• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Whenever I see solutions to people's problems in D3, it's always looks so grimy.

*Smash some pots for gold, do it 100 times -> Go to AH and buy gear
*Flip your equipment for profit on AH and get better gear for it. Rinse and repeat until you can beat the Act
*Get a way point to some future act using either the Public game exploit and buy a way point from someone else
*Keep reloading a waypoint for Goblin spawns. Call guys on Skype to raid the Goblin for treasure. Repeat all day long.
*Do a Butcher run starting before the prison/Jailer area (Probably the best advice as it's the only legit thing you can do in the game that actually has decent profit)

Also in regards to #2, I have been having more difficulty recently flipping equipment for profit. The prices for everything except the top of the line has dropped dramatically as more gear is made available. Something that was 50K a week ago is barely 20K now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe if I was talking about not being able to get the best gear in the game you would have a point, but it seems you may have missed it. I was talking about not even being able to upgrade below average gear to just average without paying exorbitant prices, which just isn't worth it. Your snide remark is completely ignorant, excuse my assumption but you are probably one of the guys who plays all day every day and can afford the millions it takes to have good gear and scoff at those who don't. If you aren't then that's fine, but that's how you are coming off.

Bullshit.

You can upgrade to average gear that will allow you to make headway into Act 2 at 100k - 600k per item. As time goes on, this will only become easier since the "not amazing but good" items are only going to keep getting cheaper as more enter the market.

Just keep playing until you have at least 300k, then go check the auction house. If you can't find an upgrade, come back at every 100k interval or whenever you find an item you want to sell. You will find upgrades that will allow you to make progress.

Also, reconsider which skills you are using and consider making sacrifices in DPS to get more defense, or vice versa. Being too heavily skewed in either defense or offense is pointless, especially in solo play.

Wool

Opiate, you might have someone else to use your build!

As far as I know for multi-target attacks, the game splits your Life on Hit across the hits so it averages back out to a regular attack. I'm not entirely certain on how all attacks are treated, though. Hell, that might just be Life Steal% that functions that way.

That makes sense for multishot, but how would one of those continuous attacks like rain of vengeance work with life on hit? Does it just take your APS*LoH*(Duration of the attack)? I'm specifically looking at that dark cloud rune because the damage doesn't look very good, but it doesn't use any hatred and hits a lot of enemies for a long period of time.

Torraz

What class are you? I don't believe that any class is too weak to solo The Butcher. Just make sure you have over 15k DPS or so with Life on Hit, which isn't hard to get at all. He's actually really easy once you figure out his attack patterns.

Also, are you sure you're not getting anything sellable on the AH? Obviously coming across things that are worth 300k+ is rare, but if you price things competitively, you can make some decent cash, and that's not even counting all of the gold you pick up running through Act 1.

I'm a monk. I have around 430 life on hit I think. around 375 (with healing mantra +20% rune) all resist and around 9k (buffable to around 11k long term and 14kish with short term (blind)) dps and 34k hp.

I have around 600k in gold.

I'm sure that's a big part. I remember doing runs over and over again. I don't have the same drive/time to do it. I look back fondly on those memories.. but I know i was a different person back then.

As for act IV, if you need any tips just ask.

alright cool, if I need any advice I'll let you know. Sorry about the remark earlier, too much frustration from this game.

Bullshit.

You can upgrade to average gear that will allow you to make headway into Act 2 at 100k - 600k per item. As time goes on, this will only become easier since the "not amazing but good" items are only going to keep getting cheaper as more enter the market.

Just keep playing until you have at least 300k, then go check the auction house. If you can't find an upgrade, come back at every 100k interval or whenever you find an item you want to sell. You will find upgrades that will allow you to make progress.

Also, reconsider which skills you are using and consider making sacrifices in DPS to get more defense, or vice versa. Being too heavily skewed in either defense or offense is pointless, especially in solo play.

I still feel my point is valid, maybe our definitions of average gear are different. Regardless, I have made headway into the end of act 2, but its getting old fast due to invisible snakes, impossible elite affix combinations, etc. I die a ton, and I'm using a ton of defensive abilities. And I agree about not wanting to be too heavily skewed one way or the other, but as a DH has anyone tried a more defensive route? With all resist, life on hit, vit, all that jazz? It seems even with all of that, DH's would die too quickly.

rCIZZLE

That's my point exactly? At this point, I'm not sure what you're arguing with me about: Bots are bad, and they are fucking up the economy. This is a bigger deal now than in past games because the economy is so intrinsically linked to progression.

However, bots existed due to D2JSP (by definition), and for blizzard to design around D2JSP, but not account for bots breaking the economy, well, that's poor design.

Bots exist due to people willing to pay for virtual stuff. D2jsp hasn't been a botting website in many years now. If they designed around d2jsp they'd use their forum gold model, not what they're currently doing. As someone brought up earlier, much of the gold being dumped is from gold runs or people afking at certain spots. Bots will hurt much more later on when people start 24/7 act 4 inferno to find the GFG gear.

I'm a monk. I have around 430 life on hit I think. around 375 (with healing mantra +20% rune) all resist and around 9k (buffable to around 11k long term and 14kish with short term (blind)) dps and 34k hp.

You should be able to do it. The key is keeping the butcher in the same place for as long as possible. If you don't have to run around like a chicken the fight gets way easier since you can just straight push DPS.

1) Consider using a Mystic Ally, it's constant DPS in this fight. Same with sweeping wind. Both are pretty good versus the elite trash you want to get through to get NV stacks before him anyway (and you do want 5NV stacks,
2) Serenity+Heal, Breath+DPS buff, blind+DPS buff.
3) Fight the butcher at the top of the room on the edge of two of the grate platings, so if one starts to burn you can jump over to the one not burning. If both are burning you might have to move to the other side of the top of the room. When the Butcher charges, pop Serenity and just let him hit the wall. Either way you are slamming huge DPS uptime in this fight like this. If you get to half health blind before a swing animation.

I killed the butcher for the first time in Inferno with 7k dps and way worse resists this way. Again, the key is placement and not letting the fight get out of control. Eat his regular damage/heal through it and swap grates around the fires. Once you get better geared you can run Mantra of Conviction+Overawe and almost half the time of the entire run.

You're definitely close to what you need, with my stats I can solo Butcher with ease on Inferno. The only time I ever die is if he pulls me into fire then slams me too.

vAYvh.jpg

Edit: Here's the skills I use.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#ahgTXi!YXU!acYYYZ

Amakusa

Farming, farming, farming, farming.... x5 stacks, kill butcher, rinse and repeat. I got a 700+ dps 1h last night <( ^-^)>

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Speaking strictly in terms of Act 1, you really don't need that much HP. You could easily get by with even 10k less.

If you can sacrifice any vitality gear for additional DPS you probably should.

Better to kill twice as fast than it is to simply survive 30% longer unless you're getting one-shot by something.

Won

Man, I want a patch. Farming Act 4 feels dumb with Izual not dropping boss loot. :(

I still feel my point is valid, maybe our definitions of average gear are different. Regardless, I have made headway into the end of act 2, but its getting old fast due to invisible snakes, impossible elite affix combinations, etc. I die a ton, and I'm using a ton of defensive abilities. And I agree about not wanting to be too heavily skewed one way or the other, but as a DH has anyone tried a more defensive route? With all resist, life on hit, vit, all that jazz? It seems even with all of that, DH's would die too quickly.

For me having well rounded gear works pretty great I guess. Stuff that you are supposed to dodge will still instantly kill you though most of the time.

Ferrio

Banned

Ya it's pretty useless. Pretty much for DH their defense is getting their discipline to 50.

Artanisix

Wow the botting is out of control already. Lots of people botting through Royal Crypts and making roughly 10 million a day doing nothing.

I have no idea how Blizz is going to fix this.

Thrakier

Because they don't drop in D3.

It's true isn't it? I kinda lost interest from one day to another in this game. Yesterday I was all other inferno, today I feel more like "why doing the same shit over and over again for almost nothing instead of playing through your massive backlog. You got your moneys worth anyway."

I'll come back to it though I guess. It's strangely addiciting but starting inferno, the frustrating aspects take over and thanks to the RMAH Blizz really saw the need to bring down that drop rate.

Some of the fights can be so fun if the mods are right. Just beat a pack of those meteor summoning teleporting guys with Horde Arcane Electrified.

I dread starting Inferno.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm really sorry guys...

eek5

Wow the botting is out of control already. Lots of people botting through Royal Crypts and making roughly 10 million a day doing nothing.

I have no idea how Blizz is going to fix this.

The combination of this and the AH bot is pretty much ruining the game for me. The economy is so fucked right now.

Deadly

The combination of this and the AH bot is pretty much ruining the game for me. The economy is so fucked right now.
What's the AH bot?

I bet detecting bots for them is shit easy. They jsut need to get on it already. Somebody better address this issue on the AMAA and it better not be one of the questions he avoids.

Wallach

It's getting fucked before the RMAH has even been to bat. I was hardly playing as it was with how shitty Inferno is balanced and now even the trading side is getting blown up.

eek5

What's the AH bot?

I bet detecting bots for them is shit easy. They jsut need to get on it already. Somebody better address this issue on the AMAA and it better not be one of the questions he avoids.

Basically searches multiple items for certain stuff (or just corners a legendary market), buys everything out under a certain price and relists it for higher.

It's mostly dominating weapons but I've seen it work its magic in legendaries such as Justice Lantern (went from 100k to 2+ mil, string of ears 100k to 800+k). Saw some guy bragging with a full stash of AH items after 20 hrs of botting.. etc.

Cipherr

They need to tack some of those affixes they give elites onto weapons in a less potent form. A bow that has a chance to erect a desecration pool that damages all enemies in it? Yes please. Melee weapons for the monk that slam up walls that NPCs have to walk around, but that players can walk through would be amazing.

Wait, does that mean you have LESS NV when you play in a group? So they basically force you to play alone?

How stupid is that?

No.. NV is like super mf. Even if you have 5 stacks and a friend joins you with no stacks you'll still get the 2 rares from a boss kill and a bunch of blues. I guess more mf would give you a better chance to get more rares, which is the only thing affected by having more people.

Ferrio

Banned
My friend's response when I asked him where he got the bot. The bot costs ~$40 dollars....

"Hah yea I paid for it, I was originally thinking about buying gold cause I was sick of farming inferno, then I decided why pay for it when I can buy a bot and make as much as I want. Then I saw people selling gold for stupid amounts of money and decided I wanted to do that instead of progress through inferno hah"

Then asked him about how he was selling gold

"(site removed) Though the best way is to find people yourself, there are some forums, sythe.com I haven't tried yet, where you can make more. I have 3 accounts botting 24/7 lol. The price of gold is dropping fast though and might be nothing here in a week when the real money auction house goes live."

One point I really hate that he's doing this. On the other hand, it's hard to fault him when he's making that much money.

Cagey

Banned
My friend's response when I asked him where he got the bot. The bot costs ~$40 dollars....

"Hah yea I paid for it, I was originally thinking about buying gold cause I was sick of farming inferno, then I decided why pay for it when I can buy a bot and make as much as I want. Then I saw people selling gold for stupid amounts of money and decided I wanted to do that instead of progress through inferno hah"

Then asked him about how he was selling gold

"(site removed) Though the best way is to find people yourself, there are some forums, sythe.com I haven't tried yet, where you can make more. I have 3 accounts botting 24/7 lol. The price of gold is dropping fast though and might be nothing here in a week when the real money auction house goes live."

One point I really hate that he's doing this. On the other hand, it's hard to fault him when he's making that much money.

After the first week, my friend and I made good profits off of searching for bargains on rare items in the AH. Items with all res 50+, amulets with 150 int/dex, gloves with 15 ias and dex or int + vit were being sold at ridiculously low prices (sub 30K). We manually snatched them up and resold for big money. The biggest flip I made was a 30K amulet that went near 2m on resale.

Another friend saw this, spent one all-nighter writing a bot, and our strategy has been irrelevant for a week and a half now because he runs a bot that dried up our ability to find steals. And that's for a very specific niche in the AH, let alone the capital necessary to buyout legendaries wholesale.

Ferrio

Banned
After the first week, my friend and I made good profits off of searching for bargains on rare items in the AH. Items with all res 50+, amulets with 150 int/dex, gloves with 15 ias and dex or int + vit were being sold at ridiculously low prices (sub 30K). We manually snatched them up and resold for big money. The biggest flip I made was a 30K amulet that went near 2m on resale.

Another friend saw this, spent one all-nighter writing a bot, and our strategy has been irrelevant for a week and a half now because he runs a bot that dried up our ability to find steals. And that's for a very specific niche in the AH, let alone the capital necessary to buyout legendaries wholesale.

His bots is more farming ACT III.

Guess the bot comes with a map hack too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You're definitely close to what you need, with my stats I can solo Butcher with ease on Inferno. The only time I ever die is if he pulls me into fire then slams me too.

If you're just farming Act 1, you really don't need to have so much HP.

I murder-face the Butcher on my Barbarian with a 2-hander. With always-on buffs I have around 35k DPS. My resists are around 300-400 now with buffs, and I have something like 6000 armor. My HP is only around 23k, though, and I also have next to no dodge %.

It's not until Act II that you really need to start caring about using a high block % (and high block amount) shield, etc.

Torraz

Speaking strictly in terms of Act 1, you really don't need that much HP. You could easily get by with even 10k less.

If you can sacrifice any vitality gear for additional DPS you probably should.

Better to kill twice as fast than it is to simply survive 30% longer unless you're getting one-shot by something.

Alright thanks for the feedback. It's getting late where I live so I will have to try again tomorrow. To tell the truth I haven't even tried butcher solo because I get demolished by every single blue/rare (except for those with the very easiest combinations) and I'm not sure if killing butcher is worth it without 5/5 NV. Without NV i have pretty much no mf/gf.

I do fine (even in full mf gear) up until the "opening the northwest gates" part. I can clear dank and dark (unless nasty rare is inside), the cathedral garden etc more than fine.

Rufus

Make a new crafter like the BS/Jewelcrafter to sink more gold in to. Any or all of these would help, and aren't especially complex to implement.
At some point there was a Mystic that enchanted gear, afaik. Each act has a conspicuously empty area where they would fit, too. Don't think we'll see them return before the first expansion though.

Mairu

inb4 took 20 mil gear worth of stuff to do it

Only 20 million? Maybe I should switch to 2h.

Reading about the ah/gold bots makes it pretty discouraging to proceed in the game. You can tell me to ignore it, but the way it affects the economy makes it difficult to ignore considering I can't really progress well on my own without the AH.

isny

napkin dispenser
Just going to crosspost with the other thread to get more exposure =D I recently upgraded my weapon and have the following for sale.

qkic5.jpg

If you're just farming Act 1, you really don't need to have so much HP.

I murder-face the Butcher on my Barbarian with a 2-hander. With always-on buffs I have around 35k DPS. My resists are around 300-400 now with buffs, and I have something like 6000 armor. My HP is only around 23k, though, and I also have next to no dodge %.

It's not until Act II that you really need to start caring about using a high block % (and high block amount) shield, etc.

I don't need that high of health for the Butcher. I do for some Elite spawns though. It's more of a safety net. Death while farming is just wasting time.

Amulet/ring prices are outrageous right now. I mean, just about everything is outrageously priced, but rings and amulets are especially outrageous. I'm outraged.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Alright thanks for the feedback. It's getting late where I live so I will have to try again tomorrow. To tell the truth I haven't even tried butcher solo because I get demolished by every single blue/rare (except for those with the very easiest combinations) and I'm not sure if killing butcher is worth it without 5/5 NV. Without NV i have pretty much no mf/gf.

I do fine (even in full mf gear) up until the "opening the northwest gates" part. I can clear dank and dark (unless nasty rare is inside), the cathedral garden etc more than fine.

I don't know what kind of mobility/ranged attack options Monks have, but I find that it's easy (if not a bit more time consuming) to just kite certain elite packs with my Barbarian. With the short-term run speed buff we get, I can often force packs to chase me and split them up by running through tricky environments to get one of them solo even if for only a few seconds.

The only pack I find just not even worthwhile are combinations with "Fast" and "Invulnerable Minions" in them. I don't even attempt those, but luckily they don't come around all that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom