• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
They really need to do a better job of posting upcoming maintenance in-game under Breaking News. They posted about this on Twitter and the official boards a day or two ago, but as of 30 minutes ago it doesn't show it in-game. Last time they did this they posted about it days before online, but it only showed up under Breaking News a couple hours before they went down. Also there's really no time that the servers can go down where it's not going to suck for someone, but I still don't understand why they don't take them down at 1-2 am PDT. Going down at 8am EST is probably fucking a lot more people than the servers being up for West coast people until 5am on a weekday.

Now that servers are down, stats time! Looking for recommendations for my 54 DH. Just beat the Butcher on Hell, but took several times (he mostly one-shotted me). Not really sure what I should be going for at this point specifically stat-wise. My build seems to be the common DH one, and when I hit 54 I upgraded my weapon and most of my armor pieces, tried to focus more on going for straight Dex which resulted in a bit of a hit on my GF% and HP. Stats are unbuffed except for Archery (remembered to disable Sharpshooter though).

s9LgL.png

NBFBh.png

ECum7.png

At first i was WTF how did he die on Butcher at hell when he have twice as much dexterity as i do at lvl 60 in inferno act 1 then i noticed your HP. Imho you should get your life to at least 20k or get used to being one shotted.

It feels like it should be doable with ~70% Dodge being capable (~75% counting Mantra of Evasion's 3s buff); I feel like that much Dodge outweighs the Block Chance of the Shield. Also, that much Dodge means 1500-2000+ DEX which makes up for the Armor loss of the Shield, to a point.

Armor/Resists to being able to survive a few hits in a row and enough Dodge to make it "relatively rare" and enough LpSS/LoH to instantly recover it all should be fine. It gives you the chance of getting killed when you lose out on the RNG and eat 5-6 hits in a row but, hey, something different at least.

I feel like it should be doable also. You could also stack skills that increase dodge FoT with dodge rune and cyclone with dodge rune to increase it higher; then use evasion with backlash rune for extra damage. I think you would have to lose transcedence passive if you want to run guardians path, seize the initiative, and one with all unless you could do without the armor or res. I wish i had the gear/gold to try it. It would be interesting to play with.

SleazyC

Hopefully they will block ZK abuse and pots with gold in crypt.
Not in the patch notes so going to assume ZK glitching is still in. Are gold pops in the crypt really that broken? Haven't heard much about them.

Killed Azmodan in Inferno last night. Was definitely easier than Belial but the RNG blood pools were frustrating with all of my mighty 16k HP. Had to toss on some more vit gear so I could survive one tick of the blood before i spammed Smoke Screen. Onwards to Act 4. Not really looking forward to all the charging mobs in this act.

GJS

Not in the patch notes so going to assume ZK glitching is still in. Are gold pops in the crypt really that broken? Haven't heard much about them.

Breaking the ashes in the crypt gives like 10k+ gold per run with good gold find, and it takes like 2 or 3 minutes, so you can get anywhere from 200k+ to 400k+ gold an hour. If you want to sit and do that over and over it's the easiest way to make gold right now.

scy

I feel like it should be doable also. You could also stack skills that increase dodge FoT with dodge rune and cyclone with dodge rune to increase it higher; then use evasion with backlash rune for extra damage. I think you would have to lose transcedence passive if you want to run guardians path, seize the initiative, and one with all unless you could do without the armor or res. I wish i had the gear/gold to try it. It would be interesting to play with.

I'd rather gear +All Resistance only to get to ~500-600 Resists rather than drop Transcendence. Personally, anyway. Maybe I'll reconsider if I can get +100-ish LpSS from equipment alone.

Also, that 70% Dodge number I threw out was at ~1500 DEX, Fist of Thunder > Lightning Flash, and Mantra of Evasion > Backlash. Cyclone Strike > Wall of Wind would help even more I imagine, though I think I'd rather get some damage in there so that enemies die faster so you're stuck fighting the RNG less.

Why, whats wrong with people leveling to 60 quickly?

Spamming a quest over and over doesn't fit the ideal, I suppose. I'm fine with it since Normal-Hell is just kind of boring since Inferno is there.

zou

Yet in D2, Sorc balance was entirely around their skill tree and faster cast rate. The fact they didn't scale with weapons _at all_ was a problem. Maybe going full Weapon Damage isn't the best case scenario, certainly, but it's better than being independent of the weapon entirely.

I don't disagree with that, ideally it would take both into account. But if the choice is between 100% skill tree or 100% dps, I'll take the skill tree any time.

MrDaravon

whats ur bow dmg?

I might be able to help you out.

You mean the stats on the bow itself? Without being able to check I want to say it's something like 255ish with about 205 Dex and one or two other stats that I think are irrelevant. I think the rune I have on there takes it up to 313 or so? I'll have to look, not sure.

Try putting an emerald in your weapon instead of a ruby, see how that effects your DPS. I've been meaning to try this out myself but the weapons I end up using don't have sockets. I know the highest level emerald increases crit % by 100% which should be crazy good for demon hunters. I'm 60 with 18k DPS and I frequently crit for 80k+ but I have 150% crit damage.

I was focusing on dex and vitality most of the game but I probably should have been going for dex and crit damage and %.

I'll have to check that; on the bow I had before this one I thought I had hit the point with my stats where the ruby was doing more than the emeralds, but I could be totally wrong. I was also up to this point doing Dex and Vitality, but the last couple times I upgraded I was focusing on Dex over Vitality which seems to be what people recommend as a general rule, but possibly went too far in that direction.

At first i was WTF how did he die on Butcher at hell when he have twice as much dexterity as i do at lvl 60 in inferno act 1 then i noticed your HP. Imho you should get your life to at least 20k or get used to being one shotted.

Yeah, I have a feeling HP is my biggest weakpoint at the moment, but then most people say that even if you buff that stuff it's only an extra hit or maybe two so you're better off focusing on damage, which is what I was doing :/

So should I just farm Act 1 on Hell for a while to get some cash for upgrades, or try to do Act 2? I certainly died on Act 1, but not a whole ton (maybe 5-7 times not counting the Butcher). I was trying to hit 60 before spending a huge amount of time farming for money to buy a single upgrade, but maybe that's not viable?

Deadly

At the speed we're progressing, will it be possible to be able to own inferno as in make it as easy as D2 was?

And what's this crypt gold farming method? I suppose I'll try to get on it after I level my alt. Not only is it boring to farm but now it's fucking hard in D3...

Vodh

Why, whats wrong with people leveling to 60 quickly?

The problem with Kulle exploit is that it makes a grind stripped off any gameplay the time-optimal way to level, and by a very huge margin. It's clearly an unintentional exploit and forcing people to either sacrifice effectiveness or fun if the pros of the exploit are as big as in this case is definitely not Blizzard's intention.

It's fine if people are able to level quickly and there are always gonna be some more effective ways that are arguably less fun than just simply playing the game, but in this case the difference in xp/hour and the sacrifice in leveling speed you have to make to actually be able to enjoy the game during the leveling process are just too ridiculous.

Plus, it's an exploit and exploits should just get fixed.

eek5

At the speed we're progressing, will it be possible to be able to own inferno as in make it as easy as D2 was?

Not if botting keeps driving the prices of end-game level 60 stuff up. Unless you're just talking about paying money for gear once RMAH comes out.

SleazyC

Yeah, I have a feeling HP is my biggest weakpoint at the moment, but then most people say that even if you buff that stuff it's only an extra hit or maybe two so you're better off focusing on damage, which is what I was doing :/
This is true in Inferno, but in Hell you can actually take a couple hits if you have high HP and good resists. In Inferno you can definitely invest in resists and HP but expect to pay a hefty amount for it. Much easier to just stack damage and embrace the dying that is inevitably coming your way. So much death.....

Deadly

Not if botting keeps driving the prices of end-game level 60 stuff up. Unless you're just talking about paying money for gear once RMAH comes out.
The top top end stuff sure but hasn't the prices on like 1000dps weapons been going down?

scy

I'll have to check that; on the bow I had before this one I thought I had hit the point with my stats where the ruby was doing more than the emeralds, but I could be totally wrong. I was also up to this point doing Dex and Vitality, but the last couple times I upgraded I was focusing on Dex over Vitality which seems to be what people recommend as a general rule, but possibly went too far in that direction.

Erm, Rubies are the better option until you get high enough stats (well, Crit Chance) to compensate. Basically, after Sharpshooter, Crit Damage is your go-to extra Damage stat. Rubies stop really being relevant after a certain point.

Assuming base Crit Chance%, Crit Damage% is pretty bad though. It's Sharpshooter (or just manually stacking +Crit Chance%) that really makes it ridiculous.

Barring the occasional lapse in judgment, Act 1 Inferno for my Wizard is pretty much fully auto-pilot without a care in the world. The non-Lacuni areas for Act 2 are mostly the same. Act 3 is still a bit one-shotty and Act 4 still has a lot of sudden charge deaths. And this is with low Armor (~3500 unbuffed) and Resists (~180 unbuffed). Some upgrades can get me to ~4500 Armor and ~400 Resists and probably take care of most my issues.

So ... yeah.

And what's this crypt gold farming method? I suppose I'll try to get on it after I level my alt. Not only is it boring to farm but now it's fucking hard in D3...

Royal Crypts, clear all the urns on the way to Skeleton King with massive amounts of Gold Find%. Leave game. Rinse, repeat.

zoukka

The top top end stuff sure but hasn't the prices on like 1000dps weapons been going down?

Yeah the prices are weird. Start from 500k and you get 900dps weapon. Go to 5 mil and you get a 1000dps weapon. A tenfold increase in cost nets you 100dps on those vanilla 1handers.

Erm, Rubies are the better option until you get high enough stats (well, Crit Chance) to compensate. Basically, after Sharpshooter, Crit Damage is your go-to extra Damage stat. Rubies stop really being relevant after a certain point.

Assuming base Crit Chance%, Crit Damage% is pretty bad though. It's Sharpshooter (or just manually stacking +Crit Chance%) that really makes it ridiculous.

Barring the occasional lapse in judgment, Act 1 Inferno for my Wizard is pretty much fully auto-pilot without a care in the world. The non-Lacuni areas for Act 2 are mostly the same. Act 3 is still a bit one-shotty and Act 4 still has a lot of sudden charge deaths. And this is with low Armor (~3500 unbuffed) and Resists (~180 unbuffed). Some upgrades can get me to ~4500 Armor and ~400 Resists and probably take care of most my issues.

So ... yeah.

so glass cannon wizard is the best way to go? Good to know.

scy

so glass cannon wizard is the best way to go? Good to know.

Eh, 3500 Armor / 180 Resists has 95% of Act 1 hit for under the Force Armor threshold so Prismatic Armor is the better option for me there. It doesn't take that much Armor/Resists to reach a good amount of mitigation (3150 Armor/315 Resists is 25% damage taken).

Though I guess it is a glass cannon-y build since I don't have 50k HP, 8k buffed Armor, and 800 Resists or something.

Edit: To clarify, when I say that Act 1 can be done without caring, I mean that I can tank a few hits from most champs. I'm reaching the point for Act 2 to be the same and Act 3 will take awhile longer I imagine (mostly due to Soul Rippers being forever outrageous).

eek5

Blue ones maybe. I got my weapon a week ago (900dps w/ socket for LOH) and I've been trying to upgrade ever since but everything tripled (or more) in price. It's stupid.

scy

The problem with Kulle exploit is that it makes a grind stripped off any gameplay the time-optimal way to level, and by a very huge margin. It's clearly an unintentional exploit and forcing people to either sacrifice effectiveness or fun if the pros of the exploit are as big as in this case is definitely not Blizzard's intention.

It's fine if people are able to level quickly and there are always gonna be some more effective ways that are arguably less fun than just simply playing the game, but in this case the difference in xp/hour and the sacrifice in leveling speed you have to make to actually be able to enjoy the game during the leveling process are just too ridiculous.

Plus, it's an exploit and exploits should just get fixed.

What makes ZK ridiculous is the quest stacking part with friends; just solo grinding him isn't that huge. Hell, I think Act 3 has a faster spot and it scales with +EXP/kill and +EXP%. Probably more boring than ZK killing though.

MrDaravon

Yeah, I wasn't thinking primarily about Emeralds because I'm using a 2h Bow, so I'm not getting any crit bonuses from Archery, but I always forget about Sharpshooter which certainly helps in that regard. Are 2h bows + Quiver still the way people are generally going at high levels? Only other thing I've really seen is some people saying if you can afford the ridiculous prices going dual crossbows can be super effective for crits, but that it's crazy expensive to buy two good ones.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking primarily about Emeralds because I'm using a 2h Bow, so I'm not getting any crit bonuses from Archery, but I always forget about Sharpshooter which certainly helps in that regard. Are 2h bows + Quiver still the way people are generally going at high levels? Only other thing I've really seen is some people saying if you can afford the ridiculous prices going dual crossbows can be super effective for crits, but that it's crazy expensive to buy two good ones.

been using a 1.05k crossbow with quiver with no problems whatsoever. I have roughly 43k base damage (without sharpshooter) and at Inferno Diablo right now.

feelsgoodman

scy

Dual Socketed Hand Crossbows > 2H Crossbow + Quiver > 2H Bow + Quiver as far as burst-y crit damage is concerned. Though, the Hand Crossbow route wants a high base Crit Chance as well since you'll be resetting Sharpshooter more frequently. So for most gear levels right now, 2H Crossbow + Quiver is still the best option.

Eh, 3500 Armor / 180 Resists has 95% of Act 1 hit for under the Force Armor threshold so Prismatic Armor is the better option for me there. It doesn't take that much Armor/Resists to reach a good amount of mitigation (3150 Armor/315 Resists is 25% damage taken).

Though I guess it is a glass cannon-y build since I don't have 50k HP, 8k buffed Armor, and 800 Resists or something.

Oh I agree with this. I had 700 resists and most things killed me anyway, so I changed to Prismatic armor. Interestingly enough I survive much longer than on Force Armor.

Then again the keyword here is survive. Dying is pretty much the name of the game. Inferno is getting less fun day by day.

MrDaravon

Dual Socketed Hand Crossbows > 2H Crossbow + Quiver > 2H Bow + Quiver as far as burst-y crit damage is concerned. Though, the Hand Crossbow route wants a high base Crit Chance as well since you'll be resetting Sharpshooter more frequently. So for most gear levels right now, 2H Crossbow + Quiver is still the best option.

Any reason 2h crossbows over 2h bows? For the crit bonus from Archery? I just haven't really seen anyone mention 2h crossbows at all, it seems like a weird middle ground that I hadn't even looked at.

eek5

I was looking forward to waking up and leveling my barb....welp......

The longer it takes you to get to 60, the longer you'll enjoy this game as a barb :lol

edit: btw I've fun into two bugs in the past couple of days. One where my DPS goes to 0 (yes less than unarmed) when I switch from 1H/shield to 2H. The other one is where enemies will get stuck with 1 HP and never die. I'm just glad I don't play HC :lol

I've been so focused on DPS for my Wizard on noghtmare that I have short changed myself on health.

I just entered Act 4 with just over 4k DPS but only 6k Life. I made it through the initial battle fine, but I am having doubts about survivability for some of the sub bosses.

I'm not worried about Diablo since my method for beating him on normal will work here. It makes him the easiest boss in the game.

I'm thinking I should maybe drop 1000 DPS for some vitality stuff. I can kite well, but warp bosses, extra fast creatures, and vortex can be troublesome.

Loot has sucked ass for all of Nightmare. Not one rare from the bosses at all. I get better loot from chests and trash mobs, but even that has been unremarkable.

Of course I can't do shit until the servers come back :(

Any reason 2h crossbows over 2h bows? For the crit bonus from Archery? I just haven't really seen anyone mention 2h crossbows at all, it seems like a weird middle ground that I hadn't even looked at.

Crossbow has more damage per shot - so when you are multiplying it with crit you get higher base dmg.

scy

Oh I agree with this. I had 700 resists and most things killed me anyway, so I changed to Prismatic armor. Interestingly enough I survive much longer than on Force Armor.

Then again the keyword here is survive. Dying is pretty much the name of the game. Inferno is getting less fun day by day.

Force Armor is a temporary solution; it's to cover up the lack of Armor/Resists and let you get enough VIT and just always have a three hit life pool. You can eventually get enough Armor/Resists so that Force Armor is never actually triggering.

That said, I'm running into the problem of having too much HP and mitigation so that Illusionist (instantly resets Teleport/Mirror Image) never triggers. My Act 1 Inferno Deaths are due to getting hit for 4k or so damage over and over while Teleport is on cooldown :(

You know how awkward it is when I die in farming sessions because I have too MUCH defense?

Unless I missed something, most everyone goes Crossbow over Bow. The only reason Bows see some use now is just the fact they're cheaper on average than a good Crossbow. Crossbow +Crit Damage% just gives more damage for the Crit Chance/Sharpshooter builds that DHs are running these days.

The other one is where enemies will get stuck with 1 HP and never die. I'm just glad I don't play HC :lol

You need a knockback. They're in some weird pathing glitch that somehow keeps them alive. Illusionist and Teleporting affixes will unstick themselves and you need to manually move them otherwise :/

blackflag

Even without the glitch part of it, ZK is still insanely fast to level. I went from 56-60 in about 2 hours or so. Aprox 30 min. per level and there was no glitching involved since i'm foreveralone. I just kill him, turn in, and reset.

The longer it takes you to get to 60, the longer you'll enjoy this game as a barb :lol

edit: btw I've fun into two bugs in the past couple of days. One where my DPS goes to 0 (yes less than unarmed) when I switch from 1H/shield to 2H. The other one is where enemies will get stuck with 1 HP and never die. I'm just glad I don't play HC :lol

I have about 30 mil set aside for my barb and I'm really enjoying the tanking stuff. I look forward to spending that 30 mil on a helmet and a shield. :(

I seriously had to get use to enemies running away from ME, I was like WTFFF when I had to chase down certain enemies. Playing DH exclusively for over 150 hours and switching to a new class was just the thing I needed.

scy

Even without the glitch part of it, ZK is still insanely fast to level. I went from 56-60 in about 2 hours or so. Aprox 30 min. per level and there was no glitching involved since i'm foreveralone. I just kill him, turn in, and reset.

I think Act 3 loop is faster but I don't have any numbers :x I wanted to get my WD there to try it out but looks like I'll have to get her through Hell the longer way.

My Barb is totally fucked though. Don't know if I can do Normal-Hell normally!

Well yeah but you are playing game as intended and maximizing time/effect - people abusing glitch are cheaters abusing game bug.

MrDaravon

Crossbow has more damage per shot - so when you are multiplying it with crit you get higher base dmg.

Unless I missed something, most everyone goes Crossbow over Bow. The only reason Bows see some use now is just the fact they're cheaper on average than a good Crossbow. Crossbow +Crit Damage% just gives more damage for the Crit Chance/Sharpshooter builds that DHs are running these days.

Goddamn, I'm apparently looking in the wrong places and doing it wrong lol. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it. I knew endgame it would become largely about the crits, just thought it wouldn't be until 60, also really had no idea about the 2h crossbows, I haven't even been searching for those when looking for weapons. Will definitely change things up a bit and see how it goes.

Still curious if I should try to farm Act 2 on Hell and progress, or if I should hang out on Act 1 for a while. On Hell is there any appreciable difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom