• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaptruder

Banned
I'm fairly upset that they're nerfing the difficulty of inferno -- it was already too easy for my preferences, as already discussed.

Everything else sounds great. Repair cost increase is a welcome change to improve gold sinks and fight inflation; gear drops in act I are great simply so people can progress more smoothly and because it provides an incentive to still farm act I even in end game, so that not everyone crams in to act III/IV finding the "optimal" run and doing nothing but that until the end of time; changes to crafters are small but good; the nephalem valor change is great and further reduces the highly repetitive farm-baal-until-the-end-of-time approach.

The big issue left undiscussed is obviously bots. They can single handedly ruin this game if not addressed in some manner, and no amount of gold sinks will stop inflation if bots are running wild. So we'll see what happens.

They should make an inferno classic difficulty for peeps like you.

Maybe, give you guys better cash drops to compensate.

Dahbomb

Life on hit/lifesteal; armor/resist/hp. Those aren't surprising for anyone building defense. Then I add on shadow power + gloom instead of smoke screen, which gives me 65% damage reduction for 18 seconds straight with a full discipline bar and preparation up.

I also use guardian senty on occassion and for progression, which grants an additional 15% DR for a total of 80% DR before armor/resists are even considered (I don't think this will be needed long term; I can already tank with just shadow power in many cases). It definitely works, but as I said, is more gear dependant than is the current smoke-screen-and-hope-to-blow-everything-up-before-you-blow-up build.
Interesting, I sort of expected it to be a Shadow Power + Life steal with Sentry build. Curious to know what your other skills are, Nether Tentacles, Mark of Death and Hungering Arrow maybe?

linsivvi

I just want to emphasize that you'll need gear for this, as in late game inferno, even 65% DR is not enough on its own. I'm at ~300 resist all at the moment, and I only recently became able to just stand there and tank Act III inferno mortar shots with 300 resist + 65% DR + lifesteal.

Keep in mind that shadow power and nether tentacles (which I use) give 40% lifesteal or 8% in Inferno, which is still a great deal when you're doing huge amounts of damage. I also have 200 life on hit. Combined, my regen is very substantial and I tank something like a monk, where I take big shots that I can then rapidly regenerate.

As a final note, physical resist is a very big friend of this build.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I don't mind farming gears for a bit even though Act 3 farming is a pain for me right now but it's not like there's anything else to do at the moment.

Mitama

I will, but I'm currently at work. I can fit in some GAF posts, but Diablo is definitely a no-no. I get home at 6PM EST/3PM PST, so I'll post then.

And yes, I haven't used smoke screen since early act II inferno and I have skipped a total of 5 elite packs, so I'm not even playing the cheese-my-way-to-the-end game. I'm doing this as legitimately as I can. It has required a substantial amount of Act I farming to get gold/money to buy loot on the AH, though.

Thanks, looking forward to it! Yeah, I've cleared all the acts up until act 4 also (I do skip reflect damage elites though, but that's all). From act 3 onwards it's getting really hard to not die as often; the goats with spears from act 3 hit extremely fast so from time to time they pop up on the screen and just 1-shot me, not to mention soul rippers who can destroy you even faster... Same with the corrupted angels in act 4 but that's about it. I've managed to do just fine so far and even just being able to take a single hit would be huge for my build.

Because of my 49 discipline, I can just time smoke screens, then get off a lot of nether tentacles and plant 3 spike traps that hit them all at once right when the tentacles start to hit them which deals an insane amount of damage through crits. That's just with a 9XX dps bow too, so I can't even wait for a bow with even more dps, crit damage and a socket for extra critical damage! :D

Anyone else use spike traps aside from Ferrio? I've found them to be incredibly useful and a real life saver.

I just saw the 1.03 patch note, wow that's a big huge cost reduction for crafting. I want my gold back!!

Overall I like the change they are planning especially drop rate and co-op damage buff on the monster.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
1.0.3 seems to be huge... some good decisions in there, and some bad ones.

GJS

A quick estimate of the new resources required to make 1 radiant star using chipped gems.

93312 chipped gems, 11664 pages of jewelcrafting, 2916 tombs of jewelcrafting, 1631 tombs of secrets, 17,558,030 gold

I haven't double checked anything.

This is what it is currently:

1,594,323 chipped gems, 32,805 pages of jewelcrafting, 3,645 tombs of jewelcrafting, 1,631 tombs of secrets, and 581,104,000 gold

On another note, with repair costs increasing 4-6x people might start losing money farming inferno. I can farm most elites and champions in act 1 without dying, but there are still some groups which can kill me, so I would have to skip those rather then persist and die too much. I would rather they don't push people towards things such as breaking ashes in the royal crypt.

Artanisix

Sweet, now I can lose a couple hundred thousand gold trying to farm 2% drops.

If you're dying so much in A1 Inferno that you're going to need to spend several hundred thousand in repair bills then you need to take a step back and farm Hell or farm gold for some low-end items.

I don't know about "OP" but a geared Barb can sit in packs of a bajillion Act 4 mobs and not die.

Yes and so can Opiate's Demon Hunter. A PROPERLY geared (read: not glass cannon) anything can sit around and tank.

Haint

If you're dying so much in A1 Inferno that you're going to need to spend several hundred thousand in repair bills then you need to take a step back and farm Hell or farm gold for some low-end items.

Yes and so can Opiate's Demon Hunter. A PROPERLY geared (read: not glass cannon) anything can sit around and tank.

At 6x increase that's like 3-5 deaths for over 100k in repairs for full 60 regalia...

I'm such a point and click movement noob.

I saw people moving without clicking on streams recently and in the keybindings I saw move in addition to move/attack.

I thought I needed to bind the second move so I could move the character without clicking.

But all I need to do is hold my left mouse button down.

Can you believe I got to inferno act 2 solely by click moving as melee?

Kyoufu

The gear needed to do that would cost hundreds of millions of gold.

No it wouldn't
KuGsj.gif

A PROPERLY geared (read: not glass cannon) anything can sit around and tank.

Pretty sure Opiate's Demon Hunter can't tank a pack of 50 mobs and live.

garath

So min/max for a DH, 2 handed xbow is the way to go?

I'm a young DH at 33 but looking long term. Right now I have a 2h bow that does pretty well for me. Before that I was using a 1h xbow and quiver.

inky

So patch 1.0.3 looks like what the game should've been on release. That means they'll probably delay it to next month or something.

Woo-Fu

Banned
You don't have to be Nostradamus to figure out what classes are mained by the people who don't want the difficulty curve smoothed out in Inferno. You guys worried about your cash flow?

eek5

No it wouldn't
KuGsj.gif

I have 10k armor 1k resist with 48k hp 36% block, 15% dodge, 20% strings of ears + another 4% from bracers and I can barely tank a group of white mobs in solo a3. lol

The only upgrades for me cost 5 to 20 million gold a piece...

Artanisix

No it wouldn't
KuGsj.gif

It will cost millions on millions though.

Pretty sure Opiate's Demon Hunter can't tank a pack of 50 mobs and live.

Doesn't have to tank 50 mobs when he kills half of them from range. And if he can take the hits and has a reliable lifesteal then what's it matter? Barbs have to depend on shitty RNG revenge to get health back, and let me tell you, it completely sucks against bosses or those small elite packs that have spikey damage.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
quite honestly folks, do you see diablo 3 lasting as long as dibalo 2 in terms of replayability?

No, and a large part of that reason is the boring itemization and how it relates to the skill system. D2 could keep you farming forever for interesting uniques/runewords that you could base an entire character/build around. D3 has nowhere near that kind of loot/build interaction or diversity, and the items themselves are less exciting to hunt for due to how streamlined the whole system is.

scy

They should make an inferno classic difficulty for peeps like you.

Maybe, give you guys better cash drops to compensate.

Eh, Inferno itself isn't hard. What was difficult was the loot progression to gear it. Once you hit that gear, the "difficulty" plummets. It's almost binary; that few extra mitigation% or thousand HP or thousand DPS or whatever and all of sudden, things just trivialize.

Honestly, changing the gear drops is more than enough barring maybe a few crazy instances (Lacuni's and off-screen charges should do less damage, basically).

At 6x increase that's like 3-5 deaths for over 100k in repairs for full 60 regalia...

Broken gear costs me 5k to repair; a 6x increase is 30k. That's 10 deaths, for the record.

Then again, I'm not entirely Level 60 gear right now.

You don't have to be Nostradamus to figure out what classes are mained by the people who don't want the difficulty curve smoothed out in Inferno. You guys worried about your cash flow?

Eh? My main is a Monk.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Now I see people wanting cold resist gear... wtf?!

Might be because of the monk skill that gives them all resists for just one resist. I think most monks were picking physical resist for that so stuff with phys resist or phys+all skyrocketed. Meanwhile the other resists stayed reasonably priced.

Expect your local monk to pick resist fire or resist cold instead in the near future, just to save money at the AH.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
quite honestly folks, do you see diablo 3 lasting as long as dibalo 2 in terms of replayability?
I haven't played D2, but it looks like it got one expansion a year later that added new classes, improved some stuff, and one act?

They announced two expansions for D3?

Maybe they would add multiple acts per?

Mitama

So min/max for a DH, 2 handed xbow is the way to go?

I'm a young DH at 33 but looking long term. Right now I have a 2h bow that does pretty well for me. Before that I was using a 1h xbow and quiver.

Not necessarily. It really depends on the bow or xbow you got. For example, I have a bow that has 9XX dps and +5X% crit damage and it does more damage than my 1116 DPS xbow which has an inherent +50% crit damage thanks to archery. You'll do fine with a bow but ideally, you'd get a pretty high crit chance, then get a 2h xbow with crit dmg, ias and a socket for even more crit dmg.

Kyoufu

I have 10k armor 1k resist with 48k hp 36% block, 15% dodge, 20% strings of ears + another 4% from bracers and I can barely tank a group of white mobs in solo a3. lol

The only upgrades for me cost 5 to 20 million gold a piece...

I have way less gear than you and I can tank act 3 white mobs...

There are even videos of Barbs farming Act 3 and 4 without "hundreds of millions of gold"

Act 3 for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak6mhFXmDSc&feature=relmfu

Yeah, he's geared, but his most expensive piece is a Stormshield. His total set doesn't even reach 50 million let alone 100+

So much hyperbole here.

Lothars

No, and a large part of that reason is the boring itemization and how it relates to the skill system. D2 could keep you farming forever for interesting uniques/runewords that you could base an entire character/build around. D3 has nowhere near that kind of loot/build interaction or diversity, and the items themselves are less exciting to hunt for due to how streamlined the whole system is.
Your comparing Diablo 2 expansion to vanilla D3, D2 vanilla had tons of issues as well and they were straightened out into D2X, I have no doubt with the patches and expansions that D3 will last as long as D2.

Insaniac

Any wizard players? I would really like an opinion on the hydra variants. Right now it seems like arcane hydra is the best followed by venom hydra. Mammoth hydra sounded so cool but once I unlocked it it seemed very underpowered :(

garath

Not necessarily. It really depends on the bow or xbow you got. For example, I have a bow that has 9XX dps and +5X% crit damage and it does more damage than my 1116 DPS xbow which has an inherent +50% crit damage thanks to archery. You'll do fine with a bow but ideally, you'd get a pretty high crit chance, then get a 2h xbow with crit dmg, ias and a socket for even more crit dmg.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. Good info :)

Dynoro

Any wizard players? I would really like an opinion on the hydra variants. Right now it seems like arcane hydra is the best followed by venom hydra. Mammoth hydra sounded so cool but once I unlocked it it seemed very underpowered :(

I adore venom hydra (grouped with a chill or freeze to keep mobs in place) but I'm not 60 yet so that may change a lot soon

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Your comparing Diablo 2 expansion to vanilla D3, D2 vanilla had tons of issues as well and they were straightened out into D2X

Sorry, I will never consider that a valid argument. LoD came out over a decade ago. It's features are absolutely fair game.

ShaneB

I've been sticking with lightning just because range/speed is never an issue. Throw down blizzard, and lightning hydra and it'll attack everything with no worries.

zlatko

Banned

I'm Monk and I feel it should stay the way it is, although I appreciate the co-op change.

Dahbomb

I said it before and I will say it again... Inferno isn't hard and never was. The gear check for some of the acts of Inferno are insanely higher than your previous difficulty/act especially from Act 1 to Act 2. It's like going into Act 2 Hell with lower level Nightmare gear, it's not going to be easy by any stretch of the imagination.

You have to put in the man hours into the game and then Inferno incrementally becomes easier over time. What Blizzard intends to do is to lower the gear check for Act 2/Act 3/Act 4 which makes the transition from Act 1 to Act 2 easier. Also I am pretty sure some of the values on some of the enemies in Act 2 are bugged, namely Lacunas. Remove their invincible lunge attack too, cheap as hell.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't know why anybody actually prefers the act 2 wall instead of a steady difficulty ramp up.

And yes, it isn't really difficulty, it is just required itemization. Fix the itemization(they're doing it) and make the ramp up curve a curve instead of a wall and it will be a better game. If you have complaints with overall difficulty of diablo3 or inferno in particular that isn't really what they're addressing. Act 3 and 4 shouldn't be getting any easier(although groups will start to regain some parity with soloing which IS a good thing).

Kyoufu

Oh ok. Did not realize your definition of tanking was to kite the high burst damage whites around and let tyrael kill them. I guess I can tank a3 afterall.

Here you go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XSxwug0mkdg#t=1858s

His gear doesn't cost hundreds of millions.

But it's ok, I guess you can believe what you want to believe.

And fyi, I have much inferior gear than you yet I don't rely on Tyrael to farm Act 3. Maybe you're just doing it wrong? /shrug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom