750.95
Dodge chance %: 28.4
All Resist (baseline): 57

I'm currently in Act 1 Hell and getting my ass kicked by elites past Leoric. I see that resists are probably my glaring weakness and need to find the right gear, but I'm low on gold.

Are there any good spots to farm quickly for gear and gold at my current level in Hell, and if there are, where? Also, do my stats look okay to be able to solo Act 1 Hell?

You'll definitely want to get more gear. Since you're playing HC, it's better to play it safe. Your DPS is a tad low and you'll want much higher All Resist. Going back to Nightmare might be ok for a bit of gear or just the money you need to buy upgrades, it'll be safer too.

scy

Are there any good spots to farm quickly for gear and gold at my current level in Hell, and if there are, where?

Nightmare Heart of Sin, I guess. If you have some good equipment with Gold Find that will help but don't take it too far since ... well, hardcore and all.

Duelist

You'll definitely want to get more gear. Since you're playing HC, it's better to play it safe. Your DPS is a tad low and you'll want much higher All Resist. Going back to Nightmare might be ok for a bit of gear or just the money you need to buy upgrades, it'll be safer too.

Thanks. Is there any particular spot I can farm for gold in Nightmare fairly quickly?

EDIT:

Nightmare Heart of Sin, I guess. If you have some good equipment with Gold Find that will help but don't take it too far since ... well, hardcore and all.

I guess that answers it, thanks!

scy

I guess that answers it, thanks!

Granted, I run it on my DH since she just rolls through the area at top speed (and I have a ridiculous amount of Gold Find%). I'd add Siegebreaker to it but without Nephalem Valor and/or Magic Find gear, I can't imagine that kill being all that helpful to be honest.

I'm expecting a lot of questions on the lack of Inferno "balance" and errors/downtime.

Aside from barbarian, I'm kind of ok with the balance. I dont' know, I mean it's not perfect, but it's not as broken as I had first thought.

Barbarian though, I mean it's doable, but the amount of gear you need just to do anything is so far beyond the amount of gear you need for like DH that there's definitely an issue there.

Is the solution to buff barbarian or nerf other classes? I'm not convinced that a huge buff for barbarian is necessarily the only solution. Some kind of buff is certainly needed, but other things like simply increasing the ilvl of drops in each Act would also go a long way.

scy

Aside from barbarian, I'm kind of ok with the balance. I dont' know, I mean it's not perfect, but it's not as broken as I had first thought.

Barbarian though, I mean it's doable, but the amount of gear you need just to do anything is so far beyond the amount of gear you need for like DH that there's definitely an issue there.

Is the solution to buff barbarian or nerf other classes? I'm not convinced that a huge buff for barbarian is necessarily the only solution. Some kind of buff is certainly needed, but other things like simply increasing the ilvl of drops in each Act would also go a long way.

Improving Monk and Barbarian only drops would be a good start. Giving them something that just flat out works only for them would be the best itemization fix. Or I guess just improving them all across the board but really, really fix Monk and Barb ones :x

I'm fine with the difficulty, even for my Monk, but I do have a DH and Wizard that can afford to fix any problems I run into. Most won't have that luxury. I plan to do my eventual Barb character as self-sufficient as I can.

TommyT

Hey guys, DH here that's still struggling with progressing further than about 2 quests into Act 2. Here's my build right now:

Essentially Impaling as often as possible (crit rune), Multishot (fire at will) for CC, and Hungering Arrow (Piercing) for general shots.

Vault (tumble) + Caltrops (slow 80%) to avoid attacks, with Companion (Bat) for Hatred Regen.

Should I be sticking in elemental arrow in here? Or SS? I have a love/hate with Vault and its delay, but it is incredibly useful, and helps me avoid attacks amazingly well.

I have a lot of DPS, but I was wondering if I should be focusing on High Res/Vit items to help me advance further in inferno, and I get killed easily by any fast past of critters (Savengers, Soul Lashers, Sand Leapers, etc.). Any thoughts?

Quite a few but I'll keep it short: The first thing you might want to do being the 'glass cannon' build is change up your skills. SS and Prep would be much better than vault and your bat.

Act 2 in general is rough to progress in early because traps don't do much for wide open spaces. Might consider something else (keeping vault?) until you get to a confined area where mobs are forced to hit your traps.

Unicorn

Question for wizards:

Is attack speed on weapon important or should i go for highest possible DPS even if it's on slow weapon ?
Depends on your build. Beams are a bust as it drains your arcane dry. I've been beefing IAS for my Spectral Blades and Blizzard spams. Pretty effective into Act 3 Hell so far. Sometimes I need to switch to Magic Missile for distance.

But yeah, IAS is no bueno on mana draining skills, imo

Did anyone have any issues getting a refund from Blizzard?
I just submitted a ticket asking for one because of constant severe latency. I can't play this game at all. I waited a few weeks hoping these issues will be resolved by they weren't yet and I can't play this game.
I died so many times because of lag issues it's not even funny. The game is really unplayable (I run from a mob, the server doesn't register that and a few seconds later I see that I died).

My PC is way above the requirements and my internet connection was fast enough when I played WoW for a few years (and I don't have issues in other games as well).

You should be able to, though I don't know if there's a time limit from launch or purchase, I imagine there is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom