• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordCanti

Buying waypoints? Wtf?

It's a game. Right now, stuck on Act 2's boss in Inferno, it isn't fun. If I can spend a little gold to make it fun again, I'm doing it. Fun being the goal.

If anyone is kind enough to help me get the waypoints/checkpoints without me having to give them gold, then all the better. The same goes for if anyone thinks they can tank Act 2's boss in Inferno, otherwise known as "the old fashioned way".

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I had no clue... I knew it was nerfed, but not broken.

How do you keep yourself healed then? You say you don't spend much spirit, so you wouldn't be getting healed much with transcendence.

Do you have a lot of resist all gear? My resistances would be too low without it to have that little healing
Edit: without One with Everything I mean.

Actually, for the last half of Act IV Hell I put in One With Everything, and switched out Chant of Resonance.

I still use Mantra of Evasion for my healing, though sometimes I switch in Mantra of Healing with Circular Breathing.

Anustart

If Blizzard really wanted to prevent hacking, it would be mandatory.

Make it a Windows app or ship it with new copies.

I could imagine the hate blizzard would get if they required an authenticator. Most people can't be bothered to create good passwords, let alone another password they'd have to enter every so often.

naib

I should really get on that authenticator thing shouldn't I.
Yes.

Fuckin asshats.

A coworker called me last night. Mentioned he messaged me on D3. I wasn't online all day.

I think he may have spooked them. All they got was my WD's gear. Didn't touch my other characters and I didn't have much gold. I have an authenticator now but I've also got two asshats on my recent players list that I've never played with. Mules I guess? I should report them as I've never even played a public game.

I'm thinking we may not see the RMAH for some time. Just seems like bad news.

I feel so dirty.

scy

No, no! That's not crawling! You're doing it all wrong!

Before you know it you're gonna be bashing your head against the keyboard with all the rest of these poor bastards.

Beating everything in one run is basically how I do all my characters though :(

Inferno for all my alts today oh boy

Instro

The mobile auths are free. There's also a free authentication program for Windows called winauth, it's unofficial but open source.

Speaking of winauth, how does that work exactly? I mean, by using it will it show on my battlenet account that I have an authenticator?

Unicorn

Yes.

Fuckin asshats.

A coworker called me last night. Mentioned he messaged me on D3. I wasn't online all day.

I think he may have spooked them. All they got was my WD's gear. Didn't touch my other characters and I didn't have much gold. I have an authenticator now but I've also got two asshats on my recent players list that I've never played with. Mules I guess? I should report them as I've never even played a public game.

I feel so dirty.

We need some detective work going. Find out who is involved in this chain of dick-baggery.

Rokam

Yes.

Fuckin asshats.

I feel so dirty.

More than likely you won't be able to use the RMAH without an authenticator. WoW already has an option where people without authenticators can't access the guild bank.

More than likely you won't be able to use the RMAH without an authenticator. WoW already has an option where people without authenticators can't access the guild bank.

Yeah, I can definitely see this happening. I bet you're right.

(Not that it will solve anything, mind you)

Kaper

Anyone wish to trade me a 1h weapon with ~1k dps for this polearm?

clujq.jpg

Instro

In fact, according to my ticket, if you have been compromised once you cannot access RMAH without an authenticator. Two compromises and you are locked out from RMAH for good.

As you said though, they should probably just make the authenticator requirement universal for RMAH.

Blizzard has had Authenticators for years now.

I would imagine most people getting hacked never needed one until now. Blaming the person for not having an authenticator is silly, particularly when the options for it are not that great.

Okay, I'm sorry.

I didn't know I would have some person come on to my D3 account without proper use of a authenticator which I had no clue even existed.

Ignorance amirite?
It's not your fault. They should really advertise it better to get people to use it. In WoW they would give you a free pet for adding it to your acct.

forrest

formerly nacire
Followers just end up pissing me off more than actually making me feel like they help. More time than not they continue to pull champion/rare pack aggro when I trying to be careful.
LLShC.gif

Alex

We need some detective work going. Find out who is involved in this chain of dick-baggery.

China, mostly. :p It's not exactly some small, shady group you're going to be tracking down and exposing. It's the same scene it's been for ages.

Gold selling/account trading is a multi-billion dollar industry, and Blizzards titles are a large bulk of it I'd imagine. It's new age credit card theft, big bucks, little to no repercussions.

People who don't want to download/buy an auth are better off just not playing Blizzard games, because at some point you will trip up and someone will get an exploit off you, log your information and that'll be that.

This has been happening for years at the same frequency in World of Warcraft. While there's not much you can do to defend against it, it is Blizzard's fault for new responses of confusion when they're not properly educating new customers about the issues with this, especially for an online, item driven game.

ttocs

That's so true. If you are going to play a Blizzard game, you must have an authenticator. It's not a question of if, but when without one. Happened to me in WoW years ago and it took that to make me finally break down and get it. Learn from others mistakes and just get one.

It seriously amazes me that Blizzard still does not include authenticators with new games, or at the very least educate the player about their availability during installation. We already know they sink tons of money into these character restores...that's one of the reasons they started the program in the first place. I guess they don't want to scare new people away, or make their DRM seem not quite so bad...? I just don't get it. It's pretty shady.

Honestly, for every person who comes in here with a "wtf authenticator?" moment, I put the burden of responsibility on Blizzard, not the player.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I would imagine most people getting hacked never needed one until now. Blaming the person for not having an authenticator is silly, particularly when the options for it are not that great.

Untrue. Unless you never read the news, or know nothing about World of Warcraft, there's no reason for you not to have an authenticator. WoW accounts have been getting hijacked for years. This is nothing new.

Honestly, guys. Battle.net accounts being hacked is seriously not news at all. This has been happening for years now. How did you guys not know about it?

China, mostly. :p It's not exactly some small, shady group you're going to be tracking down and exposing. It's the same scene it's been for ages.

Gold selling/account trading is a multi-billion dollar industry, and Blizzards titles are a large bulk of it I'd imagine. It's new age credit card theft, big bucks, little to no repercussions.

People who don't want to download/buy an auth are better off just not playing Blizzard games, because at some point you will trip up and someone will get an exploit off you, log your information and that'll be that.

This has been happening for years at the same frequency in World of Warcraft. While there's not much you can do to defend against it, it is Blizzard's fault for new responses of confusion when they're not properly educating new customers about the issues with this, especially for an online, item driven game.

It then becomes the consumer's fault when they refuse to attach an authenticator after all this news of hacking.

Won

It seriously amazes me that Blizzard still does not include authenticators with new games, or at the very least educate the player about their availability during installation. We already know they sink tons of money into these character restores...that's one of the reasons they started the program in the first place. I guess they don't want to scare new people away, or make their DRM seem not quite so bad...? I just don't get it. It's pretty shady.

Honestly, for every person who comes in here with a "wtf authenticator?" moment, I put the burden of responsibility on Blizzard, not the player.

Has probably more to do that they don't produce them themselves and are limited on how many can be ordered.

Do you guys set your authenticator settings tO spit out a code everytime u log on or is it random?

Heck no, it was so annoying back when it was mandatory. It works the same way Steam shield does; you can't login from a new location/system without authenticating. It's perfectly safe.

Czigga

although from what I've read on this thread most people make a conscious decision to not use it for one reason or another, ie they think theyre so computer literate it won't happen to them and blame blizzard when it does. which is just stupid IMO

although from what I've read on this thread most people make a conscious decision to not use it for one reason or another, ie they think theyre so computer literate it won't happen to them and blame blizzard when it does. which is just stupid IMO

Yeah, that's why I'm specifically referring to those people who have never heard of it and probably don't even pop into this thread until it's too late. Not everybody follows WoW or knows what the word means. If you make a conscious choice not to use it...well. That is some fucking great hubris you have on there.

thetrin

Yeah, that's why I'm specifically referring to those people who have never heard of it and probably don't even pop into this thread until it's too late. Not everybody follows WoW or knows what the word means. If you make a conscious choice not to use it...well. That is some fucking hubris you have on there.

I guess I can't imagine how you can be on GAF, and not know. Even if you never play WoW, the news must have passed by your eyes at some point. Blizzard also isn't the only company using authenticators.

spirity

Untrue. Unless you never read the news, or know nothing about World of Warcraft, there's no reason for you not to have an authenticator. WoW accounts have been getting hijacked for years. This is nothing new.

Honestly, guys. Battle.net accounts being hacked is seriously not news at all. This has been happening for years now. How did you guys not know about it?

Because lots of people aren't interested in MMOs or what happens to them.

A lot of the time its innocence, not ignorance.

scy

It's a $6.50 purchase for the US, a smartphone, any kind of phone (when the dial-in one works, anyway), or, if you're savvier, emulating the Android OS on your PC and running it there. I'd say it's rarer to not fit one of the categories for availability.

It still sucks that it's essentially a requirement, mind you, but the options available aren't that bad.

I guess I can't imagine how you can be on GAF, and not know. Even if you never play WoW, the news must have passed by your eyes at some point. Blizzard also isn't the only company using authenticators.

eh, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt when it's even remotely appropriate to do so. I can't relate as I do follow WoW and I've had an authenticator for years....and I surf gaf obsessively. Of course I knew the risk going in. But not everybody does.

It then becomes the consumer's fault when they refuse to attach an authenticator after all this news of hacking.

Because I don't play Blizzard games asshat. (WoW, SC, etc)

--

Because lots of people aren't interested in MMOs or what happens to them.

A lot of the time its innocence, not ignorance.

Thank you sir, a billion times this.

la_briola

It's a $6.50 purchase for the US, a smartphone, any kind of phone (when the dial-in one works, anyway), or, if you're savvier, emulating the Android OS on your PC and running it there. I'd say it's rarer to not fit one of the categories for availability.

It still sucks that it's essentially a requirement, mind you, but the options available aren't that bad.

before using the android emulator, you could just use https://code.google.com/p/winauth/

Czigga

Yeah, that's why I'm specifically referring to those people who have never heard of it and probably don't even pop into this thread until it's too late. Not everybody follows WoW or knows what the word means. If you make a conscious choice not to use it...well. That is some fucking hubris you have on there.

yeah, I mean including an auth in the box is def something they could consider. or at least like a coupon or something for people who have a smartphone (who doesn't these days anyway). overall though I think it's mainly stupid people who think they're smart.

I was one of them on wow and didn't bother with an authenticator... then of course I got hacked. didn't blame blizzard though. they rolled back my char and i got everything back. dunno why people are so up in arms about it, they are literally doing everything they can to minimize the risk of getting -accts hacked. just get an authenticator ffs

Instro

Untrue. WoW accounts get hacked ALL THE TIME. Do you guys just not read the news or something?

I don't play the game, nor do I follow it. "Hearing" about Wow/Battlenet accounts being hacked is like "hearing" about Steam accounts or various other accounts getting hacked. No one would know that the former is apparently incredibly rampant unless they were playing that game. I have never had such a problem to begin with so why would I assume to have one prior to playing Diablo 3. Perhaps I should have assumed that Diablo 3 would have security holes allowing people to hack my account even though there are no keyloggers on my computer.

scy

Blizzard also isn't the only company using authenticators.

Which gets overlooked a lot, really. It's really not a case of "Blizzard security am sad so shitty omg." MMO and other online games are so prone to hacking just due to the value tied to accounts/items/currency/etc.

I don't blame people for not knowing about the authenticator, though. I mean, outside of this, general password protection (e.g., "123456" is not a secure password~) works for the most part. I'd rather have this method than some of the half-assed two-factor authentications used (my bank used the shittiest one for a long time).

before using the android emulator, you could just use https://code.google.com/p/winauth/

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting WinAuth.

spirity

Its not unreasonable to assume people think Blizzard is there to protect them from this sort of thing happening. It's interesting how, over the years, the responsibility of protecting your account is slipping away from Blizzard and the onus is more and more on the end user.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Does that really pay off ? I'm currently "farming" at Leoric's Residence where you can usually kill 1-2 mobs within 5 minutes.
Barely worth it, but fun with friends :)

Its not unreasonable to assume people think Blizzard is there to protect them from this sort of thing happening. It's interesting how, over the years, the responsibility of protecting your account is slipping away from Blizzard and the onus is more and more on the end user.

I can't imagine Blizzard is terribly happy with that transition, either. Hackers have become an indelible stain on their image. I wouldn't be surprised if the word immediately sprang to my mind in a free association exercise. But I appreciate that at some point they came to grips with reality and accepted that there's no way they can satisfactorily address the problem from their end.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm very new at this...is it really worth paying to level up the artisan/blacksmith guy? I spent a bit already and these new items aren't very impressive. Is putting money into him really necessary for the good stuff or not really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom