• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEREC

Any speculation on what new character classes will be added after a while in an expansion or DLC (or however they chose to expand the game)? Im really hoping they at least bring back the Paladin and Druid.

Artanisix

Well, DPS is something I kind of have to give up for survivability. At least, that's how I'm reasoning.

STR is really important, you're definitely neglecting it.

And yeah, what's the DPS on your weapon? I would say you want at least 10k total dps if you're going sword and shield in A3.

scy

That wasn't the point - you'll notice I said that I don't generally use Seven-Sided Strike. The point was that forced to choose, I'd generally take Blinding Flash over any of the abilities you listed, so why compare Seven-Sided Strike to Blinding Flash? The proper comparison is Seven-Sided Strike to the above abilities.

True. The argument started I think with the suggestion of putting Blinding Flash over SSS in the build we were discussing :x

edit: scy is too fast for me. Also he remembered to include that your armor and resistance scale with enemy level. I thought that dodge did too but I don't have the game here to check.

Oddly, Dodge doesn't scale with Enemy Level I believe.

GJS

The auction house is horrible for anyone who tries to create gems, I've been calculating to see whether it is profitable at all but the 15% transaction fees ruin it.

You can just barely make a profit with Perfect star emeralds, and the radiant stars are all profitable providing you have all the designs.

Anything below that though and with the current prices and the AH 15% transaction fee you end up losing anywhere from 50-100k gold. Anyone who is putting their gems up at the current AH prices must be insane.

balddemon

Banned
It's a shitty blue 870 dps with 45% damage increase. That's what I also would like, however, I don't have the crazy amount of gold needed lying around.

ok thats basically what i'm using only mine is 690dps and has 190 life on hit from a gem. the way i'm geared now i can run through act 1 easily and get some money (money just falls into my lap it seems) and get hooked up with a good wep by act 3 or even 2.

but that is your main problem - lack of STR And lack of dps

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Those damn projectiles that the wasps in Act 2 shoot out do way too much damage.

I've got something like 65% damage reduction from Armor and another 65% damage reduction from resists. Then I have an additional 20% damage reduction from ranged/elemental attacks. Getting hit by 5 of them will kill me at 25k Life.

That means that, assuming the mobs are level 60 (they are probably higher), each of those projectiles has a base damage of like 50k. Fucking insane. Sure, they are pretty easy to dodge, but wow.

Opiate

The auction house is horrible for anyone who tries to create gems, I've been calculating to see whether it is profitable at all but the 15% transaction fees ruin it.

You can just barely make a profit with Perfect star emeralds, and the radiant stars are all profitable providing you have all the designs.

Anything below that though and with the current prices and the AH 15% transaction fee you end up losing anywhere from 50-100k gold. Anyone who is putting their gems up at the current AH prices must be insane.

I'm selling mine because I kept the ones I didn't even need or plan to use in order to sell once the house came back up. I'm keeping all my perfect squares and above.

mercviper

Damage Dealt * (1 - ArmorDR%) * (1 - ResistanceDR%) * (1 - OtherDR%)

Where OtherDR% is just the summation of all your non-Armor, non-Resistance Damage Reductions. So, for example, 20% Melee passive with a 20% String of Ears and -8% Melee Damage from equipment with -4% Elite Damage when hit by a Champion would give you a total OtherDR% of:

20% + 20% + 8% + 4% = 52%.

Barring the 30% typo for melee passive, does this mean that using resolve and crippling with concussion makes the 1 - OtherDR% formula 1-(30%+25%+20%)=75%?

I thought it was all multiplicative, in that if you had a 20% string, 4% melee modifier and an 5% elite dmg modifier your DR would look like (1-armor)*(1-MR)*(1-30% passive)*(1-24% string/melee)*(1-5% elite)

scy

The fact there's Radiant Stars even for sale kind of surprises me to be honest.

And, yes, that was the first thing I checked when I saw that Gems were back up :x

Kenaras

I've been trying to decide if I should keep Earth Ally, or switch to Blinding Flash. I always play with my 3 friends (2 wiz's and a WD), so I'm basically the tank in the group. I'm at 57 in Act 2 Hell, and so far, Earth Ally does not really last that long in fights. He just dies too quickly. I wish his health would increase with my gear or something. I just really like that he taunts guys off me (which doesn't seem to last long), and he provides the extra health.

On the other hand, Blinding Flash is nice, but I lose the taunt and health.

I run with BoH/Blazing rune, Serenity/the healing rune, earth ally, mantra of conviction/overawe, deadly reach/keen eye, and wave of light/pillar of ancients, with Trans/One with Everything/Seize

I want to use cyclone as well so I can grab any guys that are coming after my ranged friends, but I have no idea what skill to replace it with. I basically need BoH and Serenity to survive, the mantra for increased damage to everyone.

Bah.

It helps if you don't think of the Earth Ally as a long-term companion. With no cooldown on the ability, think of him as short-term damage absorption at the cost of 30 spirit. The real question is whether he absorbs enough damage during his short lifespan to make that 30 spirit worth spending.

Cyclone Strike can be a fantastic ability when tanking for a group; Earth Ally and Pillar of the Ancients are the skills I'd look at dropping for it. If you find you have difficulty surviving afterwards, Blinding Flash is a solid option to replace the other one. The problem you can run into with this build is the complete lack of knockbacks or escape options if you get cornered.

HenryHSH

ok thats basically what i'm using only mine is 690dps and has 190 life on hit from a gem. the way i'm geared now i can run through act 1 easily and get some money (money just falls into my lap it seems) and get hooked up with a good wep by act 3 or even 2.

Problem is, you're going to run into a wall in act 2 and a weapon upgrade becomes the least efficient way of spending the money you're making. Even with a 900 LoH (which is what I used for act2), you still need a decent amount of ar (700-800), vit (35k+) and armor (7k+).

That'll probably change after 103, so maybe you want to save your gold and progress post patch.

TheYanger

The radiant stars aren't profitable either. Maybe flawless squares were slightly lower when you looked than when I did?

You can sell them over cost, but after the 15% cut they're not worth it. The gem market is crushed by the quantity idiots who don't understand basic math, essentially. So many that sell undercosted because people don't understand that gems they don't buy still have a price/value/opportunity cost, and that they lose 15% off the top when it finally sells.

scy

Barring the 30% typo for melee passive, does this mean that using resolve and crippling with concussion makes the 1 - OtherDR% formula 1-(30%+25%+20%)=75%?

I thought it was all multiplicative, in that if you had a 20% string, 4% melee modifier and an 5% elite dmg modifier your DR would look like (1-armor)*(1-MR)*(1-30% passive)*(1-24% string/melee)*(1-5% elite)

Actually, I was thinking 20% from Blur or Jungle Fortitude, not the Barb/Monk passive. Which I actually think is a global reduction. Some skills might be as well, otherwise it'd be pretty easy for a Barb to break this formula.

I'll double check when I get the chance.

Edit: Actually, now that I just think about it, you have to be right on that otherwise things would go crazy in the stacking. Not sure why I'm thinking it's additive. I'll edit to reflect this.

Kunohara

It helps if you don't think of the Earth Ally as a long-term companion. With no cooldown on the ability, think of him as short-term damage absorption at the cost of 30 spirit. The real question is whether he absorbs enough damage during his short lifespan to make that 30 spirit worth spending.

Cyclone Strike can be a fantastic ability when tanking for a group; Earth Ally and Pillar of the Ancients are the skills I'd look at dropping for it. If you find you have difficulty surviving afterwards, Blinding Flash is a solid option to replace the other one. The problem you can run into with this build is the complete lack of knockbacks or escape options if you get cornered.

I just find it weird only having one offensive skill, and all the rest defensive, but I guess if I'm tanking, I gotta do it. I just like having wave of light because of the high spirit use (for trans so I get a heal out of it).

I guess I'll drop wave of light, and bring on cyclone, and maybe drop earth ally and bring on blinding flash. Earth ally does not last long at all and doesn't seem worth the 30 spirit each time, considering I'm gonna be spamming conviction.

Ketch

I haven't done any research into cookie cutter demon hunter builds, but I was just wondering peoples opinions on what I'm using now (nearing the end of nightmare getting ready for hell)

DH%20build.png

I feel like it's pretty good, but I'm interested to hear about what's going to loose viability as things get harder. My basic strat:

entangling shot and frost arrow are good basic shots for kiting and aoe as well as taking advantage of culling the weak passive.

Fan of Daggers and SS for getting out of trouble.

Then the Deep Breath rune on SS combined with Bat companion keep me at good hatred levels so I can spam impale with chemical burn to nuke down single targets.

Edit: I love how easy it is to "respec", and the fact that you're pretty much forced to rethink things every so often... but then every so often I get in this weird place where I like what I have and feel like I don't know what I'm looking forward to.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait for the ability to freely cancel auctions.

It seems for me that anything that sells is going to sell in the first two or three hours of being posted.

Ok fellow barbs. I need some help on what stats to keep upgrading to be able to progress in Act 3 inferno. I die waaay too fast to normal mobs to be able to make any progress. These are my current stats:

iDYdSkEOnjaGJ.png

And this is the build I'm using: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WSXVkP!bVe!acaccZ

Any suggestions welcome. Also, I'm looking for a better weapon, preferably with +500 LoH but I'm only at 1M gold so that is out of the question at the moment.

EDIT: These stats are with the Warcry buff.

Honestly you're not even close to ready for act 3 inferno. Can you even kill belial with these stats? You need like 20k+ dps, and an additional 200-300 allresist

Thanks. I threw some gems and items around and arrived at 11k dps but with a huge loss in life. I'm now down to 36k but it worked better than before. I guess I have to check for weapons and just upgrade the stuff I have to better items.

Honestly you're not even close to ready for act 3 inferno. Can you even kill belial with these stats? You need like 20k+ dps, and an additional 200-300 allresist

Yep, I soloed Belial, but I had more DPS then. This is full def gear.

RDreamer

Alright guys, thanks for the damage reduction lessons. The main thing that was throwing me was the shield and blocking percent.

Another question. Items that have block % on them. Does that just block the damage that your shield negates, then if it kicks in?

Kenaras

I just find it weird only having one offensive skill, and all the rest defensive, but I guess if I'm tanking, I gotta do it. I just like having wave of light because of the high spirit use (for trans so I get a heal out of it).

I guess I'll drop wave of light, and bring on cyclone, and maybe drop earth ally and bring on blinding flash. Earth ally does not last long at all and doesn't seem worth the 30 spirit each time, considering I'm gonna be spamming conviction.

I used to feel exactly the same way, and I used Wave of Light for a long time for the same reasons you're using it. As you continue to progress though, the healing from Transcendence becomes less and less noticeable. In a group setting, I found the fastest way to increase the group's DPS was to improve my tanking ability. Anytime I'm forced to run, the other DPS will be forced to run as well. On top of that, you're using Mantra of Conviction. When grouped with high DPS, the bonus damage from activating that mantra will generally outshine any personal DPS ability you might have spent that spirit on instead.

Cipherr

Lol, hackers are livestreaming now? This guy apparently stole 10k-20k accounts and explains how he did it. I got it from the forums:

10k accounts stolen he says (just his company), live streaming right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NUQTATy5dc&feature=g-all-lsb

UPDATE: The same link above works but the livestream at YouTube (yes you actually can livestream at YouTube) has ended and now it is a traditional YouTube recording of the live segment.

EDIT: To summarize this long thread, the gold farmer has been stealing email/password data from 3rd party fan sites/wikis/forum websites for years going back to WoW. They have a bot who tries those in Diablo 24 hours a day until a match is found and then of course they rob it. Out of millions of stolen account information from these 3rd party sites about 10,000 so far were matches for Diablo logins.

They also try the login info in paypal and when a match is found they buy several copies of the game for their bots/mules/gold selling accounts.

I'd be willing to bet that this is how most accounts and passwords get compromised. This is the same way it worked back when WoW were being hacked at an insane pace.

mercviper

Actually, I was thinking 20% from Blur or Jungle Fortitude, not the Barb/Monk passive. Which I actually think is a global reduction. Some skills might be as well, otherwise it'd be pretty easy for a Barb to break this formula.

I'll double check when I get the chance.

Oh okay, I read melee passive as in "the passive DR melee gets for being melee", not as "a passive skill you can use to reduce melee dmg". And in that case, yeah, I see how that makes sense to stack with string and a 4% melee reduction. Although not sure how the 5% elite reduction works with it. Would it stack because it applies to melee as well? or would it split because it's a different type of damage reduction and become it's own multiplier?

TheYanger

Those are PLENTY of stats to kill belial. You don't need 1000 resist for act 2, I still don't have 1000 resist in act 3 (Yeah it's hard), yet I can literally just stand in Belial's attacks. Phase 1 is the hard part. He has no enrage, your dps doesn't matter. Barb dps can be incredibly low and still be fine since typically if you're geared enough you get much higher time on target than other classes.

Thanks. I threw some gems and items around and arrived at 11k dps but with a huge loss in life. I'm now down to 36k but it worked better than before. I guess I have to check for weapons and just upgrade the stuff I have to better items.

You need way more life on hit, sadly. It's a really tough balance. I'm not there yet myself, the gear with all the stats you need is expensive as shit.

I have 21k dps, about 950 all resist, 46k hp, 600 LoH and act 3 trash is doable but champs are still very difficult, sometimes impossible. If i get lucky and its something stupid like mortar waller extra health avenger i can just faceroll and kill it, but thats the exception

Upgrade your gear with things that have high str and high vit and all resist on the same item.

Also, your chest has no sockets

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

With his resistance levels, would an additional 200-300 resists even reduce damage by another 1 or 2%? Would an additional 1 or 2% damage reduction really make the difference?

GJS

I'm selling mine because I kept the ones I didn't even need or plan to use in order to sell once the house came back up. I'm keeping all my perfect squares and above.

Lower level gems such as that don't really matter in terms of AH price.

I'm more concerned with the fact that people are selling Star gems and higher on the AH for prices which result in 50-150k loss after transaction fees are taken. These are people who have either spent money crafting these gems or bought them, both resulting in them losing money.

HenryHSH

lol... I was just thinking that I was due for another legendary drop but I'm playing on normal and I would really be annoyed if I got one. Bam! Level 23 demon machine.... :(

With his resistance levels, would an additional 200-300 resists even reduce damage by another 1 or 2%? Would an additional 1 or 2% damage reduction really make the difference?

When your effective damage reduction is already like 90%, going to 92% is pretty huge

Kenaras

Those are PLENTY of stats to kill belial. You don't need 1000 resist for act 2, I still don't have 1000 resist in act 3 (Yeah it's hard), yet I can literally just stand in Belial's attacks. Phase 1 is the hard part. He has no enrage, your dps doesn't matter. Barb dps can be incredibly low and still be fine since typically if you're geared enough you get much higher time on target than other classes.

You need way more life on hit, sadly. It's a really tough balance. I'm not there yet myself, the gear with all the stats you need is expensive as shit.

Yeah. I realize monks and barbarians are different, but last night I killed Belial with 9k DPS and 450 resist all. At this point I need some serious upgrades to progress further, and monk gear seems even more expensive than barbarian gear. I have 5.5 million in the bank, but I don't think that's enough.

XLNC

If anyone can loan me 200k right for a bit I'd really appreciate it. I'll pay you back with 50% interest when I can.

scy

Oh okay, I read melee passive as in "the passive DR melee gets for being melee", not as "a passive skill you can use to reduce melee dmg". And in that case, yeah, I see how that makes sense to stack with string and a 4% melee reduction. Although not sure how the 5% elite reduction works with it. Would it stack because it applies to melee as well? or would it split because it's a different type of damage reduction and become it's own multiplier?

I think it may be a separate multiplier, now that I think about it. I switched my example to a Barb/Monk one rather than the Blur one (and just Blur; Witch Doctor's Jungle Fortitude is -20% Damage taken in general, not Melee).

It also cannot be an additive multiplier in general just because we'd have seen some 100% mitigation if it was. It has to be multiplicative. Not sure why I stupided all over myself on that one to be honest :x

RDreamer

What's a good block% anyway. I feel like my shield is pretty good:

20% chance to block 1960-2794
83 dex
75 vit
59 resist all
+165 armor
Critical hit chance increased 5.5%

I went for the highest block % I could find at the time. At the time I didn't think rares could hit higher than 20, even. I barely see anything above there now. I just searched to see if I could find anything better at all, and I really can't. Anything even close stats wise is down at 10% block chance, and the block amount is just as low as mine. I even put in a max amount of like 4 million and couldn't find much better. Where are you guys finding better shields? (besides storm shield)

Kenaras

When your effective damage reduction is already like 90%, going to 92% is pretty huge

Yes it is; it means you take 20% less damage than you did before. That does for your defense what a 25% DPS increase would do for your offense. In general, peoples' intuition about damage reduction percentages is horribly off.

Edit: Of course, pertaining to the discussion at hand - 200 resist all is probably about as difficult to get as 400 strength or so. 400 additional strength would be a 50% DPS increase for him, in addition to armor benefit.

Lol, hackers are livestreaming now? This guy apparently stole 10k-20k accounts and explains how he did it. I got it from the forums:

I'd be willing to bet that this is how most accounts and passwords get compromised. This is the same way it worked back when WoW were being hacked at an insane pace.

Link to the forum thread please.

Edit: Actually I found it.

pigeon

Banned

Resistance, like armor, has diminishing returns on resistance per point because the actual benefit to effective hp per point of resistance is a power curve; thus, the actual benefit to you in terms of effective hit points/time til death is linear. To put this another way, going from 0% damage reduction from armor to 50% damage reduction from armor doubles your effective hit points, but so does going from 80% damage reduction from armor to 90%; so the points have to get less valuable as you get more of them, or the best defensive strategy would always be to focus on one defensive stat at the expense of all others.

tl;dr: Just pretend you never heard that resistance and armor have diminishing returns and your intuitive understanding will be accurate.

I'd make the argument that more +STR and +Armor would be more beneficial. It's probably cheaper to gear that than getting even more Resists.

No argument here that he needs more STR. His DPS is really really low so STR is giving him mitigation and dps. That being said, I do think 850 all resist (buffed) should be a good target to aim for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom