• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I said it before and I will say it again... Inferno isn't hard and never was. The gear check for some of the acts of Inferno are insanely higher than your previous difficulty/act especially from Act 1 to Act 2.

You're really just getting into semantics of what "hard" means, though. If you are geared enough to succeed in A1 inferno, and immediately start getting smoked in A2, then A2 is "hard". You can describe the difficulty as "an extreme increase in gear requirements over the previous progression", but at the end of the day it is still a factor of difficulty, especially if farming the gear required to succeed in acts you can succeed in is incredibly time consuming.

Lothars

Sorry, I will never consider that a valid argument. LoD came out over a decade ago. It's features are absolutely fair game.
Hmm I don't see how yours is any more valid either because your saying that the game will not last the same as D2, I think it will especially with patches and further expansions adding things into the game and changing some of the things with patches.

Cagey

Banned
LOD fixed D2C to make the item hunt more addictive, but it took massive patching to artificially inflate the difficulty (lol @ immune packs) to come close to what D2C had in store for players. Whereas level 99 hardcore was never reached in the year of D2C prior to the expansion, and if I recall only one person on standard via group play, everyone and their mom was level 99 on hardcore within weeks... and within days on softcore.

So there's pros and cons to this "hold out hope" approach.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hmm I don't see how yours is any more valid either because your saying that the game will not last the same as D2, I think it will especially with patches and further expansions adding things into the game and changing some of the things with patches.

I'm saying the game will not last based on it's current design and feature sets. If enough compelling stuff gets added, maybe that will change.

Dahbomb

You're really just getting into semantics of what "hard" means, though. If you are geared enough to succeed in A1 inferno, and immediately start getting smoked in A2, then A2 is "hard". You can describe the difficulty as "an extreme increase in gear requirements over the previous progression", but at the end of the day it is still a factor of difficulty, especially if farming the gear required to succeed in acts you can succeed in is incredibly time consuming.
For the record I am not defending the current set up for Act 2 Inferno. It's bad and needs fixing. I am just saying that overall Inferno is not that difficult, just time consuming to farm for. It's not like where even if you farm near top end gear it's still difficult to play through.... that is genuine difficulty.

And difficulty in these types of games is hard to gauge anyway, difficulty = how hard it is to get the gear to comfortably progress an act.

inky

Yeah but it gets pretty close to a hundred with the new inflated AH prices.

That guy has a 30% stormshield, JL with vita + socket, 19% SoE with vit, Helm of command resist all + socket... Have you seen the prices on these items recently? :lol

That's about 45-50 million right there, easily. -.-

Opiate

Thanks, looking forward to it! Yeah, I've cleared all the acts up until act 4 also (I do skip reflect damage elites though, but that's all).

Just thought I'd point out that Reflect Damage is not a serious problem for my build. I gain health with 65% DR + ~9% lifesteal running while pumping full damage in to act III/IV reflect damage elites. However, CC obviously becomes more serious (e.g. frozen or jailer) because I have no way to break it. Still manageable, but not irrelevant the way it was with SS.

I would really love 49 discipline. I'm not there at the moment, but I absolutely want to be later in game progression. This would yield 8 straight shadow power for a theoretical total of 24 seconds of 65% damage reduction.

Macmanus

No it wouldn't
KuGsj.gif

Uh, yes it absolutely would. This isn't even a debatable thing. 100,000,000 at the very least.

Kyoufu

Yeah but it gets pretty close to a hundred with the new inflated AH prices.

That guy has a 30% stormshield, JL with resist all + socket, 19% SoE with vit, Helm of command with socket...

30% Stormshield is 16 million at the very most. Justice Lantern is 3-5 million. HoC with Socket and All Resists is 9 million tops.

And everything else he uses can be farmed for easily. I mean, personally, I haven't spent much on the AH (4.5 million on the Amulet, but that's really it). I have enough gold for a Stormshield now so I don't see myself spending anywhere near the amount you guys claim to be geared for Act 4.

Which shield are you using?

Uh, yes it absolutely would. This isn't even a debatable thing.

It's only not debatable if you're buying overpriced items on the AH and not playing the game AT ALL (ie. not selling drops, not using drops etc).

Neki

I find Shadow Power tanking unsustainable once you run out of Hatred though, Nether Tentacles does so much more dps than Hungering Arrow (Split Shot). It is fun though.

balddemon

Banned
anyone wanna farm gold act 3 hell with me? i've got 120%+ GF not including NV but it's kind of hard for me to survive without my dps gear on. should i just get better GF gear? and is GF even worth it now or should i just do MF?

Opiate

I find Shadow Power tanking unsustainable once you run out of Hatred though, Nether Tentacles does so much more dps than Hungering Arrow (Split Shot). It is fun though.

I'm running bat + templar + a couple pieces with hatred regeneration, and I've deliberately avoided stacking IAS to astronomical heights -- both because I suspected an incoming nerf, and because I wanted more of my DPS to come from crit/dexterity so that I could sustain my hatred longer. I can still run out, but it takes quite a while.

Opiate

Bless that little bat for making different builds so viable.

This is the tiniest of complaints, but I really wish that when I fat fingered my bat hotkey -- or when I switched pets to ferret, which I do on more easily farmable content -- the bat did not die in a bloody explosion. It makes me feel like I killed my faithful best friend.

Neki

I'm running bat + templar + a couple pieces with hatred regeneration, and I've deliberately avoided stacking IAS to astronomical heights -- both because I suspected an incoming nerf, and because I wanted more of my DPS to come from crit/dexterity so that I could sustain my hatred longer. I can still run out, but it takes quite a while.

But I love having astronomical IAS to increase my DPS. :(

No room for Bat in my build though, still run SS/Caltrops/Shadow Power/Prep, with Hungering/Elemental Arrow. The only thing that makes me angry in Act III now are the constant amount of birds shooting fireballs and the Lacuni/Frostclaw Burrower leap strikes that are invinicible.

Kyoufu

Far better than what I have currently. Not sure why you're having trouble with white mobs though. The only things that destroy me are Cleavers/Tremors.

Uh, yes it absolutely would. This isn't even a debatable thing. 100,000,000 at the very least.

I just linked videos with people who spent far, far less. Yet you say it's not debateable. Dat logic.

In fact, fully geared barbs are being sold on trade forums for 50-60 million gold. lol

Macmanus

It's only not debatable if you're buying overpriced items on the AH and not playing the game AT ALL (ie. not selling drops, not using drops etc).

Not selling drops? Uh, that makes NO sense. Since you sell drops that counts as, you know, gold?

At any rate - purchasing things at market value to gear up to tank INFINITE mobs in act 4 inferno would easily cost 100,000,000+ gold at this point. This will drop - but as of now the ridiculous discussion that was started in the first place still ends with over 100 million gold spent.

Opiate

But I love having astronomical IAS to increase my DPS. :(

No room for Bat in my build though, still run SS/Caltrops/Shadow Power/Prep, with Hungering/Elemental Arrow. The only thing that makes me angry in Act III now are the constant amount of birds shooting fireballs and the Lacuni/Frostclaw Burrower leap strikes that are invinicible.

Yes, this build definitely works well. It provides a defensive option for basically every situation.

Right now, there are times where Shadow Power is clearly the best option (Reflect Damage elites for example) while others where Smoke screen is (CC mobs with frozen/jailer etc) and caltrops definitely come in handy in many situations as well (I assume you're running tortured ground 2 second immobilize). I just don't find this as fun to play with only two offensive options, and am deliberately trying to make a build that I feel will work very late game even if it isn't optimal at this exact moment. I want to see what's possible.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don't understand the FCR-nerf. Can anyone explain?

Lothars

I'm saying the game will not last based on it's current design and feature sets. If enough compelling stuff gets added, maybe that will change.
Which is fine but I fully believe that it will change because there's presidence with previous games including D2 that shows change will happen with patches and expansions. I have no doubt in my mind that D3 will last as long as D2 unless we get a sequel in less than 10 years which is possible.

zlatko

Banned

I second this. I pretty much just want to complete the game on Inferno with a class, get at least 1 legendary to my name, and then later on I'll mess with the PVP a bit.

Awesome new games on the horizon I want, and a few games in my backlog to wrap up. Still need to finish Xenoblade. :p

Kyoufu

Not selling drops? Uh, that makes NO sense. Since you sell drops that counts as, you know, gold?

At any rate - purchasing things at market value to gear up to tank INFINITE mobs in act 4 inferno would easily cost 100,000,000+ gold at this point. This will drop - but as of now the ridiculous discussion that was started in the first place still ends with over 100 million gold spent.

You're saying I have to open up the AH and buy the Stormshield for 40 million gold instead of buying one on the battle.net trade forum or d2jsp for 12-20 mil?

I guess by that method, every class costs bajillions.

jinutsu

Neo Member
quite honestly folks, do you see diablo 3 lasting as long as dibalo 2 in terms of replayability?

And a large part of that for me is that I don't have to completely re-level my character to do a new build. Another factor is that my gear can be more easily transferred between characters. I like these changes but I do think it will hurt the game in the long run in terms of how long the "hardcore" players stay around.

Opiate

I don't understand the FCR-nerf. Can anyone explain?

DHs and Wizards were capable of achieving ridiculous DPS results with IAS. Trust me as a DH: it can get out of hand. I calculated something like 130k dps for me if I added on 40% more IAS, which I could have done by going glass cannon but chose not to because I thought it would be nerfed and I didn't want to go "cookie cutter". 150k dps was easily achievable as a DH if you stacked IAS significantly enough with no percievable diminishing returns.

Cipherr

Damage nerf with more players seems excessive as HELL. I mean, no more damage increase at all? They couldnt just tone it down a bit? They have to remove it entirely? Jesus...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DHs and Wizards were capable of achieving ridiculous DPS results with IAS. Trust me as a DH: it can get out of hand. I calculated something like 130k dps for me if I added on 40% more IAS, which I could have done by going glass cannon but chose not to because I thought it would be nerfed and I didn't want to go "cookie cutter". 150k dps was easily achievable as a DH if you stacked IAS significantly enough with no percievable diminishing returns.
Oh my. And how are these diminishing returns going to work? I have x2 rings with 10%, Glove with 12%, Boots with 7% and weapon with 21%... how will it get nerfed?

Kyoufu

Damage nerf with more players seems excessive as HELL. I mean, no more damage increase at all? They couldnt just tone it down a bit? They have to remove it entirely? Jesus...

It never made sense to begin with, because monsters do enough damage as it is.

It's absolutely counter-productive when instead you're supposed to be ENCOURAGING players to play co-operatively in an online only game.

KKRT00

Some great changes for patch 1.0.3, so why so late Blizzard?

Change of loot table and damage/health of higher act monsters is something i was screaming since my day on Inferno and it should be like that on launch.
Lack of damage scaling in coop is really nice addition, but i think it makes a game much easier, they should just decrease damage boost, not take it away completely. But maybe they are compensating that with other features, like more mobs etc.

Dont like Attack Speed change at all, because its against my Monk's build.

Gem crafting change is useless for softcore, because flawless drops are common, so there is no need to use lower gems now.

Repair cost change is great one, it should be much higher from the start.

Nephalem change is also good one.

Oh my. And how are these diminishing returns going to work? I have x2 rings with 10%, Glove with 12%, Boots with 7% and weapon with 21%... how will it get nerfed?

Weapons wont have attack speed bonus at all. That means that i wont be able to use any other weapon than dagger on my Monk's build, without using some legendary item with attack speed on other slot then jewellery/gloves

Narag

This is the tiniest of complaints, but I really wish that when I fat fingered my bat hotkey -- or when I switched pets to ferret, which I do on more easily farmable content -- the bat did not die in a bloody explosion. It makes me feel like I killed my faithful best friend.

I thought the same when I was refreshing ferrets the other day. Felt bad for the exploding bat since his end is so violent.

Petrie

Banned
And a large part of that for me is that I don't have to completely re-level my character to do a new build. Another factor is that my gear can be more easily transferred between characters. I like these changes but I do think it will hurt the game in the long run in terms of how long the "hardcore" players stay around.

That's fine. Us slightly less "hardcore" players will be having fun for years to come.

Mitama

Yes, this build definitely works well. It provides a defensive option for basically every situation.

Right now, there are times where Shadow Power is clearly the best option (Reflect Damage elites for example) while others where Smoke screen is (CC mobs with frozen/jailer etc) and caltrops definitely come in handy in many situations as well (I assume you're running tortured ground 2 second immobilize). I just don't find this as fun to play with only two offensive options, and am deliberately trying to make a build that I feel will work very late game even if it isn't optimal at this exact moment. I want to see what's possible.

Are you able to take a hit from act 3 mobs without shadow power active? I would really love to keep my current build since I've grown accustomed to only getting a single shot per mob and I'd love to know the amount of vitality and resistance to all that a DH would need to make that happen in acts 3 and 4. I'd try it out myself but I simply do not have any gear with decent dex, vit and resistance to all.

Bakphoon

I just wonder why Blizzard patched today. Coulnd't they wait until tomorrow? Or will be tomorrow no downtime because it was patched today?

balddemon

Banned
wow i like those changes upcoming in 1.0.3. specifically the inferno multiplayer nerf. now i won't feel like kicking my friends lol

Kyoufu

I just wonder why Blizzard patched today. Coulnd't they wait until tomorrow? Or will be tomorrow no downtime because it was patched today?

As far as I've experienced, downtime on Battle.net is usually on Tuesdays/Wednesdays. Don't see them having one tomorrow (unless servers are messed up or something).

Quite the penny.

I imagine it would take me a few weeks to save up enough to get that kind of coin.

Yes but remember, progression in a loot game means you're bound to find loot that you can use, upgrades, etc. So along the way, while you're farming your 60 million gold to buy a full set of fantastic gear, you'll find you only need 50% of it.

At least, this is how my experience has been. I only need a few pieces and I haven't spent more than 6 million gold.

Mitama

Diminishing returns is probably not how they'll nerf it though. In the patch notes, they mention that they'll probably just lower the max attack speed for all slots. I wonder if they'll just retro-actively lower all the current items or if you can keep them.

Cipherr

Are the servers down right now? It says I need to patch but I cannot.

Edit: Ahh I see, maintenance.

Some great changes for patch 1.0.3, so why so late Blizzard?

Game barely just came out. Hasnt even been a month man. I mean I have logged a ton of hours too, so I know where you are coming from, but from a game patch perspective (especially considering this is Blizzard) this didn't take very long at all.

Yoshichan

Do we know when the patch is coming?

balddemon

Banned

wait so 1.0.3 just happened and that's what my game is downloading now?

edit: oh sorry 1.0.2b is being applied now til 1cst :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom