• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Spoken like somebody who hasn't checked the auction house lately for weapons.
I wasn't doubting you bro :3 I was just laughing at how sad the prices have become in this game. You mentioned a bunch of negative things about the weapon, and followed it up with a price-range between 2-4 mil! I just found that hilarious~

Kyoufu

also if any barb is using ignore pain switch it out for threatening shout instead

howaboutno.jpg

Threatening Shout isn't that good on non-boss fights, is it?

I'm tempted to switch out Furious Charge for Sprint + Dodge run though.

I wasn't doubting you bro :3 I was just laughing at how sad the prices have become in this game. You mentioned a bunch of negative things about the weapon, and followed it up with a price-range between 2-4 mil! I just found that hilarious~

Bought a 1h yesterday for 20mil. Feels bad man.

Number45

howaboutno.jpg

I'm still sticking with Leap, but I always use it in such a way that it gets me in trouble (i.e. I leap into the fight, usually trapping myself in the middle of three mobs with mortar/fire chains and no means of escape). >_<

I need to give charge another go, and walk into fights like a man.

eek5

howaboutno.jpg

I think run like the wind or gangway are better. Run like the wind can basically stack up a bunch of extra DPS for you. If you manage to surround an enemy with 3 tornadoes it feels like you're in WotB doing 2x dps.

Gangway has a similar effect to furious charge. You can break out of enemies (note: it doesn't work on some champ packs which really sucks). For large white enemies you can do a combo like sprint->move button and basically stun lock them while you attack. I have sprint on S button and move on W so I hit S->W and can break enemy charge animations pretty reliably. You don't really need to dodge enemy attacks if you just straight up cancel the attacks with a knockback. The one nice thing about sprint/gangway is it has no cooldown and you have nothing else to spend fury on so you can keep breaking out of trash mob groups over and over

Against enemies inside shout range, threatening shout actually gives you more "DR" over 30 seconds as long as you can sustain it. On the other hand, ignore pain gives you DR against ranged that are outside of shout range and if you are using ignorance is bliss and have high dps you can usually heal up with ignore pain. It's more of an oh shit skill whereas TS is something you just maintain. Both can be really good group skills if used correctly so it's kind of a situational thing. I think both could be viable.

OTIX

Spoken like somebody who hasn't checked the auction house lately for weapons. The abundance of i63 items with > 1000 dps has significantly softened the market for anything else. I have a 1050 dps, 18% atk speed hammer with no other stats that I paid 4.5m for and would not swap for that knife.

This is incorrect, the int and crit damage on that weapon makes it higher dps than yours, the rest is just gravy. Also a naturally fast weapon is better than one with IAS since IAS on your weapon slightly devalues IAS on your gear.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
howaboutno.jpg

why not the cooldown is still lower than ignore pain so no matter what u can use it more than ignore pain.

Kyoufu

why not the cooldown is still lower than ignore pain so no matter what u can use it more than ignore pain.

Does it give 65% or whatever damage reduction to lasers, molten etc too?

I think run like the wind or gangway are better. Run like the wind can basically stack up a bunch of extra DPS for you. If you manage to surround an enemy with 3 tornadoes it feels like you're in WotB doing 2x dps.

Gangway has a similar effect to furious charge. You can break out of enemies (note: it doesn't work on some champ packs which really sucks). For large white enemies you can do a combo like sprint->move button and basically stun lock them while you attack. I have sprint on S button and move on W so I hit S->W and can break enemy charge animations pretty reliably. You don't really need to dodge enemy attacks if you just straight up cancel the attacks with a knockback. The one nice thing about sprint/gangway is it has no cooldown and you have nothing else to spend fury on so you can keep breaking out of trash mob groups over and over

I'm thinking Elite packs though. White mobs aren't the problem.

This is incorrect, the int and crit damage on that weapon makes it higher dps than yours, the rest is just gravy. Also a naturally fast weapon is better than one with IAS since IAS on your weapon slightly devalues IAS on your gear.

This, I just figured this out today myself. I need to get a bunch of cash to replace my 1H for something that DOESN'T have IAS.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Actually it isn't, I've tried similar. Heck, I have a similar weapon on my Templar :). That would not be a DPS increase. You can't "devalue" the IAS on gear without hitting a softcap and since you don't know how much IAS I have you can't know if I'm hitting a softcap or not. No IAS on weap just gives you larger numbers at a slower speed. Some might mistake that for higher DPS. I don't. Depending on how damage mitigation for mobs work fewer, larger numbers could be more overall DPS but I haven't seen that to be the case.

On top of that IAS isn't just about DPS for me, it is about animation speeds. As a WD kiting things that can 1 or 2-hit me in Act 3 inferno IAS allows me to shoot and scoot. Additionally, knowing how flinch animations work I want as many darts hitting as quickly as possible. It is a Witch Doctor-only weapon, you should take that into consideration.

Lastly, who knows what IAS will be worth at the end of this month. ;)

The good news is that this disagreement means there might be somebody out there willing to pay more than I think it is worth, but we already knew that.

syllogism

If it's not better than your other weapon, it's only because your crit chance is low. I've a 972 dps one hander with no IAS, 133 dex, 166 int, 67 vit, 48% crit, socket and a 1300 dps one hander with nothing else would not be an upgrade.

eek5

I'm thinking Elite packs though. White mobs aren't the problem.

rltw is way better for elite packs than the dodge rune imo. The extra dps lets you focus down packs easily and you can use a kite strategy if there are a ton of trash mobs mixed into the elite packs to focus them down. I've found it to be great against illusionist mobs too because the tornados will sometimes just outright kill the illusions. The main problem I see with the dodge rune is it isn't guaranteed dodge and it's only in effect while you're sprinting which means you're not doing any dps or anything else. Since you don't have any knockback or anything without gangway you sometimes won't even be able to sprint out. I guess you could just activate sprint for the extra dodge but you don't generate revenge procs while dodging so I don't know if that's worth it.

Gangway sometimes works on packs but I've found it to be unreliable if you're trapped. You kind of need "start up space" to move and start the knockback.

Kyoufu

rltw is way better for elite packs than the dodge rune imo. The extra dps lets you focus down packs easily and you can use a kite strategy if there are a ton of trash mobs mixed into the elite packs to focus them down. I've found it to be great against illusionist mobs too because the tornados will sometimes just outright kill the illusions. The main problem I see with the dodge rune is it isn't guaranteed dodge and it's only in effect while you're sprinting which means you're not doing any dps or anything else. Since you don't have any knockback or anything without gangway you sometimes won't even be able to sprint out.

Gangway sometimes works on packs but I've found it to be unreliable if you're trapped. You kind of need "start up space" to move and start the knockback.

Will try it when servers come back up ^_^

What is your damage at right now? I'm at 11k or something so I can't kill anything solo :(

eek5

Will try it when servers come back up ^_^

What is your damage at right now? I'm at 11k or something so I can't kill anything solo :(

I fluctuate between 22-30k dps or something around that depending on the mobs I'm facing (I'll put strings and hp ring on against melee mobs and go higher dps against ranged low-melee enemies)

Sprint/rltw stacks really well with WotB/insanity too if your DPS is kind of low. Just wait for full fury, sprint to surround with tornadoes and then WotB then just reapply the tornadoes once or twice. It's almost.. almost as good as WotB/earthquake.

Any tips to get the achievos for beating major act bosses naked ?

I tried Azmodan naked in normal : he couldn't damage me fast enough, I was healing no problem. The issue was DPS: i quit after 10 min of boredom where I was just letting my finger on the attack button... So slooooowwwww

ring46e48.png

What a bizarro ring.

One of France's biggest consumer's union is taking action against Blizzard :

Players living hell

Diablo III was one of the most anticipated games of recent years. But since its release, May 15, 2012, the enthusiasm has given way to disappointment and anger. Problem: a lack of preparation by the publisher Blizzard Entertainment and measures to restrict the rights of players.

Never has a call for witnesses sparked that much passion. In only four days, more than 1,500 users have given their opinion on the Diablo III game via our website. The overall result could have been positive: most users said they are quite satisfied with the graphics, the story or the gameplay... if they can play at all. On the pretext to bring innovative services, the game's publisher, Blizzard Entertainment, requires its players to connect to the Internet to play Diablo III, even in single player. Problem: the editor's servers can hardly stand the simultaneous connections of tens of thousands of players. Consequently, it is not uncommon that, at rush hour, they are shown an error message indicating that the connection is impossible or that they are disconnected without warning during game, losing the last weapons and gold coins collected. "It's really annoying having to wait over 2 hours every night to finally connect to the game," laments Hugo. "Why would there not be the option to play offline? "Asks another player.

diablo-erreur-37.jpg

The infamous "Error 37" experienced by many players.

Blizzard acknowledged the facts and claims to have "made optimizations to help the infrastructure to accept the player load." But if the problems seem to become scarcer, the connection is still required. "You want to play Diablo III on your vacation? Impossible. Ditto if your ADSL connection is down, "says one player." In addition, because of latency may be too long (1), sometimes in Hardcore mode my character gets killed and I cannot do anything to avoid it, laments Romain. It is unplayable! ". Moreover, the requirement for players to authenticate the platform Battle.net, managed by Blizzard, prevents any resale of the game and creates concerns for the future. Who says indeed, that in 10 or 15 years, Blizzard will not close its servers, letting players down? A fear all the more reason that, in its general conditions, the editor states that "the game is licensed, not sold" (Article 6) and that it "undertakes to provide the servers and software necessary to access the service until the game is no longer published "(s. 11). Therefore, nothing says that players can continue their historic quest.

Security costs extra

The other big concern is piracy. Many players have discovered with alarm that their account had been visited and their characters stripped. Being forced to create an online account and authenticate to the platform Battle.net is no stranger to this situation. For its part, Blizzard assures that piracy cases are no more present in Diablo III as other games. And to fight against this phenomenon, the publisher advises its players to acquire for the modest sum of 10 € an "Authenticator", a kind of USB key for secure connection (the smartphone application is free, but less safe). Hard to swallow for players who thought rightly that the security of their account was included in the original price, or € 59.90!

Finally, last complaints: the players have since discovered a few days now that the characters spoke in Russian! Problem: an update released on Friday, June 8 by the editor, so that players who have downloaded the game with a key for the Russian market can no longer enjoy it in French. A decision all the more surprising that Blizzard had stated on its forums that the language could be changed and that some distributors have sold these keys cheaper without warning that they were intended for the Russian.

Servers overloaded with piracy cases, players are tired of being taken for cash cows. "We've been expecting this game for ten years ...and this is what we've got" Lament some of them.
Comment

Notice, comment, feedback ... join our forum for Diablo III.

The UFC-Que Choisir takes control

Given the scale of discontent, UFC-Que Choisir has decided to give notice to Blizzard, asks the publisher to compensate consumers who have suffered damage and intervenes with the DGCCRF (General Direction of Competition, Consumption and Repression of Fraud) for it to take up this record. Full details of this action in the press release from the UFC-Que Choisir.
http://www.quechoisir.org/telecom-multimedia/actualite-diablo-3-les-joueurs-vivent-l-enfer

Facing hell experienced by players, UFC-Que Choisir takes control

Since the release of Diablo 3, UFC-Que Choisir has been questioned several times by consumers reporting failures. Eager to know the real extent of the problem, the association has launched a call for witnesses. In four days only, more than 1,500 consumers have expressed their displeasure. Given the scope and facing of the objections made &#8203;&#8203;to the reluctance of the editor to respond, the association has decided to react.

The complaints of the players focuses mainly (90% of reports) on the issue of access to servers, where it is either impossible or of poor quality (which makes the game easily playable). How can we admit that Blizzard has not anticipated the success of his game, though billed as the blockbuster of the year? More importantly, the association condemns the lack of transparency of the editor who, a month after releasing the game and while dysfunctions persist, remain stingy with explanations. Given the time elapsed since the game's release and the nature of problems, the prejudice of consumers is important and the players who have suffered these inconveniences should be compensated.

But Diablo 3 is not an isolated case. Online games are now the norm and it is not just about "multiplayer". Indeed, publishers have developed measures of copy protection (DRM) that involve a permanent Internet connection. This poses several problems: the design of infrastructure and unacceptable obligation to have a connection, to the players' expense.

How can we urge consumers to log in to play alone in a country where infrastructure quality and performance is quite relative because the very high speed (via optic fiber for example) is not developed? Once again, the development of technical protection measures to the detriment of the consumer, trapped by the choice of editors. The DRM uses affect very significantly, since the consumer can enjoy this game as it sees fit (eg a friend's house, in a public place, etc..), While subject to malfunction very annoying (a power network who lost the benefit of the party) and that no consideration tariff (prices do not decline). It is unacceptable that consumers can not play a game paid between 50 and 60 euros in good conditions.

In view of these elements that emphasize that video games do not always worth the effort, the association:

• Gives Blizzard notice within 15 days to solve the various problems reported, and promptly communicate in a very transparent manner on the measures implemented to achieve this goal;
  • Also requests the publisher to compensate consumers who have suffered damage;
  • Works with the DGCCRF for it to take up this particular issue and, more broadly, a starts working on trade policy of the editors, especially on the legitimacy of technological protection measures that implies a level of quality of Internet access which is not available on the whole territory.
http://www.quechoisir.org/telecom-m...-joueurs-l-ufc-que-choisir-prend-les-manettes

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
This, I just figured this out today myself. I need to get a bunch of cash to replace my 1H for something that DOESN'T have IAS.

IAS on weapons isn't always a bad thing. Depends on your build/how you play. It just isn't always a good thing, and a lot of people don't realize that. Like if you're a wizard and you rely a lot on arcane orb for damage, you'll probably get more out of it if your weapon doesn't have a ton of IAS. But if you use piercing orb + blizzard + venom hydra, or like an archon build or something, IAS is probably good.

eek5

I tried Azmodan naked in normal : he couldn't damage me fast enough, I was healing no problem. The issue was DPS: i quit after 10 min of boredom where I was just letting my finger on the attack button... So slooooowwwww

You can get naked and have someone else kill him. I think as long as you're during the killing blow you'll get credit.

Or get your follower as high DPS as you can and pray.

scy

I feel like I should be complaining about Diablo 3 more just to fit in.

ring46e48.png

What a bizarro ring.

Quite the nice ring, honestly. As people move away from IAS% due to the fix, Crit Chance/Crit Damage will go up in value. The MF/GF is just a neat bonus.

Reminds me, I should probably replace my Wizard's Rings with 3% Crit Chance 25%+ Crit Damage ones.

@IAS% - It artificially inflates Damage for most classes. For instance, Wizard wasn't really designed with the intent of utilizing a lot of Attack Speed (no spells scale directly with it, Arcane Power limited rather than speed limited) while Witch Doctor's were clearly designed to utilize it (pets and cooldown spells scale with IAS%, Mana usage rate goes up with Attack Speed which values their +Regen affixes). It just happened that really high IAS% on a Wizard meant you can just spam signature spells all day and do better damage than higher damage per hit builds that actually used Arcane Power :x

IAS on weapons isn't always a bad thing. Depends on your build/how you play. It just isn't always a good thing, and a lot of people don't realize that. Like if you're a wizard and you rely a lot on arcane orb for damage, IAS on your weapon probably isn't doing you much good. But if you use blizzard + venom hydra, it's probably good.

I'm a WD who does main damage with Splintered Darts, pretty generic set-up and while speed is the key to the build, I feel I'm in a sweet spot with my speed while balancing crit and crit hit damage in advance of the IAS nerf.

So I'll switch my gloves (Crit damage) for IAS, and since my weapon only has 15% currently, I'll get it on gloves pretty easy and get a similar DPS (or higher) weapon with Crit damage and fast speed ... it'll probably bump my DPS quite a bit and be cheaper.

But yeah, IAS on a weapon is deceiving in most cases.

OTIX

Actually it isn't, I've tried similar. Heck, I have a similar weapon on my Templar :). That would not be a DPS increase. You can't "devalue" the IAS on gear without hitting a softcap and since you don't know how much IAS I have you can't know if I'm hitting a softcap or not. No IAS on weap just gives you larger numbers at a slower speed. Some might mistake that for higher DPS. I don't. Depending on how damage mitigation for mobs work fewer, larger numbers could be more overall DPS but I haven't seen that to be the case.

On top of that IAS isn't just about DPS for me, it is about animation speeds. As a WD kiting things that can 1 or 2-hit me in Act 3 inferno IAS allows me to shoot and scoot. Additionally, knowing how flinch animations work I want as many darts hitting as quickly as possible. It is a Witch Doctor-only weapon, you should take that into consideration.

Lastly, who knows what IAS will be worth at the end of this month. ;)

The good news is that this disagreement means there might be somebody out there willing to pay more than I think it is worth, but we already knew that.

Ok, I just tested IAS on weapons and it seems I was wrong, it does not devalue IAS on your armour because they are not added together. They are multiplied as if they were two different stats, presumably because they have different wording "Increases Attack Speed " vs "Attack Speed Increased". This might be why armour with the wrong wording isn't working, it's only supposed to be on weapons.

Nugg

I haven't tried yet, but I believe you can bring him low life with your stuff on and then get naked before the kill.

scy

But yeah, IAS on a weapon is deceiving in most cases.

Pretty much. There are skills/spells that use Weapon DPS rather than Weapon Damage but these are the ones that scale with Attack Speed anyway. IAS% isn't bad on a weapon, it's just a tad bit misleading when you look at two 1000 DPS Weapons and try to figure out which is actually better damage for your build.

Ok, I just tested IAS on weapons and it seems I was wrong, it does not devalue IAS on your armour because they are not added together. They are multiplied as if they were two different stats, presumably because they have different wording "Increases Attack Speed " vs "Attack Speed Increased". This might be why armour with the wrong wording isn't working, it's only supposed to be on weapons.

Weapon Base Attack Speed * (1 + WeaponIAS%) * (1 + All ArmorIAS%)

If you're Dual Wielding, this is done separately for each weapon (e.g., +IAS% on Main Hand does nothing for the Off-Hand) though they do have an extra +15% IAS% to put in the formula due to the Dual Wielding bonus itself.

Kyoufu

I fluctuate between 22-30k dps or something around that depending on the mobs I'm facing (I'll put strings and hp ring on against melee mobs and go higher dps against ranged low-melee enemies)

Sprint/rltw stacks really well with WotB/insanity too if your DPS is kind of low. Just wait for full fury, sprint to surround with tornadoes and then WotB then just reapply the tornadoes once or twice. It's almost.. almost as good as WotB/earthquake.

I can't have both of those though. I need War Cry. Ignore Pain, Leap and Revenge at the very least. :(

scosher

Beat Belial on Inferno last night. Have yet to attempt Act 3, but I already felt woefully undergeared for Act 2, that I'm positive I'll get crushed.

Only had 27k health, 5200 armor (w/ force armor), 250 resists, and 15k unbuffed dps.

What's the best farming spot to prepare for Act 3? I'm guessing ZK runs since his three dungeons before him are not too bad for a wizard? But then I'd dread having to kill Belial again each run, when Butcher runs are so much more painless.

Beat Belial on Inferno last night. Have yet to attempt Act 3, but I already felt woefully undergeared for Act 2, that I'm positive I'll get crushed.

Only had 27k health, 5200 armor (w/ force armor), 250 resists, and 15k unbuffed dps.

What's the best farming spot to prepare for Act 3? I'm guessing ZK runs since his three dungeons before him are not too bad for a wizard? But then I'd dread having to kill Belial again each run, when Butcher runs are so much more painless.

gob farming

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan

The loot tables for act 1 and 2 are similar (the same?) so you're probably better off just doing butcher runs.

Or run the ancient path goblin.

eek5

The loot tables for act 1 and 2 are similar (the same?) so you're probably better off just doing butcher runs.

a2 can drop iL62 stuff which can be quite good if you get awesome rolls

Hell, half the gear I have for my barb is only high rolled iL62

scosher

Oh they are? I thought act 1 couldn't drop ilvl 62 items while act 2 could. I'll probably just go back to doing butcher runs, or as you suggest, goblin farming.

scy

Act 1 is ilvl 61 max, Act 2 is ilvl 62 max, and Acts 3 and 4 are ilvl 63 max. That'll change with 1.0.3.

That said, most Armor, Rings, Amulets, etc. are still good at ilvl 61 so Act 1 runs are still potentially profitable if you can clear it much faster than Act 2 runs. Plus, you don't have to deal with Act 2.

chessnut

Can anyone explain how this is possible?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=LU27ymSWY_8

WD one shots Inferno butcher with 2.88 million damage.

Based on my limited WD experience, I'm assuming this is his build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#VYjdQk!dVW!caYYbY

130x5 int bonus from soul harvest
15% from zombie dog sacrifice
he said he has 270% crit damage
and he used zombie tower that does 765% weapon damage

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5753737674

scy

How can you know what iL an item is?

Item type. Doom (ilvl 61) vs Sovereign (ilvl 62) vs Archon (ilvl 63) for Chests, for instance. Weapons are a lot easier since they all have different models like Saif (ilvl 61) vs Conquest Sword (ilvl 62) vs Rune Sword (ilvl 63).

I believe a future patch (1.0.3 maybe?) will just have the ilvl on the items.

Edit: Just to clarify, Armor has different models as well but it also varies class to class. Though, I guess that's only an issue if you have multiple 60s you switch between often.

panty

Banhammer time,

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4552181352

We recently issued a round of account suspensions and bans to several thousand Diablo® III players who were in violation of the Battle.net® Terms of Use for cheating and/or using botting or hacking programs while playing. In addition to undermining the spirit of fair play that&#8217;s essential to everyone&#8217;s enjoyment of the game, botting, hacking, and other such exploitive behavior can contribute to stability and performance issues with the Battle.net service.
As always, maintaining a stable, safe, and fun online-gaming experience for legitimate players is a top priority for us, and we'll be continuing to keep watch on Battle.net and take action as needed.

hobart

Yeah. Default settings they had me on were High Texture, Medium Shadows, High Physics, High Clutter Density, and Anti-Aliasing on. It's running at 1440 x 900. I was also running it in full screen windowed mode so I could swipe over to a message board quickly if I wanted, and the swiping and switching worked a lot quicker than I had anticipated.

Windowed mode is the way to go, I think. I'd love to play on OSX... but after about 5 minutes I start getting a stuttering issue that has been prevalent ever since beta. Maddening. It's hard having such a high end machine react so poorly to this game. I wish to play it on higher settings on native OSX... but no go. Really, really unlike Blizzard to fail so mightily on their OSX ports. Shame.

Mitama

Awww man, my helm is ilvl 63? Fuck that, I always figured I'd replace it with a better one later on (higher ilvl) since I really dislike the look. Makes my char look like a bird. :(

eek5

Awww man, my helm is ilvl 63? Fuck that, I always figured I'd replace it with a better one later on (higher ilvl) since I really dislike the look. Makes my char look like a bird. :(

Heh.. my favorite helm for barb is iL61 :( At least you can use vanishing dye!

RDreamer

Windowed mode is the way to go, I think. I'd love to play on OSX... but after about 5 minutes I start getting a stuttering issue that has been prevalent ever since beta. Maddening. It's hard having such a high end machine react so poorly to this game. I wish to play it on higher settings on native OSX... but no go. Really, really unlike Blizzard to fail so mightily on their OSX ports. Shame.

I ran it in regular full screen mode for a bit and it was just fine. If anything flipping back and forth between other things and the game should be more resource intensive I would think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom