• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hj95E.png

This is what I used in NM, with your dps Wave of Light should just kill everything. You can change the punch around to anything, but with your low life it might be better to give yourself some room to move around. Grab the templar and get the 12% boost to spirit gain, you should be getting around 6 spirit a second to help spam Wave of Light.

Yeah, I keep getting too low of spirit when I try to spam it..what is the 12% boost?

Anyone else wish the runes were more recognizable? Back when they first were announced there were rune colors or something and they all looked distinct. Now they are all the same color but have a different symbol on them that are impossible to distinguish except for the name of the rune.

Not a big deal by any means, just something that kind of bothers me.

Lesath

Okay I'm clueless. I'm in act 2 Inferno and I can't do shit. My dps is crap and it kills pretty much nothing and all the mobs kill me instantly.

1W1DV.jpg

My stats. Obviously buffed but that's what they look like pretty much constantly. I also have no money and can't afford new gear. A better weapon would cost about 2-3m at least *sigh*.

Any advice?

E: build

8Loqm.png

Your gear honestly looks fine. You might want to force yourself to get 500 LoH, but I know AH prices are currently prohibitive. Life per Spirit spent might be a cheaper option.

Do not use Crippling Wave. You already have a low attack speed, and trying to get greedy with additional damage on the ability isn't going to help your spirit generation at all. You also do not have the Life on Hit to comfortably allow mobs to surround you. I would go with Deadly Reach - Keen Eye, or if you must use Crippling Wave, utilize Concussion.

Replace the Breath of Heaven - Circle of Life rune for either Blazing Wrath, Infused with the Light, or Penitent Flame, depending on whether or not you feel you need more DPS, Spirit Generation, or CC respectively.

Replace Wave of Light with another ability; I would recommend something for survival, but if you have to use an offensive ability, I would go for a Mystic Ally (good supplementary DPS and distraction) or Lashing Tail Kick with the increased knockback (which does not work well on champions or elite packs).

If you do switch your primary to Deadly Reach, use Fire Storm for Sweeping Wind.

Make room for Serenity. There is a reason it is found in pretty much all monk builds. Peaceful Repose and Ascension are both good.

Ditch Exalted Soul; you don't generate spirit fast enough to hit the cap, and if you're hitting the cap (which I doubt), you're not using your spirit efficiently. Throw in Resolve or Beacon of Ytar. Transcendence is a good option, but you probably will not generate spirit fast enough to take full advantage of it.

mercviper

Yeah been searching for LoH gear but so pricey...

My build,

8Loqm.png

Do you have exalted soul to spam the bell? Doesn't seem necessary since you have low cost spells except for bladestorm. Also you want your spirit regeneration to keep up with your spenders so the benefit having the extra 100 spirit at the beginning of the fight falls off fast compared to a passive like Transcendance.

The lack of Serenity is alarming, and I'd replace bell/bladestorm for it with Peaceful Repose runed to help make up for lack of LoH. Or blinding if you really really didn't want to drop the other two skills. I say that since you're probably dying from champ packs instead of trash and blinding is less effective for them. Also, constant 15% dmg from Blazing Wrath rune is going to be better than an extra 1-2k heal on Breath of Heaven. Really wish those heals scaled with weapons like every other skill in the game though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, 1 STR = 1 Armor and 1 INT = 0.1 Resistance, regardless of your stats. For when Armor = Resistance * 10, 10 STR = 10 Armor = 10 INT = 1 Resistance is true. It's not necessarily the case for all possible values of Armor and Resistance (as, in your example, 10000 Armor with 0 Resistances is 76% DR while 8000 Armor / 200 Resistances is 83%).

5000 Armor / 500 Resists is better than 6000 Armor / 400 Resists, if ever so slightly (~85.1% Mitigation vs ~84.9%).

So how do the damage reduction formulas for armor and resistance work?

You said 10,000 Armor is 76% Damage Reduction, so the damage reduction from armor is calculated as Armor * 0.76 (assuming you are the same level as the enemy)? Or is it not that simple? How does it work with resistances?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Bingo :) Damage reduction from resist and armor is almost completely linear last I checked. (like .01 off). I've known people who could NEVER understand this concept in years of wow. Thankfully they weren't anyone who mattered.

There is one oddity with the math, the damage reduction works best if you have a 1:10 AR/Armor ratio. 400 AR/4000 Armor will actually give more EHP then 200 AR/8000 Armor.

balddemon

Banned
how do i tell my 2 friends who are both undergeared for inferno act 1 to leave when we are fighting fast plauged extra health elites

3 barbs fightning enemies with 1.6mil hp when 2 of them can't survive and 1 onlyh has 7.8k dps is not going to work

how do i tell my 2 friends who are both undergeared for inferno act 1 to leave when we are fighting fast plauged extra health elites

3 barbs fightning enemies with 1.6mil hp when 2 of them can't survive and 1 onlyh has 7.8k dps is not going to work

Tell them that they are undergeared and need to get better gear?

Why are the dyes so crappy? Compared to the rich colors available for sigil customization it's a little disappointing-- like picking between 15 shades of paleness (even the expensive 5k ones).

I got jailed back to back twice vs those little exploding guys...

Like an affliction warlock sorta if you ever played WoW *minus the life drain shit* Throw out your haunt and keep moving, place your grasp in front of you and run through it, when they get sorta close spin around locust and run the fuck away. if you get some good distance get some spirit barrages off repeat all day everyday and never get touched.

Ah yeah I get you, pretty fun to use! Ive used darts as my left click for so long its throwing me off

TheYanger

There is one oddity with the math, the damage reduction works best if you have a 1:10 AR/Armor ratio. 400 AR/4000 Armor will actually give more EHP then 200 AR/8000 Armor.

Well...not really an oddity! it makes total sense of course. The fact that they scale perfectly at such even numbers is really a blessing for eyeballing upgrades too. It's much the same as dodge/parry in wow, even numbers in each is stronger than stacking one or the other.

panty

Do you have exalted soul to spam the bell? Doesn't seem necessary since you have low cost spells except for bladestorm. Also you want your spirit regeneration to keep up with your spenders so the benefit having the extra 100 spirit at the beginning of the fight falls off fast compared to a passive like Transcendance.

The lack of Serenity is alarming, and I'd replace bell/bladestorm for it with Peaceful Repose runed to help make up for lack of LoH. Or blinding if you really really didn't want to drop the other two skills. I say that since you're probably dying from champ packs instead of trash and blinding is less effective for them. Also, constant 15% dmg from Blazing Wrath rune is going to be better than an extra 1-2k heal on Breath of Heaven. Really wish those heals scaled with weapons like every other skill in the game though.

Your stats are much, much higher than mine, other than the lack of life on hit. I'd start by trying a more defensive build. Drop Wave of Light and Sweeping Wind; with those gone Exalted Soul becomes useless, so drop that as well. You absolutely need Serenity; both Peaceful Repose and Ascension are good runes for it. Try out Transcendence or Resolve for your third passive, most likely Transcendence due to your lack of life on hit. Experiment with options for your final skill slot. I'd recommend starting with Earth Ally and Lashing Tail Kick - Sweeping Armada to see how you like them, but there's a huge number of viable options.

Your gear honestly looks fine. You might want to force yourself to get 500 LoH, but I know AH prices are currently prohibitive. Life per Spirit spent might be a cheaper option.

Do not use Crippling Wave. You already have a low attack speed, and trying to get greedy with additional damage on the ability isn't going to help your spirit generation at all. You also do not have the Life on Hit to comfortably allow mobs to surround you. I would go with Deadly Reach - Keen Eye, or if you must use Crippling Wave, utilize Concussion.

Replace the Breath of Heaven - Circle of Life rune for either Blazing Wrath, Infused with the Light, or Penitent Flame, depending on whether or not you feel you need more DPS, Spirit Generation, or CC respectively.

Replace Wave of Light with another ability; I would recommend something for survival, but if you have to use an offensive ability, I would go for a Mystic Ally (good supplementary DPS and distraction) or Lashing Tail Kick with the increased knockback (which does not work well on champions or elite packs).

If you do switch your primary to Deadly Reach, use Fire Storm for Sweeping Wind.

Make room for Serenity. There is a reason it is found in pretty much all monk builds. Peaceful Repose and Ascension are both good.

Ditch Exalted Soul; you don't generate spirit fast enough to hit the cap, and if you're hitting the cap (which I doubt), you're not using your spirit efficiently. Throw in Resolve or Beacon of Ytar. Transcendence is a good option, but you probably will not generate spirit fast enough to take full advantage of it.
Okay, I'm going to mess with the skills. Serenity in and wave of light out seems to be the tone. Thanks for the comments.

scy

So how do the damage reduction formulas for armor and resistance work?

You said 10,000 Armor is 76% Damage Reduction, so the damage reduction from armor is calculated as Armor * 0.76 (assuming you are the same level as the enemy)? Or is it not that simple? How does it work with resistances?

Damage Dealt * (1 - ArmorDR%) * (1 - ResistDR%) * (1 - OtherDR%)

So in the event of the 10,000 Armor and 76% DR:

100,000 * (1 - .76) * (1 - 0) * (1 - 0)
= 100,000 * (.24) = 24,000.

Edit: And 76% Mitigation was calculated from:

Armor / (Armor + 50 * Enemy Level)
10,000 / (10,000 + 50 * 63)
10,000 / 13,150 = ~76.05%

Where 63 is the usual Inferno enemy level.

It's not really an oddity; each percent of mitigation from Armor and Resistances takes more and more themselves but since they're multiplicative, you get more mileage out of them being even rather than skewed. That is, 4000 Armor / 400 Resistances -> 5000 Armor / 300 Resistances isn't really a fair comparison since 4000 -> 5000 Armor is a different jump than 300 -> 400 Resistances.

...anyway, yeah, the most efficient use is to keep Armor = 10 * Resistances.

lmq

Neo Member
Hi. I just finished Hell with my monk. I know I'm undergeared for Inferno, but I don't know how much – what DPS/armor/life/resistances should I roughly have before seriously trying act 1? I'm currently on ~5k DPS, ~3.8k armor, ~25k life and ~240 all resistances, and could do the first quests with that, but most elite mobs beat me up pretty hard...

scy

Damage is low but it works great as an off hand quiver

I just want to point out that due to how Dual Wield works, using this is a DPS downgrade if your Main Hand is better (e.g., around 250 DPS or higher). The Attack Speed on it is self-contained so Dual Wielding it is just +15% IAS to both weapons due to the DW bonus but you still alternate attacks between MH and OH so time spent shooting that weapon is ultimately lowering your damage.

It's never worth it to Dual Wield a weapon merely for the stats of the off-hand weapon. It must be comparable (within 20%, realistically closer to 5-10%) of your Main Hand to be a real damage increase.

I was stuck farming inf act 1 with my WD so I started a barb. Ah, melee, so refreshing. I also started another WD (female this time) to help remind me how fun the WD was, haha.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I just want to point out that due to how Dual Wield works, using this is a DPS downgrade if your Main Hand is better (e.g., around 250 DPS or higher). The Attack Speed on it is self-contained so Dual Wielding it is just +15% IAS to both weapons due to the DW bonus but you still alternate attacks between MH and OH so time spent shooting that weapon is ultimately lowering your damage.

It's never worth it to Dual Wield a weapon merely for the stats of the off-hand weapon. It must be comparable (within 20%, realistically closer to 5-10%) of your Main Hand to be a real damage increase.

so is dual wielding 2 500's better than 1 500 bow and a quiver that is equivalent to the duals total stats?

Zyzyxxz

Hi. I just finished Hell with my monk. I know I'm undergeared for Inferno, but I don't know how much – what DPS/armor/life/resistances should I roughly have before seriously trying act 1? I'm currently on ~5k DPS, ~3.8k armor, ~25k life and ~240 all resistances, and could do the first quests with that, but most elite mobs beat me up pretty hard...

I'm a Wizard and with my buffs I'm at near 400 physical resist and 250 for the rest. 30K hp, 20K DPS.

Even with those stats most mobs would own me if I didn't have a strategy. Google some builds that are good for taking on elite mobs since I don't know how to play a monk. I have to constantly kite and been doing butcher runs in solo and groups alright but I still have to play carefully.

pigeon

Banned
so is dual wielding 2 500's better than 1 500 bow and a quiver that is equivalent to the duals total stats?

Yes. Quivers have a guaranteed 10% IAS, but dual wielding two identical weapons is the equivalent of 15% IAS. (Obviously if your weapon also has that 10% IAS it's even better.)

scy

The DW would be better ever so slightly if only just for the higher Hatred generation; if you can socket them both, you can get +Crit Damage% on both of them which is better than +DEX in a Quiver as well.

nitric0

Act 1 Inferno wasn't too bad, but my goodness the difficulty boost from Act 1 to Act 2 is the highest I've ever seen in a videogame. We had 2 tanks and 2 dps and couldn't get past the first champion pack. Doesn't help that our tanks get 3 shotted. Now to farm Act 1 for better loot I guess..

Tom Penny

My only suggestion is to buy new armour and equipment with dexterity vitality and and one specific resistance..then use one with everything so you resist all 4 the same. You should be able to do that relatively cheaply. Also use a shield.

Act 1 Inferno wasn't too bad, but my goodness the difficulty boost from Act 1 to Act 2 is the highest I've ever seen in a videogame. We had 2 tanks and 2 dps and couldn't get past the first champion pack. Doesn't help that our tanks get 3 shotted. Now to farm Act 1 for better loot I guess..

It's a joke and near impossible with my Monk. I'm starting a Wizard until they patch the game which should make it waaay better and actually doable.

balddemon

Banned

thats probalby why lol

balddemon

Banned
Guess we need 4 dps? lol. Well I play with my friends and we have 1monk 1 barb 1 dh(me) and 1 wiz.

nah i mean too many people

i can solo act 1 inferno in my sleep but add 2 more ppl (or 3) and it becomes near impossible unless they are really well geared. right now with the extra damage monsters do in inferno its almost not worth it to group up imo

nitric0

nah i mean too many people

i can solo act 1 inferno in my sleep but add 2 more ppl (or 3) and it becomes near impossible unless they are really well geared. right now with the extra damage monsters do in inferno its almost not worth it to group up imo

That's the thing. We're pretty well geared and cruised through act 1 inferno. But my goodness we can't even get past the 3rd checkpoint in Act 2. It's stupid difficult.

Further clarified raffle details in the OP. I kept getting messages :(

Fun fact about PMs - ever since I decided to do the OT for this, the number of PMs I've sent/received has climbed astronomically.

TheYanger

That's the thing. We're pretty well geared and cruised through act 1 inferno. But my goodness we can't even get past the 3rd checkpoint in Act 2. It's stupid difficult.

His point was more that with 4 people the mobs do...I think 60%? more damage right now :) Having 4 people doesn't magically make you take that much less (Barb + monk boost each other ok. everyone else stinks for this). It gets way harder to survive as a melee. Act 2 is ridiculously harder than act 1 regardless of course.

balddemon

Banned
His point was more that with 4 people the mobs do...I think 60%? more damage right now :) Having 4 people doesn't magically make you take that much less (Barb + monk boost each other ok. everyone else stinks for this). It gets way harder to survive as a melee. Act 2 is ridiculously harder than act 1 regardless of course.

this.
http://www.clicktoloot.com/p/combat.html#multiplayer scaling
monsters do 145% more in inferno and since they already do like 1p3907dmg in act 2 then you multiply that times 1.45 and u get a big number

Cagey

Banned

God I know how this feels. First week the game launched, I had a big LAN party with three long time friends.

We breezed through Act 1 Inferno... and corpse-leaped our way through Act 2.

The Inferno penalty for playing with friends is such bullshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom