• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

The botters have enough gold to actually corner the high end market for some stuff if they wanted to (and drive up prices). Whether or not they are doing that, who knows. Inflation is incredibly rampant right now though, to the point that I don't think botting is a small problem at all. I'd say it's already an enormous problem.

How are we actually judging inflation here? I have a feeling prices are going up but fewer people are buying.

codecow

I am starting to contemplate quitting this one. I am having trouble downing Belial in Act 2 Inferno. The 2nd time I fought him I made it to phase 3 with my normal gear and build and died because I was unaware of his attack pattern.

Now for the life of me I am having trouble getting back to phase 3. I probably tried for a couple hours today, and when I did get there I made a mistake and blam. Very annoying, reminds me a lot of the hunter epic quest in classic WoW. I did eventually finish that but it took me maybe a calendar month to finally get lucky and down the demon in Silithus.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I don't get all the complaints about botting and that it ruins your enjoyment of the game. Is it affecting the economy? Yeah sure. But how is it ruining your game? The amount of people actually farming significant amounts of gold by botting is probably really low. And it's not like they're distributing that money freely, that money is just concentrated in their accounts and they can either sell it for real money, or buy top tier items with it which would be still limited to a small number of the population. As for AH botting, you're complaining that you can't find deals which are dependent on people screwing up and is essentially random luck anyway? If you're talking about bots monopolizing a specific item market and marking up the whole economy, then yes, but that's not the case here.

I'm not saying it's not bad, but I think people are over exaggerating the effects here.

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. When you have no money you have to farm like slave labor.

Look at the hardcore side of things. Not many or no people can farm act 3 and 4 and push that into the AH.

They spend all their time in act 1 or 2 farming goblins.

Is that supposed to be fun solo if you want to say fuck you to the bad AH economy?

All I can see is more people botting...

Sothpaw

I am starting to contemplate quitting this one. I am having trouble downing Belial in Act 2 Inferno. The 2nd time I fought him I made it to phase 3 with my normal gear and build and died because I was unaware of his attack pattern.

Now for the life of me I am having trouble getting back to phase 3. I probably tried for a couple hours today, and when I did get there I made a mistake and blam. Very annoying, reminds me a lot of the hunter epic quest in classic WoW. I did eventually finish that but it took me maybe a calendar month to finally get lucky and down the demon in Silithus.

What class? Very doable fight if you're a WD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcV8iKXgNT8

Zzoram

Inferno Belial is probably the hardest thing in the game, even worse than an Inferno elite mob since at least you might be able to run away or avoid those.

Totakeke

The rich get richer and the poor get poorer. When you have no money you have to farm like slave labor.

Look at the hardcore side of things. Not many or no people can farm act 3 and 4 and push that into the AH.

They spend all their time in act 1 or 2 farming goblins.

Is that supposed to be fun solo if you want to say fuck you to the bad AH economy?

All I can see is more people botting...

Even before botting you still had to farm like slave labor. It's only that Blizzard nerfed most of the easy farm spots that your farming is more difficult. If gold is getting devalued, then farm for items. The real issue here are Act 3-4 items being simply better than Act 1-2, and we had that issue since the beginning.

vilmer_

How are we actually judging inflation here? I have a feeling prices are going up but fewer people are buying.

d2jsp is absolutely packed with people right now at all hours with people selling fg and igg for items worth well over 20 million. Love the site, but I suspect some of them have fallen back the the old 'ways' recently.

Totakeke

d2jsp is absolutely packed with people right now at all hours with people selling fg and igg for items worth well over 20 million. Love the site, but I suspect some of them have fallen back the the old 'ways' recently.

If the people that are complaining are frequent d2jsp users then I wouldn't blame them as they really game the economy. But I have a feeling that most people that are complaining are simply redirecting their problems with the fundamental game design to botting which shouldn't affect most of the population.

scy

I sure would like it if at least Act 1 gave me gear for Act 2 as a Barbarian, and if Act 2 reliably gave gear for Act 3. But it doesn't.

Except it does. It just takes days of farming.

To me, it comes down to this.

ACT 1-2 items are worthless since people are running ACT 3-4.

Part of me is annoyed by this. The other part thinks it's necessary otherwise we'd just farm easy mode Act 1 :/

forrest

formerly nacire
I have been wondering what exactly do you have to do to unlock that waypoint? I killed Izual, but still nothing..

You have to make it through the next area past Izual and get that waypoint. It's the one that takes you to the area just before the diablo fight. Once you have that, then you wont have to fight Izual again.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Even before botting you still had to farm like slave labor. It's only that Blizzard nerfed most of the easy farm spots that your farming is more difficult. If gold is getting devalued, then farm for items. The real issue here are Act 3-4 items being simply better than Act 1-2, and we had that issue since the beginning.
Is farming act 1 or some of 2 for however long getting a bunch of vendor trash supposed to be fun just to hopefully progress? Are you supposed to be blissfully obviously that the rich are getting richer and botters are out there fixing to have a large collection of gold and BIS items to sell for the real money auction house and make real money for the effort spent in the game? This is stupid as shit.

Zzoram

In Diablo 2 getting to 99 was legitimately difficult and most people never came close. Losing experience every time you die in Hell difficulty certainly made it harder.

Totakeke

Is farming act 1 or some of 2 for however long getting a bunch of vendor trash supposed to be fun just to hopefully progress? Are you supposed to be blissfully obviously that the rich are getting richer and botters are out there fixing to have a large collection of gold and BIS items to sell for the real money auction house and make real money for the effort spent in the game? This is stupid as shit.

Like I said, this has nothing to do with botting. You're having issues with the fundamental game design. Farming act 1 and 2 when there's act 3-4 gear out there on AH feels silly yes. But just because bots now exist doesn't make that much different.

Dahbomb

I think limiting to 60 was a mistake. Should have been a higher cap with a higher curve
Agreed with this. Pretty much everyone on my friends list is LVL60 but the difference among different LVL60 is staggering sometimes (some may have over 150 hours into their character while others may have less than 50). Inferno should've had 10 more levels up to 70 so people actually got stronger while playing Inferno without getting gear or grinding too much. It would've been incremental but it would've made a difference in easing you into Inferno. Neph Valor should still be at 60.

LordCanti

Agreed with this. Pretty much everyone on my friends list is LVL60 but the difference among different LVL60 is staggering sometimes (some may have over 150 hours into their character while others may have less than 50). Inferno should've had 10 more levels up to 70 so people actually got stronger while playing Inferno without getting gear or grinding too much. It would've been incremental but it would've made a difference in easing you into Inferno. Neph Valor should still be at 60.

Loot should have been tiered by what Inferno act you were in, instead of all level 60 loot being fair game for anyone that has hit 60. Since people in Act 4 can sell items to people in Act 1, there is no reason for people in Act 1 to bother.

This completely ignores the fact that there have been never ending exploits of chests/goblins/etc since day one (not to mention EXP exploits that get people to level 60 in hours and exploits that got people into higher Inferno acts). Bots are one part of the problem, but the problem is so much larger.

Really, I say "problem", but what would anyone do with the top-tier loot anyway? Farm more loot? Why? The Act 3/4 bosses aren't that much more difficult than the hell bosses, and there is no other endgame content. PvP isn't even available.

(I'm pretty close to just selling my 10m gold for $10/m, recouping the cost of the game, and calling it good until the expansion)

DTKT

Loot should have been tiered by what Inferno act you were in, instead of all level 60 loot being fair game for anyone that has hit 60. Since people in Act 4 can sell items to people in Act 1, there is no reason for people in Act 1 to bother.

This completely ignores the fact that there have been never ending exploits of chests/goblins/etc since day one (not to mention EXP exploits that get people to level 60 in hours). Bots are one part of the problem, but the problem is so much larger.

Really, I say "problem", but what would anyone do with the top-tier loot anyway? Farm more loot? Why? The Act 3/4 bosses aren't that much more difficult than the hell bosses, and there is no other endgame content. PvP isn't even available.

(I'm pretty close to just selling my 10m gold for $10/m, recouping the cost of the game, and calling it good until the expansion)

Yep, my feeling too.

When you look at it. They utterly failed to create a compelling loot system. Quite a feat.

scy

How many days? I'm going on 6 without a single upgrade.

RNG so I can't really say. The expectation I had for Inferno was spending weeks to go from Act to Act. Which I know not everyone is really big on. That's why the AH was put in the game; unfortunately, it's not exactly working as many people want.

Tens of hours spent to get none to one upgrades when your gear can be considered on the low end of lvl 60 gear?

Yeah, that's not unreasonable.

Except that's the situation we were told up front about how Inferno was going to be. Granted, I do agree about how relatively useless Act 1 gear is (primarily just the weapons, really) but it's not the worst case of things. I do hope things get smoothed out since, yes, progression is a bit slanted right now.

DTKT

I really think the AH screwed with everyone idea of "gear progression". What it mainly does is to make gear very easy to find. It bypasses the forum trading which is obtuse and not something used by everyone.

So, as exploits are found and ACT 3 or 4 gear is found, it becomes the standard. And that's while almost everyone is still at ACT 1.

Ploid 3.0

Yep, my feeling too.

When you look at it. They utterly failed to create a compelling loot system. Quite a feat.

I keep telling the people I play the game with, "they have a awesome crap gear generator. You have to try hard to make gear this bad so often." All I did for a long time was farm. I got to the point where I don't even think the blue items on the ground are worth looking at, because I just know they are crap. I just like that the yellows make a cool identifying sound/animation. They are crap too.

Calidor

hmm IF the D3 economy works like the financial markets, all this gold botting, AH automation scripts, real money AH, d2jsp and the increment of high end items dumped into the market by more and more players arriving at Inferno stances will make the market so MUCH better than it was a week ago.

Liquidity, arbitrage, high volume of operations and a free exchange rate with no regulations/barriers will only end in a healthy market with the most rational and balanced pricing possible.

Bring it on

x3r0123

haha look at this trash that i just found

KFwn9.png

Woo-Fu

Banned
5NV, for a total of 250 MF when I killed siegebreaker and he dropped nothing but crap. When I get better loot on chest runs than I do playing the game the way the developer intended there is a problem.

BigDug13

Part of the problem for me is how easy they made "normal". In D2, I felt that the content was fairly challenging in each Act. I felt like it required a bit of skill to get through some of it. But Diablo 3 is nearly autopilot for the first playthrough. Then I have to do it all again 3 more times? Diablo 2 felt satisfying enough for me taking a class through the entire first playthrough and then changing characters and trying it again. I didn't feel like I needed to play on a second or third playthrough to experience enough challenge to feel like I was playing the game.

But Diablo 3 feels like you spend your first 30 levels in a really long tutorial.

Maybe I'm the only one who is pretty happy with the loot system so far lol? Seems some of you guys just burned through the game too quick, but I 'm looking forward to collecting more loot to gear up all my toons as the years until the xpac go by. The loot is pretty interesting to me because it seems you have a lot of options with how you go about gearing up and it can also depend on your build.

I look forward to eventually trying different things on my monk alone because of how you can stat different stats and have some of them synergize with your skills or even compensate for not having some skills. I think inferno as a gear progression difficulty is perfect because in Diablo 2 you could really get through hell with some relatively shit gear and then the incentives to further gear up were limited to PVP and farming ease (farming being pretty circular lol).

I really hope Blizzard doesn't cave and make cookie cutter legendaries like the D2 unique due to all the bitching.

maharg

idspispopd
Part of the problem for me is how easy they made "normal". In D2, I felt that the content was fairly challenging in each Act. I felt like it required a bit of skill to get through some of it. But Diablo 3 is nearly autopilot for the first playthrough. Then I have to do it all again 3 more times? Diablo 2 felt satisfying enough for me taking a class through the entire first playthrough and then changing characters and trying it again. I didn't feel like I needed to play on a second or third playthrough to experience enough challenge to feel like I was playing the game.

But Diablo 3 feels like you spend your first 30 levels in a really long tutorial.

Yeah. The boss fights, in particular, are really weak. No minions, full healing pots in the rooms, and just plain "hold down left click to win" strategy.

Duriel was perhaps a bit too hard in D2, especially for non-melee, but... I dunno, something in between would be nice. The only 'boss' that even comes close in D3 is Izual.

Yeah. The boss fights, in particular, are really weak. No minions, full healing pots in the rooms, and just plain "hold down left click to win" strategy.

Duriel was perhaps a bit too hard in D2, especially for non-melee, but... I dunno, something in between would be nice. The only 'boss' that even comes close in D3 is Izual.

I miss all the epic mob spawns you had to go through on diablo and baal in D2. They have probably two more xpacs to get better boss fights so they probably didn't want to blow their load too early. I'm expecting a badass diablo fight at the end of the 2nd xpac.

LordCanti

I miss all the epic mob spawns you had to go through on diablo and baal in D2. They have probably two more xpacs to get better boss fights so they probably didn't want to blow their load too early. I'm expecting a badass diablo fight at the end of the 2nd xpac.

That would...require some story retconning.

5NV, for a total of 250 MF when I killed siegebreaker and he dropped nothing but crap. When I get better loot on chest runs than I do playing the game the way the developer intended there is a problem.
What would you rather be doing:

Running past exciting mobs and opening awesome chests/smashing incredible barrels or Killing some stupid gigantic stinky hellspawn demon over and over with your magic fire sword.

...oh, wait. The second one sounds like more fun. Blizzard fixed a problem that didn't exist.

Is it just me or does the higher up you go in difficulty levels in Hardcore Mode, the greater number of douche know-it-all elitists you run into and 60% of them are Monks and the other 39.999% are Barbarians?

Sothpaw

I agree that I think there should only be three difficulties. That said, D2 really was autopilot on normal as well. Except for Duriel which was a massive difficulty spike that was completely inconsistent with the rest of the game.

Yea need to up the stats on the gear probably.

I literally haven't found anything useful since I got done normal. Enemies advanced too much on Nightmare and I didnt want to farm yet for decent Nightmare equipment I spent a bunch on AH items and flew through NM, Now in Act III hell, and I still havent used anything I've found...thats kind of dumb.

Totakeke

Is it just me or does the higher up you go in difficulty levels in Hardcore Mode, the greater number of douche know-it-all elitists you run into and 60% of them are Monks and the other 39.999% are Barbarians?

Even if I haven't touched Hardcore yet that doesn't seem surprising in the slightest.

DTKT

Yea need to up the stats on the gear probably.

I literally haven't found anything useful since I got done normal. Enemies advanced too much on Nightmare and I didnt want to farm yet for decent Nightmare equipment I spent a bunch on AH items and flew through NM, Now in Act III hell, and I still havent used anything I've found...thats kind of dumb.

That's exactly why the AH ruined gear progression.

The gear you find is irrelevant since you have access to much better gear through the AH.

Sothpaw

So my big plan was to have D3 be my relaxing game in between DOTA 2 sessions. I'm going to have to rethink my plan; inferno is hardly what I would call relaxing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom