• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketch

Yes, radiant squares are the highest you get even in Act IV inferno. This change is supposed to help crafters be actually useful from 1-59; before now, there was effectively no reason whatsoever to level your jewelcrafter until you hit 60 and had plenty of resource on stuff to spend. It's a good change, but is probably not enough on its own to make JC worthwhile pre-60.

Meh, I've already been using my JC and BS a ton and i'm only up to act 2 hell. Seems like they are lowering the price on gems significantly which is great. Hope the BS sees the same thing.... often times I go through waaaay too much money trying to win that lottery.

Einbroch

Banned
But Inferno isn't meant for "normal people enjoying the game with a couple friends." It's meant for the hardcore, and that's why most will never see it.
If WoW has taught us anything, it's that Blizzard wants everyone to experience all the content eventually. Raids start out hard, then the next tier of items comes out and they reduce the badge price of the items that were hard to get just a month ago. Then people clear the content that was hard a month ago with ease.

Same thing with Diablo. They want everyone to clear Inferno, just like hard raids.

Anyone interested in doing some chest farming on Act 3 (Keeps Lvl 1) once servers are back up? I tried doing it on my own, but it seems more worth the time when done with others. Join the gaf mumble or PM me.

But Inferno isn't meant for "normal people enjoying the game with a couple friends." It's meant for the hardcore, and that's why most will never see it.

Hardcore is meant for the hardcore.

Inferno is meant as a challenge and giving it a stupidly ridiculous curve was an error, and they are working to fix it.

If Blizzard really wants to release something 'for the hardcore' they'll do what they did with D2: Add high end content AFTER release (i.e. Ubers) for those players who are still sticking around and looking for a new challenge.

Having rares drop from five NV stacks means that actually playing the game to find loot within a reasonable time frame (without playing D3 like it's your job) is feasible, and the AH isn't the literal only way to progress.

Overall, I like the changes.

New patch> try to login> new patch restart>Login>new patch restart>Login>new patch restart.

Login to NA> Servers down.

How about go fuck yourself D3.

Raxus

They're not nerfing it, they're smoothing it out. Right now, the ranged classes are dominating because stupid design decisions that totally keep 2 or the 5 classes from doing nearly as well. They're fixing that so the transition isn't totally abrupt and making it so that the glass cannons have to pay more for the benefit of killing stuff faster. It's an indirect nerf to the folks that can't keep themselves alive and bringing up the classes that needed a little extra help.

Basically you are going to have to do more than Zombie bears your way through inferno now and Monks and Barbarians don't have to do a cookie cutter with VERY expensive and very particular gear to get through Acts II-IV.

I know I am not geared to the teeth like some people in here but I think I have much more reasonable gear than most of the ranged classes and I still get my ass kicked. Even worse I can't even have my friends help me since it only hurts them more as well. Patch 1.03 will begin to balance things out and (hopefully) the 1.04 will work on class balance changes.

Anyway back to gearing my monk by leveling a WD :(

Shouta

Oh man, the Monk section of the Bnet forums are hilarious. They read that IAS was going to be changed a bunch of folks are like "They're nerfing Monk!"

plc268

Is it normal behavior that I don't have to use the authenticator everytime I log into Diablo 3?

When I log into SC2 and Blizzard's site, I have to use the authenticator every time, but I only had to use it once for Diablo 3.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is it normal behavior that I don't have to use the authenticator everytime I log into Diablo 3?

When I log into SC2 and Blizzard's site, I have to use the authenticator every time, but I only had to use it once for Diablo 3.

You can configure it to only auth when you change IP address or you can configure it to auth every time you login.

Raxus

Oh man, the Monk section of the Bnet forums are hilarious. They read that IAS was going to be changed a bunch of folks are like "They're nerfing Monk!"

haha. I never liked attack speed on the monk it was just necessary to keep up DPS and spirit which are both necessary for survival on inferno. Figures the one class I choose turns out to be the bitchiest. I should have stuck with my original plan to roll Wizard.

scy

The IAS nerf that was prefaced with a picture of a Crossbow and the line "Nice shootin'"?

Actually, that doesn't surprise me at all.

Ploid 3.0

I'm going to miss my super fast Poison Dart/splinters, though I'm going to love my pets that can survive better in inferno!

aznpxdd

Aww shit, I hope my auction didn't get fucked due to the maintenance. Had a legendary ring that was up to 2.5 mil bid yesterday with 10 hours left...hope I didn't get sniped due to the 8 hour maintenance...

1.0.3 sounds amazing, sad that it took this long. You know what they should have done? They should have had the difficulty like they describe in the 1.0.3 details, and then on top of that added a simple bonus mode or something for people that do want that insanely difficult bullshit-mode. Not part of the regular game or regular difficulty progression, just a side thing for fun to see if you can do it with your character.

Anyway, all those changes sound good.

It's very strange to me how disconnected the D3 team must be from the WoW team.

Normalization of Rage gains was something that WoW tackled a few years ago, yet D3 is dealing with attack speed as though it's a novel idea that faster attacks generating more spendable resources is powerful.

The IAS nerf that was prefaced with a picture of a Crossbow and the line "Nice shootin'"?

They're not even really nerfing IAS, they're just lowering the budget on IAS items. Combined with the decreased health of mobs in inferno, this is completely reasonable.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just how important is resistance over vitality? Example, I could have an item with +100Vital with only physical resistance or I can use one that does +30Vital , +30physical, and +20 all Resistance. Not really sure where to draw the line because the game system that compares items seems to under value resistance

In my opinion, it's almost always better to take less damage than it is to have more life.

Of course, it is a balancing act. If you already have a decent amount of resists and adding more resists from an item will reduce damage from a certain element by just 5%, you're probably better off going with 100 vitality, for example.

1.0.3 sounds amazing, sad that it took this long. You know what they should have done? They should have had the difficulty like they describe in the 1.0.3 details, and then on top of that added a simple bonus mode or something for people that do want that insanely difficult bullshit-mode. Not part of the regular game or regular difficulty progression, just a side thing for fun to see if you can do it with your character.

Anyway, all those changes sound good.

The people bitching about Inferno needing to be insanely difficult don't seem to understand that when you finish Hell, your character is right at level 60. That means "the game" is just starting at that point.

People want to have fun with their max level character that has all of the skills available, and they want there to be viable ways to experiment with those skills and builds. Why Blizzard decided to put a huge, discouraging brick wall in front of "the game" is a really strange decision, and I'm very glad that they are revisiting the decision.

scy

It's very strange to me how disconnected the D3 team must be from the WoW team.

Normalization of Rage gains was something that WoW tackled a few years ago, yet D3 is dealing with attack speed as though it's a novel idea that faster attacks generating more spendable resources is powerful.

Actually, they did mention they had things in the works for that and figured that DW with higher generation vs 2H output was the trade off. I guess somewhere they missed the memo of infinite generation kind of negates a per hit tradeoff when there's no cooldowns.

They're not even really nerfing IAS, they're just lowering the budget on IAS items. Combined with the decreased health of mobs in inferno, this is completely reasonable.

Yeah, I guess I should have said "nerf." We'll see how bad it becomes. I imagine Weapons and some Legendaries will still have 10%+ but most the Rings/Amulets/Gloves will probably be halved. Honestly, 15% per slot is a little outrageous.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How about chill the fuck out Johnlenham, they said it would be back up at 11 PDT, which is yet to arrive.

Nah im good cheers, Im abit tired of not being able to play my game because it stuck me on the NA servers instead of EU, Constantly gives me patches for the NA that allways seems to be down when I DO want to play and then because of said patches I cant login to my EU character.

Im not even set to NA servers and it made me patch, winds me up to no end.

Neki

Actually, they did mention they had things in the works for that and figured that DW with higher generation vs 2H output was the trade off. I guess somewhere they missed the memo of infinite generation kind of negates a per hit tradeoff when there's no cooldowns.

Yeah, I guess I should have said "nerf." We'll see how bad it becomes. I imagine Weapons and some Legendaries will still have 10%+ but most the Rings/Amulets/Gloves will probably be halved. Honestly, 15% per slot is a little outrageous.

I spent millions on IAS gear. :(

mr2xxx

Banned
My IAS on my WD is around 2.85 so I guess that is getting nerfed, oh well no more machine gun dart action. Not to bothered because I'm happy with the other changes mainly easier inferno group and better drops. I'm glad because single player grinding for chests or vases for hours upon hours was going to make me quit the damn game.

Ketch

Just went to the official forum to try and find a place to post some feedback on 1.03... I think normalizing the damage in coop for the easier difficulties will make them too easy.

But I can't figure out where to post... and between seeing all the "1.03=the death of gaming" and "use 3 words to say why D3 sucks" topics I suddenly lost interest.

Cipherr

Beaten but umm yeah:

0i8uH.png

RPGCrazied

Oh, look! Extended maintenance! It's patch day so I'm not really surprised. Read the 1.03 update, and repair costs going up by a lot sucks.

Cipherr

I don't remember anything about decreased Health. I remember decreased damage. If they nerf the health too then what the fuck.

Petrie

Banned
If WoW has taught us anything, it's that Blizzard wants everyone to experience all the content eventually. Raids start out hard, then the next tier of items comes out and they reduce the badge price of the items that were hard to get just a month ago. Then people clear the content that was hard a month ago with ease.

Same thing with Diablo. They want everyone to clear Inferno, just like hard raids.

I don't think it's quite the same, but sure.

Shouta

Just went to the official forum to try and find a place to post some feedback on 1.03... I think normalizing the damage in coop for the easier difficulties will make them too easy.

But I can't figure out where to post... and between seeing all the "1.03=the death of gaming" and "use 3 words to say why D3 sucks" topics I suddenly lost interest.

Perhaps if the team is smart about how they play, it'll be easier. But as it currently stands, co-op in inferno is ridiculous as a team. It nullifies the melee classes (Barb more than Monk) and makes the tank role utterly useless in Acts 3 and 4. Lowering the damage will allow for strategies to be used and melees to get in on it. Additionally, most DHs, Wiz, and WDs were already getting one-shotted anyway so it's not a big problem.

Opiate

The people bitching about Inferno needing to be insanely difficult don't seem to understand that when you finish Hell, your character is right at level 60. That means "the game" is just starting at that point.

People want to have fun with their max level character that has all of the skills available, and they want there to be viable ways to experiment with those skills and builds. Why Blizzard decided to put a huge, discouraging brick wall in front of "the game" is a really strange decision, and I'm very glad that they are revisiting the decision.

Mostly to increase the longevity of the game, I imagine -- although everyone agrees that the difficulty spikes are a bad thing, even if the difficulty level is debatable.

I think this is a poor choice for the long term health of the game, but the AH is likely to maintain an important sustaining tool, and PvP has yet to launch, so we'll see. As already stated, it is traders and PvPers which sustained D2 through most of its lifetime.

The repair cost increase is ridiculous... Trying to kill barbarian as a class for the general gamer

You also caught the part where they're decreasing the difficulty and giving higher quality drops from earlier acts right?

The idea is that right now you HAVE to skip way ahead to later acts to get useful gear, so you naturally die like it's going out of style, but under the new system you can get really high quality loot by doing stuff that you are well prepared for, and so you die as much.

The repair costs will take some getting used to at first, but I think it's a good change honestly.

The 3 changes in combination with each other go a long way towards encouraging people to only do content that they're geared for, but also providing the correct incentives to do so and strongly disincentivizing going ahead to content that you're not geared for.

Talon

Whoo lowered gem costs. Hoarding all those gems paid off. :D

Also, lowering enemy damage for co-op games is great. I was tired of getting one-hit in 4 player games.

theta11

Nah im good cheers, Im abit tired of not being able to play my game because it stuck me on the NA servers instead of EU, Constantly gives me patches for the NA that allways seems to be down when I DO want to play and then because of said patches I cant login to my EU character.

Im not even set to NA servers and it made me patch, winds me up to no end.

Sounds like you downloaded the NA client instead of the EU one.

Anustart

Does monster damage even scale in normal through hell?

As someone who is farming act 1 inferno now, the patch notes for the upcoming 1.0.3 sound amazing. I love the drop rate changes and the changes to the NV stacks. Garaunteed single yellow drops on elite packs w/ a 5 stack is amazing. It opens up a lot of room for farming.

The adjustment of difficulty sounds great too.

I do wish they would include the legendery item fix in it though. At least they're working on it.

The nerf on IAS doesn't sound as bad with all the other changes (smoother difficulty transitions / increased drop rates / Stack changes)

scy

I have str/dex/vit and resists on all my gear and stack IAS all over the place

I barely made it out of hell.... Inferno? I run from every blue I see

Health 30K, Armor 6K, DPS 14000

To be honest, those stats should be decimating Act 1 Inferno; my Monk had pretty much no trouble with it with far less.

Watching hardcore players stream is quite addicting.

Watching them die is hilarious. Because I'm a terrible person.

Ketch

Perhaps if the team is smart about how they play, it'll be easier. But as it currently stands, co-op in inferno is ridiculous as a team. It nullifies the melee classes (Barb more than Monk) and makes the tank role utterly useless in Acts 3 and 4. Lowering the damage will allow for strategies to be used and melees to get in on it. Additionally, most DHs, Wiz, and WDs were already getting one-shotted anyway so it's not a big problem.

Yea it sounds like a good change for inferno so you can actually play in a group. I really just mean the easier difficulties. My friend and I are playing through 2 player coop (Monk & WD), just about to finish nightmare, and we already spam fest, face roll everything... I was looking forward to hell because I figured it might actually be challenging... I think the damage output for mobs in normal, nightmare, and hell should stay the same.

Does monster damage even scale in normal through hell?

Yea, exactly... it's barely noticeable... no need to change it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom