• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

Mantra of healing provides me with 20% all res...

Hard Target is +20% Armor which is comparable mitigation to +20% Resists even at your resists (6086 Armor with 676 Resists ~= 5072 Armor with 812 Resists as far as total damage mitigation is concerned) so it's down to +Dodge vs +Life Regen.

...and deadly reach is useless, can't play with it. If I'm surrounded it hits only one mob and it seems slower too. I do more often with it than cw. Changed boh.

Well, DR's purpose is to keep you from getting surrounded. You can pseudo-kite with it. Fist of Thunder is the fastest primary skill and you'll probably need/want that at your 1.61 APS hence the suggestion.

DSmalls84

How to do that? Do you need other people to do it? I don't have friends. :(

Yeah you need multiple people.

On a basic level Player A starts game and B joins it. Player B leaves after khuul is killed and resumes game to turn in quest. Player A makes a game and player B joins, waits for player A to leave and then turns in the quest a second time. Player A makes one last game and player B turns in the quest one more time. Then you restart the process.

Edit: This is my Alt character I cleared through Hell on my main normally and have logged 120 hours on my WD.

Totakeke

Ooooh, so I found this.

Lz0jL.png

But it seems like it's another one of those highly priced items on the AH that no one buys. Some rich farmer buy mine please.

yacobod

Banned
anyone else down for power-leveling some characters this weekend?

i can rush on my wizard, wouldn't mind leveling up my dh or barbarian.

polishmoves#1333 on us servers.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
So Blizzard, after allowing me to play the game in English for a whole day, decided that I need to revert my client back to Portuguese.

This is seriously the last Blizzard game I buy. First all the StarCraft II crap, and now this. I'm done.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
I am reaching the end of Act 1 Hell lvl 54 DH and I am starting to become tired of my build. I haven't gone balls out on the Auction House but my gear is ok (11K dps right now I think) This is my current build. I love Evasive Fire w/Covering Fire rune as my primary but I feel like I am not dealing with champs and elite mobs very well right now. I had to run away from my first mob! shameful. I am thinking that I should ditch evasive and use something else with vault as my gtfo manuver. I realize my choices may be more limited in Inferno so I want to enjoy a few more skills now. Suggestions?

elemental arrow / frost rune

use as primary.

nvm! clearly i didnt look at ur secondary.

anyways, I'd move frost arrow to your primary, hungering arrow with devour as your secondary, I'd switch out your caltrops or trap for a bat companion.

panty

Hard Target is +20% Armor which is comparable mitigation to +20% Resists even at your resists (6086 Armor with 676 Resists ~= 5072 Armor with 812 Resists as far as total damage mitigation is concerned) so it's down to +Dodge vs +Life Regen.

Well, DR's purpose is to keep you from getting surrounded. You can pseudo-kite with it. Fist of Thunder is the fastest primary skill and you'll probably need/want that at your 1.61 APS hence the suggestion.

Well now I managed to kill 2 elite packs with these skills, without dying. Two.

6dnyK.jpg

Buffed, almost constantly like that.

hn8LS.png

Gonna stick with these atm, just changing that int stone. Thanks for the tips.

Won

Put some levels into my WD and reading the last page makes me want to stop right away again.
I think I will just play a Wizard till the patch rolls out.

Rufus

mGtf2.jpg

I need a little help here with some maths...
Which shield is the best ?
The one you already have equipped, unless you really, absolutely need those 4k extra life, which are probably useless without the resists (unless you're a cold stacked monk) and lower block chance.

Ghost23

So what builds are wizards using for inferno? Is force armor still worth it after the nerf? What exactly did the nerf change?

V_Arnold

Is it just me, or is that 4% reduced melee damage + life combined WAY more than worth it? :p
Edit: Just saw the block stats. Yep, I am afraid not.

SleazyC

I am reaching the end of Act 1 Hell lvl 54 DH and I am starting to become tired of my build. I haven't gone balls out on the Auction House but my gear is ok (11K dps right now I think) This is my current build. I love Evasive Fire w/Covering Fire rune as my primary but I feel like I am not dealing with champs and elite mobs very well right now. I had to run away from my first mob! shameful. I am thinking that I should ditch evasive and use something else with vault as my gtfo manuver. I realize my choices may be more limited in Inferno so I want to enjoy a few more skills now. Suggestions?
You're going to see a pretty sharp divide about where you should go with your Demon Hunter once you hit Inferno. The majority will tell you to eschew any survivability stats and just stack as much as damage as you can. This is really the easy way to do things (I choose this route) but you should expect to die in one hit. If you pursue this approach you'll likely be directed to the Elemental Arrow - Nether Tentacles, Smoke Screen, Prep build. It gives you some flexibility to dodge ranged attacks or stand still for a bit while doing as much as damage as you can. Taking this route is pretty frustrating at points (especially Act 3 when you seem to encounter a lot more fast ranged mobs) but is going to be the cheaper of the two routes.

Your other option is to try to stack resists, HP and still reach the damage tiers you need to survive in later acts. I think some DH's on GAF here have been pretty successful in doing so but I think its a much bigger investment just because of how much more a piece of gear can be marked up if it has the 'All Resists' attribute on it.

elemental arrow / frost rune

use as primary.

nvm! clearly i didnt look at ur secondary.

anyways, I'd move frost arrow to your primary, hungering arrow with devour as your secondary, I'd switch out your caltrops or trap for a bat companion.

Thanks, I'll give it a go later today. Thanks for ^ reply as well.

TommyT

The one you already have equipped, unless you really, absolutely need those 4k extra life, which are probably useless without the resists (unless you're a cold stacked monk) and lower block chance.

I know I asked before, and the answer I got was something about how a monk has something that makes all their resists equal to their highest... but why cold specifically?

scy

So what builds are wizards using for inferno? Is force armor still worth it after the nerf? What exactly did the nerf change?

Pre-nerf: 10k HP means anything over 3500 Damage will always deal 3500 Damage.
Post-nerf: 10k HP means anything over 3500 Damage but less than 10,000 Damage will deal 3500 Damage; if it's 10,000+ Damage, you'll die still.

Basically, it means that you still want to gear Mitigation (+Armor, +Resists) and +HP rather than just going super low HP with Life Regen. It's still worth using until your defensive stats are high enough that nothing hits you for 35%+ of your HP.

I know I asked before, and the answer I got was something about how a monk has something that makes all their resists equal to their highest... but why cold specifically?

No reason for Cold in particular, any Resist works. That Shield though has +Cold Resist and +All Resist so it's better for Monks stacking Cold.

Still on Act 1 Hell.

I ditched Soul Harvest because not getting hit is better, the Int increase is situational, and I sorely missed having locusts. Honestly the only reason I tried out Soul Harvest for awhile is because every single build seemed to have it.

I just now got Healing Journey for Spirit Walk, but I haven't gotten to try it out yet (I've been using Jaunt which has worked pretty well for keeping me alive). I plan on getting Life to Hit the next time I find a great weapon that has a socket since I'm hearing glowing testimonies about it.

Also, how is Fireball (Flash Fire) in Inferno? I use it against large packs of enemies as an alternative to Spined Poison Darts (I don't have Zombie Bears yet, not a fan of a lot of the other costly AoE spells).
I have a 60 Witch Doctor that I've played in Act 1 and Act 2 of Inferno so far.

In Hell I had absolutely no problem using Soul Harvest, in fact I would encourage it... along with the Siphon rune it's a great ability. Run into mobs (not Spirit Walk), smash Soul Harvest, then Spirit Walk out of them and begin spamming AoE... and actually if you have Zombie Bears, don't even run out, just stand in the middle while Spirit Walking and throw bears like crazy. You get hit while running into the pack to Soul Harvest but when you get there and use it, the Siphon rune will heal you and then you Spirit Walk to escape... with Bears you Spirit Walk to activate the mana regen rune so you can spam that shit - that's pretty much the gameplan.

Now, in Inferno, getting hit even once or twice by a most enemies isn't really an option so that strategy goes completely out of the window. You technically could Spirit Walk, get close to enemies, Soul Harvest, and then back off before Spirit Walk ends but it's very risky and, more often than not, you won't get a full 5/5 stack nor will whatever rune you have be very much use. Assuming you safely outgear whatever act you're farming in Inferno there are some slightly viable strategies with Soul Harvest but otherwise I don't find it useful anymore. When you're kiting around a couple of Champions for 3 minutes what's the point of Soul Harvest anyways?

As for Firebomb in general, I used it from the moment I learned the spell to about 10 minutes into Inferno when I switched to Darts (Splinter). The problem with Firebombs is they don't do enough single target damage for taking down Champions/Uniques/Bosses and they're relatively slow. On the other hand, Darts aren't only quick and do tons of damage, they're amazing because there's practically no limit to their distance. You can literally shoot monsters far off the screen, unlike firebombs you just give them a direction and they go for what seems like forever until they hit something. On the same token they're amazing in that they almost stagger-lock enemies, since the damage is high and you hit them with so many darts they're just constantly recoiling... which means they're constantly interrupted from casting, attacking, or even moving.

yacobod

Banned
Too many WD and Monk builds flying around, agreed on showing some Wizard love with other peoples builds :D

there are basically 2 cookie cutter inferno builds right now

primary of your choice: piercing orb or magic missile w/seeker
blizzard w/choice of your own rune
venom hydra
crystal shell
magic weapon
force armor

or

venom hydra
arcane orb w/tap the source
teleport or mirror image
crystal shell
magic weapon
force armor

i think most passives vary by player, but it seems like everyone uses glass cannon because it's too good.

ShaneB

venom hydra
crystal shell
magic weapon
force armor

or

venom hydra
teleport or mirror image
crystal shell
magic weapon
force armor

i think most passives vary by player, but it seems like everyone uses glass cannon because it's too good.

Well those builds are vastly different from what I've been using. lol

Lombax

Banned
ok am I alone in thinking that Inferno takes all the fun out of the monk? Granted I am only in act 1 but in order to survive I have had to bump up my HP to 42k, yank out all my dex gems to replace them with +HP so that now I am to the point of 6k DPS, 42k HP, and 284 Resist all...Its as if this mode forced me to become a tank. Sure I stay alive but it take forever to kill anything shit is just boring now.

scy

there are basically 2 cookie cutter inferno builds right now.

Personally, Diamond Skin, even with Crystal Shell, is not that great in Inferno. It just doesn't last that long. I'd rather have Teleport + Illusionist over it for an oh shit button.

Plus, it gets you out of Jail! And speeds up travel! :x

Petrie

Banned
Is anyone around who can help me beat Diablo on Hell? My DH just can't get through it and I want those Inferno drops.

Petrie#1801

Darkone

i am currently near Blial on act 2 with my Barbarian, my DPS is 2300, is it ok at this point?
i am waiting for good drops and not want to use the AH.

Now, in Inferno, getting hit even once or twice by a most enemies isn't really an option so that strategy goes completely out of the window. You technically could Spirit Walk, get close to enemies, Soul Harvest, and then back off before Spirit Walk ends but it's very risky and, more often than not, you won't get a full 5/5 stack nor will whatever rune you have be very much use. Assuming you safely outgear whatever act you're farming in Inferno there are some slightly viable strategies with Soul Harvest but otherwise I don't find it useful anymore. When you're kiting around a couple of Champions for 3 minutes what's the point of Soul Harvest anyways?
This is pretty much why I ditched Soul Harvest, because it requires science like this (and I'm apparently super undergeared, so I have to kite blue & yellow mobs at the end of Nightmare & Hell anyway).

As for Firebomb in general, I used it from the moment I learned the spell to about 10 minutes into Inferno when I switched to Darts (Splinter). The problem with Firebombs is they don't do enough single target damage for taking down Champions/Uniques/Bosses and they're relatively slow. On the other hand, Darts aren't only quick and do tons of damage, they're amazing because there's practically no limit to their distance. You can literally shoot monsters far off the screen, unlike firebombs you just give them a direction and they go for what seems like forever until they hit something. On the same token they're amazing in that they almost stagger-lock enemies, since the damage is high and you hit them with so many darts they're just constantly recoiling... which means they're constantly interrupted from casting, attacking, or even moving.
I use both Darts and Firebombs, so for me it's really Firebombs vs. any other AoE spell the WD has.

scy

ok am I alone in thinking that Inferno takes all the fun out of the monk? Granted I am only in act 1 but in order to survive I have had to bump up my HP to 42k, yank out all my dex gems to replace them with +HP so that now I am to the point of 6k DPS, 42k HP, and 284 Resist all...Its as if this mode forced me to become a tank. Sure I stay alive but it take forever to kill anything shit is just boring now.

Eh, I think people sacrifice a bit too much DPS for the sake of survival. Mitigating better is the goal, yes, but if it now takes you 2 minutes to kill things, you need to mitigate that much better so you can survive 2 minutes. The design goal is focused around balancing of stats rather than going crazy one way or the other.

My Monk at ~30k HP, 4kish Armor, 400-something Resists can Dual Wield blow through Act 1 without really any concerns, for instance.

So the goblin trick has been nerfed.

Didn't have the chance to try this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPda6BSkniE

lol

Unless it was early this morning (~4 AM+ CST), it was perfectly fine last time I was doing it.

Radec

venom hydra
crystal shell
magic weapon
force armor

or

venom hydra
teleport or mirror image
crystal shell
magic weapon
force armor

This is what I'm using, I hope I can last in Act 2 with 20k dps, 20k hp, and 700 all resist though.

But I'm using Prismatic Energy Armor and Fracture Teleport.

Does Force Armor much better than Prismatic though ?

ttocs

I'm at level 53 with 6K DPS in Hell Act 1 on my wizard. I'm really hoping I can keep that number growing for when I get to hardcore without diminishing my Vitality.

scy

Does Force Armor much better than Prismatic though ?

It depends on your survivability. If enemies hit you for >35% of your HP regularly, then Force Armor is better. If they hit for <35%, then Prismatic is better.

My Wizard with like 200-something Resists and 4.5k (buffed) Armor is better off with Prismatic than Force, for instance, with ~40k HP in Act 1. Most enemies don't hit me for >14000 so I'm better off with Prismatic.

Edit: Act 2 is hit-or-miss. A lot of spiky damage so I just stick with Force for the time being.

yacobod

Banned
Personally, Diamond Skin, even with Crystal Shell, is not that great in Inferno. It just doesn't last that long. I'd rather have Teleport + Illusionist over it for an oh shit button.

Plus, it gets you out of Jail! And speeds up travel! :x

i run w/out a primary so i have both. i find crystal shell to be invaluable for dealing with mobs with reflect damage, it kind of trivializes them if they don't have any other retarded mods.

DSmalls84

I'm at level 53 with 6K DPS in Hell Act 1 on my wizard. I'm really hoping I can keep that number growing for when I get to hardcore without diminishing my Vitality.

Just so you know, if your not in hardcore now you won't be later. Unless by Hardcore your referring to Inferno.

rCIZZLE

I hope so...and I hope people who exploited this get their characters deleted.

Playing through the game 3 more times for each new character isn't my idea of fun. If they made leveling appealing in any way or the drops not suck before inferno then maybe I'd be alright with leveling legit.

WD is awesome. I'm farming Act 3 of Inferno nowadays. If 'we suck' it is news to me.

The only WD issue I know of is pet scaling. If you're dead set on using pets into inferno you'll have to stick with the fetishes.

Is this just the typical crying you see when somebody chooses a class that isn't overpowered and the best at everything?

Inferno itself narrows the list of viable specs for every class, not just Witch Doctor, BTW. If you don't want to kite and blowdart then don't. Whatever you pick for damage you will kite in inferno, though. Not because WD "sucks" but because inferno elites have ungodly amounts of HP and seem highly resistant to slows/snares.

What are your stats? I just got to act 3 inferno with my WD, and although I didn't try it too long, it seemed like it was going to be a lot harder than act 2.

Sarcasm

ugh I can't live through
Baliel like acid aoe move

You know the ones where the entire ground gets covered. I am like lvl 22 wizard even using the ice armor that adsorbs damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom