• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my ass kick severly with my monk when I started Hell. I bought a full set on the AH and now I rolled the same items through the entire hell.

I had to skip a couple of elite or champs that had incredibly stupid power combinations but overall, it's really not that hard.

My dps in only 5k and I feel it's really not enough anymore. Will hit level 60 by the time I smash Diablo's face so I'll do another run in the AH to buy a good weapon

Totakeke

Holy fuck..

3I1I7.png

Not mine.

I'd like to see him in action.

J-Rzez

Have you tried Warder/Butcher runs? You get about 5-7 rares and a shit ton of blues in a 20-40 minute session run. I got a bunch of money reselling the good rares that I couldn't use.

When I went through them I didn't exactly get great gear so I didn't think to really farm them. So they'd actually drop decent armor perhaps?

I'm just on the verge of quitting now. Poor latency. Can only get gear for the act you're in by farming the one after it. The AH prices are out of this world right now, 12M gold for a blue weapon.

alternade

Couple of noob questions

What are stacks? People keep talking about 5 stack and beating the game with them.

Is it worth investing in building gear through the blacksmith and grinding during my first run on normal? Or should I just barrel my way through normal to get to the harder modes?

Does it make sense to farm Diablo in Hell with 5 stacks NV?

Hmm if you want to make decent run i suggest
Act 3 Hell:

Kill the siegebreaker quest starting from waypoint on Bridge of Cassick -> through Lady of Lust -> Azmodean

Nice cash - bunch of champions - 3 boss loot enemies

W2ljZ.jpg

Finally hit my 2k DEX mark for my Monk. 40% base dodge, 49% with mantra is mighty sexy. Next step is to keep these DEX levels while upgrading Resist/LoH/VIT. That'll be the challenge.

What's the viability of dual wielding to use guardians path for extra dodge? Do you need the shield for the damage mitigation when you don't dodge? I'm thinking about trying to stack dex and going dual wield with dodge skill abilities/loh/lpss and enough resists to survive long enough for healing to kick in. I think I would have problems surviving a hit when dodge fails.

Granted i'm far away from that build. Currently running a 2 hand build based on increased damage/ decrease enemy damage skills. Act 1 is easy but act 2 is a wall when I hit elites. I can take some but most are out of reach.

Couple of noob questions

What are stacks? People keep talking about 5 stack and beating the game with them.

Is it worth investing in building gear through the blacksmith and grinding during my first run on normal? Or should I just barrel my way through normal to get to the harder modes?

You get stacks of Nephilim Valour when you hit lvl 60 - 5 of them = +75 Golf find/Magic find

And no - on your first normal playthrough use AH to get cheap 10-20k items to advance.

Also save grinding for hell/inferno. 1 hour grind when you are lvl 60 = several or even tens of hours of grind on normal.

You get stacks of Nephilim Valour when you hit lvl 60 - 5 of them = +75 Golf find/Magic find

And no - on your first normal playthrough use AH to get cheap 10-20k items to advance.

Also save grinding for hell/inferno. 1 hour grind when you are lvl 60 = several or even tens of hours of grind on normal.

What does that mean? sorry I'm a n00b too

Thrakier

It doesn't even make sense to farm Butcher in Inferno with 5 stacks.

Why?

@Ultimoo

I can farm act 1 inferno to a certain degree. Though it drops only shit it seems and on the AH nothing is selling at all it seems like that. I can put some stuff in way undervalued and it still doesn't sell. My queue is constantly full for 3 days...no fun.

zou

I can't believe NV stacks don't carry over. I never played the beta so I only vaguely followed the game at that point. But one thing everyone kept repeating is that NV is some sort of incentive to play a particular build since you would be penalized when changing skills. So why in the hell do you lose it when disconnecting/exiting a game or changing acts? Once you hit lvl 60 you're going to lose the buff with every new instance anyway, so it in no way encourages to stick with ones skills. And for all of their complaining about boss runs and how they wanted to de-emphasize those in D3, they just ended up making them more tedious.

It feels like every single change to address their "issues" with D2 resulted in the same problem, but worse.

MrDaravon

They really need to do a better job of posting upcoming maintenance in-game under Breaking News. They posted about this on Twitter and the official boards a day or two ago, but as of 30 minutes ago it doesn't show it in-game. Last time they did this they posted about it days before online, but it only showed up under Breaking News a couple hours before they went down. Also there's really no time that the servers can go down where it's not going to suck for someone, but I still don't understand why they don't take them down at 1-2 am PDT. Going down at 8am EST is probably fucking a lot more people than the servers being up for West coast people until 5am on a weekday.

Now that servers are down, stats time! Looking for recommendations for my 54 DH. Just beat the Butcher on Hell, but took several times (he mostly one-shotted me). Not really sure what I should be going for at this point specifically stat-wise. My build seems to be the common DH one, and when I hit 54 I upgraded my weapon and most of my armor pieces, tried to focus more on going for straight Dex which resulted in a bit of a hit on my GF% and HP. Stats are unbuffed except for Archery (remembered to disable Sharpshooter though).

s9LgL.png

NBFBh.png

ECum7.png

Sarcasm

So what is the low down on the gem dude? He worth investing in? How do I do this properly? I haven't even touched the blacksmith.

Lanbeast

Not that I don't feel bad for you guys, but I'm really glad they do all their maintenance during my work hours. There has only been one time (10 minutes) since launch that I couldn't play due to servers being down or maintenance. feelsgoodman.jpg

J0dy77

Blizzard needs to fix the fucking AH. It is impossible to weed through the mountains of shit on there. I've spent hours trying to upgrade my belt but keep wading through 100's and 100's of pages of strength gear (I'm a monk). My eyes were going crossed last night.

I know they've commented on resource constraints but there needs to be a more filters. I'd be fine with 4, 5 would be spectacular. They also need to allow us to search by value and omit value. So I can ommit str from an item and search for numbers over 100. Sick of seeing belts with 10 of a stat on them.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Blizzard needs to fix the fucking AH. It is impossible to weed through the mountains of shit on there. I've spent hours trying to upgrade my belt but keep wading through 100's and 100's of pages of strength gear (I'm a monk). My eyes were going crossed last night.

I know they've commented on resource constraints but there needs to be a more filters. I'd be fine with 4, 5 would be spectacular. They also need to allow us to search by value and omit value. So I can ommit str from an item and search for numbers over 100. Sick of seeing belts with 10 of a stat on them.

You can search by a minimum of a number o_O It would be easier to have the high str on the search and wade through stuff for that 4th special stat you want than wading through a bunch of shitty str items

You know you can set all the attributes you want and a price limit along with level etc etc....

It is not THAT bad.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Snagged a 25% mf spear for 1 mil right before things went down. Cheapest I've seen a perfect spear go for besides that one that was up for 7777 the other day for a few seconds.

zou

I also hate that their is no point in having multiple characters with different builds. I know some people like to say the D2 skill tree only offered the illusion of choice, but with the sorc at least you had 3 more or less viable main builds. Playing a fw sorc played completely different from say a frozen orb one (or whatever) and was just as fun as playing a new/different class. But since everything is driven off of weapon dps anyway that point is moot, it doesn't even matter what level I am or what skill I choose. That's probably my biggest issue, a sorc shouldn't have to rely on a weapon, in D2 a sorc was viable without a high dps weapon which let me focus on different stats. But alas, dps or bust...

So far I've had way more fun with taking a new character to level 60 than the "end-game" part of D3 but there's only so many new classes. :/

It's already been stated that they are reworking the AH in upcoming patches, and it really isn't that bad.

FtHTiny

Just search for a belt with the stats you want, everything else should be a bonus.
f.e.: 100dex, 100vit, 40all resist
If there are still 100 pages set a pricelimit you want to pay.

But i agree, if an item can have 5-6 properties you should be able to search for 5 at least.

Vodh

Anyone knows how does the WD Dire Bats pathing work? Do they just take random little turns, or do they actually try to 'target' arbitrarily chosen enemies or something?

So I'm about half-way through Act I in inferno and my crappy gear is becoming more and more of a hindrance (playing as a Monk). What are my best options for improving my situation? I mean, obviously farming for money and buying stuff on the AH but I'm looking for a little more detail. I know this stuff has been talked about to death but I haven't really kept up with it since it hasn't affected me prior to where I am now.

Any tips?

Pkaz01

So is farming whimnyshire for act 1 inferno worth it or are you better off just grinding act 3 with valor stacks? Should i just stack up on gold find and grind? I get 180% magic find with my current items with 5 stacks am I better off switching to gold because worthwhile items arent going to drop anyway?

Mr_eX

They really need to do a better job of posting upcoming maintenance in-game under Breaking News. They posted about this on Twitter and the official boards a day or two ago, but as of 30 minutes ago it doesn't show it in-game. Last time they did this they posted about it days before online, but it only showed up under Breaking News a couple hours before they went down. Also there's really no time that the servers can go down where it's not going to suck for someone, but I still don't understand why they don't take them down at 1-2 am PDT. Going down at 8am EST is probably fucking a lot more people than the servers being up for West coast people until 5am on a weekday.

Now that servers are down, stats time! Looking for recommendations for my 54 DH. Just beat the Butcher on Hell, but took several times (he mostly one-shotted me). Not really sure what I should be going for at this point specifically stat-wise. My build seems to be the common DH one, and when I hit 54 I upgraded my weapon and most of my armor pieces, tried to focus more on going for straight Dex which resulted in a bit of a hit on my GF% and HP. Stats are unbuffed except for Archery (remembered to disable Sharpshooter though).

s9LgL.png

NBFBh.png

ECum7.png

Try putting an emerald in your weapon instead of a ruby, see how that effects your DPS. I've been meaning to try this out myself but the weapons I end up using don't have sockets. I know the highest level emerald increases crit % by 100% which should be crazy good for demon hunters. I'm 60 with 18k DPS and I frequently crit for 80k+ but I have 150% crit damage.

I was focusing on dex and vitality most of the game but I probably should have been going for dex and crit damage and %.

Dynoro

Sorry for the newbie question; but I'm getting near the end of Nightmare (starting act 4 and I'm level 48) and I have 3.5k damage and 21k HP as a Wizard. I suspect this is enough for Act 1 Hell but I wondered if it is worth picking up res gear just yet?

Also I assume I should ditch archon soon and swap to something like teleport to aid movement?

These guys were absolutely wrecking my Barbarian...

e1335589ed8fac4af417065cb090acbd28b602e3.jpg

...but then I discovered that the portly fellows couldn't fit up that staircase. :-D

Sorry for the newbie question; but I'm getting near the end of Nightmare (starting act 4 and I'm level 48) and I have 3.5k damage and 21k HP as a Wizard. I suspect this is enough for Act 1 Hell but I wondered if it is worth picking up res gear just yet?

Also I assume I should ditch archon soon and swap to something like teleport to aid movement?

As a Wizard you're fine since you get a bunch of res. due to tons of int. I play a Barb and didn't even need to look at res. until Inferno.

I also hate that their is no point in having multiple characters with different builds. I know some people like to say the D2 skill tree only offered the illusion of choice, but with the sorc at least you had 3 more or less viable main builds. Playing a fw sorc played completely different from say a frozen orb one (or whatever) and was just as fun as playing a new/different class. But since everything is driven off of weapon dps anyway that point is moot, it doesn't even matter what level I am or what skill I choose. That's probably my biggest issue, a sorc shouldn't have to rely on a weapon, in D2 a sorc was viable without a high dps weapon which let me focus on different stats. But alas, dps or bust...

So far I've had way more fun with taking a new character to level 60 than the "end-game" part of D3 but there's only so many new classes. :/

Then they add insult to injury by including achievements for two level 60s of each class, I'm still kind of baffled as to how that got in the game.

scy

What's the viability of dual wielding to use guardians path for extra dodge? Do you need the shield for the damage mitigation when you don't dodge? I'm thinking about trying to stack dex and going dual wield with dodge skill abilities/loh/lpss and enough resists to survive long enough for healing to kick in. I think I would have problems surviving a hit when dodge fails.

Granted i'm far away from that build. Currently running a 2 hand build based on increased damage/ decrease enemy damage skills. Act 1 is easy but act 2 is a wall when I hit elites. I can take some but most are out of reach.

It feels like it should be doable with ~70% Dodge being capable (~75% counting Mantra of Evasion's 3s buff); I feel like that much Dodge outweighs the Block Chance of the Shield. Also, that much Dodge means 1500-2000+ DEX which makes up for the Armor loss of the Shield, to a point.

Armor/Resists to being able to survive a few hits in a row and enough Dodge to make it "relatively rare" and enough LpSS/LoH to instantly recover it all should be fine. It gives you the chance of getting killed when you lose out on the RNG and eat 5-6 hits in a row but, hey, something different at least.

That's probably my biggest issue, a sorc shouldn't have to rely on a weapon, in D2 a sorc was viable without a high dps weapon which let me focus on different stats. But alas, dps or bust...

Yet in D2, Sorc balance was entirely around their skill tree and faster cast rate. The fact they didn't scale with weapons _at all_ was a problem. Maybe going full Weapon Damage isn't the best case scenario, certainly, but it's better than being independent of the weapon entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom