• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
ka3yQ.jpg

The real question is if there will be a 100% safe to play offline version

I hope to god now that they made 6 million sales and cant possibly be that much hurt from piracy, offer an option to a completly offline version

Tears of joy would start pouring from my eyes if that happened

Yap it's scheduled to release just a few days after offline version of Guild Wars 2 releases

maharg

idspispopd

I hope to god now that they made 6 million sales and cant possibly be that much hurt from piracy, offer an option to a completly offline version

I seriously don't understand why you bought this game. There was no bait and switch here, no broken promises. Blizzard made an online game through and through and you bought that. Did you buy it in the hopes they would change their mind and re-architect the game from the ground up? Or did these strong emotions bubble up post-purchase?

eek5

I logged on and in the bottom corner it says to click here if you want to join General chat. That wasn't there before... pretty sure it put you straight in General chat post 1.02c or whatever.

How is this possible without a hotfix that apparently never happened? :tinfoilhat:

Okay so my level 43 Wizard has run into difficulty killing Belial in Act 2 Nightmare. Here's my equipment and stats, can anyone tell me what's wrong with this picture?

What's the problem you're having exactly?

LordCanti

Okay so my level 43 Wizard has run into difficulty killing Belial in Act 2 Nightmare. Here's my equipment and stats, can anyone tell me what's wrong with this picture?

Why don't you fill sockets with class appropriate gems?

(not a wizard, so I can't offer any other advice)

How is this possible without a hotfix that apparently never happened? :tinfoilhat:

Something something aliens.

You should be fine for nightmare Belial; all those empty sockets are pretty bizarre though, if you're falling short filling those up would be an easy first step. Topaz everywhere but helm and weapon, using a ruby in the weapon for +damage has pretty good returns at that level, and the helm can take a ruby for experience gain or an amethyst for +life. In case you didn't know, you can separate gems from sockets for a small fee, so there's no reason not to fill those up.

Your DPS suck.
Get good weapon with socket and insert ruby into it.

I have more than twice that with 2 hander weapon.

Your DPS suck.
Get good weapon with socket and insert ruby into it.

I have more than twice that with 2 hander weapon.

Just filling the sockets in his existing equipment should do fine on upping the dps. That said you could probably pretty cheaply get a substantial weapon upgrade from the auction house. I wouldn't call it necessary though.

I don't have grillions of gold, so I can only afford fairly mediocre gems. Is it still worth doing, and if so, what gems would people suggest?

Just go for damage, topaz in armor (less the helm) ruby in the weapon. Just use the best ones you have.

Not sure about the strategy you're referring to, the trick is to not get hit really. Avoid channeled spells since you can't really just stand still against him.

nasos_333

Yap it's scheduled to release just a few days after offline version of Guild Wars 2 releases

Guild Wars 2 is a MMO, does it get an offline version ?

Diablo 3 is easy to get one since it always offered an offline gaming experience

I am sure i played Diablo 1 and 2 completly offline

Yes, I know my DPS sucks, but again there is the problem with the gold, I can't afford the weapons that have the DPS that I would need.

Oh, those ones are good enough?

Flawless squares are still getting the job done in early inferno for me, so they should more than work for nightmare. Weapons are dirt cheap on the auction house, but again, filling up those sockets should get the job done.

LordCanti

1k on US server

Last 10 trades 798 (whatever that means)

That means the average price of the past 10 trades was 798. The cheapest currently offered gem is 1k (so higher than the average, in other words).

I know what it supposedly means but I rarely see it over the current offer unless someone is just refreshing it and autobuying under a threshold or something.

Aah, I was hoping you weren't actually asking what it means lol.

Yeah, people undercut on comoddities constantly. Blizzard's algorithm for selling them is also a bit flawed from what I can tell (if you list 10 gems, it will sell them as a set of 10, and not individually. It's waaaay faster to list them individually.)

When I'm undercutting, I undercut the current price, not the average of the past ten trades. That usually means a quick sale.

eek5

That means the average price of the past 10 trades was 798. The cheapest currently offered gem is 1k.

I know what it supposedly means but I rarely see it over the current offer unless someone is just refreshing it and autobuying under a threshold or something. I guess it's just really misleading because someone selling 1 gem for 10 gold would drop the last 10 average by a LOT.

Guild Wars 2 is a MMO, does it get an offline version ?

Diablo 3 is easy to get one since it always offered an offline gaming experience

I am sure i played Diablo 1 and 2 completly offline

For better or worse, Diablo 3 is fundamentally different in its construction, and basically runs on Blizzard's end entirely. It would require radical changes to the way the game is built to give you an offline version. As you so astutely observed, they already sold 6 million copies, what's their incentive to rebuild the game from the ground up?

Not suggesting that I agree with their choice to make these changes, but they are what they are, and there is a snowball's chance in act 3 inferno that it changes.

Radec

What are you smoking bro.

Blizz will make much much more money if it stays online.

Tears of Joy of Pirates won't happen. Unless they make their own private servers.

Danj

OK thanks for the advice guys, now off to the AH to buy some gems. Didn't realise that removing gems was cheap so I hadn't put anything in because I didn't want to screw it up with a low level gem.

LordCanti

If there really was a gold dupe exploit, I imagine someone would have bought all the high end gear on AH

A smart person would dupe only what they could unload over the course of a day, and then repeat.

Someone that suddenly has a billion gold in their inventory is obviously going to draw suspicion.

so the AH dupe bug has been fixed?

Most likely. One definitely existed on the Asian servers, but it's currently unknown if it made its way stateside.

nasos_333

For better or worse, Diablo 3 is fundamentally different in its construction, and basically runs on Blizzard's end entirely. It would require radical changes to the way the game is built to give you an offline version. As you so astutely observed, they already sold 6 million copies, what's their incentive to rebuild the game from the ground up?

Not suggesting that I agree with their choice to make these changes, but they are what they are, and there is a snowball's chance in act 3 inferno that it changes.

Well, one can hope

Well, one can hope

Yeah, but there are so many things that one could hope for, I guess I'd rather pick one that might actually happen. Like Legendary weapons that aren't a bad joke, or Necromancer class in the inevitable expansion. The first one they claim to be working on now! That feels better, to me at least.

Dynoro

OK thanks for the advice guys, now off to the AH to buy some gems. Didn't realise that removing gems was cheap so I hadn't put anything in because I didn't want to screw it up with a low level gem.

Hopefully this helps; but when I did Belial on NM with my Wiz I just dropped a venom hydra and ran around - killed him in no time and I only got hit once. Your DPS is very low though - I generally set a max buyout of about 10-15k and found improvements at that level on EU servers.

eek5

So I guess most of the 1H can max cold roll around 1200 dps. Based on the dps range of high end AH weapons (1-1.1k) with max rolls of ~1570, any cold weapon over about 820dps is a really good roll. I have yet to see anything at or above that though.

I did pick up this 2H which was the highest base damage I could find.

item_24.png

Unfortunately I found out after that the damage from tornado is affected by your attack speed so the DPS gain over my regular weapon is pretty minimal. Oh well. It works pretty well with seismic slam but I have issues keeping my fury high enough to keep slamming.

I still want to hunt down a good DPS 1H. I tried my 500 DPS one out in A3 a bit and it's really, really good for enemies that run away a lot (shamans, molaks, etc). Basically slows them down enough that you can just kill them. Really underrated!

V_Arnold

people still getting booted from the server and lagging out in single player??????????????

Uhm, online games? Am I considering myself to be "single playerin' " when I am soloing an instance in World of Warcraft? Can I expect an offline mode there soon as well?

I don't mind being online since I was always going to play online, I DO however mind their online service being kinda shitty at the moment compared to how relatively smooth it is in WoW.

Twinduct

I don't mind being online since I was always going to play online, I DO however mind their online service being kinda shitty at the moment compared to how relatively smooth it is in WoW.

Same here. I've accepted the 'change'. Just wish they had a smoother server. Playing at 350-380 sure ain't worth it.

nasos_333

people still bitchin about the "online only"????

With all those problems sure, why not ?

When you buy a game you expect to play it and enjoy youself, not get a stroke when your 200 hours hero is hacked

There are many Diablo gamers that never played Diablo for the online, so they never wanted such problems in Diablo 3 and would gladly pay for a new offline only version

Kenaras

This again.

MMORPG vs co-op optional game. The two aren't comparable.

MMORPG vs Online RPG. The two are quite comparable.

I realize there's a large group of Diablo fans who didn't want Diablo III to be an Online RPG, but that ship sailed a long time ago. It's time to move on.

Danj

Hopefully this helps; but when I did Belial on NM with my Wiz I just dropped a venom hydra and ran around - killed him in no time and I only got hit once. Your DPS is very low though - I generally set a max buyout of about 10-15k and found improvements at that level on EU servers.

Gems worked great, took down Belial no problem this time. Drops were shit though. Anyway, I'm going to see if I can get some more socketed items to put gems in. Is it just me or are there not socketed belts?

Dynoro

Gems worked great, took down Belial no problem this time. Drops were shit though. Anyway, I'm going to see if I can get some more socketed items to put gems in. Is it just me or are there not socketed belts?

I don't think socketed belts exist

rCIZZLE

I realize there's a large group of Diablo fans who didn't want Diablo III to be an Online RPG, but that ship sailed a long time ago. It's time to move on.

One is clearly a multiplayer focused game while the other doesn't change very much if it's SP or co-op. ("online" RPG shouldn't really be considered a genre) Hushing people who have valid complaints about horrible server quality and account security doesn't help anything, either. This is a discussion forum and they're discussing issues with the game. I still see people complaining about call of duty in many threads every day even though CoD4 came out over 4 years ago.

Sh1ner

Just started nightmare with my level 32 monk. Wow at the jump when it comes to the big zombies doing so much damage. I died twice whilst checking out the graves for the crown, finally got a bit of a challenge.

I instantly went to the auction house bought a shuko, gems and outfitted my character.

I now do 500 dsp, 1500 armour. I am pushing monk as all dex except for shield. I can't wait to play the game on inferno as the game would be a real challenge at that point.

nasos_333

All they should do is provide an option for offline only gameplay, that is all

I would have no problem with the gameplay beeing online only if i could choose to play it offline, wihtout the right to participate in the online

Kenaras

All they should do is provide an option for offline only gameplay, that is all

I would have no problem with the gameplay beeing online only if i could choose to play it offline, wihtout the right to participate in the online

Whether or not to provide an option for offline play was a decision made years ago, and even if Blizzard wanted to reverse that decision it's far too late now. The entire game would have to be rewritten from the ground up.

Hesemonni

Banned
Just started nightmare with my level 32 monk. Wow at the jump when it comes to the big zombies doing so much damage. I died twice whilst checking out the graves for the crown, finally got a bit of a challenge.
Are you me? Getting your ass kicked by a skeleton or similar is kinda humbling. Then random elites almost one shotting you brings alot more tension in to the game. I love it!

...seriously, I'm dreading starting Inferno already and I haven't even reached the end of act II yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom