• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revoh

I've been farming gold the last couple days and so far have made 3.5 million.
I'm looking to buy a Stormshield for my barb.
What are the stats I should look forward before wasting my hard-earned money?
All-res, high block %, and that's it, right?

scy

Yup. Still waiting for my 2 mil Inna's Glory to get fixed haha. But when they do fix it they'll be awesome (max attack speed and 2 sockets for nice dex)!

I want to buy a good INT/VIT pair now and wait for them to be useful but I also still fear that they won't get retroactively fixed despite Blizzard claiming they will. At the same time, I don't think my Wizard really needs any upgrades... :/

Mitama

Yup, that's about it. High-end would be +% life and extra armor, but that's worth like over 10 mil easily. With 3.5m you can still get some nice rolls though, if you are lucky.

scy

It's actually very useful with my Shadow Power build. I stand and tank in many cases, including act III (although I still can't tank soul ripper champions).

One day, I'll find a Reflect Damage pack and it won't cause me to kite -> TP to heal -> kite endlessly.

One day.

Edit: Also, you find it useful but most don't, unfortunately. The game teases me with every ~900 DPS Bow drop I've gotten to have 300+ LoH. So cruel :( I can't even sell LoH as a premium yet! Your build needs to take off so I can make better money.

After telling my friend, who is a huge Diablo fan and partook in the beta non the less, several times in the last week, "use the authenticator" he tells me today he got hacked, everyting gone. Seriously, what the fuck? I think I told him no less that five different times. Zero pity for him. He knew well in advance and was just down right lazy.

Obligatory PSA: authenticate or regret it

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Anyone else enjoying the asian shitstorm on the official forums? Them chinese folks is raging.

J0dy77

I really don't want to quit my Monk at this point (Inferno Act 2). I know it is just a gear check that is holding me back but I can't seem to find the right upgrades on the AH. Everything I'm looking at for millions of gold is a small upgrade with trade offs. I'm looking for suggestions on stats and gear slots.

My rings and amulet seem to be the best spots for me to upgrade right away. Can someone recommend the best stats for these slots? Should I focus on IAS or LPH or perhaps all resist? Are there any legendary items that are worth price at this time?

Another question with Life per hit and weapons. If one of my weapons has LPH on it, does it make a difference which hand holds it? I'd like to keep the lower dmg weapon in the off hand. I'm assuming since LPH is on armor it shouldn't make a difference.

scy

Another question with Life per hit and weapons. If one of my weapons has LPH on it, does it make a difference which hand holds it? I'd like to keep the lower dmg weapon in the off hand. I'm assuming since LPH is on armor it shouldn't make a difference.

Life on Hit is a globally tracked stat so any on your MH or OH counts towards the total. It's what makes Dual Wield Monk a lot more viable than I originally gave it credit for.

As for rest of the slots, IAS% with Life on Hit with stats and resists is ideal but since I imagine you're not wanting to spend more gold than you'll ever have, I'd settle for 10%+ IAS% or Life on Hit that's around ~20% or greater than your current Life on Hit (e.g., if you have 600, aim for +120 minimum). And, of course, DEX/VIT/Resists as you can afford them.

I've put my Monk on hold so I can bid snipe awesome deals / farm good drops. So far, I haven't gotten that lucky but I'll keep trying, damn it. I want to get her to ~5000 Armor/500 Resists with >70% buffed Dodge (~1500 DEX). Should be interesting to see how it works out.

Xanathus

:lol. I found Quality Well in Old Tristram way back.

Great that we can kill them for the stuff we are going through sometimes.

I was actually farming for it, the chances of actually stumbling on it by accident are lottery-level low.

Anyone else enjoying the asian shitstorm on the official forums? Them chinese folks is raging.
What's this about?
edit: oh apparently Asian server is down even though status shows it's up, lol blizz

Kacho

I really don't want to quit my Monk at this point (Inferno Act 2). I know it is just a gear check that is holding me back but I can't seem to find the right upgrades on the AH. Everything I'm looking at for millions of gold is a small upgrade with trade offs. I'm looking for suggestions on stats and gear slots.

My rings and amulet seem to be the best spots for me to upgrade right away. Can someone recommend the best stats for these slots? Should I focus on IAS or LPH or perhaps all resist? Are there any legendary items that are worth price at this time?

I gave up on my WD yesterday in Act 2. I can't find any upgrades at a decent price that don't majorly sacrifice my measly 17k dmg. I've hit a wall and don't really feel like working my way past it.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I was actually farming for it, the chances of actually stumbling on it by accident are lottery-level low.

What's this about?
edit: oh apparently Asian server is down even though status shows it's up, lol blizz

From what I can gather, it has something to do with Chinese people being unable to play on Korean servers?

scy

I gave up on my WD yesterday in Act 2. I can't find any upgrades at a decent price that don't majorly sacrifice my measly 17k dmg. I've hit a wall and don't really feel like working my way past it.

Blue +INT/+Attack Speed Rings/Amulets and a cheap IAS% Weapon are, well, cheap. Even +Movement stuff like Unity and Hammer Jammers aren't so bad. +25% Movement and ~2.3+ Attacks per Second should let you do the Darts/Grasp/Wall build and kite your way to success.

Lanbeast

If you gave up on a WD don't even start a Barb or Monk.

Has there been any kind of official comment on whether or not you're supposed to be able to get through inferno without using the AH?

I'm on Act II of inferno with my barbarian but I'm farming Act I because my gear isn't ready for II. The problem is, after hours of farming I'm still finding pretty crappy gear. My friends and I made a gentlemans pact to not buy from the AH, though, so we're kind of stuck.

edit: For example, after killing the Butcher with 5 stacks of Neph. for a total of 203% magic find, he dropped two rares. One rare was a 1h sword with 160 dps. The other was a 1h axe with 174 dps.

Amneisac

Is there a good site for information on builds, etc.? I'm just working my way through Act I Inferno with my DH and I've got some ideas about how to stack stats, but there's a lot of conflicting information out there and I'd like to find the best resources I can.

Amneisac

Has there been any kind of official comment on whether or not you're supposed to be able to get through inferno without using the AH?

I'm on Act II of inferno with my barbarian but I'm farming Act I because my gear isn't ready for II. The problem is, after hours of farming I'm still finding pretty crappy gear. My friends and I made a gentlemans pact to not buy from the AH, though, so we're kind of stuck.

The problem is that the random nature of stats on gear means you're just wasting your time trying to find the exact right stats you want. Don't think of the AH as BUYING things, think of it as trading. You're putting up the gear that you don't need and getting money to buy the gear you do need. I mean, I understand why you'd avoid it (especially the RMAH), but just buying equipment with the right stats is going to greatly improve your inferno experience.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
My new monk spec is pretty viable - I kill substantially faster in act II - and my 850 LOH (plus 3% life leech, whatever that's nerfed to) keeps me alive.

However, my gear has sort of fallen around high crit, and I would love more attack speed... but... I don't want to give up my 20% crit with 195% bonus! I'll just have to find gear that has -both- from now on. Scary.

Opiate

I believe I'm done with all the static goldsinks in the game. I've got my inferno whimsyshire staff; level 10 blacksmith; level 10 jewelcrafter; full 3 pages of stash. Are there any other one time purchases to be made?

mr. puppy

Banned
i finally beat normal mode with a lvl 33 barb, is it worth it for me to try to go all the way through with this character to inferno, or should i use the gold i've built up and equipment of collected to make a really good ranged character?

scy

Pretty much every HC player is farming only or at least AHing gear that they could have acquired with their current progress (i.e., no future Act gear). It's not impossible to do it without the AH. It's just slower. And that's the problem, it seems, for most people; they don't want to be farming for a week+ just to make progress.

Edit: I've killed Inferno Siegebreaker with 260% MF about 20 times the last few days. I've come out of it with I think 1 >1000 DPS Weapon (a 2Her, so it's worthless). I actually made more money selling drops I got from Act 3 Nightmare due to some absurdly good Rings/Amulets I found. Random is random, farming is farming, etc.

My new monk spec is pretty viable - I kill substantially faster in act II - and my 850 LOH (plus 3% life leech, whatever that's nerfed to) keeps me alive.

0.6%. It's meant to scale with Damage as Damage gets obscenely high but Life on Hit just outpaces it immensely for pretty much all values of Life Steal%.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
0.6%. It's meant to scale with Damage as Damage gets obscenely high but Life on Hit just outpaces it immensely for pretty much all values of Life Steal%.

That makes sense with glass cannons with like, 50k DPS, but I do like 18k with all my buffs popped

Lanbeast

Pretty much every HC player is farming only or at least AHing gear that they could have acquired with their current progress (i.e., no future Act gear). It's not impossible to do it without the AH. It's just slower. And that's the problem, it seems, for most people; they don't want to be farming for a week+ just to make progress.

That's sort of why I asked. We don't mind the farming and we're still having a lot of fun playing and trying to progress. It's just that there is no sign of progress at times. It's not like we're getting a piece that is a little tiny bit better every now and then. We're getting one okay drop once a night, and about 150 pieces of shit.

Gonna keep grinding, it would just be nice to have some sign of playing Act I being worthwhile.

Opiate

That's sort of why I asked. We don't mind the farming and we're still having a lot of fun playing and trying to progress. It's just that there is no sign of progress at times. It's not like we're getting a piece that is a little tiny bit better every now and then. We're getting one okay drop once a night, and about 150 pieces of shit.

Gonna keep grinding, it would just be nice to have some sign of playing Act I being worthwhile.

Blizzard originally expected Inferno to take 3-6 months to beat. I think that's actually a realistic target if you aren't using the AH.

That's too long for some people, but many people seemed perfectly happy farming Baal for months on end with no obvious purpose other than to be farm Baal even faster; at least now there is an actual progressive purpose to farming for months. At least, that's my perspective.

scy

That makes sense with glass cannons with like, 50k DPS, but I do like 18k with all my buffs popped

Yup. Really feels like they went overboard with it. They didn't even need to really hit it that hard, honestly (3% @ 15k DPS = 450 LPS which is the same as +300 Life on Hit at 1.5 APS). All it really did was reduce the effectiveness of the skills with it everywhere (Shadow Power + Nether Tentacles, though it's still damn good) and made Life on Hit the stat everyone wants.

Just seems weird.

That's my issue with melee progression. It takes awhile for that initial bar (since you need good tank-y stats and then good DPS stats simultaneously) which makes the progress feel so bad compared to ranged classes.

suffah

Does maths and stuff

edit: For example, after killing the Butcher with 5 stacks of Neph. for a total of 203% magic find, he dropped two rares. One rare was a 1h sword with 160 dps. The other was a 1h axe with 174 dps.

Are you at least selling on the AH? Hope you guys have a nice stash saved if nothing else.

Lanbeast

Are you at least selling on the AH? Hope you guys have a nice stash saved if nothing else.

Yeah, we just recently started selling a few things out of frustration. Our initial goal was to completely ignore it, but when we weren't finding anything good from killing guys, we figured we'd at least make some gold off what we WERE finding and try to craft some stuff.

maharg

idspispopd
Blizzard originally expected Inferno to take 3-6 months to beat. I think that's actually a realistic target if you aren't using the AH.

That's too long for some people, but many people seemed perfectly happy farming Baal for months on end with no obvious purpose other than to be farm Baal even faster; at least now there is an actual progressive purpose to farming for months. At least, that's my perspective.

Pretty sure the first people to beat inferno were doing it without much benefit from the AH. Of course they were gaming it in general, but I'd be shocked if you couldn't still do the death leapfrogging to clear it.

Zaptruder

Banned
Loving the hell out of my tank-wiz build. Going from getting creamed all over act 4 hell to creaming everything in act 1 nightmare.

I'm sure it'll change, but with about 200k worth of AH gear, I've got pretty decent stats - 22k DPS, 22k HP, ~400 Res to all and 6000 armor (60% damage mitigation).

Coupled with mirror image and teleport/fracture, I feel much beefier and not that much less powerful than when I was running a glass cannon build.

Also gear is much cheaper than the currently much more popular glass cannon/dps build for wiz.

Anyone else tried tank-wiz in Act 2 nightmare? how well does it work there?

Opiate

Pretty sure the first people to beat inferno were doing it without much benefit from the AH. Of course they were gaming it in general, but I'd be shocked if you couldn't still do the death leapfrogging to clear it.

Right, I should say 3-6 months without AH and exploits/cheese.

Achtius

Loving the hell out of my tank-wiz build. Going from getting creamed all over act 4 hell to creaming everything in act 1 nightmare.

I'm sure it'll change, but with about 200k worth of AH gear, I've got pretty decent stats - 22k DPS, 22k HP, ~400 Res to all and 6000 armor (60% damage mitigation).

Coupled with mirror image and teleport/fracture, I feel much beefier and not that much less powerful than when I was running a glass cannon build.

Also gear is much cheaper than the currently much more popular glass cannon/dps build for wiz.

Anyone else tried tank-wiz in Act 2 nightmare? how well does it work there?

It still awesome in act 1 inferno :p

Act 2...if it is not rare mobs i am okay.

scy

This is why I want a ladder reset of some kind once the dust settles. The HC economy is functional and the progression is a lot closer to expectations, though I imagine some of it is just due to trying to overgear due to the whole death thing.

What sped up the clears we did have were a lot of cheesier things which, in turn, caused a lot of gear to trickle down that "shouldn't" have been around. Now we have a lot of people at the end of Inferno and gearing up via drops just doesn't compare as well to the AH for return on time invested. I mean, I'm selling 1k+ DPS 2Hers for like 200k because nobody cares about them at Act 3+ but, hey, late Hell/early Inferno might.

Lain

I forgot to say, I got a plan to make a Staff of Herding in act 4 yesterday (don't know if that's luck or if it's an easy drop). I'm guessing it's to unlock the secret level. I was wondering how tough it is to get the rest of the stuff (apart from the bell, which I saw in act for 100k, and the shroom which I already have).

scy

I forgot to say, I got a plan to make a Staff of Herding in act 4 yesterday (don't know if that's luck or if it's an easy drop). I'm guessing it's to unlock the secret level. I was wondering how tough it is to get the rest of the stuff (apart from the bell, which I saw in act for 100k, and the shroom which I already have).

They're all pretty random so it's just run the same area over and over. The Act 2 and Act 3 drops are pretty bad if only due to the dungeon runs needed but they're tolerable; Act 3 is the worst, in my opinion, due to the random location of the cave, random spawn of it period, and then the random spawn of the named you're looking for :/

Parts you're missing are:
Leoric's Shinbone (Act 1, Leoric's Manor Fireplace), Liquid Rainbow (Act 2, Mysterious Cave, Dalghur Oasis), and Gibbering Gemstone (Act 3, Caverns of Frost, Fields of Slaughter)

How can you tell if its better to like use a 1h and source or book vs a 2h on a wizard?

(Weapon Minimum + Source Minimum)-(Weapon Maximum + Source Maximum) to get the effective damage range of the 1H/Source combination. Then you can just compare that to the 2Her. Faster weapons have a greater benefit from a source as far as DPS is concerned but how much you need that faster weapon depends on your build.

Edit: +INT on the Source also helps.

SUPARSTARX

I had one i bought for 3.9 mill but sold it back it out for like 4.4 mill.

The primary stat you want is at least 28 percent block chance and higher. Double stacked strength stat doesn't hurt either. Storm Shields is special for the high block percentage. With justice lantern you can hit over 40 percent block chance alone. 50ish with a very good helm of command.

Blocking 50/50 would be boss as fuck

Best random properties for storm Shields:
Life %
Extra vitality
Extra strength
Extra armor

These are usually around ten million and up. I'd suggest getting something closer in stat but cheaper. I found a good act 4 field in the ah for a mill. 69 resist to all, 97 vit, 1.1k armor, up to 4.7k absorb and a whooping 12k extra health globe bonus.

Lain

They're all pretty random so it's just run the same area over and over. The Act 2 and Act 3 drops are pretty bad if only due to the dungeon runs needed but they're tolerable; Act 3 is the worst, in my opinion, due to the random location of the cave, random spawn of it period, and then the random spawn of the named you're looking for :/

Parts you're missing are:
Leoric's Shinbone (Act 1, Leoric's Manor Fireplace), Liquid Rainbow (Act 2, Mysterious Cave, Dalghur Oasis), and Gibbering Gemstone (Act 3, Caverns of Frost, Fields of Slaughter)

I'll start looking for them/farming later today then and hope for the best. Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

I think I'm quitting this game until they fix some stuff. No use to farm for hours and hours just to be able to buy that one piece of armor that only gives your character a major upgrade.

I'm in Inferno Act II with a barb and a DH.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Yeah, we just recently started selling a few things out of frustration. Our initial goal was to completely ignore it, but when we weren't finding anything good from killing guys, we figured we'd at least make some gold off what we WERE finding and try to craft some stuff.

Has anyone here ever crafted anything worthwhile from the blacksmith? Everything I've tried to make has not been an improvement.

TheExodu5

Banned

I actually like the difficulty curve in general, what I dislike is:

1) Being able to just throw myself at a champion pack and die a dozen times to whittle it down. How long does it take to hit an enrage timer? I haven't hit one yet.

2) The loot is just not very exciting. I want unique with unique properties.

3) I can progress much faster by just gaming the AH than I can by farming...not sure if Blizzard can really do anything about this one without throwing out the difficulty curve, though.

4) Act 4 gear = Act 3 gear > Act 2 gear > Act 1 gear. This was not the case in D2. In D2, you could farm Andariel or even NM Baal and get viable end-game loot (Shako, SoJ, HoZ, etc...). In Diablo 3, there is literally no reason to ever play Act 1 if you can farm Act 3. Act 3 loot is mathematically better than Act 1 loot, and that's that.

maharg

idspispopd
What on earth is the deal with the boat paddle sword with flavour text, anyways? So weird. There are auctions for it on the AH up to like 1.5 million gold too. Though I suppose that might just be people setting stupid floors (AH should show that differently).

scy

I think I'm quitting this game until they fix some stuff. No use to farm for hours and hours just to be able to buy that one piece of armor that only gives your character a major upgrade.

I'm in Inferno Act II with a barb and a DH.

Not singling you out on this but I'm curious ... what were people expecting? I mean, I like the farming progression to get from Act to Act (though, it's broken a bit due to the cheese and exploits around launch) rather than just farming at Act 4 Inferno for better loot for the sake of better loot. Did people just want to get through Inferno and farm status it immediately?

There's some things that should be redone (Monks and Barbs should offload more of their gearing woes to skills), yes, but I really don't think it's all that broken. But, again, I'm one of the crazy few, I guess.

I actually like the difficulty curve in general, what I dislike is:

1) Being able to just throw myself at a champion pack and die a dozen times to whittle it down. How long does it take to hit an enrage timer? I haven't hit one yet.

I think it's four minutes of constantly engaged with it. It resets very quickly, though.

3) I can progress much faster by just gaming the AH than I can by farming...not sure if Blizzard can really do anything about this one without throwing out the difficulty curve, though.

My one gripe with this, which ties in with your next point a bit, is that you can just buy gear you can't get anyway. For the AH, they really needed BoE to remove items from circulation and some kind of limit on equipment (e.g., "Requires Inferno Act 2" for Act 2 equipment) as well as preventing players from skipping content in Inferno.

4) Act 4 gear = Act 3 gear > Act 2 gear > Act 1 gear. This was not the case in D2. In D2, you could farm Andariel or even NM Baal and get viable end-game loot (Shako, SoJ, HoZ, etc...). In Diablo 3, there is literally no reason to ever play Act 1 if you can farm Act 3. Act 3 loot is mathematically better than Act 1 loot, and that's that.

Yeah, it's a bit annoying that my hopes for farming Act 1 Inferno, which I find to be my most enjoyable farm circuits, to be relatively worthless outside of the few decent Uniques/Sets and Rings/Amulets. It'd be nice if at least Act 1 Inferno farms to gear for Act 2 Inferno could get you items that were universally good rather than just "good until Act 3+."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom