• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Is there no way to filter for max damage or am I missing something? I see bonus minimum but can't find the other one.

Got this ring and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth anything:

nsH9q.jpg

Can I touch that ring? I have a neckpiece with the same type of stat layout except with 7.5 crit rating

GJS

What kind of armour strategy do you use. Pick armour with one resistance / resist all + dex and Vit? Then use one with everything? I get raped.

Yeah, I'm a cold-resist monk in the process of getting each equip to be cold-resist + all resist. Then with Dex+vit on most gear as close to 100 as I can find or higher.

I can post the equip I have if anyone is interested.

That table is correct. I switched to FoT and just sat in Ghom's fart clouds for the entire encounter. The faster spirit gain also grants tremendous gains in Life per Spirit Spent. Though for elites, I prefer Keen Eye for the survivability and reach, as FoT's teleportation can get you intro trouble if mobs have AoE effects.

Also, to respond to an earlier post, the fact that Breath of Heaven has static values isn't important; it scales with your armor and resists. Vitality is pretty much the most useless stat a monk has once he or she stops being three-shot. EHP gains via vitality becomes less important, while sustain via LoH or LpSS more and more relevant.

I thought Thunderclap gave me better results than others runes for FoT. I'll try Fist of Fury Run tonight as well as that seems like it's got good returns with LOH gear.

Lesath

What's a good monk build for Belial inferno?

Generally, anything works. You just have to have the patience to avoid his arm swings. I recommend getting Mystic Ally to get the damage in while you run around like a madman trying to avoid his swings. Don't get greedy; sometimes he follows up his three-hit combo with a devastating single hit. Generally, you want to start on the right, and make your way left when he starts his combo. I think it's bugged the other way around.

EDIT: @Fenderputty, yeah, I pretty much only use FoT with Thunderclap. I hate relying on dodge.

Oh man, I've found a 800dps 1-hander with a socket but I still can't use it when I need to go with a shield because I can only get it to 300 LoH, while my current weapon has 420dps but reaches 700 LoH, and the impact is pretty big.
At least it is good for the moments when I feel fine with dual wielding, even if the other weapon brings the overall dps down by 1k, but having 1k LoH is pretty comfortable even if I only output 12k dps instead of 13k.

Thunderclap is pretty nice with good Life on Hit, especially if you are against a group of mobs.
However, it is necessary to get used to its mini-teleport because it can put you in really bad spots as much as it can save you.

I've moved some of my LOH off of my weapon and into other things. I have a 450 LOH blue socketd amulet with dex in it and another ring I found with 15% IAS and 125 LOH. Also a blue.

lesath said:
EDIT: @Fenderputty, yeah, I pretty much only use FoT with Thunderclap. I hate relying on dodge.

I've noticed it works wonders with Lashing Tail kick too. If mobs surrounds me, I can tail kick them all over the place and then thunderclap to the one I want to focus on. It use the teleportation to get me out of trouble a lot.

It's been usefull in act II as well. Those stupid bugs that shoot poinson at you are easy with thunderclap. My main issue with act II was the first elite pack I hit. Desecration / Shielded / Arcane / Jailer I think it was it was. Absolutely stupid.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Generally, anything works. You just have to have the patience to avoid his arm swings. I recommend getting Mystic Ally to get the damage in while you run around like a madman trying to avoid his swings. Don't get greedy; sometimes he follows up his three-hit combo with a devastating single hit. Generally, you want to start on the right, and make your way left when he starts his combo. I think it's bugged the other way around.

Guess I'll try to memorize everything in normal mode.

Tom Penny

Yeah, I'm a cold-resist monk in the process of getting each equip to be cold-resist + all resist. Then with Dex+vit on most gear as close to 100 as I can find or higher.

I can post the equip I have if anyone is interested.

If you could just to get a general idea if your surviving or PM me or whatever. I originally did that with resist lighting..I'm just not sure if DPS is important act 2.

Alright so I'm saving up a ton of gold (thinking around 10million) and I'm going to buy a sweet weapon for my Wizard. However I don't really know what I should be looking for. Do I want to go 2H or 1H + source? Is attack speed something I should be looking for or is the upcoming nerf going to hurt it too much? Should I just buy the highest DPS I can find, or slightly lower DPS with some stats on it? Any advice would be appreciated!

Neki

GIVE AWAY TIME (NORTH AMERICAN SERVERS)

As you can see, this is no simple give away. I've blacked out important stats on each item, meaning that you're going to have to luck out to get the best item! One of these items is worth 500k, while one of these items is like 50k, and some of them I don't even know the value!

If you want to enter, just PM your battle tag and what item you want. If you can't decide, you can always change your mind or have a place holder. Two lucky people is going to get to gamble on free items!

End time is 6PM Mountain Time tomorrow.

Let me re-iterate, that only two people are going to win.

Good luck! :D

EDIT: You know what, let's make it two people. ;)

One hour left boys, hope you're all feeling lucky!

syllogism

Alright so I'm saving up a ton of gold (thinking around 10million) and I'm going to buy a sweet weapon for my Wizard. However I don't really know what I should be looking for. Do I want to go 2H or 1H + source? Is attack speed something I should be looking for or is the upcoming nerf going to hurt it too much? Should I just buy the highest DPS I can find, or slightly lower DPS with some stats on it? Any advice would be appreciated!
Having a socket is far more important than, say, 100 base dps. Once your crit chance is high, 70% crit dmg gem equals about 280 int.

Shouta

From using Fist of Thunder, sure. Thunderclap just closes gaps. It is purely a utility rune, really. If you need more survivability, it really should be swapped out for Lightning Flash.

Thunderclap is AOE damage + teleport.

I haven't played D3 in Hardcore, but I played a ton of D2 in Hardcore.

My mind is currently tripping balls thinking about the fact that you can't bail out of a fight that you maybe shouldn't have tried, or brute force it with potions.

Dropping down a TP at the beginning of a battle and chugging full rejuvs was such a fundamental safety valve in D2 that I can't comprehend not having those options.

If you step into a fight that you may not be 100% ready for in this game, you're just screwed.

Opiate

Ugg, the gold sellers are down to 7/m. This is going to be brutal.

It should definitely be lower. Given that a real, non-crazy person can easily farm 500k/hour given intelligent gold farming gear right now -- let alone in a few months -- it would be absolutely absurd if someone could turn this game in a to a near-minimum wage job. Gold should be 1-3 dollars per million at most, long term, or else there will be much too strong an incentive to farm individually.

GJS

If you could just to get a general idea if your surviving or PM me or whatever. I originally did that with resist lighting..I'm just not sure if DPS is important act 2.

items.png

I need to upgrade my helm, shoulders, gloves, chest, pants, and bracers, but they are fine for act 2 right now.

maharg

idspispopd
It should definitely be lower. Given that a real, non-crazy person can easily farm 500k/hour given intelligent gold farming gear right now -- let alone in a few months -- it would be absolutely absurd if someone could turn this game in a to a near-minimum wage job. Gold should be 1-3 dollars per million at most, long term, or else there will be much too strong an incentive to farm individually.

I have next to no opinion about how much gold should be worth or cost, I have basically no intention of either buying or selling gold or items for real money. But, you're thinking about this entirely backwards. Supply and demand decide price, not some notion of how much people should be making while creating the value. If you want to argue that supply will be high so prices should be low, that's fine, but no one is going to care how much the seller is making, only how much they value the purchase.

LordCanti

I know it's way higher than it should be, but I'm still sad to see my gold stash devalue by 30% in a day.

It's not that I even need the money; I just thought it would be kind of cool if a game paid for itself through a self contained auction house.

Opiate

I have next to no opinion about how much gold should be worth or cost, I have basically no intention of either buying or selling gold or items for real money. But, you're thinking about this entirely backwards. Supply and demand decide price, not some notion of how much people should be making while creating the value. If you want to argue that supply will be high so prices should be low, that's fine, but no one is going to care how much the seller is making, only how much they value the purchase.

That is precisely how I'm thinking about it.

If price is very high, people will have strong incentive to create huge supply. If I can make, let's say, about 6 dollars on hour playing this game in my free time, lots and lots of people will take that opportunity until the market is flooded with gold and prices drop.

Supply will not equalize until the cost is significantly lower and you cannot make adequate wages performing this ostensibly entertaining task in your free time.

I know it's way higher than it should be, but I'm still sad to see my gold stash devalue by 30% in a day.

It's not that I even need the money; I just thought it would be kind of cool if a game paid for itself through a self contained auction house.

Yes, this is completely reasonable. I can understand this mindset.

Having a socket is far more important than, say, 100 base dps. Once your crit chance is high, 70% crit dmg gem equals about 280 int.

Cool thanks for the advice guys. Sorta know what I"m looking for now.

If gold was 1-3 bucks / million I'd buy it. I wouldn't even care I waste money on way stupider things.

Also just out of curiosity what's the best place to farm gold for someone whose working on breaking into Act 2 Inferno? I can clear the Butcher no trouble but that doesn't seem to be the quickest way to get gold.

LordCanti

C
Also just out of curiosity what's the best place to farm gold for someone whose working on breaking into Act 2 Inferno? I can clear the Butcher no trouble but that doesn't seem to be the quickest way to get gold.

Put 200+% Gold Find on and then run the Cathedral over and over (assuming they only nerfed the crypts and not the actual cathedral). Almost no risk of death (unless you run into a particularly nasty champ mob) and plenty of pots/barrels/corpses/etc to plunder.

Opiate

Cool thanks for the advice guys. Sorta know what I"m looking for now.

If gold was 1-3 bucks / million I'd buy it. I wouldn't even care I waste money on way stupider things.

Personally, I do skeleton king -> butcher runs, while recognizing that the middle portions of act I (khazra areas) are less ideal. I do this in ~2.15 hours and make ~740k gold in the process without any consideration for AHable items; that's straight gold.

I have geared for this, however. With 5 stacks of nephelem, I have ~310% Gold find while doing >85k DPS.

Also, you might not buy gold at 2 dollars / million if very good end game items cost 50M gold per, which they most likely will, long term.

Sarcasm

True, but consider that all the other laptops that can offer screaming gaming performance are huge, ugly bricks that will last about 40 minutes battery-wise while playing said games.

So Apple has found a way around intensive cpu and gpu eating battery like a mofo?

650m is pretty low end.

maharg

idspispopd
That is precisely how I'm thinking about it.

If price is very high, people will have strong incentive to create huge supply. If I can make, let's say, about 6 dollars on hour playing this game in my free time, lots and lots of people will take that opportunity until the market is flooded with gold and prices drop.

Supply will not equalize until the cost is significantly lower and you cannot make adequate wages performing this ostensibly entertaining task in your free time.

I think the segment of the population who would find grinding for gold to sell entertaining for any length of time is actually vanishingly small. And $6/hr is a pretty low value of money given that minimum wage is a fair bit higher in most places. As a hobby income, a couple of hours a day, it might be worthwhile, but no one's going to choose it over a job that pays twice as much and is far less repetitive and menial. Again, though, you are completely dismissing demand. No one really knows what RMAH demand will be like yet and prognosticating as if you do just makes you seem foolish. Black and grey markets (as current gold sales are) do not operate the same as legitimate ones, so make poor barometers. The vast majority of players probably don't realize they can buy or sell gold.

You also ignore the fact that there is an organization in undisputed control over the maximum rate of supply increase. It'd be crazy to think they won't take advantage of that position to try to maintain a relatively high value. It's directly in their interests.

Helscream

Banned
Put 200+% Gold Find on and then run the Cathedral over and over (assuming they only nerfed the crypts and not the actual cathedral). Almost no risk of death (unless you run into a particularly nasty champ mob) and plenty of pots/barrels/corpses/etc to plunder.

Well I can say from personal experience, the quest you get right after you forge the skeleton kings crown is the best spot. I think its "Reign of the Black King". Basically from the beginning of there to the Skeleton King seems to render the most gold per hour. The corpses you find seem to drop a lot of gold. I'm actually trying to build a gold find set powerful enough so I can farm the Cathedral on Infernal difficulty. But since everyone wants millions of freaking gold for everything at level 60. Going to take a while to finish that set.

It really doesn't matter what the cost of gold is, it matters what the cost of gold is in relation to what items cost. If gold is $1 / million, then Stormshield (for example) will start at 100m instead of 10m. In other words, the DOLLAR value of items should remain constant (barring, perhaps, the initial crash where a large supply goes up all at once).

I'm ok with gold being cheap as dirt, because that just means that that blacksmithing and jeweler crafting will be that much more viable.

scy

Thunderclap is AOE damage + teleport.

Right, I never said it wasn't. I was just saying it's purely utility vs extra survivability from Dodge. Bonus Life on Hit is just worth less to survivability compared to bonus Dodge unless you're having issues with healing enough between getting hit (and I'd still argue that bonus Dodge helps here anyway to lengthen the time you have between hits on average).

Thunderclap isn't the worst rune option but it's one of those ones I'd swap out if I'm having issues surviving.

Edit: Though I did misread that original post I was responding to. Thought it was just referring to the Attack Speed part of it (e.g., the bonus you get for Fist of Thunder over other options). Still, the extra return on Life on Hit isn't the best bonus for survival.

The one Scy posted, who do you think posted it here first? =P

Only because you geared faster than me. I probably should stop playing alts.

...well, I guess my Wizard is technically a main now with how much time I've put in her.

Glix

I think the segment of the population who would find grinding for gold to sell entertaining for any length of time is actually vanishingly small. And $6/hr is a pretty low value of money given that minimum wage is a fair bit higher in most places. As a hobby income, a couple of hours a day, it might be worthwhile, but no one's going to choose it over a job that pays twice as much and is far less repetitive and menial. Again, though, you are completely dismissing demand. No one really knows what RMAH demand will be like yet and prognosticating as if you do just makes you seem foolish. Black and grey markets (as current gold sales are) do not operate the same as legitimate ones, so make poor barometers. The vast majority of players probably don't realize they can buy or sell gold.

You also ignore the fact that there is an organization in undisputed control over the maximum rate of supply increase. It'd be crazy to think they won't take advantage of that position to try to maintain a relatively high value. It's directly in their interests.

I think you fail to take into account how much I hate my fucking boss.

Opiate

I think the segment of the population who would find grinding for gold to sell entertaining for any length of time is actually vanishingly small. And $6/hr is a pretty low value of money given that minimum wage is a fair bit higher in most places. As a hobby income, a couple of hours a day, it might be worthwhile, but no one's going to choose it over a job that pays twice as much and is far less repetitive and menial.

Obviously. That's precisely what I'm talking about.

Again, though, you are completely dismissing demand.

I am using a standard supply/demand curve.

Black and grey markets (as current gold sales are) do not operate the same as legitimate ones, so make poor barometers. The vast majority of players probably don't realize they can buy or sell gold.

We're discussing the official diablo forums here, by the way, not a gold farming site. Regardless, my conjecture is purely based on incentive: if incentive to farm is high, people will farm a lot. 6 dollars/hour is a very strong incentive to play a game, obviously, given that the usual incentive is 0 dollars. Supply will increase, pushing us further down the demand curve, like this:

supply-vs-demand.jpg

Why is it in their interest? It isn't at all, as far as I can tell. Selling 200M gold at 2/M creates exactly the same value as selling 50M gold at 8/M.

Volodja

I've moved some of my LOH off of my weapon and into other things. I have a 450 LOH blue socketd amulet with dex in it and another ring I found with 15% IAS and 125 LOH. Also a blue.
I want to do the same as well but the problem is that I'm playing without the AH so gathering items like that takes a lot of luck and time.
Right now I want at least 700/800 of LoH and the 1-handed 800dps sword can't give me that, but if I were to find other stuff with good LoH on them I would probably switch it in for good.

It will be easier as soon as 1.03 hits, but I fear the nerf they want to apply to Inferno so I don't really know if I look forward to the patch that much, even with all the difficulties I'm having progressing.

I want to do the same as well but the problem is that I'm playing without the AH so gathering items like that takes a lot of luck and time.Right now I want at least 700/800 of LoH and the 1-handed 800dps sword can't give me that, but if I were to find other stuff with good LoH on them I would probably switch it in for good.

It will be easier as soon as 1.03 hits, but I fear the nerf they want to apply to Inferno so I don't really know if I look forward to the patch that much, even with all the difficulties I'm having progressing.

I was trying to do that at one point. I kinda figured Blizz designed the game with the AH in mind though, so I've decided to jump in.

The gap in difficulty levels during infnero will cause you enough headache.

To each their own though ... good luck and happy hunting! I'm hoping 1.0.3 makes farming more enjoyable as well.

GJS

I was trying to do that at one point. I kinda figured Blizz designed the game with the AH in mind though, so I've decided to jump in.

To each their own though ... good luck and happy hunting! I'm hoping 1.0.3 makes farming more enjoyable as well.

The devs actually said they designed it without the AH in mind, and expected less people to use the AH. So I presume they aren't particularly happy with how quickly people are progressing.

=o I'm pretty sure every single person in the game knows thanks to general chat spam.

**** 1000KK GOLD FOR $10 ******
***** CHEAP ITEMS *****
***** IN ACCOUNT IN 5 MIN *****

The devs actually said they designed it without the AH in mind, and expected less people to use the AH. So I presume they aren't particularly happy with how quickly people are progressing.

That seems like a silly assumption. When desiging, wouldn't one alway assume worst case scenario?

Shouta

Right, I never said it wasn't. I was just saying it's purely utility vs extra survivability from Dodge. Bonus Life on Hit is just worth less to survivability compared to bonus Dodge unless you're having issues with healing enough between getting hit (and I'd still argue that bonus Dodge helps here anyway to lengthen the time you have between hits on average).

Thunderclap isn't the worst rune option but it's one of those ones I'd swap out if I'm having issues surviving.

It isn't a matter of just utility vs survivability though. The AOE damage is an element of survival because killing mobs before they touch you is a part of that. I prefer Lightning Flash for Elite hunting but Thunderclap is probably equal or better when it comes to progressing Acts because it allows you to kill grunt groups faster and chase down problematic ones. Plus, constant movement allows for some additional dodging benefits, particularly against slow moving attacks like fireballs.

Volodja

The first steps into Act 2 were pretty traumatic, but I'm starting to get a more secure foothold in there, at least for the first part. I bet the first steps in Act 3 will be the same, if I reach it before the patch.
I'm starting to think that with the upcoming changes I'll probably never need to look at the AH.
As I said, I don't know if I'm happy about this fact or not.

It isn't a matter of just utility vs survivability though. The AOE damage is an element of survival because killing mobs before they touch you is a part of that. I prefer Lightning Flash for Elite hunting but Thunderclap is probably equal or better when it comes to progressing Acts because it allows you to kill grunt groups faster and chase down problematic ones. Plus, constant movement allows for some additional dodging benefits, particularly against slow moving attacks like fireballs.
Also AOE = Lots of Life on Hit procs.

The first steps into Act 2 were pretty traumatic, but I'm starting to get a more secure foothold in there, at least for the first part. I bet the first steps in Act 3 will be the same, if I reach it before the patch.
I'm starting to think that with the upcoming changes I'll probably never need to look at the AH.
As I said, I don't know if I'm happy about this fact or not.

Just out of curiousity, what do you do with your gold? What about valuable items that's aren't good for your specific charachter or level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom