• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Getting a square from 3 radiants costs 7500. That's throwing away 7300 which you could save up to spend that 10k for a really decent upgrade if the commodities AH is indeed down, and if it's not, it's money that could get you 4 flawless squares from the AH. The fact that 7300 isn't a fortune doesn't make it any less of an utterly terrible idea to combine gems below perfect squares.

Yep, save those low level gems, don't waste your money atm.

3L7CO.png

Lesath

I need some help; hopefully some skilled monks can give me some pointers. When I first got to Act 3, I hit another wall, but I figured it was something better resists and armor would overcome, as was the case in Act 2.

I'm not dying in 1 hit, or even 4, so I doubt additional VIT would help. I suspect the problem lies with my sustain. Elite packs feel like they chew through inordinate amounts of health regardless of my LoH and Transcendence, and I feel that further investments into defense are just going to be for naught or just prohibitively expensive, as I found no appreciable difference whilst working my way to 800 resists from 700 or so.

LesathMonk.png

I tried utilizing Blackthorne's Medal, but the 350-ish LoH granted me no noticeable gains to survivability. For certain, I can just try to brute force my way further into the act, but I feel all I have to look forward to are more headaches, such as poison arm guys and succubi.

Additionally, normal mobs seem to do an insurmountable amount of damage, and it sometimes feels like my defensive stats don't make a lick of difference. It's incredibly disheartening to see a mob succeed at dealing 6-8k of normal damage once they get past 800 resists and 10k armor.

Maybe I just got unlucky with certain elite packs (Soul Rippers and Quill Fiends in the Breached Keep). I'm not asking to be able to stand through arcane sentries and desecrates, but it would be nice to be able to mitigate normal hits through what I thought were ample defensive stats and LoH. I know people have destroyed Diablo with gear worse than mine, but I really have no idea as to how to improve.

It could be my build (I usually run Mystic Ally over Blinding Flash, and I feel Sweeping Wind is necessary to kill mobs before the enrage timer, though I suspect the latter ability works against me when I run into electrified assholes), or it could be my playstyle (I only kite from ground effects and windup hits).

So I have two choices. I've come into possession of a relatively cheap Helm of Command (70 DEX/40 PHYS RESIST), and am considering trying to make gains into survivability through block instead (since my shield, despite its otherwise amazing stats, has a crappy block chance). Good Stormshields are ridiculously expensive, though, and I'm considering to just settle for one with only 24%-ish block and possibly some DEX. I don't want to put all my eggs (and gold) into one basket, but that seems like the way to go.

Otherwise, I can try to invest in some good pieces with Life per Spirit Spent. That would increase my effective self-healing through Transendence, since I've been having trouble keeping up my health through incoming damage.

Let me know what you guys think.

GJS

The prices of star gems on the AH has been rising, amethyst and emerald are getting closer to profitable taking into account the latest flawless square/tome of secret prices. Ruby and Topaz are still a lost cause.

Radiant star prices except for emerald on the other hand seem to have gotten worse.

I still have absolutely no idea what is up with the people pricing their gems on the AH.

So I just walked int act 2 inferno for the first time. I now fully understand this wall / difficulty spike everyone has been speaking of. Back to farming act one :/

Kyoufu

Here's my Barb stats. Act 3 is no problem for me.

I need to work on upgrading my blue ring (lol) and some lower tier pieces (gloves, legs, bracers).

For the Barbs above me, invest in a Helm of Command. They're not expensive and well worth it.

Lesath

get ur armor up to 8100 and u will survive

look into using the enchantress

Sorry about the wordiness. I do use the enchantress, but for everyone's benefit I decided to post unbuffed stats. With her buff, MoE, and the Keen Eye rune, I get my armor to around 9-10k.

@Raxus

Hah! My Demon Hunter is already level 54. It's so ridiculously satisfying to make kiting shits that gave you trouble as melee explode.

maharg

idspispopd
The prices of star gems on the AH has been rising, amethyst and emerald are getting closer to profitable taking into account the latest flawless square/tome of secret prices. Ruby and Topaz are still a lost cause.

Radiant star prices except for emerald on the other hand seem to have gotten worse.

I still have absolutely no idea what is up with the people pricing their gems on the AH.

Probably just the rather awkward mix of people selling gems they don't need anymore (and thus pricing them based on their need for money) dragging prices down and people trying to sell new gems for a profit attempting to drag it up.

Since 'used' gems have no decreased value the new market is the same as the aftermarket. If you could sell a used porche for the same price you bought it or better, it'd probably drag those prices down too.

tch

Just starting a new character (monk) and just finished Act 1 in Normal. Would much rather play co-op if anyone else is playing through normal and wants to join up?

Gila

Noob question here: Does LOH work with attack speed, say I have 3.0 attacks per second and 600 LOH, will I be gaining 1800 life every attack I do?

I_D

I need some help;
LesathMonk.png

Monks have a passive skill that makes all of your resistances equal to your highest. Use gear that boosts one resistance instead of all, and it won't be too expensive. This will also let you find gear that boosts tons of other things. It wouldn't hurt to have a bit more defense, either.

Also, your skill setup is quite odd, in my opinion. You have no means of escape, or pushing enemies away, or kiting, or anything like that. A simple reskilling will help tremendously.

I use:
Lclick: Fists of Thunder + Thunderclap (Let's me easily move around enemies without being hit)
Rclick: Crippling Wave + Tsunami (Easily attack many enemies, slows them by a ton)
1: Breath of Heaven + Penitent Flame (Heal + Fear? Yes please)
2: Blinding Flash + Faith in Light (Useful in emergencies, and a good buff)
3: Lashing Tail Kick + Sweeping Armada (Major knockback and decent damage)
4: Mantra of Healing + Sustenance (Tons of constant healing)
Passives: Beacon of Ytar + One with Everything + ? (This one is very circumstantial)

Seems to get the job done pretty well.

Lesath

Noob question here: Does LOH work with attack speed, say I have 3.0 attacks per second and 600 LOH, will I be gaining 1800 life every attack I do?

There are some hidden modifiers. For example, a monk's Fist of Thunder seems to gain more Life on Hit per hit than say, Crippling Wave, even before taking into account the fact that FoT hits faster.

Kyoufu

What? You gain 600 life every ATTACK you do. If you attack 3 times in one second, then you gain 1800 in one second, from all 3 attacks combined.

Gila

What? You gain 600 life every ATTACK you do. If you attack 3 times in one second, then you gain 1800 in one second, from all 3 attacks combined.

Right that's what I meant, my bad. Awesome that is awesome then, guess I'll be looking at LOH stats now too!

GJS

Right that's what I meant, my bad. Awesome that is awesome then, guess I'll be looking at LOH stats now too!

Depends on the skill you use to attack as well, not every skill gives the same LoH.

It all depends on AoE, dots etc.

For example FoT with thunderclap gives 375% of your LoH for the 3 attack combo due to it's AoE on strikes, whilst other skills only give 185% or 200%.

The same can be said for other classes, there are tables out there where people have measured the procs.

rpqd2.jpg

Calidor

I've been stocking mass amounts of square Amethysts/emeralds from the AH since they are dirt cheap.

Based on my math, I should need 64 squares for 1 top tier, after the 1.03 patch. Hopefuly I'll make some decent profit from this.

pigeon

Banned
I've been stocking mass amounts of square Amethysts/emeralds from the AH since they are dirt cheap.

Based on my math, I should need 64 squares for 1 top tier, after the 1.03 patch. Hopefuly I'll make some decent profit from this.

Wait, why do you think the price of squares will go up? The supply's going to go up after the patch because they'll be so much cheaper to make, so the price is just going to go down even further, probably.

Lesath

Monks have a passive skill that makes all of your resistances equal to your highest. Use gear that boosts one resistance instead of all, and it won't be too expensive. This will also let you find gear that boosts tons of other things. It wouldn't hurt to have a bit more defense, either.

Also, your skill setup is quite odd, in my opinion. You have no means of escape, or pushing enemies away, or kiting, or anything like that. A simple reskilling will help tremendously.

I use:
Lclick: Fists of Thunder + Thunderclap (Let's me easily move around enemies without being hit)
Rclick: Crippling Wave + Tsunami (Easily attack many enemies, slows them by a ton)
1: Breath of Heaven + Penitent Flame (Heal + Fear? Yes please)
2: Blinding Flash + Faith in Light (Useful in emergencies, and a good buff)
3: Lashing Tail Kick + Sweeping Armada (Major knockback and decent damage)
4: Mantra of Healing + Sustenance (Tons of constant healing)
Passives: Beacon of Ytar + One with Everything + ? (This one is very circumstantial)

Seems to get the job done pretty well.

Weren't you the one who cleared Inferno Diablo a while back? Regardless, I'm glad to have your input.

Sorry about not showing my build: I run OwE, StI, and Transcendence.

Strange that you would find my build odd; it is as cookie cutter as it gets. Admittedly, I got greedy with Sweeping Wind because it is such an amazing ability for its Spirit Cost. I usually run Mystic Ally for its role as a distraction, and I have initially been turned off to LtK due to its windup and clunkiness when paired with Deadly Reach. Although it would suck to lose the armor buff from Keen Eye, I will give your build a shot.

Calidor

Wait, why do you think the price of squares will go up? The supply's going to go up after the patch because they'll be so much cheaper to make, so the price is just going to go down even further, probably.

not going to sell squares obviously. Plan is to get as much as raw materials (squares, tomes, etc.) as possible since they are around the highest drops possible, before 1.03, and then after the upgrade prices have been reduced, start producing top gems

zbeeb

Ok guys, so I'm going to be LTTP here but..

I just got Diablo 3 and played through the first act. WHY, for the love of god does the main character have such terrible lines? I always figured blizzard made decent enough plotlines and writing, but some of the stuff that's come out is just terrible.

Otherwise its delightful <3

Sarcasm

So from reading as some one:

Who hasn't even used the AH yet (might have to in higher difficulties) and isn't too worried about gold..

yes it is okay to invest in the gem dude in early diff.

Blacksmith only start in higher diff?

balddemon

Banned
So from reading as some one:

Who hasn't even used the AH yet (might have to in higher difficulties) and isn't too worried about gold..

yes it is okay to invest in the gem dude in early diff.

Blacksmith only start in higher diff?

eh i maxed them both out over the course of the 85 hours i've played my barb just for fun. once u can clear act 1 easily it's not too expensive

isny

napkin dispenser
eh i maxed them both out over the course of the 85 hours i've played my barb just for fun. once u can clear act 1 easily it's not too expensive

Is it sad I've played my barb 168 hours? ;_;

I'm also on the fence now about buying more all resist gear now as I'd hate to spend the cash and have them nerf it, or nerf Inferno to the point where it's not needed =/

balddemon

Banned
But I been vendoring all my blues & yellows lol!!

well i dont use the blacksmith for lvl 1-10 stuff lol. only gonna use for 4-6 prop plans which afaik u need only inferno mats
Is it sad I've played my barb 168 hours? ;_;

I'm also on the fence now about buying more all resist gear now as I'd hate to spend the cash and have them nerf it, or nerf Inferno to the point where it's not needed =/

nah barbs are by far the best character so its all good

also i figure once they take the added dmg when u have more than 1 person in inferno, u wont need as much all resist.

I got a plan for a 5 prop bow. Would it be worth upgrading my blacksmith from level 6 so he can make it?

Is there money to be made in 5 props or just 6?

Sarcasm

well i dont use the blacksmith for lvl 1-10 stuff lol. only gonna use for 4-6 prop plans which afaik u need only inferno mats

nah barbs are by far the best character so its all good

also i figure once they take the added dmg when u have more than 1 person in inferno, u wont need as much all resist.

SO you just send gold to upgrade it to that point where you can make good stuff? I actually don't know how this works (both BS and GEM dude)

Also what does 4-6 prop mean?

pigeon

Banned
not going to sell squares obviously. Plan is to get as much as raw materials (squares, tomes, etc.) as possible since they are around the highest drops possible, before 1.03, and then after the upgrade prices have been reduced, start producing top gems

Right, but, if the price is going to go down, stocking up now makes no sense. You should be dumping your raw materials now and buying them up after the patch, because it'll be even cheaper then.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

I just got Diablo 3 and played through the first act. WHY, for the love of god does the main character have such terrible lines? I always figured blizzard made decent enough plotlines and writing, but some of the stuff that's come out is just terrible.

Story and voice acting is pretty terrible throughout, but it's not really what the game is about. Unlike something like Elder Scrolls where I really love the lore, Diablo is not interesting at all in that regard.

balddemon

Banned
I got a plan for a 5 prop bow. Would it be worth upgrading my blacksmith from level 6 so he can make it?

Is there money to be made in 5 props or just 6?
all i know is u could sell the plan for a couple hundred k.
SO you just send gold to upgrade it to that point where you can make good stuff? I actually don't know how this works (both BS and GEM dude)

Also what does 4-6 prop mean?

yeah pretty much. no point in combining anything lvls 1-9 jeweler til next patch anyways, and the Blacksmith is fairly useless (i've made some useful stuff over the hours) until u get good plans for him

all i know is u could sell the plan for a couple hundred k.

yeah pretty much. no point in combining anything lvls 1-9 jeweler til next patch anyways, and the Blacksmith is fairly useless (i've made some useful stuff over the hours) until u get good plans for him

I found a legendary blacksmith plan for a low level daibo and it sold for a surprising 500k. Relatively fast too. I was surprised.

Edit: Surprise surprise surprise surprise

GJS

What route do you guys usually take when farming act 1?

I usually start at the imprisoned angel, then get 5 nv at the cemetary and leorics manner. After that I complete HoA 2, cursed hold, HoA 3 & butcher, then I usually do the festering woods and the northern highlands to get the elites/champs there and in the watchtower.

Is it worth doing more of act 1 rather than just repeating these areas? Or cutting down and doing less?

gatti-man

Hit an inferno wall with my wizard. I obviously need more dps but i need to spend massive amounts to boost it which i dont have. Im putting this down for now. No need to beat my head against a wall when gear will only get cheaper.

All of the characters in this game communicate entirely in catch phrases and one liners, especially the later villains.

Sarcasm

I hate the checkpoint system in this game. Hey surprise lunch outing...well too bad we gonna start you over from the way start!

Here's my Barb stats. Act 3 is no problem for me.

I need to work on upgrading my blue ring (lol) and some lower tier pieces (gloves, legs, bracers).

For the Barbs above me, invest in a Helm of Command. They're not expensive and well worth it.

Alright on your advice I got a Helm of Command. I had to sacrifice about 40 strength and about 40 all resist, but I guess it was worth it. At least I was able to find one with a socket.

I guess it made a difference, i was able to get through The Breached Keep and kill Ghom (although Ghom was quite difficult). I really hate the idea of giving up my shield for a Stormshield though. my current one had 94 strength, 81 vit, a socket, 1100 armor, and 77 all resist. But the block chance is only 15%

I also replaced Threatening Shout with Leap + Armor bonus and so far its working out pretty well

Alright on your advice I got a Helm of Command. I had to sacrifice about 40 strength and about 40 all resist, but I guess it was worth it. At least I was able to find one with a socket.

I guess it made a difference, i was able to get through The Breached Keep and kill Ghom (although Ghom was quite difficult). I really hate the idea of giving up my shield for a Stormshield though. my current one had 94 strength, 81 vit, a socket, 1100 armor, and 77 all resist. But the block chance is only 15%

I am not a theorycrafter or anything but I'd imagine block chance adds tremendously to survivability. I got a pretty good deal on a nice shield with 28% and although I'm dual wielding in A1, I'm sure I will be utilizing that shield in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom