• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait. You can get dyes cheaper from the AH? How much cheaper? I've always wanted to try the high end dyes but 5k for a dye is just ridiculous.

just around 2k gold cheaper from what I saw. I don't really notice the difference between winter dye and the expensive white stuff, to be honest.

GorillaJu

Damn apparently I'm on a roll. Yesterday got some Lacuni bracers that I sold for 4m, and just now a Tal Rasha chest with 12 as and 100 vit dropped.

panty

That's it, I can't do shit in act 2. First elite pack I encounter and I'm dead, several times a row.

I do shit for damage and no matter what skills/buffs I use, my monk dies pretty quickly.

EmXSr.png

Woo-Fu

Banned
When it comes to my issues with witch doctor, I was hoping people would say 'it gets better' but instead it seems to be 'yeah, we suck'. Maybe a patch will help at some point, until then there's Dragon's Dogma.

WD is awesome. I'm farming Act 3 of Inferno nowadays. If 'we suck' it is news to me.

The only WD issue I know of is pet scaling. If you're dead set on using pets into inferno you'll have to stick with the fetishes.

Is this just the typical crying you see when somebody chooses a class that isn't overpowered and the best at everything?

Inferno itself narrows the list of viable specs for every class, not just Witch Doctor, BTW. If you don't want to kite and blowdart then don't. Whatever you pick for damage you will kite in inferno, though. Not because WD "sucks" but because inferno elites have ungodly amounts of HP and seem highly resistant to slows/snares.

Cobano

Neo Member
So I got some money stuck in limbo on the AH. 300k that refuses to be sent to my stash. Sucks because I just started inferno and I could really use that cash to gear up. Not sure if its a bug, tried restarting the game but didnt help

Dina

WD is awesome. I'm farming Act 3 of Inferno nowadays. If 'we suck' it is news to me.

The only WD issue I know of is pet scaling. If you're dead set on using pets into inferno you'll have to stick with the fetishes.

Is this just the typical crying you see when somebody chooses a class that isn't overpowered and the best at everything?

Inferno itself narrows the list of viable specs for every class, not just Witch Doctor, BTW.

Running out of mana spamming splinters is what I don't like about the class. I see no reason why our spells couldn't be free like the Wizard's. Since our innate mana regen is so shit compared to Arcane Energy, when you've spend all your mana you are fucked.

I just started my WD alt recently. I'm using poison dart for my main attack, but I also always have a AOE attack as well. So far into act 2 NM, my strategy has been spirit walk into mobs, soul harvest, grasp of the dead, spam AoE until oom I was using locusts but I find spamming acid clouds works much better, than I just dart any stragglers or let my gargantuan clean them up.

What part of this strategy will I have to change eventually for those in higher difficulty?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Running out of mana spamming splinters is what I don't like about the class. I see no reason why our spells couldn't be free like the Wizard's. Since our innate mana regen is so shit compared to Arcane Energy, when you've spend all your mana you are fucked.
I don't run out of mana spamming splinters and I'm doing it at an attack speed of 2.3. Get mana regen on a couple of your items and use blood ritual as one of your passives.

Though it would be nice if I needed less mana regen. :)

Woo-Fu

Banned
I just started my WD alt recently. I'm using poison dart for my main attack, but I also always have a AOE attack as well. So far into act 2 NM, my strategy has been spirit walk into mobs, soul harvest, grasp of the dead, spam AoE until oom I was using locusts but I find spamming acid clouds works much better, than I just dart any stragglers or let my gargantuan clean them up.

What part of this strategy will I have to change eventually for those in higher difficulty?

You won't want to use your spirit walk to get into a good position for soul harvest. You'll want to save it to get out of bad positions. :) You might forego soul harvest entirely, I have. In my experience Int buffs aren't much use when you're dead.

You won't want to use your spirit walk to get into a good position for soul harvest. You'll want to save it to get out of bad positions. :) You might forego soul harvest entirely, I have. In my experience Int buffs aren't much use when you're dead.
Good point about spirit walk. The games too easy right now to really need to save it right now. Just makes lining up 5 monsters easier really.

Soul Harvest isn't just for my damage increase (which is a substantial one at least ATM) I also have the healing rune for it. How do you heal without it?

Wallach

http://www.twitch.tv/rrowland

This guy is about to finish soloing Inferno Diablo as a 2h Barb (softcore). In a 4 player game (the other three players are apparently intentionally dead).

Edit - lulz he died at the last second

Edit 2 - He did it on the second try. Good shit.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Good point about spirit walk. The games too easy right now to really need to save it right now. Just makes lining up 5 monsters easier really.

Soul Harvest isn't just for my damage increase (which is a substantial one at least ATM) I also have the healing rune for it. How do you heal without it?

Blood Ritual, Spirit Walk, Hex, potions. Don't really need that much healing when you can only take a couple hits max. You spend most of your time at full HP or at no HP. Surviving Inferno is about not getting hit in the first place.

Oh, and look into Life on Hit. Life on Hit makes everything easier and is practically required once you get your DPS over 30k base and find yourself committing suicide trying to kill elites with reflect damage. I expect they'll nerf the crap out of it any day now to make it as worthless as life leech.

Carcetti

Nice tone, I didn't realize we're on gamefaqs or blizzard forums.

I thought I pretty much explained that I wanted to use pets. Fetishes is not cutting it. It's like playing a hunter with a pet 1-70 in WoW and then having Blizz remove it 70-80 and say you gotta just use the gun from now on.

Plus I'm not getting the point of slowly regenning and huge mana pool, when every other class is made for fast and active gameplay.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Gargantuan gets fragile by the time you reach Hell, specially the later acts. I found out the 20% damage reduction passive to be pretty much required. Sometime during Hell you'll acquire the rune that allows the Gargantuan to stun: this is very, very useful, even bosses get stunned. By act 4 I was resummonning quite often, but still manageable. Gargantuan is useless in inferno.

For everything that isn't as manacheap as the Blowdart you will probably have mana troubles. Any build based on costly spells like Acid Cloud, the Undead Bears, etc... pretty much mandates VQ. Personally, Act 1 Inferno (butcher runs), as my gear improved I recently found out I make enough of a dent on enemies with Dire Bat I can comfortably use it again. SO glad I have an alternative to the blowdart lol.

Spirit Walk, well... someone got to it before me. Because of this, I no longer use Soul Harvest.

GorillaJu

I can't believe how much trouble Blizzard is having on their servers, the AH, etc.

They're a huge organization with nearly limitless funds... What could their excuse possibly be?

Gargantuan gets fragile by the time you reach Hell, specially the later acts. I found out the 20% damage reduction passive to be pretty much required. Sometime during Hell you'll acquire the rune that allows the Gargantuan to stun: this is very, very useful, even bosses get stunned. By act 4 I was resummonning quite often, but still manageable. Gargantuan is useless in inferno.

For everything that isn't as manacheap as the Blowdart you will probably have mana troubles. Any build based on costly spells like Acid Cloud, the Undead Bears, etc... pretty much mandates VQ. Personally, Act 1 Inferno (butcher runs), as my gear improved I recently found out I make enough of a dent on enemies with Dire Bat I can comfortably use it again. SO glad I have an alternative to the blowdart lol.

Spirit Walk, well... someone got to it before me. Because of this, I no longer use Soul Harvest.

Oh yeah, even now I can only cast acid cloud about 3 times before I have to go back to dart to finish everything off. It's super useful for large packs. Surely you guys aren't actually kiting and darting the 25 strong skeleton mobs and such? You don't just keep any AoE for the easy trash?

yacobod

Banned
got to belial on inferno last night, put in about an hour of attempts before i went to bed. got to phase 3 pretty much every time, but was having issues dodging meteors for whatever reason. my best attempt was 33% on my 2nd shot. at least i could avoid his ground strikes and spray w/out any issues, just need to clean up the meteors and should be an easy kill.

stats
31k hp
36k dps
300 all res
4200 armor

those are buffed w/force armor and force wpn

Still on Act 1 Hell.

I ditched Soul Harvest because not getting hit is better, the Int increase is situational, and I sorely missed having locusts. Honestly the only reason I tried out Soul Harvest for awhile is because every single build seemed to have it.

I just now got Healing Journey for Spirit Walk, but I haven't gotten to try it out yet (I've been using Jaunt which has worked pretty well for keeping me alive). I plan on getting Life to Hit the next time I find a great weapon that has a socket since I'm hearing glowing testimonies about it.

Also, how is Fireball (Flash Fire) in Inferno? I use it against large packs of enemies as an alternative to Spined Poison Darts (I don't have Zombie Bears yet, not a fan of a lot of the other costly AoE spells).

I thought I pretty much explained that I wanted to use pets. Fetishes is not cutting it.

Plus I'm not getting the point of slowly regenning and huge mana pool, when every other class is made for fast and active gameplay.
Pets are seriously that bad (when dogs are dying on Normal Mode, a mode where pretty much everything is invincible and it takes just Nightmare Act 1 for Gargantuan to start taking serious damage, something is wrong). You'll need to wait for the update which gives pets Vit scaling before they'll be worth trying out.

WD is also more about methodical methods of playing (which can be very active even if you're waiting for mana to recover) than the other classes.

Woo-Fu

Banned

I thought I pretty much explained that I wanted to use pets. Fetishes is not cutting it. It's like playing a hunter with a pet 1-70 in WoW and then having Blizz remove it 70-80 and say you gotta just use the gun from now on.

You're crying like it is gamefaqs or blizzard forums.

I already said you don't have to use darts as your main damage in inferno if you don't want to. I ran Haunt+Insect Plague for awhile, is better vs. large packs, not as good when you need focused single-target DPS.

Perhaps if your thought is that you can't play Witch Doctor the way you want to play it in 3 acts of 1 difficulty of a 4 difficulty game then that is what you should say. Or you could say "WD sucks" and sound like a crybaby from gamefaqs or the official forums, right? The problem isn't the Witch Doctor, the problem is the giant wall moving from act 1 to act 2 inferno and that wall is felt by most classes. Probably less so by DH and Wizard, while much more so by Monk and Barbarian.

I've already covered the mana regen issue. Get mana regen on 2-3 of your items and use blood ritual and your mana regen issues disappear. If the grass is greener on the other side of the mana regen fence then switch classes. I'm sure you'll find they have their fences too. As the only member of my typical group who doesn't have to go back to town and repair his armor after a rough elite fight in act 2 or 3 I can assure you that those fences exist :) Between spirit walk and having to be killed twice to actually die I hear plenty of grumbling about "why are you the only one who never dies", lol.

That's it, I can't do shit in act 2. First elite pack I encounter and I'm dead, several times a row.

I do shit for damage and no matter what skills/buffs I use, my monk dies pretty quickly.

EmXSr.png
Whats your DPS? should be over 20k with 2~As before you hit that shit.
As a monk you cannot tank in act II without HUGE resist. Just go straight DPS switch out MoH for MoC>OverAwe and change keen eye to FoT or CW>Concussion or Mangle.

Use Cyclone with the heal or dodge. Spamming this is great for interrupting actions and healing yourself and deal AOE dmg and bringing enemies within range of your CW. You can stack it with MoE +dodge for more survivability.

The only decent breath of heaven is Wrath because of the DPS boost other wise there are better things to spam like cyclone or Moh to heal you.

SSS>Fulminating instead of blinding works better and lasts longer and does more damage. It keeps you invulnerable for about 2.5 seconds and does up to 111+777 to all enemies within 7 yards of you.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WfXTkg!YUX!Zcbcaa
or this for more defense
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WfXThg!YUX!ZYbbaY

Zultan Khuul exploit is insane. lvl 60 Barb here @ 6 hours. Patch incoming i'm sure.

Fuuuu i need to get on this with my new wizard.

Also why break this, they know people will on spend RAH money on level 60 characters so the more you have the better it gets for them. D2 had tons of stuff to help get you to 60 as soon as possible, i dont think they will nerf it too bad.

Carcetti

Get mana regen on 2-3 of your items and use blood ritual and your mana regen issues disappear.

Hmm, nobody seems to say this on the official forums, so maybe I'll try this. 2-Handers seem to be much easier to get than 1-hander and mojo though.

You're crying like it is gamefaqs or blizzard forums.

Saying I don't like some design decisions on this class is not crying. You seem to know the game and have good advice, so you don't need to act like a dick to get the message through.

sega4ever

Hmm, nobody seems to say this on the official forums, so maybe I'll try this. 2-Handers seem to be much easier to get than 1-hander and mojo though.

Saying I don't like some design decisions on this class is not crying. You seem to know the game and have good advice, so you don't need to act like a dick to get the message through.

you do realize you were the dick right?

Home

AH is down again of course. Anyone know the value of a Radiant Star Topaz Pattern? Got really lucky with a chest in act 3.

eek5

http://www.twitch.tv/rrowland

This guy is about to finish soloing Inferno Diablo as a 2h Barb (softcore). In a 4 player game (the other three players are apparently intentionally dead).

Edit - lulz he died at the last second

Edit 2 - He did it on the second try. Good shit.

Woah 46% crit chance is insane lol

those gloves.. 16% IAS 10% crit chance 25% crit dmg :O

edit: watching him 1 shot whites is insane lol
edit2: holy shit the kongor guy (other 2H barb streamer) is so fucking pissed off :lol :lol

Mitama

you do realize you were the dick right?

Don't be silly. All Carcetti said was that he heard the general consensus on witch doctors was that they suck in inferno, to which Woo-Fu replied "Is this just the typical crying you see when somebody chooses a class that isn't overpowered and the best at everything?". For anyone that thinks WD is not broken: lol. This class is not supposed to rely solely on blowing darts and not using your pets after you reach late hell/inferno. Like someone mentioned earlier, it loses all its uniqueness and Blizzard already mentioned that they want multiple builds to be viable.

Blizzard are a bunch of retards for releasing the game in its current state though, sooo much stuff that's broken it's not even funny.

ShaneB

Zultan Khuul exploit is insane. lvl 60 Barb here @ 6 hours. Patch incoming i'm sure.

I feel like I'm the only person playing the game "normally" lol

Ah well, I've been enjoying every bit of it. I just kinda want to hurry up and get to 60 knowing that's were all the relevant loot is anyway :(

scy

@WD Mana - Worth noting that WD have the best regen and cheapest, percentage wise, spells. The class is kind of built around the idea of finding ways to tackle mana regen as opposed to Wizards who have to find ways to maximize their Arcane Power use due to the small pool they have.

As a monk you cannot tank in act II without HUGE resist.

Armor = 10 * Resist is a better solution. You're relatively fine with high DEX/high Dodge with 5000+ Armor/500+ Resists. It gets blown out of proportion how good Resists are, really. It's important to get a lot when you're going up from zero Resistances but, once it reaches the same mitigation as your Armor, you're better off raising both and not just stacking Resists.

Not to say that stacking resists doesn't help your defenses but just that it's inefficient compared to raising Armor and Resistances.

panty

Whats your DPS? should be over 20k with 2~As before you hit that shit.
As a monk you cannot tank in act II without HUGE resist. Just go straight DPS switch out MoH for MoC>OverAwe and change keen eye to FoT or CW>Concussion or Mangle.

Use Cyclone with the heal or dodge. Spamming this is great for interrupting actions and healing yourself and deal AOE dmg and bringing enemies within range of your CW. You can stack it with MoE +dodge for more survivability.

The only decent breath of heaven is Wrath because of the DPS boost other wise there are better things to spam like cyclone or Moh to heal you.

SSS>Fulminating instead of blinding works better and lasts longer and does more damage. It keeps you invulnerable for about 2.5 seconds and does up to 111+777 to all enemies within 7 yards of you.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WfXTkg!YUX!Zcbcaa
or this for more defense
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WfXThg!YUX!ZYbbaY

I changed deadly reach out because I did shit with it. Switched back to Crippling wave (mangle).

1W1DV.jpg

Res obviously buffed but it's like that constantly.

I have no money to spend on a new weapon. I have +130 int & +240 vit on that thing.

I am reaching the end of Act 1 Hell lvl 54 DH and I am starting to become tired of my build. I haven't gone balls out on the Auction House but my gear is ok (11K dps right now I think) This is my current build. I love Evasive Fire w/Covering Fire rune as my primary but I feel like I am not dealing with champs and elite mobs very well right now. I had to run away from my first mob! shameful. I am thinking that I should ditch evasive and use something else with vault as my gtfo manuver. I realize my choices may be more limited in Inferno so I want to enjoy a few more skills now. Suggestions?

moop1167

As a WD moving on to act 2 inferno, how much dps should my weapon have? I have 17K dps and act 1 is a cakewalk, but Act 2 feels like I need to kill faster to stay alive. My weapon has something like 660 dps. Anything higher than that has not dropped in numerous act 1 farming runs and anything that's a significant upgrade is 5M+ and I only have 3 mil gold. Frustrating.

scy

Res obviously buffed but it's like that constantly.

I have no money to spend on a new weapon. I have +130 int & +240 vit on that thing.

Honestly, at 1.61 APS I wouldn't use Crippling Wave due to how slow it is. And Mangle isn't going to cut it for making the damage better at the attack speed you got. I'd stick with Fist of Thunder > Lightning Flash (+16% Dodge) or Deadly Reach > Keen Eye (+50% Armor). Probably the latter as going up to ~7500 Armor ups your net mitigation to around 91.7%, though more Dodge isn't awful at your current stats.

Likewise, Mantra of Evasion > Hard Target gets you roughly the same mitigation that you currently have (you lose .1%) but nets you bonus Dodge. That bonus will greatly outweigh the Healing from MoH. I'd also go for the +Damage runes on Breath of Heaven and Blinding Flash to compensate for your damage.

Besides that, you need Life on Hit desperately :x

Edit: Basically:

Fist of Thunder > Lightning Flash (Deadly Reach > Keen Eye is an option too, but you said you didn't like DR when you tried it).
Mantra of Evasion > Hard Target
Breath of Heaven > Blazing Wrath
Blinding Flash > Faith in the Light (alternatively, Blinding Echo as the second Blind pulse still interrupts/flinches).

You can keep Lashing Tail or opt out for Sweeping Wind or an Ally. I'd personally go with an Earth Ally but no skills to spam for damage is a little bland :x

And why do you have INT socketed? VIT is better total survival then +4-ish all Resists. And MF% in your helm isn't helping your progression :x

panty

Honestly, at 1.61 APS I wouldn't use Crippling Wave due to how slow it is. And Mangle isn't going to cut it for making the damage better at the attack speed you got. I'd stick with Fist of Thunder > Lightning Flash (+16% Dodge) or Deadly Reach > Keen Eye (+50% Armor). Probably the latter as going up to ~7500 Armor ups your net mitigation to around 91.7%, though more Dodge isn't awful at your current stats.

Likewise, Mantra of Evasion > Hard Target gets you roughly the same mitigation that you currently have (you lose .1%) but nets you bonus Dodge. That bonus will greatly outweigh the Healing from MoH. I'd also go for the +Damage runes on Breath of Heaven and Blinding Flash to compensate for your damage.

Besides that, you need Life on Hit desperately :x

Edit: Basically:

Fist of Thunder > Lightning Flash (Deadly Reach > Keen Eye is an option too, but you said you didn't like DR when you tried it).
Mantra of Evasion > Hard Target
Breath of Heaven > Blazing Wrath
Blinding Flash > Faith in the Light (alternatively, Blinding Echo as the second Blind pulse still interrupts/flinches).

You can keep Lashing Tail or opt out for Sweeping Wind or an Ally. I'd personally go with an Earth Ally but no skills to spam for damage is a little bland :x
Nice thing is I have no money to spend on anything, fml.

Mantra of healing provides me with 20% all res and deadly reach is useless, can't play with it. If I'm surrounded it hits only one mob and it seems slower too. I do more often with it than cw. Changed boh.

I. Need. Coins.

"Old" build (yesterday), int changed already and some other things.

Dina

I don't run out of mana spamming splinters and I'm doing it at an attack speed of 2.3. Get mana regen on a couple of your items and use blood ritual as one of your passives.

Though it would be nice if I needed less mana regen. :)

Mana regen on items is what's missing, I agree. I could use a good mojo with manaregen, but ceremonial knives are so expensive I might cry. And not always an upgrade, I already have a pretti decent 820dps + IAS OH.

As for the passives, when solo I run with that manaregen, but in groups I tend to switch to bad medicine. Which leaves no room cause Pierce the Veil and Spirit bladibla are nobrainers.

So yeah, there's stuff which can make it work, but it sucks that it needs a workaround in the first place. The WD is the only class which can get OOM spamming his primary attack. It means I have to either sacrifice a passive slot or item budget to make it work, which hinders dps.

Other classes don't have to make these specific sacrifices just to spam their primary attacks.

Concept17

Still on Act 1 Hell.

I ditched Soul Harvest because not getting hit is better, the Int increase is situational, and I sorely missed having locusts. Honestly the only reason I tried out Soul Harvest for awhile is because every single build seemed to have it.

I just now got Healing Journey for Spirit Walk, but I haven't gotten to try it out yet (I've been using Jaunt which has worked pretty well for keeping me alive). I plan on getting Life to Hit the next time I find a great weapon that has a socket since I'm hearing glowing testimonies about it.

Also, how is Fireball (Flash Fire) in Inferno? I use it against large packs of enemies as an alternative to Spined Poison Darts (I don't have Zombie Bears yet, not a fan of a lot of the other costly AoE spells).

Pets are seriously that bad (when dogs are dying on Normal Mode, a mode where pretty much everything is invincible and it takes just Nightmare Act 1 for Gargantuan to start taking serious damage, something is wrong). You'll need to wait for the update which gives pets Vit scaling before they'll be worth trying out.

WD is also more about methodical methods of playing (which can be very active even if you're waiting for mana to recover) than the other classes.

Here is the build I used through most of Hell. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#acUdfR!!aaZZca

I was having a lot of mana problems early on, but this was resolved mostly by zombie bears. Both splinters and hex are pretty interchangable. I was often switching my last skill for different things depending on whether I was going solo or with friends.

For the first half of hell I used mana-less frogs, which worked pretty well. But in Act3 they weren't as reliable for consistent damage so I switched to splinters. The hex I was always switching, trying different things. Horrify with the mana rune was one of the better ones. Fetishes and VooDoo I felt were never worth it due to long cool-downs.

My playstyle was one of two things at all times. Kite using frogs/splinters, and spamming dire bats while lining up enemies. (dire bats goes THROUGH enemies and deals great damage, I'm still using them in inferno) I'm usually around half mana if I'm running around kiting. SO I often will spirit walk (mana rune) and get to near-full mana, and position myself to spam zombie bears. They DESTROY EVERYTHING. Best WD spell imo. They roll through elites, bosses, etc. Use them, but only do so when you can position yourself and you have plenty of mana.

I usually spend my entire pool of mana on bears, then return to kiting until I can spirit walk to full mana again. Remember too that you can grab health globes while in spirit walk. Between globes and healing rune on SH, you can get healed pretty quickly.

Like other classes, its mostly about timing and positioning. Spirit walk and SH are your best friends. If you don't have zombie bears yet, try another AOE spell that you can quickly spam. (no cooldown)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom