• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Owzers

Finished Nightmare difficulty on my barbarian. Played through normal with a friend, then nightmare with some random groups. It was okay for the most part, and my first Diablo game, but it's making me raise an eyebrow at the love the franchise got. I don't think Diablo 3 is special in any way/shape/form, it's just a decent dungeon crawler. And act 2 wasn't fun in the slightest.

DTKT

Finished Nightmare difficulty on my barbarian. Played through normal with a friend, then nightmare with some random groups. It was okay for the most part, and my first Diablo game, but it's making me raise an eyebrow at the love the franchise got. I don't think Diablo 3 is special in any way/shape/form, it's just a decent dungeon crawler. And act 2 wasn't fun in the slightest.

To be honest, there is a lot wrong with D3. It's also severely lacking content. D2 had several patches and one big expansion.

inky

After getting shit loot from yesterday's Act I haul, and realizing that farming Act II is pretty slow, I decided to try what people seem to be doing, which is farming goblins for hours on end.

screenshot050qqyas.jpg

Now I know why this shit is the best way to do it... got 6 rares btw.

Anyone have a handy formula for what price to list something for to get x price after the 15% fee? Is it like 119% of your desired amount?

Sorry, I blame the American school system.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Yesterday was a good day.

ibbtnu346nYWdn.jpg

I don't know why I'm getting all this super-good DH gear all of a sudden. Probably because I don't play DH.

What are you farming Jebus lol...

Anyone have a handy formula for what price to list something for to get x price after the 15% fee? Is it like 119% of your desired amount?

Sorry, I blame the American school system.

Wut?

Buyout price -minus 15% on a calculator :lol

DTKT

After getting shit loot from yesterday's Act I haul, and realizing that farming Act II is pretty slow, I decided to try what people seem to be doing, which is farming goblins for hours on end.

Now I know why this shit is the best way to do it... got 6 rares btw.

Where is that one?

Dahbomb

The Ancient Path waypoint goblin in Act 2 Blacksoul stone is a pretty easy and a good farm spot. The more people hunting it together but separately the more loot you can get in a very short amount of time. Just make sure you have 150-200 MF.

scy

He is saying he will play the AH game UNTIL the patch releases. I think he is just venting on how mind boggingly stupid the loot table is on inferno.

It sounded more like "I can't farm because drops won't let me progress" which is pretty much false. You can farm equipment in Act 1 to make progress into Act 2. It takes a long time though and, yes, the equipment will just be outclassed by ilvl 62 and 63 drops later which I suppose isn't what people want from farming for so long (e.g., should be close to best in slot rather than best until next Act).

The difficulty curve and "loot never ever drops impossible" issues are a little blown out of proportion, personally.

RDreamer

Kind of depressing that I finally get through Act 2's brick wall and now it seems like Act 3 is an even steeper climb. I'm really kind of dumbfounded on exactly what kind of godly equipment I need now...

What's a good demon hunter build at 35 in nightmare?

I have 1021 dps, 4876 hp.

Not gonna spend money twinking.

Thanks yo

Sentry + rain of arrows with beasts dropping bombs + companion giving hatred+ elemental arrow with frost rune or the machinegun like shooting with cost reducing rune.

Sorry can't remember names right now

Kind of depressing that I finally get through Act 2's brick wall and now it seems like Act 3 is an even steeper climb. I'm really kind of dumbfounded on exactly what kind of godly equipment I need now...

What class are you? Maybe team up with somebody else as that gives you a lot more group buffs, and it doesn't make the mobs any harder now.

Tom Penny

I picked up a good item then swapped it to see my stats. I must have accidently right clicked at a vendor and sold my other weapon. When I went to the AH to sell the other weapon I realized I fucked up. I couldn't buy it back. I probaby got 1500 for a 500k weapon lol :(

Dahbomb

I pretty much got all my gear for progressing into Act 2 from Act 1. Most of the time was spent farming Act 1 to gather gold to purchase items from the AH to BEAT Act 2. Now I farm goblin spots in Act 2 in order to acquire gear for Act 3 although it's mostly just getting good rares to sell to the AH to buy Act 3+ gear from AH. I got a few upgrades from Act 2 too like a nice 3 socket vest with great dex, vit, armor and all resistance. I actually took a break from the game this weekend to watch ECT and some other stuff but starting Monday I am back into goblin farm mode.

And I agree, for as much as people talk about the "wall" in Act 2 (which no lie, is pretty fucking steep) the wall for Act 3 is pretty steep too. Act 2 has a bigger resistance/defensive gear check from Act 1 but Act 3 is a substantial DPS check. Also Soul Rippers LULZ!

Fularu

Banned
The oasis and beyond elites/champions are kicking my ass "Up, Down, Left, Right, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot".

It would be amusing if, sometimes it wasn't infuriating...

Sigh, back to farming for gold to get to 800ish resist.

Cipherr

The locales are bad and feel to repetitive for how short the 4 acts are. Not enough variance. We shouldn't be descending through like 6 dark spirally areas on the way to Azmodan.

Act 1 handled this much better... you would be in a little fiery dungeon place, then get out of it and end up outdoors, then on to a different area that was visually different. Just look at it:

The cathedral themed areas to start:

ApSb2l.jpg

to the drowned Temple Area with all the ghosts:

bfmYFl.jpg

to the burning town of Wortham:

xmxOql.jpg

to an Outdoor area in the Highlands:

coDe1l.jpg

to the Halls of Agony with sort of a fire theme:

KprsSl.jpg

to the Highlands Passage with the thunderstorm:

hUtCnl.jpg

to the Cursed Hold with all of the Jail Cells and the Jailer:

ML6zwl.jpg

Playing through that felt great. I never got the feeling like I do in like Act 3 or sometimes Act II where I'm like "Fuck, another randomized area with this same theme and layout...."

Act 1 is the best Act IMO. So much more polished than the rest, its a shame that I won't be able to do my end game farming in it because its the first Act of the game.

Won

I can't even remember the last time I got some decent loot from this game. All my good stat rolls are on weapons without damage mods, making them vendor trash. :(

scy

The oasis and beyond elites/champions are kicking my ass "Up, Down, Left, Right, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot".

It would be amusing if, sometimes it wasn't infuriating...

Sigh, back to farming for gold to get to 800ish resist.

Raising your Armor and Resist would be better than just stacking pure Resist. The goal for gearing in Inferno is getting your Resists to being the same mitigation as your Armor (so Resistances = Armor / 10). After that, stacking just Resists is a terrible decision for maximizing the mitigation bonus you can get per slot since it'll scale better with higher Armor AND Resist rather than just one of the two.

Fularu

Banned
The locales are bad and feel to repetitive for how short the 4 acts are. Not enough variance. We shouldn't be descending through like 6 dark spirally areas on the way to Azmodan.

Act 1 handled this much better... you would be in a little fiery dungeon place, then get out of it and end up outdoors, then on to a different area that was visually different. Just look at it:

snip

Playing through that felt great. I never got the feeling like I do in like Act 3 or sometimes Act II where I'm like "Fuck, another randomized area with this same theme and layout...."

Act 1 is the best Act IMO. So much more polished than the rest, its a shame that I won't be able to do my end game farming in it because its the first Act of the game.

Act 2 has way more diversity and a much darker atmosphere. Desert, sewers, gore town, oasis, desolate land, timeless archives and so on. I loved every bit of it.

Act 3 is an all out war ragging around you. Act IV felt too similar but the tension was there. I mean, you're supposed to be able to speed clear the game in 3 hours and a half, you can't have a whole lot of "diversity" to it.
Raising your Armor and Resist would be better than just stacking pure Resist. The goal for gearing in Inferno is getting your Resists to being the same mitigation as your Armor (so Resistances = Armor / 10). After that, stacking just Resists is a terrible decision for maximizing the mitigation bonus you can get per slot since it'll scale better with higher Armor AND Resist rather than just one of the two.
I have 9.5k armor and 600ish resist right now, so this is prety much what I'm trying to do.

Stats are :

9.5k armor
7% dodge
30% block
38k hp
23k dps
600ish resists

The life of a barbarian in inferno :p

RDreamer

What class are you? Maybe team up with somebody else as that gives you a lot more group buffs, and it doesn't make the mobs any harder now.

I'm monk.

I suppose I'll have to try and find someone, preferably another monk so we could run healing and evasion mantras. But really I'm just surprised again at how big of a leap it is. I was tanking some pretty hard hitting elites in act 2, and now I joined about 5 games and got slaughtered right out the gate.

eek5

Stats are :

9.5k armor
7% dodge
30% block
38k hp
23k dps
600ish resists

The life of a barbarian in inferno :p

You should be able to make it through a2 with those stats. It might be a problem with your skill build/playstyle more than anything. I'd probably try to get another 30 dex to get dodge to 10% but with 9.5k/6k you should be able to progress through Oasis. I did that section with 7k/700 I think.

scy

I have 9.5k armor and 600ish resist right now, so this is prety much what I'm trying to do.

What's your Life on Hit? That'll probably be the more important upgrade realistically. Diablo 3 tanking is less sheer brute force mitigation but mitigating enough that your healing keeps you alive until your DPS kills it.

Fularu

Banned
You should be able to make it through a2 with those stats. It might be a problem with your skill build/playstyle more than anything. I'd probably try to get another 30 dex to get dodge to 10% but with 9.5k/6k you should be able to progress through Oasis. I did that section with 7k/700 I think.

Current build is :

1 : Furious Charge (with heals on hit)
2 : Revenge (with 30% rune)
3 : Quake (with lower cooldown/free cast rune)
4 : WOTB with 100% damage buff

Left click : Frenzy + axe throwing rune
Right click : Warcry + resist rune.

What should I change?

What's your Life on Hit? That'll probably be the more important upgrade realistically. Diablo 3 tanking is less sheer brute force mitigation but mitigating enough that your healing keeps you alive until your DPS kills it.

That's the other problem, I have about 100 LoH (from the amulet). Weapon upgrades or even downgrades with LoH or a socket to put a gem in them are out of reach right now (I have 900k gold). So let's forget about amulets/rings with those for now.

Hence back to farming gold, I guess I should need about 3-4 million gold to buy the rings/amulets that would satisfy those needs (attack% increase/LoH/All res for max LoH efficiency)

zlatko

Banned
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#aeYdVX!Yea!baZbbZ

Probably something like that. I didn't actually play my DH until it was level 60 (lol kulle) but I'd imagine something like that is good enough. Chakrams are OP at that level.

EDIT: Forgot runes.

I'm like level 31 just starting off NM as my DH, but some of this build I have questions about.

Mainly, why chakrams over elemental arrow? Electric version of ele arrow seems so broken lol.

Why tactical advantage as a third trait? Vengeance seems more appropriate.

Isn't shadow power better than smoke screen? You already have vault to get out of shitty situation, might as well have the other to restore the health quickly.

The rest of it I agree with for sure, but just curious if you can explain why your choices are better than what I have. ;)

I'm like level 31 just starting off NM as my DH, but some of this build I have questions about.

Mainly, why chakrams over elemental arrow? Electric version of ele arrow seems so broken lol.

Isn't shadow power better than smoke screen? You already have vault to get out of shitty situation, might as well have the other to restore the health quickly.

The rest of it I agree with for sure, but just curious if you can explain why your choices are better than what I have. ;)

I honestly don't know anything about a DH in his situation but that's the build I use to do siegebreaker runs in inferno (with some runes switched around to higher level ones and NT elemental arrows instead of chakram). As for chakrams I just remember my friend using them when I was leveling in nightmare on my WD and they just chewed through everything. This was on day 1 or 2 as well so there wasn't any twinking going on.

scy

Nightmare/Hell easy mode, might as well move through the boredom faster :x

As for Shadow Power, it's underrated vs "I hit Smokescreen and take no damage." SP/Gloom is rather useful for building towards non-glass cannon DH setups but a lot of people just build DHs to kill things before getting hit becomes relevant (and/or just die a lot and respawn rush things).

The Life Steal% reduction in Inferno is also blown a bit out of proportion. I mean, it's a little excessive (33% would be easier to deal with) but it must happen at the damage output you can reach. 3% Life Steal on a weapon when you can hit for 50k+ is 1500 Life on Hit, for instance. And it scales better than Life on Hit does for multi-target skills. Hopefully it gets tweaked a bit so the transition from Life on Hit to Life Steal% happens more; LS% is the better stat at end-game Inferno.

Nether Tentacles with Shadow Power still nets you ~8% Life Steal in Inferno so it's not exactly useless.

scy

Okay thanks guys. Ditching shadow power, and ditching ele arrow for now for chakrams.

What about the third trait?

Er, I'd use Ball Lightning over Chakrams. Easier to fire and aim and better damage for Hatred used. It's also a far more mobile and spammable skill.

This is so true. It's weird to call a Blizzard game frontloaded, but this one really was. Act 2 basically had deserts, sewers and those weird ruins that were apparently trying to emulate the Arcane Sanctuary from D2. Act 3 was ramparts, keep depths, a snowy field and the fiery mountain. Then act 4 was just sad.

Cagey

Banned
After AH fee I only made 75k, didn't want to take too much of a risk :p

Yep, but if you find 5 of those sorts of modest gains (let's call it $100K per, $500K total net) in 15 minutes (given the per-item profit is so small, it's quite easy), you've just done the equivalent of possibly hours of Butcher runs!

I snared a 50K item yesterday afternoon that made me say "welp, not playing D3 today". Sold overnight for 5m gross.

th3dude

Any tips for playing the AH? I imagine you want to snipe up new listings. I saw another Gaffer say he focuses on one particular type of item.

DTKT

Any tips for playing the AH? I imagine you want to snipe up new listings. I saw another Gaffer say he focuses on one particular type of item.

amulet and ring are probably the most profitable. But it's also the hardest.

Pants, chest, glove and bracers could work.

AJoBC.jpg

Just got the Brigand's Clasp here for 1m on the AH. Pretty sure that was a ridiculous steal. I lose a small amount of armor (because of STR>Armor conversion and because of VIT>Armor Conversion for Barb), but the Attack speed gives me about 20% additional life per second after I do the conversion between hits / second and LoH, and combined with the dps it seems like a no brainer

Cipherr

From the official Forums:

Lost 231 hours due to a major bug

Well.. I posted this on eu aswell.. Dont know what I should say.. Please fix this bug, alot of players will die from this.

I was farming in a2 inferno. (Hardcore) When i suddenly get killed from some invisible dune stinger projektiles..

I actually watched the video in 720p a few times, this guy has a legit case here of the game actually bugging out and fucking him over. He gets his 231 hour Mage killed in Inferno by invisible dune stingers from wasps in Act II. I have said it before, but anyone playing Hardcore is clinically certifiable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom