• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
dPb5Q.png

f7a2z.png

Help me GAF for I know not what I do. I also have no cash or gear as I have to keep selling it for repairs. Spent too much early on levelling up the blacksmith and the jeweller.

Get some damn Resistance.

Cool, thanks guys for the info about the weapon. It seemed like a good deal since everything else with similar stats was two or three times the price.
Step 1: Deck yourself out with all-new, high quality, rare items from the auction house.
Step 2: Steamroll everything with ease.
Step 3: Wonder why you're not seeing upgrades drop.
Step 4: Repeat Step 1.

Seriously though, I've never purchased anything from the auction house while leveling. I always found upgrades reasonably often, though in Nightmare and Hell it required doing the optional side dungeons instead of just speed running through the acts as fast as possible. (Those side dungeons tend to have a ton of loot drops.) With guaranteed rares being added to Nightmare and Hell boss first kills, even side dungeons won't be needed anymore.
That's a disingenuous way to phrase the experience that I presented.
Get some damn Resistance.
He's in Hell and level 54. The stats he'd be giving up to get Resists on affordable gear are not worth it with 60 so close.

Well on my Barbarian I'm at the point now where farming 5 stack ZK > Belial on inferno is more efficient than act 3 chest runs. I can get on average 6-7 yellows in 45 minutes versus 4-5 an hour if I'm lucky doing chest runs. With way, way fewer deaths along the way.

KKRT00

CD is too long and both Blinding Flash, Fear runed Heal, and Serenity work better in almost all cases. I use 7 sided for Belial and Diablo though sometimes. I can see it being ok for a few reasons, but with tailwind on the Monk movement skill I can escape just about anything I need to.

It's a shame because when I saw this it was a big reason to pick Monk.

Seriously, I dont know what people see in this skill. I used it once, laughed and never even looked at it again.
It has 30s cooldown that diminish all its advantages. People say it has high damage, but its only 700% total damage [across 7 hits!] once every 30s and it takes 2s to deal that.
In that same 2s with Thunder Clap [2.12 attack speed] i can hit 7 times, every time for 145% weapon damage to single target and 70% aoe.
And if i've switched Seven Strike to Blinding Flash with +30% damage rune, i have 3s of free targets, so 10 hits with Thunder Clap which equals to 1900% weapon damage to single target and 925% aoe (455 + 471). Oh and Blinding Flash has only 15s cooldown, so i can deal two times more damage in comparison to Seven Strike in the same combat scenario.

TL;TR Thunder Clap with Blinding Flash [Faith in the Light rune] is 5.4 times more effective to single target and at least 8 time more effective for 3+ targets.

V_Arnold

KKRT00, did you ever stop and think about how 7 sided strike makes you invulnerable to anything for the full duration? Making it an invincibility+finisher, an invincibility+avoider, an invincibility+anything skill, basically? Especially if paired with stun. It is flexible, it is useful against certain boss patterns and elite attacks...and it hits hard.

scy

Well on my Barbarian I'm at the point now where farming ZK > Belial on inferno is more efficient than act 3 chest runs. I can get on average 6-7 yellows in 45 minutes versus 4-5 an hour if I'm lucky doing chest runs. With way, way fewer deaths along the way.

I should probably give ZK runs a try again. Terminus isn't that bad to clear for the 5x NV stack. Belial for my Wizard probably still sucks though.

Not because of him, mind you, but those goddamn snakes :(

TL;TR Thunder Clap with Blinding Flash [Faith in the Light rune] is 5.4 times more effective to single target and at least 8 time more effective for 3+ targets.

The invuln is nice and it looks awesome!

...but yeah, basically anything else is better damage and Serenity / Blinding Flash is practically all the invuln you need. Hell, Wave of Light > Explosive Light gives you a PBAoE knockback (+ flinch) that gives you some breathing room.

I am starting to get so tired of this game. It gives me nothing but headaches. Yesterday i downed Belial on Inferno after hours of trying and a 20 min+ ordeal to finally kill him. Today I can't select Act 3 on the select quest screen wich I guess means I have to spend more hours killing him again.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Seriously, I dont know what people see in this skill. I used it once, laughed and never even looked at it again.
It has 30s cooldown that diminish all its advantages. People say it has high damage, but its only 700% total damage [across 7 hits!] once every 30s and it takes 2s to deal that.
In that same 2s with Thunder Clap [2.12 attack speed] i can hit 7 times, every time for 145% weapon damage to single target and 70% aoe.
And if i've switched Seven Strike to Blinding Flash with +30% damage rune, i have 3s of free targets, so 10 hits with Thunder Clap which equals to 1900% weapon damage to single target and 925% aoe (455 + 471). Oh and Blinding Flash has only 15s cooldown, so i can deal two times more damage in comparison to Seven Strike in the same combat scenario.

The only use is for 2s of invuln for things like if you get boned from boss attacks/mortar/waller/arcane/frozen or need extra 2s on your other escape/utility cooldowns. That's what it is there for.

All other aspects are much worse like you said.

pigeon

Banned
Essence Burn makes Exploding Palm really usable, in my opinion. Though I guess it depends on the "why" you didn't like it. The fact the explosions apply Exploding Palm which chains into more explosions is so good. The fact they count as hits is just extra nice.

Plus the aforementioned hilarity of zombies flying around when they blow up.

I'll have to try it again -- haven't had it slotted with Essence Burn. My concern about it is that I was just taking too long to deal with individual hard targets -- you can't really spam it on a boss, and I was capping out my spirit constantly waiting for it, which is also a survivability problem with Transcendence. Maybe I need to change my approach...

Artanisix

I am starting to get so tired of this game. It gives me nothing but headaches. Yesterday i downed Belial on Inferno after hours of trying and a 20 min+ ordeal to finally kill him. Today I can't select Act 3 on the select quest screen wich I guess means I have to spend more hours killing him again.

Did you move on to the next Act after killing Belial or did you just kill him and log out in town?

I should probably give ZK runs a try again. Terminus isn't that bad to clear for the 5x NV stack. Belial for my Wizard probably still sucks though.

Not because of him, mind you, but those goddamn snakes :(

The way I do it (you probably already know this) is start at Realm of Shadow quest and go straight into Realm of Shadow to get his body. By this time you should have 2 stacks. Get the other 3 in one of the rooms on the side then just go straight to kill ZK.

The snakes became WAY easier with more DPS. Once Belial comes down to the ground, I can actually just completely burn him down before the snakes come out alongside him. Granted, Wrath of the Berserker more than doubles my DPS so I'm smacking him in the ass with over 60k DPS for a straight 15 seconds. Don't know if Wizard has anything that gives that much burst DPS :(

Lesath

http://i.imgur.com/dPb5Q.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/f7a2z.png[IMG]

Help me GAF for I know not what I do. I also have no cash or gear as I have to keep selling it for repairs. Spent too much early on levelling up the blacksmith and the jeweller.[/QUOTE]

If you had money, I would recommend you invest in some blue attack speed/dex rings and amulets, as well as a fast primary weapon (or a pair, if you'd prefer) and shield. Once you get to the appropriate level for your Blacksmith, stop salvaging gear and start selling it. Pre-Inferno materials are fairly useless.

Primary: I wouldn't suggest you switch to Crippling Wave or Deadly Reach due to your slow attack speed, but Quickening seems like a good choice. You'll have to experiment.

Abilities: Exploding Palm's usefulness diminishes when you realize that mobs are taking longer to kill, and you're starved for spirit as is. I would ditch it for defensive ability. I notice you do not have Breath of Heaven. Get Breath of Heaven, and use the damage or spirit generation rune. I had some measure of success with the fear rune.

During Hell, I used SSS as a brief immunity and stun too, but I found the cooldown prohibitive. Personally, I found Blinding Flash with Blinding Echo to be the most effective at controlling mobs between Breath of Heaven and Serenity cooldowns. Experiment with what you like.

Sweeping Wind is incredible damage for the spirit spent, but if you're having trouble surviving, I would personally switch to Air Ally. It is cheap, aggressively deals damage while you are kiting, and more importantly, it splits mob attention.

Passives: Ditch One with Everything; you do not have the resists to effectively stack it yet. I see some others recommending Transcendence, but your weapon is incredibly slow, so I would opt for Seize the Initiative instead. Once you get to 60 and obtain some gear, it OwE and StI are pretty much mandatory.

Beacon of Ytar is very powerful for keeping your defensive cooldowns available (I've since switched to Transcendence, but sorely miss it), and you can probably replace it with Transcendence once you break out of 1.5 attack speed.

KKRT00

KKRT00, did you ever stop and think about how 7 sided strike makes you invulnerable to anything for the full duration? Making it an invincibility+finisher, an invincibility+avoider, an invincibility+anything skill, basically? Especially if paired with stun. It is flexible, it is useful against certain boss patterns and elite attacks...and it hits hard.

I can think only about one situation when it would be more useful as an invincibility tool than Blinding Flash - arcane lasers, every other attack You can interrupt with Blinding which makes You 'invincible' too.
And i dont count situations when Blinding is more useful, like stopping enemies from chasing You, or giving You free hits on enemies to get life or spirit or even stall boss attacks, like act one 1 boss' smash, the one when he is jumping in place before attack, if You Blind him even late in that 'jumping' animation he will have to start whole animation again, so it gives You around 7-8s of free target :)

RDreamer

I used it for survivability. I've been thinking of changing to blinding flash or something, recently. For a while I was using it to dodge things like arcane. I can keep damaging an opponent and don't need to completely reposition or run away. Just wait until the arcane thing gets near you and you'll be gone while it passes over. It also tends to buy some time if I'm getting wailed on, since it acts like an invulnerability spell. I personally put the -7 seconds cool down rune on it, too so I could use it bit more often.

XLNC

7duZy.png

I've been trying to find a good helm for my monk with good dex/vit/resists for a while now so I just panic bought this for
4.2 mil
off the AH. Good/bad deal?

alternade

Im getting so bored of my monk already. His attacks are so blah. All im doing in my parties if buffing everyone and getting yelled at for dying.

zlatko

Banned
7duZy.png

I've been trying to find a good helm with good dex/vit/resists for my monk for a while now so I just panic bought this for
4.2 mil

You use shield in off hand right?

That thing is godly. It's a socket slot short of being insane.

7duZy.png

I've been trying to find a good helm for my monk with good dex/vit/resists for a while now so I just panic bought this for
4.2 mil

If you need the block % it's a good deal. Statwise you can get better helms much, much cheaper.

scy

I'll have to try it again -- haven't had it slotted with Essence Burn. My concern about it is that I was just taking too long to deal with individual hard targets -- you can't really spam it on a boss, and I was capping out my spirit constantly waiting for it, which is also a survivability problem with Transcendence. Maybe I need to change my approach...

Meh, I like it since it means I can just spam primary attacks + Mantra to heal and then toss it in every 3 seconds to reapply. Then it explodes and everything has the DoT which then explode and applies the DoT which so on and so forth. It is pretty bad vs bosses but, generally speaking, I don't have much trouble with them anyway.

That said, I haven't played my Monk in a while if only because I don't want to find good DEX/VIT/Resist/Movement Speed items for her. After +25% Movement on my Wizard and DH, I just can't do this slow run anymore!

Lesath

7duZy.png

I've been trying to find a good helm with good dex/vit/resists for my monk for a while now so I just panic bought this for
4.2 mil

Good deal, I think. Last I checked, there were ones available for half the price, but the combination of 40+ all/lightning resist, high dex, and supplementary vit makes it worthwhile. At least, even if you got ripped off, I don't forsee you replacing it with anything but the same helmet that had even better rolls.

EDIT: Invest in Justice Lantern and Stormshield next.

Bollocks

What's up with the spam chat messages.
First time that I played since launch and they pop up every minute or so
Why am I getting them, any way to fix this?

scy

What's up with the spam chat messages.
First time that I played since launch and they pop up every minute or so
Why am I getting them, any way to fix this?

/leave

Edit: At least, I'm assuming you're talking about the forced joined General Chat.

Kenaras

I can think only about one situation when it would be more useful as an invincibility tool than Blinding Flash - arcane lasers, every other attack You can interrupt with Blinding which makes You 'invincible' too.
And i dont count situations when Blinding is more useful, like stopping enemies from chasing You, or giving You free hits on enemies to get life or spirit or even stall boss attacks, like act one 1 boss' smash, the one when he is jumping in place before attack, if You Blind him even late in that 'jumping' animation he will have to start whole animation again, so it gives You around 7-8s of free target :)

Why are you treating it as an either/or thing? You can take both.

Personally, nearly all of my builds for Inferno have Blinding Flash, Breath of Heaven, Serenity, a spirit generator, and a mantra as their core. Seven-Sided Strike is a perfectly reasonable choice to fill the final skill slot, and the stun from Pandemonium can make it a highly effective defensive ability. It's not my first choice, but it works when I feel like taking it.

scy

Personally, nearly all of my builds for Inferno have Blinding Flash, Breath of Heaven, Serenity, a spirit generator, and a mantra as their core. Seven-Sided Strike is a perfectly reasonable choice to fill the final skill slot, and the stun from Pandemonium can make it a highly effective defensive ability. It's not my first choice, but it works when I feel like taking it.

Because that last slot has these options:

Earth Ally (Tanking, bonus HP)
Air Ally (Damage, 2% chance for--okay, Damage)
Any Damage dealing Spirit spender
Second Primary skill for buffs

And a high CD occasionally useful ability is hard to find incredibly useful vs those options. Personally, anyway. It's not a case of it being a useless skill or anything, just that we tend to not have a lot of room for it and it's not worth the slot. Especially when you consider the cost (rather, that cooldown).

Ugh, I don't think Blizzard created enough monsters that just straight up run away from you all the time -.-

Melee problems.

I've been having this particular issue a ton. It seems anything that is ranged has that AI on it.

Seems to be a huge difference from D2 where the AI was very lacking.

RDreamer

Speaking of shields and block percentages and all that. I'm really kind of wondering how and when all these modifiers even come into play. There are so many different damage mitigation devices in the game that I can't tell where I might be getting diminishing returns, etc.

So, the game has:

Reduced melee damage
Reduced ranged damage
Reduced elite damage

Block % (and along with this is has a modifier for how much is blocked)

Resistances
Armor
Dodge

I'm probably missing some. Anyway, how does damage work in the game, exactly. When a monster attacks you I'm assuming dodge is the first thing to come into play. After that, though it gets hairy. There's a number on your blocking. Does that block the full damage they're throwing at you by that amount? If so that'd be kind of piddly only being a couple thousand. Or does that block modifier come in after all the rest of your mitigation? Like, does that come in after the 10-20+% reduced melee damage if you have say a String of Ears and something else? Or does that come before that? How about something like physical resistances or armor? Does the block come before that? Where does the reduced melee damage fit with respect to armor, too. Does it reduce things before your armor kicks in or after? Does it reduce things after your shield has blocked that 2,000-3,000 or whatever it is life? How are physical resistance and armor related at all? Does reduced ranged damage count for spells and stuff that are at a range? Or is that only bows and stuff?

KKRT00

No i cant :), we have only 6 slots and there are much more useful abilities :)

Artanisix

I've been having this particular issue a ton. It seems anything that is ranged has that AI on it.

Seems to be a huge difference from D2 where the AI was very lacking.

As a barb, my most hated enemy are fucking wasps with fast affix and any combination of molten/plague/frozen/jailer/vortex. Do they HAVE to run THAT fucking much?!

Ok fellow barbs. I need some help on what stats to keep upgrading to be able to progress in Act 3 inferno. I die waaay too fast to normal mobs to be able to make any progress. These are my current stats:

iDYdSkEOnjaGJ.png

And this is the build I'm using: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WSXVkP!bVe!acaccZ

Any suggestions welcome. Also, I'm looking for a better weapon, preferably with +500 LoH but I'm only at 1M gold so that is out of the question at the moment.

EDIT: These stats are with the Warcry buff.

balddemon

Banned
Ok fellow barbs. I need some help on what stats to keep upgrading to be able to progress in Act 3 inferno. I die waaay too fast to normal mobs to be able to make any progress. These are my current stats:

iDYdSkEOnjaGJ.png

And this is the build I'm using: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WSXVkP!bVe!acaccZ

Any suggestions welcome. Also, I'm looking for a better weapon, preferably with +500 LoH but I'm only at 1M gold so that is out of the question at the moment.

DPS

i have 7.2k dps in act 1 inferno. i can't imagine how hard it would be to survive in act 3 with that shit

Shouta

SSS actually also moves you after you land all your hits so it has advantages over Blinding Flash/Serenity.

TheYanger

110 hours in I got my first Legendary: a 250 dps spear. Not of much use to my 45k dps DH. Or anyone else for that matter. Salvaging...

the three hundredth spear? that thing is worth between 1.5-4 million gold...

I'm hoping you didn't actually salvage it into some encrusted hoofs :( For your own sake.

Kenaras

Because that last slot has these options:

Earth Ally (Tanking, bonus HP)
Air Ally (Damage, 2% chance for--okay, Damage)
Any Damage dealing Spirit spender
Second Primary skill for buffs

And a high CD occasionally useful ability is hard to find incredibly useful vs those options. Personally, anyway. It's not a case of it being a useless skill or anything, just that we tend to not have a lot of room for it and it's not worth the slot. Especially when you consider the cost (rather, that cooldown).

That wasn't the point - you'll notice I said that I don't generally use Seven-Sided Strike. The point was that forced to choose, I'd generally take Blinding Flash over any of the abilities you listed, so why compare Seven-Sided Strike to Blinding Flash? The proper comparison is Seven-Sided Strike to the above abilities.

scy

Speaking of shields and block percentages and all that. I'm really kind of wondering how and when all these modifiers even come into play. There are so many different damage mitigation devices in the game that I can't tell where I might be getting diminishing returns, etc.

So, the game has:

Reduced melee damage
Reduced ranged damage
Reduced elite damage

Resistances
Armor
Dodge

I'm probably missing some. Anyway, how does damage work in the game, exactly. When a monster attacks you I'm assuming dodge is the first thing to come into play. After that, though it gets hairy. There's a number on your blocking. Does that block the full damage they're throwing at you by that amount? If so that'd be kind of piddly only being a couple thousand. Or does that block modifier come in after all the rest of your mitigation? Like, does that come in after the 10-20+% reduced melee damage if you have say a String of Ears and something else? Or does that come before that? How about something like physical resistances or armor? Does the block come before that? Where does the reduced melee damage fit with respect to armor, too. Does it reduce things before your armor kicks in or after? Does it reduce things after your shield has blocked that 2,000-3,000 or whatever it is life? How are physical resistance and armor related at all? Does reduced ranged damage count for spells and stuff that are at a range? Or is that only bows and stuff?

The first check is your Evasion; if that fails, we go into Damage Mitigation:

Damage Dealt * (1 - ArmorDR%) * (1 - ResistanceDR%) * (1 - OtherDR%)

Where OtherDR% is just all of your non-Armor, non-Resistance Damage Reductions. So, for example, 30% Damage Reduction passive (Monk/Barbarian) with a -20% Melee Damage String of Ears and -8% Melee Damage from other equipment with -4% Elite Damage when hit by a Champion would give you a total OtherDR% of:

(1 - 30%) * (1 - 28%) * (1 - 4%) = 48.384%

ArmorDR% is merely:
Armor / (Armor + 50 * Enemy Level)

ResistDR% is merely:
Resistance / (Resistance + 5 * Enemy Level)

The in-game character sheet uses Enemy Level = Character Level but, at Inferno, an Enemy Level of 63 is more appropriate rather than what the game shows you.

After that, the game checks your Block Chance to see if you Block and then reduces the damage dealt by the Block Amount.

Once all that's done, you take the damage.

pigeon

Banned

So, the game has:

Reduced melee damage
Reduced ranged damage
Reduced elite damage

Resistances
Armor
Dodge

It's one big fat multiplication problem. Say an enemy swings at you for 3,000 -- first you roll your dodge. if that fails, then take your armor -- say it's 30%, so multiply that 3,000 by 70%, 2100. Physical resistance 10% -- multiply that 2100 by 90%, 1800. Melee resistance 10%, multiply by 90%, 1620. Notice that it actually doesn't matter what order these resistances apply in because they're commutative. They all just stack multiplicatively.

Once all of the percentage reductions have happened, the block chance rolls, and if you succeed, the final reduced damage is further reduced by the block amount. This is why blocking is somewhat stronger than it appears -- it scales up with all your other defensive stats, so a block result of just 1620 in this example will mitigate an attack that would do 3000 damage.

edit: scy is too fast for me. Also he remembered to include that your armor and resistance scale with enemy level. I thought that dodge did too but I don't have the game here to check.

Kunohara

I've been trying to decide if I should keep Earth Ally, or switch to Blinding Flash. I always play with my 3 friends (2 wiz's and a WD), so I'm basically the tank in the group. I'm at 57 in Act 2 Hell, and so far, Earth Ally does not really last that long in fights. He just dies too quickly. I wish his health would increase with my gear or something. I just really like that he taunts guys off me (which doesn't seem to last long), and he provides the extra health.

On the other hand, Blinding Flash is nice, but I lose the taunt and health.

I run with BoH/Blazing rune, Serenity/the healing rune, earth ally, mantra of conviction/overawe, deadly reach/keen eye, and wave of light/pillar of ancients, with Trans/One with Everything/Seize

I want to use cyclone as well so I can grab any guys that are coming after my ranged friends, but I have no idea what skill to replace it with. I basically need BoH and Serenity to survive, the mantra for increased damage to everyone.

Bah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom