• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

i run w/out a primary so i have both. i find crystal shell to be invaluable for dealing with mobs with reflect damage, it kind of trivializes them if they don't have any other retarded mods.

True, it's amazing vs Reflect Damage. If I switch to a build without a Primary to spam, I'd probably do the same until I get enough Life Steal% (...and Damage) to make Reflect Damage trivial and I can slot Mirror Image or something. Dunno yet.

ttocs

ugh I can't live through
Baliel like acid aoe move

You know the ones where the entire ground gets covered. I am like lvl 22 wizard even using the ice armor that adsorbs damage.

Use teleport to get out of there. Usually you can move around and miss most of his attacks but it gets to a point where you can't and that is when teleport is helpful. Keep your armor on too and if you have diamond skin, that will help too for the times you just can't miss the attack.

Lombax

Banned
Eh, I think people sacrifice a bit too much DPS for the sake of survival. Mitigating better is the goal, yes, but if it now takes you 2 minutes to kill things, you need to mitigate that much better so you can survive 2 minutes. The design goal is focused around balancing of stats rather than going crazy one way or the other.

My Monk at ~30k HP, 4kish Armor, 400-something Resists can Dual Wield blow through Act 1 without really any concerns, for instance.

Unless it was early this morning (~4 AM+ CST), it was perfectly fine last time I was doing it.

I'll try shooting for that in terms of stats and see what happens. Out of curiosity what build are you using? Right now I am pretty much all defensive. Current Build

ttocs

Getting a mortar pack at the beginning of a stage is basically game over for my DH :/ No room to kite :(

Same here. My wizard can normally kite pretty well, but those damn mortar mobs are relentless. Another group I hate are the invulnerable minions. I had no idea that was even a thing until I unloaded a mana pool on one and it did nothing. Threw me for a loop.

scy

I'll try shooting for that in terms of stats and see what happens. Out of curiosity what build are you using? Right now I am pretty much all defensive. Current Build

My Monk's current build; Earth Ally spot rotates to Sweeping Wind > Blade Storm or Exploding Palm > Essence Burn or something as I see fit on trying things out. I have ~100 Life per Spirit Spent with Transcendence and I think around 500-ish Life on Hit (though, I can afford to get it to 700ish now by replacing a Gem) with two relatively cheap 600ish DPS Weapons.

Edit: Life on Hit carries a huge premium for weapons. Sockets don't. You can make two Star Amethysts for under a million gold (...) and, for a Dual Wield setup, that's +600 Life on Hit. A better prospect, in my opinion, than paying 2M+ for a similar DPS weapon that naturally has Life on Hit.

I was tempted to use this since it boosted my vit/dex by a LOT, but the lack of max discipline hurts it. Should still sell for a pretty penny, right?
Untitled-2.png

ShaneB

post your build plz.

At work, but let's see what I remember

Electrocute
Disintegrate

Diamond Skin
Force Armour
Hydra - Lightning
Blizzard - less Arcane

I can't remember each rune, but that's it. Spend most of my time kiting the elites, and so far it's done pretty well with my dps near 4k at... level... 54? Haven't looked at the AH for gear.

Venfayth

I keep trying to not use evasive fire (covering fire), and I keep failing :(

Devouring Arrow comes the closest, but I love being able to hit 3 things instantly anywhere on the screen. AND it goes throw walllssss.

yacobod

Banned
well that's not really that far off, i'm not sure disintegrate is very viable in inferno because you don't have time to stand still and cast.

I took down the Butcher this morning for the first time with a 5 stack and didn't get a thing. I can beat the butcher now though.

I've found my most profitable farming in act 1 to be the resplendent chest in the cave in the southern highland area. Maybe highland crossing. I don't remember the name. You can pull two packs before going in and guarantee three more once in. It seems like 25% of the time there’s a treasure gob too. Clear out the cave and apply magic find gear, rinse and then repeat.

Now I get to see the wall that is act II before the patch comes out.

Put some levels into my WD and reading the last page makes me want to stop right away again.
I think I will just play a Wizard till the patch rolls out.

I'm really regretting having picked WD for my main. I was hoping to play a pet based class but on darts/bats builds it feels like a less fun DH and bears builds are just dumb in inferno after act 1.

ttocs

well that's not really that far off, i'm not sure disintegrate is very viable in inferno because you don't have time to stand still and cast.

That's what I've been hearing a lot. Maybe switch to arcane orb or some other instant cast that you can use to kite with.

ShaneB

Yeah, I'm learning that in my Hell playthrough. It's nice when I'm in the back and shit is exploding and I don't have to worry, but I spend just as much time running around as well.

Zaptruder

Banned
Pre-nerf: 10k HP means anything over 3500 Damage will always deal 3500 Damage.
Post-nerf: 10k HP means anything over 3500 Damage but less than 10,000 Damage will deal 3500 Damage; if it's 10,000+ Damage, you'll die still.

Basically, it means that you still want to gear Mitigation (+Armor, +Resists) and +HP rather than just going super low HP with Life Regen. It's still worth using until your defensive stats are high enough that nothing hits you for 35%+ of your HP.

No reason for Cold in particular, any Resist works. That Shield though has +Cold Resist and +All Resist so it's better for Monks stacking Cold.

This is incorrect.

Post-nerf means that force armor will only reduce at max your HP in health - at the cost of 35% of your health.

So if you suffer a 10,001 damage hit, you'll eat 3501.

If you suffer a 16,500 damage hit, you'll die.

scy

This is incorrect.

Post-nerf means that force armor will only reduce at max your HP in health - at the cost of 35% of your health.

So if you suffer a 10,001 damage hit, you'll eat 3501.

If you suffer a 16,500 damage hit, you'll die.

Oh!

Well, I feel a bit dumb for not noticing that.

GorillaJu

Finally fisted the mighty fister, Belial.

When I just concentrated on not getting hit and just hitting him with tentacles in between, he went down like a wuss! He only got to do his channeling move where he sticks his hands in the ground and blows shit up one time.

Suppose Act 3 inferno will now kick my ass, eh? :)

How much should one have in the way of HP, resists, etc. for Act 3? I'm at 500 resists avg. and 35k HP. DPS fluctuates between 28k and 55k depending on Sharpshooter %. Maybe a few more improvements and I'll be ok?

Oh!

Well, I feel a bit dumb for not noticing that.

By the way I found a buyer for my Lacuni Prowlers. Someone kindly took them off my hands for 4.5 mil. Looks like your 400k was downright highway robbery.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Thanks, I'll give it a go later today. Thanks for ^ reply as well.

i used multishot as well but i think you can get away without it and use something else ( could try fan of knives for a quick crowd control skill). its also pretty useless in inferno. for preparation I used battle scars in Hell. saved me a lot when i need a quick rehealth and pots/ smokescreen were not avail. but in inferno i moved to back up plan because smoke screen is much more beneficial than health.

scosher

By the way I found a buyer for my Lacuni Prowlers. Someone kindly took them off my hands for 4.5 mil. Looks like your 400k was downright highway robbery.

I've been seeing them on the AH for some ridiculous prices. +Movement speed on a non-boots piece seems to be an extremely coveted stat.

scy

To be fair, I also got mine before people realized that +25% Movement is damn nice to have when you're kiting :x

I looked into replacing mine with something with more INT (or INT/VIT) but, y'know what? I think I'm perfectly fine where I'm at.

I use both Darts and Firebombs, so for me it's really Firebombs vs. any other AoE spell the WD has.
I just don't AoE everything down anymore, it's not effective enough. Darts, Haunt, and Spirit Barrage make up my offensive capabilities and it works wonders right now in Act 2 Inferno.

Honestly, the strategy changes A LOT for Witch Doctors come Inferno... at least in my case it did. For most of the game pre-Inferno Witch Doctor was about Soul Harvesting everything imaginable and then using Dire Bats, Firebombs, Zombie Dogs, Zombie Bears, Acid Rain, Raid of Frogs, GotD with Rain of Corpses, and whatever else I could AoE with. I really didn't single target anything but there was a lot of area damage, a lot of getting in the fray, getting hit a few times, and then siphoning life and retreating with Spirit Walk. My Gargantuan was also a huge part of play, especially for Champions and bosses.

In Inferno I use Darts and Spirit Barrage which massacres practically every normal mob instantly - taking down an entire group is pretty simple but it's all just shooting each one individually really quick. When it comes to Champion packs it's ALL kiting ALL the time, in that case Haunt is MAJOR in dealing damage over time while I run around with them, I throw out Zombie Walls whenever I can to hold them in place and whittle them down with Darts/SB and save Spirit Walk for when I need to deal with walls/frozen/jailers. I use Horrify to fear whenever possible as well, let them run for a few seconds and then blast them to hell until they come back and I have to continue kiting.

FrankT

Kind of just getting started really is there a best or most well rounded class for solo end game? Started a Barb but kind of wondering if I may need to mix it up.

Electrocute
Disintegrate

Diamond Skin
Force Armour
Hydra - Lightning
Blizzard - less Arcane

I can't remember each rune, but that's it. Spend most of my time kiting the elites, and so far it's done pretty well with my dps near 4k at... level... 54? Haven't looked at the AH for gear.

Once you hit inferno things change...

la_briola

Act 3, with my new HP boost, is a breeze. :)
I also have a ~200 dps 1h weapon with 1k LoH for the damage reflect elites.
exception: invu. minions :p

gEwJF.jpg

GorillaJu

Kind of just getting started really is there a best or most well rounded class for solo end game? Started a Barb but kind of wondering if I may need to mix it up.

Play whatever you like, but consensus seems to be that Barbs are the weakest class overall. Not that it stops people from using them well, it's just the way things are right now, to succeed at the high end you need to limit yourself to essentially one build type.

I believe Demon Hunters are maybe the strongest, followed by Wizards (could be reversed, actually), with Monks behind either of those two, and WDs lagging slightly further.

kpeezy

Banned
I've been seeing them on the AH for some ridiculous prices. +Movement speed on a non-boots piece seems to be an extremely coveted stat.

The reason they're so popular is move speed AND IAS. I haven't seen any other bracer with IAS.

edit for correct quote :)

scosher

Electrocute
Disintegrate

Diamond Skin
Force Armour
Hydra - Lightning
Blizzard - less Arcane

Play a build you enjoy through Hell, because by Inferno, a lot of builds become rendered too weak -- either they get killed too easily or dps too slowly (cause you spend much more time kiting). Disintegrate is awesome fun and I used it all the time for most of NM and Hell, but Arcane Orb soon replaced it simply because it's much more suitable for kiting than a channelled spell.

I pretty much alternate between the two cookie cutter builds, but you can still differentiate it a bit with choice of runes and passives. The only must-haves seem to be:

Venom Hydra
Force Weapon
Force Armor (or I suppose Prismatic if you have the gear, but I'm not there yet at all)

I also think Teleport (Fracture) w/ Illusionist passive is easily the Wizard's best panic button. It's up quite a bit, and the images you spawn seem to be invulnerable (always seem to last full duration, which might get nerfed) giving you good DPS time if the enemies are distracted. I prefer Arcane Orb over Blizz/Shock Pulse spam, but I think Blizz + Piercing Orb is more versatile and safer overall, since Arcane Orb is not as useful when you face shielding or invulnerable elite packs.

scy

The reason they're so popular is move speed AND IAS. I haven't seen any other bracer with IAS.

Well, the IAS% is nice too and they were appropriately priced for IAS% Bracers for awhile. Now that Movement Speed is a priority for three classes AND IAS% value went up, the prices skyrocketed.

Off-hand, they're the only Bracers with IAS% (...and, well, only Bracers with +Movement Speed%).

la_briola

Before I forget it again.

EU Server: I'm selling top notch boots (+6 random properties) for *every* class. Call me Al Bundy!

I have so many Monk boots with dex, vit, all resi + fire/arcane/lighting/poison/cold.

edit: and movement speed, too.

If someone wants a new pair, add: killdashnine#1855 and drop me a message.

Czigga

Yay got my first legendary and i was lucky enough to get WD friendly stats.

Took me about 80 hrs total play time for it to drop. Definitely the highlight of my Diablo 3 experience so far.

pigeon

Banned
ok am I alone in thinking that Inferno takes all the fun out of the monk? Granted I am only in act 1 but in order to survive I have had to bump up my HP to 42k, yank out all my dex gems to replace them with +HP so that now I am to the point of 6k DPS, 42k HP, and 284 Resist all...Its as if this mode forced me to become a tank. Sure I stay alive but it take forever to kill anything shit is just boring now.

For the record, hit points are the least effective way to boost Monk survivability, because the Monk heals don't scale to health pool, but they do scale (effectively) to every other defensive stat. I suspect the people who complain the most about Monk survivability on the officials are the people who aren't balancing their armor, resists, and dodge effectively and trying to stack hit points instead. Barbarian heals (mostly) scale to health pool, and they have Vitality-related passives, so stacking health is a much better proposition for them.

ShaneB

Play a build you enjoy through Hell, because by Inferno, a lot of builds become rendered too weak -- either they get killed too easily or dps too slowly (cause you spend much more time kiting). Disintegrate is awesome fun and I used it all the time for most of NM and Hell, but Arcane Orb soon replaced it simply because it's much more suitable for kiting than a channelled spell.

I pretty much alternate between the two cookie cutter builds, but you can still differentiate it a bit with choice of runes and passives. The only must-haves seem to be:

Venom Hydra
Force Weapon
Force Armor (or I suppose Prismatic if you have the gear, but I'm not there yet at all)

I also think Teleport (Fracture) w/ Illusionist passive is easily the Wizard's best panic button. It's up quite a bit, and the images you spawn seem to be invulnerable (always seem to last full duration, which might get nerfed) giving you good DPS time if the enemies are distracted. I prefer Arcane Orb over Blizz/Shock Pulse spam, but I think Blizz + Piercing Orb is more versatile and safer overall, since Arcane Orb is not as useful when you face shielding or invulnerable elite packs.

Some good info here, thanks for the post!

inky

So String of Ears/Lantern/Stormshield pretty much required for Act 3/4? 40ish % Block chance +18-20% melee dmg reduction sounds like a lot. Can I work around that? I don't want to make the same mistake I did in Act I and buy a ton of sidegrades at best, and just farm until I can afford those items. Is it worth buying one of those Stormshields with 20% base block for like 4 million, or should I just wait for the good ones with like 28-30%?

Rufus

Now, in Inferno, getting hit even once or twice by a most enemies isn't really an option so that strategy goes completely out of the window. You technically could Spirit Walk, get close to enemies, Soul Harvest, and then back off before Spirit Walk ends but it's very risky and, more often than not, you won't get a full 5/5 stack nor will whatever rune you have be very much use. Assuming you safely outgear whatever act you're farming in Inferno there are some slightly viable strategies with Soul Harvest but otherwise I don't find it useful anymore. When you're kiting around a couple of Champions for 3 minutes what's the point of Soul Harvest anyways?
There's a rune with 30% slow that has some use to facilitate kiting (+ buffing at the same time), but you rarely get more than two stacks or so, and if you do it means you're about to be swarmed anyway. I'll probably swap it out for something else. Maybe Haunt, but I'm already running out of Mana if I have to use all skills in an encounter.

scosher

Some good info here, thanks for the post!

Also, I'm sure there'll come a point when you even outgear Inferno, and can run around using Meteors and Explosive Blast. But yeah, when first starting out, you'll probably find yourself end up using the cookie cutter builds to get through it.

Alex

Jesus people do 60k damage already? I haven't played this game in weeks, and now with the Euros :(

I got to that mark self-buffed on my Wizard fairly easily. Mostly took a monstrously strong blue weapon. :lol I think I spent about ~5-6 million, total. (and to be fair, I got a weapon that should've been ~2 million+ for 500k)

Who knows after the attack speed nerf, though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom