• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

Maybe I just have more gold than most, but the repair bill from deaths doesn't even come close to what I pull in from drops. Granted I do the chest/goblin/etc runs, but if I had the DPS for champ runs, I can't imagine the bills piling up so high that it would be worth it to me to sacrifice DPS for "survivability".

Well no, if it did you wouldn't be doing it, right? Besides the fact that we'll be spending probably 5x as much on repairs, though, these deaths eat up a lot of time, as does the tactics sometimes required to kill champs (i.e. you are kiting three times as much as necessary because you can't afford to take even trivial damage). When survivability stats actually start working as a buffer not just against death but allowing you to mitigate that lost time that piles up, it starts to become pretty attractive. The only reason this strategy is actually prominent rather than just viable is because that trade-off isn't working efficiently specifically in regards to time. Part of the reason enemy health is going down along with enemy damage output is specifically to reduce the value of your damage output along with increasing the value of your TTL via their damage output nerf.

?

Increased repair costs have everything to do with the economy as a whole. I was commenting on just that aspect of the post.

Edit: Reading the linked article, I see that it was a Ranged vs Melee debate specifically. On that topic specifically, I agree that they don't really get it. The advantage ranged has (and will always have) is that we can maximize DPS without really having to worry about survivability.

After the change, melee will be able to focus less on survivability. Thats the point. Closing the gap. Not making the gap equal to 0 in a simgle patch.

One thing at a time. After the effects of the changes can be seen on a global scale, then they can go make more adjustments, if necessary

I do normally go with the skills/passives your suggesting but I switched it up last night to some lesser used ones when i was redoing act4. I normally go with this crit build or this for survivability/bosses. I guess i need to spend some gold on the AH.

You know about elective mode right? Just asking after looking at your builds

Here's the build I like to use in inferno, totally ripped from Kripp:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WSPTVk!egb!acZbcc

Revenge + Furious Charge are really good for keeping you alive, and wrath + earthquake is amazing for killing elite packs. Sometimes in groups I switch to something with ground stomp and leap, but I mainly stick to this build and its been working well so far. I'm not able to do anything in act 2 as of yet though, need more gear first

Lexxon

So, today I learned my monk build works pretty damned well.

Very interesting. I'm a level 51 monk playing with my friends when we get the chance. We'll be running as a Wizard, Witch Doctor and myself, and I've been looking for builds that I'll end up needing in inferno (or when Hell starts needing someone tanky). I'm bookmarking this and will give it a try when the time comes.

RDreamer

Very interesting. I'm a level 51 monk playing with my friends when we get the chance. We'll be running as a Wizard, Witch Doctor and myself, and I've been looking for builds that I'll end up needing in inferno (or when Hell starts needing someone tanky). I'm bookmarking this and will give it a try when the time comes.

Awesome. Let me know how it goes for you. For me it means the champs in Act 1 don't do squat to me. I can now tank a good amount in Act 2, too. The only thing is your clicker fingers get really tired going back and forth like that. I need to switch one of those to a button or something.

But, yeah, with some good mitigation gear it seems to help quite a bit.

Artanisix

Speaking of RMAH, anyone planning on using it? I have no issues spending $5-20 on it every few weeks, hell I make plenty more than that at my job and I don't buy any games (only play D3 and Dota 2). I'll definitely wait until it dies down a bit though, there's no doubt that it's going to be overpriced at first.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
"While before the damage was so large it just felt pointless to try and mitigate any of it at all, after the change hopefully ranged classes will think "well, if I just put on a modest amount of survivability, I don't get 1-shot, so that's worth it."

I don't get 1-shot...so that's worth tens of millions of gold (for resist all/dex/vit/IAS gear)? When I could just do 100k plus crit damage, like DH's are already doing, and use the tools available (smokescreen, tumble, etc) to avoid being hit?

=/

I don't understand how you're interpreting it that way.

He's saying that the current mentality is that, even if you do spend a ton of money on defensive gear, you'll get one-shot anyway, so people just say "fuck it" and go balls out DPS gear.

What he's saying is that, after the patch, a modest amount of defensive gear (not tens of millions of gold, obviously) will prevent your ranged guy from getting killed in one hit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of RMAH, anyone planning on using it? I have no issues spending $5-20 on it every few weeks, hell I make plenty more than that at my job and I don't buy any games (only play D3 and Dota 2). I'll definitely wait until it dies down a bit though, there's no doubt that it's going to be overpriced at first.

I know they'd never do it, but I think it would be awesome if there was a way to tell if a piece of gear a player had equipped came from the RMAH.

Anustart

Is there a way to kill the butcher that doesn't require luck?

My witch doctor with 24k dps just gets tossed around. For one, the butcher can and will kill you while you're in spirit walk, and sadly my wd is also not fast enough to get out of the way of his multi-chain whip attack either.

Guess I'm just frustrated because I find it stupid that spirit walk is reduced to nothing in the fight because he ignores it and kills you anyway.

RDreamer

Sweet! Inferno Butcher down! Onto Act II! Surely the mobs can't hit as hard as everybo..... AHHHH! TINY INSECTS!!!!

That really is the most hilarious contrast of the game. Have fun absolutely destroying that huge scary butcher? Well, have fun getting slaughtered before you can think by a tiny insect right afterward. I literally walked out and promptly died my first time in Act 2. Didn't even get a hit in.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

My witch doctor with 24k dps just gets tossed around. For one, the butcher can and will kill you while you're in spirit walk, and sadly my wd is also not fast enough to get out of the way of his multi-chain whip attack either.

Guess I'm just frustrated because I find it stupid that spirit walk is reduced to nothing in the fight because he ignores it and kills you anyway.

His normal close-range melee attacks are extremely weak.

You just have to dodge his power attack where he stamps the ground a few times first. You also have to avoid the charge attack and the floor catching on fire. That's it.

If you can survive his normal melee attacks while keeping yourself healed (not hard at all with modest Life on Hit), just fight him close-range and he's a pushover.

rCIZZLE

The multi-chain one is probably the most trickiest. Honestly, if I were you I'd just go buy some vit/res all equip cheaply and lose some damage for this fight just so you can survive one of those hits. He normally telegraphs his attack pretty well and if you have decent reactions you can avoid the "get over here" move and the charge very easily.

Tapiozona

Banned
I'm trying not to flood this thread with weapon appraisals but I just bought my very first thing and I think I got a pretty good deal though I still spent more money than I thought I ever would. Someone was selling this through the general chat (on the right)...

Staff.jpg

I paid 300k for it which seems like a lot but I've never seen anything with damage over 1,000, or even close to it for that matter. Plus I've saved my money till now (level 59) so I have a decent amount to spend.

Artanisix

Butcher can very VERY easily be bursted down in less than 30~ seconds with a WD. Go a vision quest build with Gargantuan, Fetishes, the Big Bad Voodoo + mana rune, and another long cd spell. Get vision quest passive, and have zombie bears on right click. BOOM BOOM BABY

LordCanti

He's saying that the current mentality is that, even if you do spend a ton of money on defensive gear, you'll get one-shot anyway, so people just say "fuck it" and go balls out DPS gear.

What he's saying is that, after the patch, a modest amount of defensive gear (not tens of millions of gold, obviously) will prevent your ranged guy from getting killed in one hit.

Speaking of my build specifically, most deaths come when enemies (plural) come out of absolutely nowhere and rip me to shreds. Two soul rippers for instance, or the jumpers from act 2, the big ugly red guys (or the angels) from Act 4, etc. It's not something I can mitigate, control, or foresee. If you cut their damage by half I'd still get destroyed. Making my build able to take one or two hits from junk mobs is worthless when a champ is still going to come in with plague/fire/etc and kill me.

I understand how this is helpful to melee, but as a DH specifically (not a Wizard, as I can't speak for them) I don't know how this is helpful, or how this gives me any more options than I had before.

Like I said previously, the only real way to tank as a DH is Opiate's Shadow Power build, which trades one discipline centric survivability path for another. If this helps that build, then DH's now have two options instead of one. Having two options total is a problem.

This is undoubtedly great for melee characters though.

I paid 300k for it which seems like a lot but I've never seen anything with damage over 1,000, or even close to it for that matter. Plus I've saved my money till now (level 59) so I have a decent amount to spend.

Did you buy the staff? If so, you got taken for a ride methinks.

Shouta

My current Monk stats. I'm lacking a little more Resist and HP right now. My block chance is a little low and my attack speed could be better but eh, I'm fairly ok with my gear right now.

Cipherr

This. I really dont see how this isnt understood. The idea is that even a modest amount of defensive gear lets you survive a few hits, and that if you spent a ton on defensive gear you would survive a ton of hits. Thats the goal, to make survivability an option.

Right now, no set of gear no matter how defensive as a DH will stop an offscreen soul leecher from one shotting you if you dont know its coming. And if you did manage to get gear that prevented that one shot, your dps would be in the gutter right there with most melee. These changes they are proposing are very very very clearly a step in the right direction.

Cagey

Banned
For DHs and/or market watchers...

What's the going rate on a Kate Beckinsale with ~60-70 dexterity and +discipline?

Tapiozona

Banned
Did you buy the staff? If so, you got taken for a ride methinks.

Doh. Ya, I bought it from someone advertising it over the general chat. I lost some protection but gained over 8k in damage for my wizard..i only do 10k right now so it's a pretty big boost for me.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Ok I basically farmed a bit today on hell ( :( ) and got myself resistances of 45-50% damage reduction across the board of elements (that's a 15-20% increase) and 72% total damage reduction

DPS 17k, HP 45k, armor 7.5k

I plan on increasing my DPS to approx 23k

I'm a little pissed that almost all high stat for barbs/all resist is in such stupid demand that it's hard to buy anything worth owning

I predict I'll jump into inferno and get slaughtered still :p

Ok I basically farmed a bit today on hell ( :( ) and got myself resistances of 45-50% damage reduction across the board of elements (that's a 15-20% increase) and 72% total damage reduction

DPS 17k, HP 45k, armor 7.5k

I plan on increasing my DPS to approx 23k

I'm a little pissed that almost all high stat for barbs/all resist is in such stupid demand that it's hard to buy anything worth owning

I predict I'll jump into inferno and get slaughtered still :p

How do you have that much dps never having been to inferno? Are you going DW or 2h? Or using offensive passives?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
How do you have that much dps never having been to inferno? Are you going DW or 2h? Or using offensive passives?

Stacking the hell out of STR... Getting a high DPS weapon (1H)

Im actually holding back a bit... I could have 20+ k DPS by just using a 2H weap, but I really need a shield now... So I'm going to save money to get a 1k+ weap... Hopefully with barb stats if possible

You can actually look this up in the AH. Apparently 1mil would be a steal given the going rates for this.

I looked it up, that's how I came up with the 1mil estimate. It's the first good item I've tried to sell though, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake.

Doh. Ya, I bought it from someone advertising it over the general chat. I lost some protection but gained over 8k in damage for my wizard..i only do 10k right now so it's a pretty big boost for me.
Unfortunately I think that staff probably goes for 5k or so on the AH, if it sells at all.

eek5

I'm trying not to flood this thread with weapon appraisals but I just bought my very first thing and I think I got a pretty good deal though I still spent more money than I thought I ever would. Someone was selling this through the general chat (on the right)...

Staff.jpg

Why not check the AH?

AHSTAFFS.jpg

Define "Free"

I have 5 stacks right now otherwise I'd check.

15k gets you a 1k dps staff in US

Just beat Butcher on Act 1 normal in hardcore.

Hardcore way more tense, feels good man.

My level 60 Wiz is sitting in Act 1 Inferno and I don't really have motivation to continue with that until 1.03. Meanwhile my friends are chain-dying their way through Act 2, which reinforces the wisdom of my decision.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have 100 hours in the game, and I still haven't seen a single Legendary drop. :(

(I have horrible luck in real life too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom