• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replace Mantra of healing with Evasion with Hard Target. That way, every time you heal, you get the transcendence bonus, you get higher evasion, and you get 20% extra armor for the duration of the mantra.

Also, I would take off Lashing Tail Kick and put on Explosive Palm with Essence Burn if you have that. Explosive Palm with Essence Burn is the most useful ability you can have in Hell.

I would also switch your generator for Crippling wave with Concussion, or with Breaking Wave. Breaking wave is especially useful because you can set off explosive palm chain reactions faster with the extra damage.

I personally would use Dashing Strike with Quicksilver over Wave of Light, mostly because you get better agility in a fight, especially with molten/plagued/desecrator mobs. Also, dashing strike is the only defense against jailers for Monks.

Not a problem!

Also remember, that if you use dashing strike WHILE a frozen orb explodes, you'll escape its effects. This is why I use quicksilver. You bring down the cost of dashing strike so it's not dominating your mana pool, and you don't have to pop serenity every time you get frozen.

When using explosive palm with essence burn, always make sure you use it on the weakest mob in a group. Their explosion will be quicker, and you're more likely to cause a chain reaction that whittles health down on stronger mobs caught in successive blasts.

I also play a Monk as my main and this is great advice but I'm confused about the ability names. I don't see anything called Explosive Palm, Essence Burn, Dashing Strike, or Quicksilver. I'm guessing Dashing Strike is Tempest Rush?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I also play a Monk as my main and this is great advice but I'm confused about the ability names. I don't see anything called Explosive Palm, Essence Burn, Dashing Strike, or Quicksilver. I'm guessing Dashing Strike is Tempest Rush?

Dashing Strike is your dashing ability to go from enemy to enemy (the icon is a man about to start running). What level are you? A lot of these abilities won't unlock until you're higher level.

Explosive Palm's Essence Burn rune doesn't unlock until 55. Explosive palm itself is the picture of a palm with an aura around it.

Dashing Strike is your dashing ability to go from enemy to enemy (the icon is a man about to start running). What level are you? A lot of these abilities won't unlock until you're higher level.

Explosive Palm with essence burn don't unlock until 55.

lol I'm 60 and I guess I'm overlooking it because I'm not seeing anything called Dashing Strike.

Sh1ner

I caved, I bought the game direct from Blizzard. I have had a shitty long day and I am now installing the game...

So I have played a bit of diablo 2... I don't know what to really expect part from the obvious bits. I dunno if I am going to love this game as the rest of you but I am definitely going to give it a go.

Now for the important question, how bad are the servers today? I am in the UK.

Bone Doctor

Neo Member
He put his what where?
I fixed the picture in my post. It had me laughing for 10 minutes.
cvfvC.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
lol I'm 60 and I guess I'm overlooking it because I'm not seeing anything called Dashing Strike.

Dashing Strike and Explosive Palm are both under Techniques, next to Sweeping Wind.

Dashing Strike and Explosive Palm are both under Techniques.

I'm not actually in game right now so I'm basing everything I see on the link that other person gave that you advised on. The one with a picture of a fist and aura is called Fists of Thunder though. Or maybe it's Way of the Hundred Fists because they both have fists with auras.

Finally finished my solo normal run last night. Holy crap is NM a thousand times more fun. They really need to rename normal mode to "tutorial mode" It cannot be said enough, the game doesn't even start till you hit NM.

I now actually have to think about my build, and even the efficiency of my key mapping. I moved 2-4 to ASD since it is way more comfortable when holding shift for my DH. I also made a macro for an extra mouse button that throws down a Marked for Death - Valley of Death circle and throws three spiked bombs right into the middle of the circle. Great opening attack/macro for rolling up on groups.

thetrin

lol I'm so stupid and never noticed the arrows on the sides. -_-

I was so confused there.

Do you have elective mode on? You're missing out on a lot of builds if you don't.

Do you have elective mode on? You're missing out on a lot of builds if you don't.

Yeah, but I've only used to it to be able to use Breath of Heaven along with Serenity. I got to a point where I was very bored playing as the Monk so I stopped caring. I just continued to get to 60 and finish Hell.

thetrin

Yeah, but I've only used to it to be able to use Breath of Heaven along with Serenity. I got to a point where I was very bored playing as the Monk so I stopped caring. I just continued to get to 60 and finish Hell.

You should go back and try the build I mentioned. Monk can be insanely fun if you use the right abilities.

Breath of Heaven is definitely worth taking out of your build completely.

Number45

I don't know. He just said "They've just sent me an e-mail telling me I'd get a refund. And I'm sure I've read something about refund policy in the EULA. Also, they can write whatever they want in the EULA, French law gives you a time frame to get a refund for most of your purchases anyway. "

Google-translated version:
Ah, that makes sense if he's within the initial period. Seems like a shame though, the game is so much better even in NM than Normal. :/

Act 2 Belial is ridiculous on Nightmare.

I can't beat him. I'm going to just ask a higher level friend to do it for me.
What class? I did this last night (Barb) without any real trouble and I'm FAR from overgeared.

I just tried putting an item on the AH... It said it failed, so then I look in my inventory and the item is gone.

Am I fucked?
Happened to me as well...

It says I'm selling 8 and I count 10. Maybe it's in the ah. I don't remember which ones I put up that failed.

You should go back and try the build I mentioned. Monk can be insanely fun if you use the right abilities.

Breath of Heaven is definitely worth taking out of your build completely.

I'm definitely going to try that build but I also need to first get money to buy better equipment. Last time I upgraded anything was in my later 40's, I think, and my DPS is a little over 4K, haha. I was noticing the healing from Breath of Heaven wasn't helping much anymore but as I said I didn't care and wanted to be done with the character.

I think part of it is I hate how I feel like a Barbarian with a shield and standard melee weapon. I'd like to "play the part" better and use two fist weapons but apparently duel wielding is as viable.

thetrin

What difficulty are you on? I don't think I could survive hell without healing mantra and one with everything. ..

Act IV Hell. Mantra of Healing is more broken than you may think. The effect from the first 3 seconds is not working atm. You're not getting that extra regen.

kyubajin

Almost done with Act IV Nighmare with my WD and FINALLY managed to get a decent weapon + square ruby = 190 DPS up from the measly 60 something I was using... Also 14k HP is looking pretty good so far. I know these stats are cringeworthy come Hell but I'm having a blast atm :)

Here's my current build. I tend to switch skills a lot as I'm still experimenting, any advice will be gladly welcome! Here's my build explanation:

Poison Dart [Splinters] - simply put the best single target mana-less nuke for the WD.
Acid Cloud [Kiss of Death] - I've experimented with Bats, Locust and Frogs but nothing tops this for me, in the satisfaction department at least. Also, I can cast 3-4 blasts before becoming mana deprived.

Mass Confusion [Paranoia] - my only CC skill, it greatly improves my DPS while allowing me to bail out from scary situations.
Soul Harvest [Siphon] - the best WD skill there is, 5 charges means I'd be tearing apart the trash and helping me a lot while dealing with elites/champs. The healing from Siphon is crucial as I endanger myself in order to get the 5 charges.
Big Bad Voodoo [Slam Dance] - Even further DPS increase, in combination with Soul Harvest and Mass Confusion I almost cuadruple my DPS output.
Fetish Army [Fetish Ambush] - This is my WTF skill, the initial damage while summoning destroys most trash mobs and severely injures some champs/elites, the army also serves as meat shield for bosses and other dangerous encounters.

Jungle Fortitude - I really need some damage mitigation as I don't use the Gargantuan or dogs anymore and the Templar goes only so far.
Bad Medicine - More damage mitigation and perfect for my Poison Dart/Acid Could combo
Pierce the Veil - Even further DPS increase.

I tend to switch out Mass Confusion and BBV for Hex and Spirit Walk from time to time to change the pace a bit. So WDGAF, any suggestions?

branny

WizardGAF, is Desintegrate a viable skill for Inferno at all? Trying to figure out whether or not it's a good idea for me to push my wiz to 60 before the DH and i'm sitting on the fence...
It's channeled, so no. Some people have tried to make it work, but currently kiting is the best thing to do. That said, your Wizard will probably have an easier time than your DH.

The Chef

So I just began Act II but I saw my friend was playing in Act I so I joined him for a bit. When he was done I left the game and was confused that when I clicked Resume Game it brought me to where I was doing coop.

I went to Quests and Selected Act II and it says "Warning: Selecting a new Quest will overwrite your current progress"

This freaked me the hell out so I clicked Cancel. How do I get back to my Act II playthrough?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#WVgdhY!cYX!ccabac

Mantra of Evasion with Transcendence is my main healing ability. I have serenity still for my oh shit button or breaking stun/freeze.

My only question about your build Thetrin, is how do you manage your spirit? Do you have spirit per second on your equips? Because I tried your build and my only spirit per second is from the templar's final skill (oh and chant of resonance). I'm having trouble keeping it up. I went back to Mantra of Healing with Sustenance and aside from that one difference, your build is going pretty awesome. Thanks!

greepoman

Lol Kungen nearly died. Down to 1 hp because he forget to switch out his MF gear.

I saw that too, was hilarious. I thought...why does he look naked. Guess he does invisible ink so he can tell when he has MF gear on? Lot of good that did lol.

Were you watching the the mage he was playing with died? What happened?

thetrin

My only question about your build Thetrin, is how do you manage your spirit? Do you have spirit per second on your equips? Because I tried your build and my only spirit per second is from the templar's final skill. I'm having trouble keeping it up. I went back to Mantra of Healing with Sustenance and aside from that one difference, your build is going pretty awesome. Thanks!

I'm getting all my spirit from my generator, or from Chant of Resonance. If you're using essence burn, the only spirit you're spending is the initial exploding palm. From there, the chain reaction is sustained by your generator. I always end those encounters with full health and spirit.

For elites, I'm using blinding flash followed by crippling wave, and then essence burn when they get low. I'm not afraid to pop my serenity when things get wacky.

hi i finally have some armour with a socket in it - i found a chipped ruby - before i place it in there can i remove it when i get a better jewel or is that jewel forever tied to that armour?

aristotle

So I just began Act II but I saw my friend was playing in Act I so I joined him for a bit. When he was done I left the game and was confused that when I clicked Resume Game it brought me to where I was doing coop.

I went to Quests and Selected Act II and it says "Warning: Selecting a new Quest will overwrite your current progress"

This freaked me the hell out so I clicked Cancel. How do I get back to my Act II playthrough?

Don't hit cancel next time. You may lose some progress, but that's it.

kyubajin

hi i finally have some armour with a socket in it - i found a chipped ruby - before i place it in there can i remove it when i get a better jewel or is that jewel forever tied to that armour?
Jeweler removes gems for a price and you get to keep both the item and the gem.

Yes for a fee from the jeweler. It seems the better gem you remove, the more expensive the fee.

Edit: Beaten. I actually like the gem market shut down. Makes my jeweler useful.

Edit2: Keep an eye out for low cost gear in the AH with gems still in the slots. I missed out by a second to grab an awesome armor with two emerald squares in it for like 1200g.

cheers thanks guys. So its not like torchlight then when you only get to keep one or the other..

BTW exploding palm on the monk - im really not sure i see it doing anything - is it worthwhile?

Violet_0

Banned
so, as a act 2 inferno monk, is it really true that you can't survive normal mobs without serenity spam and hit & run, no matter what gear your have? 320 res (a bit low still), 8000 armor, 38k health, 45% dodge and I still go down in seconds.

we don't even have a high cooldown/damage ability.

thetrin

cheers thanks guys. So its not like torchlight then when you only get to keep one or the other..

BTW exploding palm on the monk - im really not sure i see it doing anything - is it worthwhile?

It's not super useful until essence burn. Once you get essence burn at 55, it's fucking AMAZING.

Jedi2016

Act IV Hell. Mantra of Healing is more broken than you may think. The effect from the first 3 seconds is not working atm. You're not getting that extra regen.
They nerfed the shit out of this, pending a total overhaul of the skill. Apparently, it was super-broken the other way before, where monks were nigh-unkillable. They recommend that people not even bother using it until they do the overhaul.

thetrin

They nerfed the shit out of this, pending a total overhaul of the skill. Apparently, it was super-broken the other way before, where monks were nigh-unkillable. They recommend that people not even bother using it until they do the overhaul.

They nerfed Boon of Protection into obsolescence. The Mantra of Healing bug isn't supposed to be part of the nerfs.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay so act 3 on inferno just doesn't work apparently. Tried duo with a DH and solo, champions still demolishes me/us.

Kyoufu

Okay so act 3 on inferno just doesn't work apparently. Tried duo with a DH and solo, champions still demolishes me/us.

I almost killed an elite but it enraged :(

If my DPS was higher I would have killed it np. Try Core of Arreat waypoint until you get a killable elite.

Atrophis

I saw that too, was hilarious. I thought...why does he look naked. Guess he does invisible ink so he can tell when he has MF gear on? Lot of good that did lol.

Were you watching the the mage he was playing with died? What happened?

Didnt see it, sorry. I dont watch him that often.

Boof

I'm stuck in the same place. Frustrating to say the least. I could grind other Acts for hours but it would just turn into a mindless money grind to buy gear on the AH that was obtained by people using broken skills and mechanics to farm Act 4. I'm gonna just step away for a while and see what blizzard does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom