• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damage nerf with more players seems excessive as HELL. I mean, no more damage increase at all? They couldnt just tone it down a bit? They have to remove it entirely? Jesus...

What a melee character could normally engage becomes insurmountable once enough people join. I mean, I don't have a melee character at 60 yet (working on it), but I imagine it'd be quite infuriating as the gear requirement ramps up like that and you'll be looking like that little kid getting chased by chickens.

What kind of ridiculous gear would it take to tank 4 player damage mobs in Act 3? I don't want to know

Opiate

Are you able to take a hit from act 3 mobs without shadow power active? I would really love to keep my current build since I've grown accustomed to only getting a single shot per mob and I'd love to know the amount of vitality and resistance to all that a DH would need to make that happen in acts 3 and 4. I'd try it out myself but I simply do not have any gear with decent dex, vit and resistance to all.

It depends on the mob. Mostly yes, I tank more than one shot. Elite soul rippers still one shot me, but it's getting close already -- with increasingly better gear it's definitley possible. Many Act IV elites still do with their charge or special abilities.

Regular mobs of all types are not 1 shotting me, I don't think. Maybe executioners with their really slow, wind up attack could still 1 shot me, but I absolutely have a significantly higher margin for error than the DH friends I play with who have built full glass cannon.

Yes but remember, progression in a loot game means you're bound to find loot that you can use, upgrades, etc. So along the way, while you're farming your 60 million gold to buy a full set of fantastic gear, you'll find you only need 50% of it.

At least, this is how my experience has been. I only need a few pieces and I haven't spent more than 6 million gold.

ok. trying to stay positive! Seems like so much gold when the most I've had at any point in all my hours of gameplay was about 2.5 million gold.

feels really daunting. I still have good gear, but it's nowhere near what I need on the defensive end. Need moar resist, basically. Can probably afford nothing anymore. I haven't even logged in to look at the AH in a week and now I'm afraid to for fear of discouragement.

Been away playing Dota2.

Woo-Fu

Banned
People need to stop making the d2 vs d3 lifetime comparison, at least when not taking into account the changes to the environment in question.

The world in which D2 + LoD was released no longer exists.

No game lasts as long as they used to, regardless of quality or design. Part of it is due to how much faster information is disseminated. A game is released, a day later you have video walkthroughs of every major fight posted on youtube.

Another part of it is that we have more great games to play than ever before, on multiple platforms, including many that are timesinks due to leveling/farming aspects.

Simply stated, I don't think it is possible to make a game like Diablo 2 today and make it last as long as D2 did. The world has changed.

Opiate

People need to stop making the d2 vs d3 lifetime comparison, at least when not taking into account the changes to the environment in question.

The world in which D2 + LoD was released no longer exists.

No game lasts as long as they used to, regardless of quality or design. Part of it is due to how much faster information is disseminated. A game is released, a day later you have video walkthroughs of every major fight posted on youtube.

Another part of it is that we have more great games to play than ever before, on multiple platforms, including many that are timesinks due to leveling/farming aspects.

Simply stated, I don't think it is possible to make a game like Diablo 2 today and make it last as long as D2 did. The world has changed.

While people have pointed out disadvantages to the D3 longevity (and environmental ones like you have here), I really feel people aren't taking the AH in to account, along with more diverse PvP systems (from the sound of it, at least). These will absolutely increase the longevity of the game, as it was primarly traders and PvPers which kept the game alive for years on end. Despite protestations to the contrary, it was not the "loot whores" who kept the game going. They were and still are important to the game, but they weren't the people primarily responsible for keeping the game alive from 2005-2011.

Raxus

Damage nerf with more players seems excessive as HELL. I mean, no more damage increase at all? They couldnt just tone it down a bit? They have to remove it entirely? Jesus...

As a melee player I appreciate this. There is more than enough to worry about from elites alone than just their regular attacks and they do plenty of damage even with resist gear. I don't want to join a friends game and feel like I hindered his progress as well (sorry Shouta :( )

I like most of the changes overall. I dunno how the IAS nerf will effect everyone overall but it is nice to know I can sell off level 20 items that have attack speed on them since I can't afford a level 60 with IAS.

Artanisix

30% Stormshield is 16 million at the very most. Justice Lantern is 3-5 million. HoC with Socket and All Resists is 9 million tops.

So 30 million for 3 slots, sounds fair.

As a melee player I appreciate this. There is more than enough to worry about from elites alone than just their regular attacks and they do plenty of damage even with resist gear. I don't want to join a friends game and feel like I hindered his progress as well

Agreed. Felt ashamed that I could easily do Belial solo but as soon as I brought in Conceptor and friends, I couldn't tank anything as I simply took too much damage.

zlatko

Banned
GsLGn.jpg

I found a picture of Yoshi's gaming set up for D3.

Cipherr

then stop dying , lol

Honestly its probably going to boost the amount of people doing Act 1 inferno runs instead of rez body rushing down Act 2 packs, and it will drastically increase the value of "Ignores Durability Loss" gear more than likely.

I already have a bit of a glass cannon IgnoreDurability + Magic Find set. As soon as the servers recover Im going to quickly go grab any upgrades for that set that ignore durability as soon as possible.

As a melee player I appreciate this. There is more than enough to worry about from elites alone than just their regular attacks and they do plenty of damage even with resist gear. I don't want to join a friends game and feel like I hindered his progress as well (sorry Shouta :( )

I like most of the changes overall. I dunno how the IAS nerf will effect everyone overall but it is nice to know I can sell off level 20 items that have attack speed on them since I can't afford a level 60 with IAS.

I suppose.... I just feel like maybe a few percentage points of an increase would not have been a big deal. 1% for each extra member or something. But I suppose this does drastically increase the group value of my tanking monk.

1.02b Patch Notes - NSFW (cursing)

AH: You can sell damaged items. Once bought and sent to stash they are repaired. Unsold items do not auto repair.

General: You can't skip entire acts (I assume this means difficulty skipping as well)

Mac: Performance issues.

Barbarian: Some kind of glitch that causes the player to crash when different skills trigger each other (critical hits). No idea what that is.

No idea how valid this video is. But I couldn't find the patch notes anywhere else.

Edit: Oh, and Enchantress: Charmed enemies can't kill NPCs.

Raxus

So yellow repairs cost around 4k gold, they want to change it to 16k-24k so 4 deaths = around 100k Haha what a stupid Idea I'm not made of money

Improved loot tables. You will have PLENTY of cash to deal with repairs (ideally). I make 100k easily on an Act I run and that is before the damage nerfs to mobs.

balddemon

Banned
Honestly its probably going to boost the amount of people doing Act 1 inferno runs instead of rez body rushing down Act 2 packs, and it will drastically increase the value of "Ignores Durability Loss" gear more than likely.

I already have a bit of a glass cannon IgnoreDurability + Magic Find set. As soon as the servers recover Im going to quickly go grab any upgrades for that set that ignore durability as soon as possible.
yeah i know for sure i'm not gonna attempt act 1 inferno anymore until i get some more gold for better gear.
1.02b Patch Notes - NSFW (cursing)

AH: You can sell damaged items. Once bought and sent to stash they are repaired. Unsold items do not auto repair.

General: You can't skip entire acts (I assume this means difficulty skipping as well)

Mac: Performance issues.

Barbarian: Some kind of glitch that causes the player to crash when different skills trigger each other (critical hits). No idea what that is.

No idea how valid this video is. But I couldn't find the patch notes anywhere else.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5573705607#2

Cipherr

Man the more I think about it the more Im convinced that ignore durability will be a stat people might enjoy seeing on a well itemized piece. You could probably have full red repair bills that top 20k fairly easily. If you are working on progression, IgnDur could potentially save you a lot of money.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5578594951#1

DTKT

Improved loot tables. You will have PLENTY of cash to deal with repairs (ideally). I make 100k easily on an Act I run and that is before the damage nerfs to mobs.

That's in coop. Not solo play.

I really dislike the change to the repair costs.

scy

@Increased Attack Speed: They'll probably just lower the maximum values you can roll on items. Probably to avoid things like people like me reaching 3 APS :(

Anustart

But Diablo 2 is still being played by many which seems to insinuate that people still will stick with a game for a long time.

inky

Did you try the official Diablo page?

Diablo III Patch 1.0.2b - v.1.0.2.9950

The latest client patch notes can be found here.
Visit our Bug Report forum for a list of known issues.
Hotfixes made in addition to changes in patch 1.0.2b can be found here.

General
When logging into Diablo III, the "Cancel" button which appears in the login checkbox will now be grayed out for 30 seconds after a Battle.net account name and password are entered. This is to reduce server load during the login process.

Auction House
Damaged items can now be sold on the auction houseOnce sold, damaged items will be repaired automatically when moved from the purchasing player's Completed tab to their stash
Please note that unsold damage items will not be automatically repaired when returned to the seller's stash
Description messages for several auction house-related errors have been added

Mac
Several Mac performance improvements have been made

Bug Fixes

General
It is no longer possible to skip entire Acts in a multiplayer game

Classes

Barbarian
Active Skills - Fixed a bug that was allowing certain barbarian skills to continuously trigger each other's critical strikes, to the point of causing the player to crash. To address this crash, the following skill and skill rune combinations can no longer be triggered by each other's critical strikes:
Battle Rage (Skill Rune – Bloodshed)
Cleave (Skill Rune – Rupture and Skill Rune – Scattering Blast)
Hammer of the Ancients (Skill Rune – Thunder Strike)
Wrath of the Berserker (Skill Rune – Slaughter)

Followers
Monsters who are charmed by the Enchantress’s skill “Mass Confusion” can no longer kill event NPCs

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5578594951

Deadly

Fuck I knew I should have told my friend to finish nightmare for me :lol Actually going to have to finish it entirely now...

Mitama

@Increased Attack Speed: They'll probably just lower the maximum values you can roll on items. Probably to avoid things like people like me reaching 3 APS :(

If they don't change the current items, then people with IAS equips are sitting on gold.

Cipherr

Look on the bright side, you might have a reason to pick up squares again.

I never stopped, they are flooding my first tab of my shared stash because they dont stack nearly high enough. I cant wait for that patch, Im going to gain a truckload of space once I combine all of those.

Woo-Fu

Banned
But Diablo 2 is still being played by many which seems to insinuate that people still will stick with a game for a long time.

I'm sure there is a subset of the audience that will do that for just about any game. You can't really use them to judge a game, though, can you?

I'm sure there are people who still play Blood 2.

EDIT: Updater downloading patch now. (NA). Now you can advance to error 33. :)

scy

So yellow repairs cost around 4k gold, they want to change it to 16k-24k so 4 deaths = around 100k Haha what a stupid Idea I'm not made of money

My full repair bill is like 5k Gold. 1 Death is not a 4k gold repair bill :/

Why are they adjusting prices up to flawless square?, the only thing I have a problem with is everything AFTER that

Because all the complaints they were targeting were that Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting were absolutely useless from 1-59. They WANT it to be a huge gold sink for everything after Flawless Square (and, really, up to Star isn't that bad considering some of the jumps; +65 Life on Hit -> 300, for instance, on Amethysts).

TommyT

Right I just read some people speculating the same. So it'll make the current +ASPD items go up even more.

Why are they adjusting prices up to flawless square?, the only thing I have a problem with is everything AFTER that

It takes 2 gems instead of 3 now at least. Anyway, you don't really need high tier gems for anything but your weapons as the bonuses when slotted into armour are marginal. I plan on making a Star Amethyst and an Emerald for my Monk and DH which should take about 100K each after 1.03 provided I can start from Flawless Squares.

While I'd really like a 600 life on hit gem, I think it'd take me longer to farm for all the gem plans than it would to get the necessary gold.

inky

Spoken like a true ranged character.

probably :p

It takes 2 gems instead of 3 now at least. Anyway, you don't really need high tier gems for anything but your weapons as the bonuses when slotted into armour are marginal.

Life % isn't, so that's another one.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Are there any standard tips that you guys commonly use?

I am towards the end of act 1 Inferno.

For Instance,

By Hit points do you mean Life? I am roughly 45k.

Are magic and gold finds around 80% each about right? Seems like I only find blue magic items.

Just how important is resistance over vitality? Example, I could have an item with +100Vital with only physical resistance or I can use one that does +30Vital , +30physical, and +20 all Resistance. Not really sure where to draw the line because the game system that compares items seems to under value resistance

My 2 Handed Mace gives me 18K DPS. My 2 Axes(one in each hand) give me only 11k but also +320 Vitality and +100 Strength over the 2 handed mace. Basically go from 1050 Vital to 1400.

scy

Right I just read some people speculating the same. So it'll make the current +ASPD items go up even more.

Hahaha, they HAVE to retroactively fix this one. Leaving it alone just isn't possible.

Man, maybe I am going to bid aggressively for that 3M Flavor of Time I saw last night.

Raxus

I really they brought in the chapter skip mechanic into patch 1.03 seeing as I still haven't gotten past Act 2 inferno.

TommyT

Hahaha, they HAVE to retroactively fix this one. Leaving it alone just isn't possible.

Man, maybe I am going to bid aggressively for that 3M Flavor of Time I saw last night.

Just like they're going go retro fix legendaries right?!

Macmanus

You're saying I have to open up the AH and buy the Stormshield for 40 million gold instead of buying one on the battle.net trade forum or d2jsp for 12-20 mil?

I guess by that method, every class costs bajillions.

Not bajillions. Stop re-framing the original statement that you (incorrectly) disagreed with.

To outfit a barbarian to tank an infinite number of mobs in act IV inferno, you are looking to spend 100,000,000+ gold. Exceptions would be finding amazing deals or having friends help outfit you - but for the average player with the goal to achieve this feat that I don't believe has even been achieved yet - you will easily spend that much gold.

edit: I just realized this is a stupid argument and in general I'm just kind of stupid. I should probably get back to work.

scy

Right. But with them nerfing future drops, the value of current drops will just skyrocket which doesn't really fix the problem. It just means my Wizard will be on a build that all future Wizards cannot aspire to.

Same situation as Legendaries, sure, but buffing Legendaries rather than nerfing them means it's "just" devaluing current ones; nerfing IAS means that all current ones will be stockpiled and essentially nothing will change until supply runs out (which it never will as those items, theoretically, never leave circulation).

Not bajillions. Stop re-framing the original statement that you (incorrectly) disagreed with.

To outfit a barbarian to tank an infinite number of mobs in act IV inferno, you are looking to spend 100,000,000+ gold. Exceptions would be finding amazing deals or having friends help outfit you - but for the average player with the goal to achieve this feat that I don't believe has even been achieved yet - you will easily spend that much gold.

Why are we using "infinite" as a barometer rather than "reasonable average encounter"? Tanking the average expected encounter is doable in far less than all of the gold. I do agree that Barbs and Monks need substantially more gold (or more RNG ritual sacrifices) than the other classes. My Wizard is only sporting like 5M Gold worth of equipment? 2M of which is her MH/OH combination? Yeah, not that bad.

If they don't change the current items, then people with IAS equips are sitting on gold.

Yeah if they don't retroactively change them (which is a bad enough trend itself) it's going to set a bad precedent. Suppose they find other stats they think are too strong as time goes on, so they start reducing the LOH from gems or items, you do this a few times with different stats, and suddenly you've created a whole tier of items new players will never able to get. That puts people who got in at launch at an incredible advantage over everyone else, as it's not simply a matter of farming or buying comparable items, you can never get items that would be as good as theirs.

MrDaravon

Opiate, I'm glad to see that DH build working out for you. It reads like more or less what I want to do, but I wasn't sure it was viable, it seemed super costly, and I don't even have Nether Tentacles yet. But long term that's way more appealing to me than playing a glass cannon (which I generally dislike in games) so I'll probably go in that direction once I have the funds and whatnot. Good shit!

Neki

If they retroactively fix IAS and not legendaries, I'm going to be super confused.

They're probably going to have harsher diminishing returns on IAS.

Kyoufu

edit: I just realized this is a stupid argument and in general I'm just kind of stupid. I should probably get back to work.

I guess I'm fortunate then. I'll be spending around 35 million at the most.

pigeon

Banned

In both cases, their goal is to avoid items abruptly increasing in value -- that's why they won't fix old legendaries (which would make them jump way up), but they will retroactively nerf old attack speed (since otherwise THOSE would jump even higher since they'll be irreplaceable). Why this is their specific economic goal I'm not totally sure, but it was the clear implication of the first decision and it's carried through in this one as well.

edit: That said, I think the diminishing returns option is less disruptive economically and more interesting from a design perspective.

TommyT

Right. But with them nerfing future drops, the value of current drops will just skyrocket which doesn't really fix the problem. It just means my Wizard will be on a build that all future Wizards cannot aspire to.

Same situation as Legendaries, sure, but buffing Legendaries rather than nerfing them means it's "just" devaluing current ones; nerfing IAS means that all current ones will be stockpiled and essentially nothing will change until supply runs out (which it never will as those items, theoretically, never leave circulation).

Hey I agree with what you're saying and all... but from what they're saying it doesn't seem like what they're doing:

We’re currently leaning toward the first solution, to simply reduce the value on items, but we’d be interested to read people’s thoughts on the problem.

It doesn't say one way or the other as to what they're going to do in a retroactive situation sure, so I'm just going off what they're doing with things previously.

Should they? Yes. Are they? StewieLet'sGetEstimates.gif

If they retroactively fix IAS and not legendaries, I'm going to be super confused.

Yeah, it is going to be with the game mechanics of IAS. I doubt they will just go and remove IAS from certain items. If I am wrong...they better implement a ladder system in 1.03.

Ferrio

Banned

Sounds like the best fix actually. Won't be legacy items, and you may not notice the changes if you don't stack IAS like mad.

scy

It's to avoid suddenly spiking item value (though I guess suddenly devaluing everything is alright).

And IAS has no diminishing returns :x It's just:

Weapon Attacks per Second * (1 + All Armor IAS Sources)

Edit: Well, I guess it has DR in the same sense that +Attributes do for Damage.

Hey I agree with what you're saying and all... but from what they're saying it doesn't seem like what they're doing:

It doesn't say one way or the other as to what they're going to do in a retroactive situation sure, so I'm just going off what they're doing with things previously.

Should they? Yes. Are they? StewieLet'sGetEstimates.gif

See, I run an Attack Speed build and I'm hoping they nerf the shit out of my current equipment :x I'd hate to be "one of the few" who can use the build I run simply by virtue of deciding to run it at launch week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom