• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.

Then I got Archon, with disintegrate.

NOT INFERNO VIABLE.

iL8KWvPjhpNMk.gif

Akim

Banned
Inferno on my Monk:

Act 1: This is hard, I'll farm some gear from the easier parts
Act 2: Oh man, I'm getting 1-shot, I better farm butcher
Act 3: OH GOD IT'S ACT 2 ALL OVER AGAIN

*flips a table*

Cagey

Banned
Inferno on my Monk:

*flips a table*

When you get to Inferno Act 2-4 with a Monk or Barbarian once the RMAH launches, the game should say "please pay $49.99 to purchase gear necessary to proceed".

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I've already gone through the game 3 times with my Demon Hunter (and A1 in Inferno), almost finished my normal run as a Monk (but I got bored), and I've done it twice now with my Barb (and have had to supplement the last 3 levels of NM with ZK runs because the game won't let me go to the next difficulty level because I'm not high enough).

It's not super compelling content the seventh + time. Nobody has a gun to my head period, but simple economics dictates that I'm going to want to use the most efficient path through, since I want to test out the class in Inferno, not twiddle around at the lower difficulties where it isn't challenging and I don't have all of the abilities unlocked.

But thanks for the constructive comments guys.

Hey, I suggested on the official Blizzard forums to let you start NM/Hell at levels 25/50 with new characters once you clear them, and got chewed out by like 15 people on apparently how awful and causal my idea was. I feel you. Its just, I rather run though the game with over powered gear then kill Kulle 100 times.

Also, almost done with Act II, just got down down Belial. Sadly, his attack that he slams the ground with both his fists one shots me. If my math is right, the attack does 500k raw damage, and I only have 400k EHP.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
anyone want to do the shattered crown quest on inferno with me? everyone keeps leaving every public game im in.

im a Demon Hunter on US servers.

if so message me in game wutdaheckman#1822

MrDaravon

Reposting to see if I can get any advice on what to upgrade next. Beat Act 1 on Inferno since I made this post, died on the Butcher less on Inferno than I did on Hell.

Level 60 DH, towards the end of Act 1 Inferno. Except for a couple of jacked attribute mobs I haven't been having a ton of trouble. I understand the stats I'm going for long term, but with what I'm at now, what should I work on first? You can't see it in the screen but I do have + 8 Discipline as well, and the stats below are without Sharpshooter (but WITH Archery). Also is farming Hell Whimseyshire worth it at this point over Act 1 Inferno? Have the plans but didn't pay for the upgrade yet.

Hbnec.png

Inferno on my Monk:

*flips a table*

i have 30k health and 300 resistence on my wizard + Force armor meaning 60k health but i still get one shot. I have to evade the slightest hint of potential danger in anything past act 1.

Jokab

Reposting to see if I can get any advice on what to upgrade next. Beat Act 1 on Inferno since I made this post, died on the Butcher less on Inferno than I did on Hell.

Holy shit dude you must have like 50k+ life, right? You're gonna need to sacrifice some of that for all resistance gear, it's more effective. You'll want to be around 35k HP and ~250-300 resists when you enter act 2 to stand a chance. Damage looks fine.

EDIT: Oh saw you have 53k. That's insane man.

Hey, I suggested on the official Blizzard forums to let you start NM/Hell at levels 25/50 with new characters once you clear them, and got chewed out by like 15 people on apparently how awful and causal my idea was. I feel you. Its just, I rather run though the game with over powered gear then kill Kulle 100 times.

Also, almost done with Act II, just got down down Belial. Sadly, his attack that he slams the ground with both his fists one shots me. If my math is right, the attack does 500k raw damage, and I only have 400k EHP.

Considering a naked level X character is identical with another, it doesn't seem like an insane idea. I think they're doing something similar in WoW now as a promotion, right?

Cagey

Banned

As much DPS as fiscally possible. You'll find that the 50K life you're packing means nothing as you "progress" through Acts 2 and 3. I wound up making the same trades in stats that you're about to make.

isny

napkin dispenser
All of the following below are for sale. Just shoot me a PM =)

I could also use some help on Belial on Inferno if anyone has done it before...

Y8Ucf.jpg
dT609.jpg
n0VXH.jpg

MrDaravon

Holy shit dude you must have like 50k+ life, right? You're gonna need to sacrifice some of that for all resistance gear, it's more effective. You'll want to be around 35k HP and ~250-300 resists when you enter act 2 to stand a chance. Damage looks fine.

EDIT: Oh saw you have 53k. That's insane man.

Yeah, around there. So Resist All makes that much more of a difference than just jacking up Armor I take it then? Are most enemy attacks elemental or something? For some reason I never notice a lot of elemental damage being dealt outside of straight-up caster-type enemies.

Yeah, around there. So Resist All makes that much more of a difference than just jacking up Armor I take it then? Are most enemy attacks elemental or something? For some reason I never notice a lot of elemental damage being dealt outside of straight-up caster-type enemies.
I think 10 armor = 1 resist; so if you are stacking armor, keep that in mind. If you had a piece with 300 armor and 50 resist all, you'd need the same piece to have 800 armor to be equivalent--that is, if I'm understanding it correctly.

BTW, resistances include physical in this game, not just elemental damage.

Wow it's amazing what a difference small things can make. For the longest time I thought there was just no way I could give up Wrath of the Berserker as Barb since it was so powerful against champs. Trying to progress through Act 3 Inferno and the fucking Soul Ripper champs would just wreck my face. I swapped out Wrath of the Berserker for Ignore Pain, and I swapped out Sidearm (Frenzy Rune) for Maniac and I just killed an entire elite pack of soul rippers without dying.

Maniac definitely makes it harder to kill trash packs, but given that trash packs aren't the problem I think Maniac is the right choice over Sidearm.

My Build now is

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WkYVRg!beV!ccZcZZ

MrDaravon

I think 10 armor = 1 resist; so if you are stacking armor, keep that in mind. If you had a piece with 300 armor and 50 resist all, you'd need the same piece to have 800 armor to be equivalent--that is, if I'm understanding it correctly.

Makes sense, I just had resists on the backburner though because most of what I was seeing for DH's was to not really worry about armor/resistance and just get Vit if you can along the way with Dex/Crit/etc.

isny

napkin dispenser
Wow it's amazing what a difference small things can make. For the longest time I thought there was just no way I could give up Wrath of the Berserker as Barb since it was so powerful against champs. Trying to progress through Act 3 Inferno and the fucking Soul Ripper champs would just wreck my face. I swapped out Wrath of the Berserker for Ignore Pain, and I swapped out Sidearm (Frenzy Rune) for Maniac and I just killed an entire elite pack of soul rippers without dying.

Maniac definitely makes it harder to kill trash packs, but given that trash packs aren't the problem I think Maniac is the right choice over Sidearm.

My Build now is

Can you link your stats?

Also, I used to use Maniac and switched to Sidearm and found my dps increased?

Kyoufu

My Build now is

I think the problem with your build is you don't have Leap or Furious Charge. I really don't think you'll get far in Act 3/4 without them.

I have both, and it makes Act 3 a joke.

Can you link your stats?

Also, I used to use Maniac and switched to Sidearm and found my dps increased?

Against large groups of trash, sidearm is definitely superior. But for pure single target dps, you can't beat Maniac. I mean if you're sitting there smacking something in the face and just straight up tanking it, then Maniac is basically a straight +20% damage modifier.

Sidearm will still be higher OVERALL dps because you'll be hitting the other mobs in the champ pack, but often times it's a dps race - if you can kill 1 champ before you die then you'll be ok, because the priority is just reducing their numbers as fast as possible.

You can see some stats on the previous page (just search for my name). however, someone suggested I get more VIT and armor, and start using the Enchantress, so I swapped out a piece of STR heavy gear for a piece of VIT heavy gear and changed all my gems around. This lost me about 2.5k DPS but gained me about 10k HP. My new stats are:

EdpOH.jpg

Kyoufu said:
I think the problem with your build is you don't have Leap or Furious Charge. I really don't think you'll get far in Act 3/4 without them.

I have both, and it makes Act 3 a joke.

I've heard that a number of times before, but I think we just have to agree to disagree. Furious Charge just doesn't work for my playstyle, and is basically worthless against champs. The power of Furious Charge comes when you can charge into a large group of enemies and recover a ton of HP. Against a small group of champs with nothing else around, it's a wasted slot. I have no problem with trash, which is where FC is the most handy. Leap is definitely useful and I swap it in sometimes. A lot of people disagree, but Ground Stomp / Wrenching Smash is probably my bread and butter, and aside from Revenge is probably one of the best things on my action bar. The added-draw in radius means that I can stun, usually, almost every single enemy that's hitting me, and the fact that it draws them in means next time I go to use revenge (and subsequent times as well) I'm almost guaranteed to get a full health bar on every revenge. It also works regardless of where enemies are positioned, and gets EVERYTHING around me, instead of only things in a certain direction. Those Icy Quillbacks that all scattered to different corners and are shooting you from 5 directions? Good luck with Furious Charge there, but Ground Stomp will easily lay waste to the entire group.

Anustart

Is there a way to kill the butcher that doesn't require luck?

My witch doctor with 24k dps just gets tossed around. For one, the butcher can and will kill you while you're in spirit walk, and sadly my wd is also not fast enough to get out of the way of his multi-chain whip attack either.

Guess I'm just frustrated because I find it stupid that spirit walk is reduced to nothing in the fight because he ignores it and kills you anyway.

Found my problem. I had 30k hp, 24k dps, but my resists were sadly lacking. I grabbed some new shoulders and a new belt both with 30+ all resist, and boy, the butcher fight is now a cake walk. His charge move will still mostly one shot me, most of the time, sometimes I live through it. The only reason the charge is a problem is if he telegraphs it right as im starting a splintered darts, not giving me enough time to get away.

But now, as stated the fight is really easy. My resists are now all around 280+ instead of 190ish, and boy does it make quite the difference.

Xyphie

Playing with my DH makes me wish I shelved my barb earlier. This is like playing the kiddie version of Inferno in comparison. Despite spending tens of millions of gold on gear on my barb I do 5x more damage and have better survivability on the DH with lvl 50 dexterity blues and some crappy 900 dps bow. Proper class balance right there.

Kyoufu

I've heard that a number of times before, but I think we just have to agree to disagree. Furious Charge just doesn't work for my playstyle, and is basically worthless against champs. The power of Furious Charge comes when you can charge into a large group of enemies and recover a ton of HP. Against a small group of champs with nothing else around, it's a wasted slot. I have no problem with trash, which is where FC is the most handy. Leap is definitely useful and I swap it in sometimes. A lot of people disagree, but Ground Stomp / Wrenching Smash is probably my bread and butter, and aside from Revenge is probably one of the best things on my action bar. The added-draw in radius means that I can stun, usually, almost every single enemy that's hitting me, and the fact that it draws them in means next time I go to use revenge (and subsequent times as well) I'm almost guaranteed to get a full health bar on every revenge. It also works regardless of where enemies are positioned, and gets EVERYTHING around me, instead of only things in a certain direction. Those Icy Quillbacks that all scattered to different corners and are shooting you from 5 directions? Good luck with Furious Charge there, but Ground Stomp will easily lay waste to the entire group.

But you're fodder even for champion packs when you can't charge or leap out of desecrate, molten, arcane lasers etc. Ground Stomp won't save you from those.

Basically your build doesn't do anything to improve your survivability. You've only just discovered Ignore Pain, so that's a start I suppose.

Also, how else will you get underneath Siegebreaker Assault Beast's stomach without those abilities?

I dunno man, I hope you find success with your build but I could never imagine not having at least Leap.

Playing with my DH makes me wish I shelved my barb earlier. This is like playing the kiddie version of Inferno in comparison. Despite spending tens of millions of gold on gear on my barb I do 5x more damage and have better survivability on the DH with lvl 50 dexterity blues and some crappy 900 dps bow. Proper class balance right there.

I'd rather play my Barb than a glass cannon that dies to even a cold breeze in the night.

isny

napkin dispenser
Against large groups of trash, sidearm is definitely superior. But for pure single target dps, you can't beat Maniac. I mean if you're sitting there smacking something in the face and just straight up tanking it, then Maniac is basically a straight +20% damage modifier.

Sidearm will still be higher OVERALL dps because you'll be hitting the other mobs in the champ pack, but often times it's a dps race - if you can kill 1 champ before you die then you'll be ok, because the priority is just reducing their numbers as fast as possible.

You can see some stats on the previous page (just search for my name). however, someone suggested I get more VIT and armor, and start using the Enchantress, so I swapped out a piece of STR heavy gear for a piece of VIT heavy gear and changed all my gems around. This lost me about 2.5k DPS but gained me about 10k HP. My new stats are:

Here are my stats currently. I'm trying to figure out why yours are so much higher though. Have you just spent 10's of millions on gear? Or is it because you substituted block and crit for health and dps? (As your block and crit are incredibly low)

cSmGE.jpg

pigeon

Banned

Scy made this point earlier in the thread, but it bears repeating. Resistance and armor are multiplied together, so, pretending that you have a finite amount of "defensive stats" that you can divide between resistance and armor, you get the best result by balancing the two. (Because it's a square.) 10 armor = 1 resist assuming that your current damage reduction from armor and damage reduction from the relevant resistance are equal; otherwise, the one that's lower will give you a better return, increasing the bigger the difference is.

But you're fodder even for champion packs when you can't charge or leap out of desecrate, molten, arcane lasers etc. Ground Stomp won't save you from those.

Basically your build doesn't do anything to improve your survivability. You've only just discovered Ignore Pain, so that's a start I suppose.

Also, how else will you get underneath Siegebreaker Assault Beast's stomach without those abilities?

I dunno man, I hope you find success with your build but I could never imagine not having at least Leap.

Yeah I run just furious charge now, but I don't think I could go without at LEAST that or leap. It took me awhile to get used to not having leap, think I played the first 100 hours of my barb with it. :lol

Leap is just so fucking amazing in every single way. :D

Love Furious Charge too <3

I miss it so, if I didn't just genuinely enjoy turning into a giant angry berserker all the time I'd swap back to it in a heartbeat.

I've heard that a number of times before, but I think we just have to agree to disagree. Furious Charge just doesn't work for my playstyle, and is basically worthless against champs.

I have to strongly disagree with it being worthless, as Kyoufu said, you will run into packs of mobs that will cover the floor with nasty stuff. Even with 1000+ resists I can't stand in it very long, which is where Leap and/or Furious Charge come in. In the case of the charge, its not so much the health regen that makes it ace, its the fact that I can tee off on the champs or elites(especially with Ignore Pain up), and have a way to get out if it gets dicey. Plus, you can time your charge or leap right as frozen orbs are going off to break the animation and avoid it.

I understand your opinion on it though, I wasn't feeling the skill in the beginning, and it took some time to get used to.

TheYanger

EdpOH.jpg

Furious Charge is also incredibly useful because it is anti-Cc, which is hugely important vs champs. I think that's more important than the heal most of the time, tbh. In large packs revenge is all you tend to need. If you need more you're dead anyway.
Also, sidearm ALSO hits your primary target most of the time, making it still generally superior dpswise to maniac unless you're using another attack (and aside from sometimes earthquake or seismic, what barb uses other attacks? lol).

Sarcasm

I have two questions:

1) Is the blacksmith worth investing now? I been selling my blues & yellow to vendors.

2) Is the gem dude worth investing? I been just piling my gems in my stash.

maharg

idspispopd
I have two questions:

1) Is the blacksmith worth investing now? I been selling my blues & yellow to vendors.

2) Is the gem dude worth investing? I been just piling my gems in my stash.

If you're still working your way to 60 I think it's worth upgrading the jeweller just so you have something to do with the gems you pick up. At least until it starts costing 20k gold to upgrade to the next one. After that you may as well just buy from the AH.

It's probably not worth it to upgrade the blacksmith until endgame when you'll have plenty of money to do it and you can start rolling higher level items.

zlatko

Banned
Why does the damn Wolf Sigil have to be unlocked from each act under 1 hour achievements? Bah.

Got Act 4 done under 1 hour just on its own, simply because the act is so short even if you do explore lol. Did Act 1 intentionally just now.

Now to bum rush Act 2 and 3 on normal with my 60 monk.

maharg

idspispopd
I've already gone through the game 3 times with my Demon Hunter (and A1 in Inferno), almost finished my normal run as a Monk (but I got bored), and I've done it twice now with my Barb (and have had to supplement the last 3 levels of NM with ZK runs because the game won't let me go to the next difficulty level because I'm not high enough).

It's not super compelling content the seventh + time. Nobody has a gun to my head period, but simple economics dictates that I'm going to want to use the most efficient path through, since I want to test out the class in Inferno, not twiddle around at the lower difficulties where it isn't challenging and I don't have all of the abilities unlocked.

But thanks for the constructive comments guys.

So what's the deal with the "ugh" at the end? You apparently think it's distasteful to have a shortcut, and distasteful to have to do it again, so what exactly is it you want?

I mean, I think they should have not bothered having "Inferno" be a whole new difficulty level, they should have just made it hell. I agree they seem to want you to go through the game a ridiculous number of times for not a lot of content. I just don't get the angle of a complaint that there's a way around that when you don't even want to do the alternative. It's like you wanted to be forced to do something you don't want to do.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
If you're still working your way to 60 I think it's worth upgrading the jeweller just so you have something to do with the gems you pick up. At least until it starts costing 20k gold to upgrade to the next one. After that you may as well just buy from the AH.

It's probably not worth it to upgrade the blacksmith until endgame when you'll have plenty of money to do it and you can start rolling higher level items.
Even at 60 you need to find someone on a website to buy a +6 BS pattern for it to be useful right?

When I fight Siegebreaker I do use Leap. And to be fair I didn't "just discover" Ignore Pain, but I just now used it in place of WotB. Previously I would use it in place of Threatening Shout.

I've killed Siegebreaker a couple of times, but never with 5 stacks.

In any case, I do think I still need a bit more gear but I don't think my build is necessarily the problem. Certain combinations of champs still give me trouble, but I think if I had about 1k extra armor, 5k extra health, and 100 more resist I'd probably be fine.

Oh, and I guess I really should prioritize getting a shield with higher block%. 15% just isn't cutting it.

Vodh

Squares cost ~200 on AH, flawless squares go for ~2000. It's a ridiculous waste of money to combine anything below flawless squares into perfect squares, just no reason to do it whatsoever.

maharg

idspispopd
Squares cost ~200 on AH, flawless squares go for ~2000. It's a ridiculous waste of money to combine anything below flawless squares into perfect squares, just no reason to do it whatsoever.

It's also not really a big deal to do so and you're picking them up so you may as well. The amount of money you get out of the game from playing it increases rather dramatically after a point and the pittance you spent upgrading gems you picked up is meaningless. Also, I'm not gonna rule out the commodity AH going away for a while again. It was out for like a week last time.

And unlike with the blacksmith, at least you know what you're getting.

isny

napkin dispenser
more life per hit and more resists and ur good. maybe more dps

I can probably do the life per hit and resist, but weapons are climbing in price as quick as I can make the gold to buy em, it's pretty nuts. My current weapon is 840 dps, and anything higher with decent stats seems to be going for 3-10 million with the prices going up and up daily =(

balddemon

Banned
I can probably do the life per hit and resist, but weapons are climbing in price as quick as I can make the gold to buy em, it's pretty nuts. My current weapon is 840 dps, and anything higher with decent stats seems to be going for 3-10 million with the prices going up and up daily =(

i found an 800dps magic wep with a socket and threw an amethyst in with 190LoH. works for me and im at 10.2k dps. gonna upgrade that to a star for 300 LoH eventually, or maybe a radiant star if i get really lucky with drops lol

isny

napkin dispenser
i found an 800dps magic wep with a socket and threw an amethyst in with 190LoH. works for me and im at 10.2k dps. gonna upgrade that to a star for 300 LoH eventually, or maybe a radiant star if i get really lucky with drops lol

I already have +60% attack speed, I'm even using a lidless wall for the extra attack speed, block, and all resist. Maybe I should be just looking at more strength?

Vodh

It's also not really a big deal to do so and you're picking them up so you may as well. The amount of money you get out of the game from playing it increases rather dramatically after a point and the pittance you spent upgrading gems you picked up is meaningless. Also, I'm not gonna rule out the commodity AH going away for a while again. It was out for like a week last time.

And unlike with the blacksmith, at least you know what you're getting.

Getting a square from 3 radiants costs 7500. That's throwing away 7300 which you could save up to spend that 10k for a really decent upgrade if the commodities AH is indeed down, and if it's not, it's money that could get you 4 flawless squares from the AH. The fact that 7300 isn't a fortune doesn't make it any less of an utterly terrible idea to combine gems below perfect squares.

balddemon

Banned
I already have +60% attack speed, I'm even using a lidless wall for the extra attack speed, block, and all resist. Maybe I should be just looking at more strength?

sure. our stats are almost identical u just have more attack speed and resist. i wouldn't worry about your dps too much. all i'm really focused on is getting equipment with at least 70 all resist and some str/vit (not including rings/amulet) figure if i can do that then i'll worry about dps if 'im having a hard time surviving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom