• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

So my Monk just hit 60:

24k-28k health depending on mantras/buffs
11k DPS
85 all resists
4500-5500 armor depending on buffs

and I cannot kill a pack specials in inferno to save my life. I might get lucky if they're just fast electrified or something but fire chains? molten? desicrator? GG. Does it really all come down to build (i've tried everything) or do monks just blow after 60 solo?

It comes down to equipment for you. Act 1 is a breeze for my monk. I've got 25k health, 20k dps, 700 all resists and over 5500 with buffs (I think normally I hit like 700). Act 1 is a joke now. Act 2 is still rape though.

For a monk to succeed in Act 1 inferno you will need way way way more resists. Try and hit 700. You'll want a bit more dps. Most people hit inferno with way more dps than you and start shrinking it in order to trade off for resists and defense. You'll need to gain all of the above I guess. I also started shrinking my life in inferno in order to get defense. You can go dodge build, but even with that you'll need some more of everything in order to not get destroyed when you don't dodge something.

When you get on the AH you should be able to get some nice dex, vit, and all resist gear. You'll need to spend a good amount since you're melee. Per piece to get through Act 1 I'd say probably 200,000 maybe and you'll get 50 all resist and a dash of dex and vit. Spend more and you'll get more. If you want attack speed or crit chance on stuff you'll have to spend more there too.

Build does help, though, too. If you haven't already, you'll need to retool to be much more defensive than any difficulty before. Serenity will be your best friend.

Reposting for new page, I want to solo inferno with this build as Wizard. Will it be possible?

What do you guys think of this Wizard build? Kind of feels like I am playing a frost mage in WoW. Its weird but I have been pretty much using the same abilities since level 15 minus a few rune adjustments.

So far I am on Act 3 in Nightmare and the game still feels really easy. How will this build hold up in Hell/Inferno do you think?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bZYXfm!aXf!aZaaZZ

Makes heavy use of freezing adds and then blasting the shit out of the elites/tough ranged mobs with Archon. Also highly defensive build, but lacks a teleport outside of Archon, which I am not sure if I will eventualy 100% need in Inferno. (regular teleport I mean)

rCIZZLE

All this bot talk made me look it up. Found a forum where people are talking about doing jar runs and making 700k gold per hour. Yeah, I think I'm done with this game for now.

I can't bring myself to log on anymore. Endless butcher runs for maybe something worth a couple hundred k? No thanks.

My ideal D3 would have had Inferno toned down and an additional 10 levels added so that we can run through Inferno get our fat loot like happy little campers AND THEN a truly bullshit mode appears for the masochists amongst you. The drops in the bullshit mode would be at level 70 with no ilvls and their stats could be stupid amazing like Movement Speed on any piece of equipment, viable MF weapons etc. While there would be 10 levels to gain in Inferno, you aren't locked out of the final difficulty due to not hitting the level criteria. Rather, level 70 equipment would be relegated to this mode and this mode only so as to limit AH bamboozling like we have now with people finishing hell/starting Inferno completely ignoring 59-61 equipment because, why the fuck not?

As of right now I feel like there is a whole tier of loot that I'll never get to try because pre-Inferno drops are shitting up acts 1 and 2 Act 3 is an absolute nightmare without vigorous gold grinding and hustling on the AH. The game is way too short and it doesn't take long to hit that Inferno brick wall. Normal is a waste of time, Nightmare is barely there, Hell is when it starts to get enjoyable... then you're stuck. I would have liked to feel like I was making steady progress for longer. Right now I'm faced with, banging my head against a wall or go back to a mode where I melt everything.

I think I'll get all 5 characters through Hell and call it a day.

LordCanti

All this bot talk made me look it up. Found a forum where people are talking about doing jar runs and making 700k gold per hour. Yeah, I think I'm done with this game for now.

Found the same forum I assume you're looking at. I can't compete with people making 700k an hour 24/7, and I'm not going to try.

So now I have a monk, a demon hunter, and a barbarian in inferno. The demon hunter is progressing faster than the other two even though the monk was my first character. All of them are currently in act 2, with the DH at kulle while the melee chars are near magda. I think I could get farther with the DH but I keep getting terrible combinations on my elite packs. If I had to rank them on ease of killing elite packs in inferno it would be DH -> barbarian -> monk. Demon hunter has the advantage of range and frequent smoke screens while the barbarian has the awesomeness of wrath of the berserker + ignore pain. The monk can stay alive alright but I have a lot of trouble actually killing things since my skill slots are filled with 1 spirit earner and 5 survival skills. It probably doesn't help that I'm splitting my money between three characters.

Cipherr

So my Monk just hit 60:

24k-28k health depending on mantras/buffs
11k DPS
85 all resists
4500-5500 armor depending on buffs

and I cannot kill a pack specials in inferno to save my life. I might get lucky if they're just fast electrified or something but fire chains? molten? desicrator? GG. Does it really all come down to build (i've tried everything) or do monks just blow after 60 solo?

EDIT: also, is there any easier way to post pics of gear and builds etc other than just print screen and photoshop?

You will definitely need some gear upgrades. Your HP level is probably fine. DPS a little low, but fine if you are going for a defensive build for Act 1. Resists are low, Armor is fine. Its time to start messing with your skills. Taking one or two that are very defensive. Switching out some of the fun passives for ones that will help you survive. And probably playing some public games where you can be carried a bit until you get some gear upgrades.

It'll get better. Then you will hit Act 2 and its a brick wall of epic proportion.

Man this is bullshit. They really need to get that shit under control and make a new shard or something with a reset.

thespot84

It comes down to equipment for you. Act 1 is a breeze for my monk. I've got 25k health, 20k dps, 700 all resists and over 5500 with buffs (I think normally I hit like 700). Act 1 is a joke now. Act 2 is still rape though.

For a monk to succeed in Act 1 inferno you will need way way way more resists. Try and hit 700. You'll want a bit more dps. Most people hit inferno with way more dps than you and start shrinking it in order to trade off for resists and defense. You'll need to gain all of the above I guess. I also started shrinking my life in inferno in order to get defense. You can go dodge build, but even with that you'll need some more of everything in order to not get destroyed when you don't dodge something.

When you get on the AH you should be able to get some nice dex, vit, and all resist gear. You'll need to spend a good amount since you're melee. Per piece to get through Act 1 I'd say probably 200,000 maybe and you'll get 50 all resist and a dash of dex and vit. Spend more and you'll get more. If you want attack speed or crit chance on stuff you'll have to spend more there too.

Build does help, though, too. If you haven't already, you'll need to retool to be much more defensive than any difficulty before. Serenity will be your best friend.

I have 130K gold and I've completely changed my build 3 times today (from dodge to healing to fuck if I know anymore). Everything you said sounds incredibly daunting. would you recommend farming act IV hell for gear?

Found the same forum I assume you're looking at. I can't compete with people making 700k an hour 24/7, and I'm not going to try.
These people are going to end up buying out the best gear and trying to sell it on the RMAH for profit... this is going to get messy me thinks

Cipherr

I have 130K gold and I've completely changed my build 3 times today (from dodge to healing to fuck if I know anymore). Everything you said sounds incredibly daunting. would you recommend farming act IV hell for gear?

I personally wouldnt do Act 4 hell for gear. It would work, but if I were you I would jump into some public games and play with others. Find some Barb who has already built his Inferno set, and let him tank stuff while you circle round the back and dps. Get your gear or sell what you dont need and buy new gear.

Any way it goes though, daunting. You have essentially hit grind time.

From my experience, the gear in Act IV will barely help. Farm act 3 for gold, and buy some off AH. That's the best advice I can give.

Reposting for new page, I want to solo inferno with this build as Wizard. Will it be possible?

What do you guys think of this Wizard build? Kind of feels like I am playing a frost mage in WoW. Its weird but I have been pretty much using the same abilities since level 15 minus a few rune adjustments.

So far I am on Act 3 in Nightmare and the game still feels really easy. How will this build hold up in Hell/Inferno do you think?

Makes heavy use of freezing adds and then blasting the shit out of the elites/tough ranged mobs with Archon. Also highly defensive build, but lacks a teleport outside of Archon, which I am not sure if I will eventualy 100% need in Inferno. (regular teleport I mean)

Also forgot but should I be going for +cold gear or should I switch frost beam to the arcane one since it seems arcane dmg gear is a lot more common, but maybe I am wrong. Have yet to find any +cold dmg pieces.

LordCanti

These people are going to end up buying out the best gear and trying to sell it on the RMAH for profit... this is going to get messy me thinks

Undoubtedly. Now that gold is deflating in price (causing inflation in the gold cost of items), there's no reason not to switch to that strategy. People are going to need 1200+ DPS weapons (and resist all/IAS/Life steal/etc) armor when the RMAH opens, so why not buy it now and hold onto it?

Cagey

Banned
Act 4 Inferno with my DH... holy fuck the hit range on these enemies. I'm often three character lengths away from bile slug swiping its tiny paw, and *bam* dead.

tch

Boy I sure hope this catches on. I've been feeling super generous lately so I'm gonna try this out and see if you guys follow up with actually entering :p Don't judge my shitty photoshop skills!

Ct39O.png

What is it? ||| I've decided that instead of selling my good drops I get from farming, I will choose (at random) one member that has opted in my giveaway to select any one item of their choosing from my current stash to have for free!

When is it? ||| Whenever I post it! I'll randomly post in any D3 OT that's currently running and say that the giveaway has begun. After that, all you need to do to enter is send me a private message and say you're in for the drawing! I'll announce who's been selected approximately 4 days after I make the post in the topic.

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?! ||| Because I love yah GAF!

P.S. I have various items for all classes, so don't worry about not having something for your class :p

Cool man! Looking forward to it

Narag

Act 4 Inferno with my DH... holy fuck the hit range on these enemies. I'm often three character lengths away from bile slug swiping its tiny paw, and *bam* dead.

As I learned the hard way, if they start their attack animation, they're going to hit. You can override this with a timely smoke screen but yeah, it takes a bit of adjustment as you're not dodging the attack but putting yourself in a position where they're not able to hit you.

The entire reason people kept playing D2 was to gear up a bad ass character though. And being able to do that yourself in-game has been eliminated. So what will keep people playing this one?

Badass gear was pretty damn close to impossible solo D2 though, I know I never really got anywhere without trading, you would have to either spend a stupid about of time farming or just settle with not having anything close to the greatest gear. I like the fact that I can spend 45 minutes farming and if I don't get any sweet drops I'm still guaranteed to get a chunk of gold that can go far on the AH.

HenryHSH

It's one of the top results on google so it's probably the same place. Some guy has an elaborate setup running 4 DHs at the same time. I guess if you want to farm, go big.

The guy buys 5 copies of D3, 4 licenses for the bots and is probably using a VPN... We're definitely not competing with that. :(

I like the fact that I can spend 45 minutes farming and if I don't get any sweet drops I'm still guaranteed to get a chunk of gold that can go far on the AH.

No... :\

RDreamer

Sadly, I don't think Act IV hell will help much. The problem with everything now is that even Act 1 Inferno stuff doesn't sell worth a crap. Honestly, nothing in farming hast ever worked for me. I don't think I've ever found anything worth more than like 200k at any point. I gained my gold through playing the AH. I'm not some tycoon either. The stuff I was playing was literally 5,000-10,000 a pop. It took quite a while to work up enough to buy each piece. But even that didn't really help as much with me. While playing the AH I found a lot of my pieces for insane prices. I have a 15% damage reduced string of ears I got for 88k. My helm I think was worth like 2-3 million when I looked and I grabbed it for 200k.

Changing your build isn't going to do it, I know that much. No matter what you do you're going to get raped a good amount of time. Your resists are just way too low to do either healing or dodging or anything. You'll take too much damage, and you don't dish out enough to kill them before your life takes a big hit. You can't stay alive long enough to kill them with that dps.

Badass gear was pretty damn close to impossible solo D2 though, I know I never really got anywhere without trading, you would have to either spend a stupid about of time farming or just settle with not having anything close to the greatest gear. I like the fact that I can spend 45 minutes farming and if I don't get any sweet drops I'm still guaranteed to get a chunk of gold that can go far on the AH.

I dunno what you're doing, but with prices on the AH now 45 minutes of farming isn't going to do fuck all for you. At least for me it isn't. It seems like every 3 or 4 butcher runs I'll maybe get something work 100k? 100k doesn't do diddly shit when the upgrades you need are at least a million.

Sadly, I don't think Act IV hell will help much. The problem with everything now is that even Act 1 Inferno stuff doesn't sell worth a crap. Honestly, nothing in farming hast ever worked for me. I don't think I've ever found anything worth more than like 200k at any point. I gained my gold through playing the AH. I'm not some tycoon either. The stuff I was playing was literally 5,000-10,000 a pop. It took quite a while to work up enough to buy each piece. But even that didn't really help as much with me. While playing the AH I found a lot of my pieces for insane prices. I have a 15% damage reduced string of ears I got for 88k. My helm I think was worth like 2-3 million when I looked and I grabbed it for 200k.

Changing your build isn't going to do it, I know that much. No matter what you do you're going to get raped a good amount of time. Your resists are just way too low to do either healing or dodging or anything. You'll take too much damage, and you don't dish out enough to kill them before your life takes a big hit. You can't stay alive long enough to kill them with that dps.

Seems to me a lot of the multi-million shit on the AH isn't even selling. I can almost always find the same item sometimes even with better stats for a million or less. The pricing is all over the place an there doesn't seem to be any consensus on what stats are worth.

I dunno what you're doing, but with prices on the AH now 45 minutes of farming isn't going to do fuck all for you. At least for me it isn't. It seems like every 3 or 4 butcher runs I'll maybe get something work 100k? 100k doesn't do diddly shit when the upgrades you need are at least a million.

I'm shopping around and getting some nice stuff in the 300-400k range but I'm not really trying to blast through the entire game as fast as possible. I mostly run Cydea and Azmodan in hell mode with takes 30-45 minues, gets me 100-150k, and usually a couple nice drops that will sell or go to an different toon. It's fun to just play the game! The really nice gear sets will come after I get a nice magic find set and have played for awhile.

inky

Did the game seriously booted me to the login screen just 3 hits away from killing the Butcher.

Fucking Blizzard, WTF. I've having shit drops all night too, like, half the rares I usually get =/

RDreamer

Seems to me a lot of the multi-million shit on the AH isn't even selling. I can almost always find the same item sometimes even with better stats for a million or less. The pricing is all over the place an there doesn't seem to be any consensus on what stats are worth.

There are a few things that are obviously idiots throwing things up at stupid prices, but there are most definitely quite a few multi-million things that are selling, and selling quite well. There's an auction house/economy thread over at something awful where people are talking about and also flipping things quite a bit. And those guys are flipping things into the mull-millions. I personally have flipped one item from 1 to 2 million, but I know that's not that much. I know stuff like Stormshields, justice lanterns, and String of Ears and stuff definitely do sell.

And there is a decent consensus on things. You just have to look harder at things and really know the search criteria and the AH. Again, there are outliers by people throwing things up for multi-millions thinking they struck things big and not realizing they may have rolled a shitty SOE or something, but there is a kind of consensus as to what sells by those that do a lot of the selling.

Did the game seriously booted me to the login screen just 3 hits away from killing the Butcher.

Fucking Blizzard, WTF. I've having shit drops all night too, like, half the rares I usually get =/

If only half of your rares are shit then I'd say you're doing pretty well. Right now I think I'm at 1 out of every 30-40 pieces are even sellable on the AH.

inky

If only half of your rares are shit then I'd say you're doing pretty well. Right now I think I'm at 1 out of every 30-40 pieces are even sellable on the AH.

No, I meant like literally half the rares I get per run. During the runs I've done tonight I've had about 10 champs who haven't dropped a single one, and the time before I got dc'd, the Butcher only dropped 1, with my usual 260 MF. As per the rare quality I'd say 1 in 100 is worth anything, the rest I just give away to my friends or break down.

RDreamer

I swear Act 2 Inferno is going to give me a brain aneurysm.

Honestly it's about killed my addiction to the game. I finally got my character to where I thought I could make a good push. And to be fair I did make a good push. I got through some of the Kule quests and died a lot less than my party members, but still. Elites just aren't fun. There's a really big rift between their power and the normal monster's power, and it's crazy and frustrating. Honestly Act 1 was pretty close to perfect in difficulty. Maybe just marginally more difficult for Act 2 and beyond would have been alright, but this cliff you have to climb is crazy. Act 1 was tough but I felt like it was kind of fair. you had to gear up correctly with resists and really play with your head in the game until you got a grip on things. In Act 2? Yeah, that's all just Auction House multi-millions worth of gear check, and even then you're likely going to die a lot.

No, I meant like literally half the rares I get per run. During the runs I've done tonight I've had about 10 champs who haven't dropped a single one, and the time before I got dc'd, the Butcher only dropped 1, with my usual 260 MF.

Whoops, totally read that wrong. Carry on.

ruimound

Just beat
Maghda
in Inferno (do we have to use tags here? Still relatively new to GAF), and it wasn't too bad. Then again, I'm a DH, so who knows what my opinion means. Question, though: I played initially with two people and mobs didn't seem to fully heal often, if at all, but as soon as a third person joined I noticed mobs would instantly heal to full after a few seconds of idle time. Is this insta-heal thing only a 3 people and up kind of deal?

It's kind of a hassle either way though. Whittling down some mobs can get so tedious. Especially anything with Shielding or Extra Health.

Narag

Is this insta-heal thing only a 3 people and up kind of deal?.

It'll happen solo at times too if they're out of combat too long. It's weird as it's not something that happens across the board and there's ways around it like using Tyrael to keep them in combat.

I wonder how long it will take for the AH to essentially be full of only high quality items. You get a legendary drop with only one off stat and it's worthless.

Narag

I wonder how long it will take for the AH to essentially be full of only high quality items. You get a legendary drop with only one off stat and it's worthless.

I think it's more likely that sort of thing will be left on the gold AH while the perfect rolls are moved to the RMAH.

Paches

Finally beat Diablo Inferno! Time to level up some other classes now I suppose! Here is what my Diablo Inferno kill gear was like:

rsz_1screenshot002.jpg

Kaiden

Neo Member
Honestly it's about killed my addiction to the game. I finally got my character to where I thought I could make a good push. And to be fair I did make a good push. I got through some of the Kule quests and died a lot less than my party members, but still. Elites just aren't fun. There's a really big rift between their power and the normal monster's power, and it's crazy and frustrating. Honestly Act 1 was pretty close to perfect in difficulty. Maybe just marginally more difficult for Act 2 and beyond would have been alright, but this cliff you have to climb is crazy. Act 1 was tough but I felt like it was kind of fair. you had to gear up correctly with resists and really play with your head in the game until you got a grip on things. In Act 2? Yeah, that's all just Auction House multi-millions worth of gear check, and even then you're likely going to die a lot.

This pretty much sums up my feelings. I've spent maybe 20-30 hours farming the end of Act 1 to just get brutally stomped as soon as I pass the gates in Act 2. It is mind boggling and after wipe after wipe seeing a 30 second rez timer I just exit out and have no desire at all to play.

Madouu

Just beat
Maghda
in Inferno (do we have to use tags here? Still relatively new to GAF), and it wasn't too bad. Then again, I'm a DH, so who knows what my opinion means. Question, though: I played initially with two people and mobs didn't seem to fully heal often, if at all, but as soon as a third person joined I noticed mobs would instantly heal to full after a few seconds of idle time. Is this insta-heal thing only a 3 people and up kind of deal?

I think spoiler tags aren't mandatory anymore unless there's somebody just starting the game posting in the thread.

I just got Maghda too on inferno with a friend (both monks). It was super easy compared to the elites we had to face; and often run away from, to get to her. It was a good break from farming Act 1 over and over for the last two days though ...

balddemon

Banned
wizard or WD for hardcore? nver played either. not making a melee class for HC and i already have a DH softcore

Finally beat Diablo Inferno! Time to level up some other classes now I suppose! Here is what my Diablo Inferno kill gear was like:

rsz_1screenshot002.jpg

can i buy some of those tomes of secrets off you? US region

Dahbomb

There isn't just a market for high quality top end items. Sometimes you can just incrementally work your way up the upgrades. Your current gear might have 25 Dex and with some additional money you can get the same item for a bit more money with 50 Dex. You aren't normally going to drop 1 million gold for that 100 Dex, 100 Vit, 60 All resistance item, some people would just incrementally upgrade themselves one item at a time especially if they find it difficult to farm large sums without significant returns.

Dahbomb

Sigh F' act 2 man. After farming Act 1 inferno for...forever try Act 2 again and just get destroyed by anything.
Welcome to the club. The gear check on this act is crazy.

Also I feel bad for my Templar. At least he could take a few hits in Act 1, in Act 2 he literally dashes into a wash and gets killed instantly. A few times he dashed into a pool of acid and died instantly. He pretty much spends the entirety of Act 2 on the ground.

Chris R

Getting disconnected sucks so much, because for some reason it loves to happen just before a checkpoint would occur. Twice now I've cleared out a floor of a dungeon taking 20+ mins and finally found the destination only to be disconnected :|

ruimound

It'll happen solo at times too if they're out of combat too long. It's weird as it's not something that happens across the board and there's ways around it like using Tyrael to keep them in combat.

I see. I guess in general I should work out strategies with my party to always keep someone on deck and, if death is inevitable (it always is), to try to space each one out correctly. I hope it's figured out, because there are so many variables that I don't know about. Like, how long do you have before the Enrage timer kicks off?

I think what's most annoying about Act II for me so far is not the unique mobs (mind you, they really, really are), but rather that any basic mob anywhere can basically one shot me. It's not fun when a Thrall bum rushes you from offscreen and you die. I'm almost more OK with champions being absurd, because I've basically been trained to expect several deaths on each one.

Won

I try to not look at such things. Reality is always very painful, but man it feels like the AH was replaced with another AH over the last weekend. I can't seem to afford anything on there anymore. :(

Working on Act 1 Inferno. I'll probably stop once I get to Act 2 until they nerf/fix Act 2 Inferno onwards.

Also made a HC character, same class (Wizard). Gonna play that after I'm done with my main char.

Paches

Grats, since youre a Wizard and all can you look at my post on top of the page or better yet just tell me if this wizard build will work in Inferno or is it really just about the gear checks?

You will most likely need to change it up. My two most common builds were as follows (for Inferno only!):

Kiting: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#lRYXOS!WXY!bbZaYZ
Damage dealing (used much less frequently): http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bcYXOS!cXY!bYZaYZ

Note that this is Inferno specific really, I am not sure how efficient this would be outside of it as it is very well made for surviving and kiting a lot.

For Hell, I did something like....

Direct Damage: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#biYXQS!cXY!bZZaZZ
Really fun mass AoE:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#bkYXQS!eXY!bbZZZZ

These aren't the end all, be all of Wizard builds, but they worked well for me. Everyone has a different style, but there are some skills for Inferno that are a staple (such as Energy Armor/Force Armor Rune to avoid one shots), as well as Enchant Weapon because of the insane scaling as you get more damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom