• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very new at this...is it really worth paying to level up the artisan/blacksmith guy? I spent a bit already and these new items aren't very impressive. Is putting money into him really necessary for the good stuff or not really?

Don't bother. The AH has made the blacksmith worthless. Do bother with the Jeweler though.

Ended up soloing most of act 2 inferno... it's actually much easier to not have to deal with the extra damage and especially the extra HP when the dps isn't being made up for because of other classes playing more tank-like roles. I died a couple of times, sure, but overall it was much smoother than in a group (of friends, too, not public). Killed almost every champion/unique, had to skip one that was fast on an already fast mob, and another with invulnerable minions, but fuck those guys.

Belial was actually a bit of a roadblock, at first, couldn't get out of P2 =( Then I bought some cheap vit gear for my templar to give him almost 100k HP (from 30k, lol) so he could take a few more hits and leave me more time to pew pew and P2 turned easy. Then one shot P3 and gg. On to act 3!

Dartastic

Don't bother. The AH has made the blacksmith worthless. Do bother with the Jeweler though.
I've been leveling up the blacksmith like whoa. Oh well. I should have saved my gold. I also need to level up my witch doctor's equipment right now. I'm a level 40 and i'm on act 2 of nightmare. I kinda wanna try out another class already. :/

spirity

I'm very new at this...is it really worth paying to level up the artisan/blacksmith guy? I spent a bit already and these new items aren't very impressive. Is putting money into him really necessary for the good stuff or not really?

People will tell you to just use the AH. And, as much as I dislike it, I tend to agree. Blacksmithing just isn't worth it.

Hey Demon Hunters in Inferno, lets do a stat check so I know how far off I am from being better. I have about 21K DPS and 37K HP. This is without any boosts. Don't add boosts into your numbers.

zlatko

Banned
People will tell you to just use the AH. And, as much as I dislike it, I tend to agree. Blacksmithing just isn't worth it.

While I agree the bsmith isn't worth it right now, I foresee Blizzard adding equipment sets and other shit for him to craft that is good via patches.

My semi completionist self just can't stand to not have his ass be max level.

scy

How does dual wield work? Seems like my dps drops when I trade in the shield.

The only DPS Increase you see from Dual Wield is due to the +15% Attack Speed increase (well, and the +Stats on the Weapon). Basically, the game alternates your swings between the two weapons (Main Hand weapon then Off-Hand weapon then Main hand etc.). What this boils down to is that, when Dual Wielding, the delay of your Off-Hand is added to your Main Hand. So, if your Off-Hand weapon is bad enough then you'll lose damage in the long run.

In theory, your Off-Hand needs to be around 70% the DPS of your Main Hand to not lose damage. In practice, you'll want around 80% or greater. Personally, anything below "practically identical" isn't really worth it UNLESS your build needs the extra attacks for Spirit/Hatred generation.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Followers just end up pissing me off more than actually making me feel like they help. More time than not they continue to pull champion/rare pack aggro when I trying to be careful.
LLShC.gif
Good lord no.

hwcwY.jpg

Blair

Banned
Sheeeit i hate it when i see an amazing item for cheap and it gets nabbed, saw a 750dps 1hander for like 70k with amazing stats and it gets pinched. Whoever got that must of punched themselves in the dick with joy.

scy

Followers just end up pissing me off more than actually making me feel like they help. More time than not they continue to pull champion/rare pack aggro when I trying to be careful.
LLShC.gif

My Scoundrel is in Inferno vendor blues with DEX and Attack Speed and has nearly 4k DPS. The +3% Crit helps my Monk survive too :x

Totakeke

Hey Demon Hunters in Inferno, lets do a stat check so I know how far off I am from being better. I have about 21K DPS and 37K HP. This is without any boosts. Don't add boosts into your numbers.

I finished act 1 with 13k dps and 22k hp with stats in crit. You should be farming act 1 easy with those stats.

Ploid 3.0

I bought a pair of gloves that had 128 int and 17% attack speed for 77k then sold it for 300k. I do a lot of that. one of the easiest ways I make money.

Petrie

Banned
Blah. Cannot bet the thing to unlock the Inferno to work where you join a pub game then go back to your own. Really wanted it. Oh well. Stupid thing.

purg3

slept with Malkin
just finished the game on Nightmare, still pretty easy overall only died twice. Once due to lag and the other a missed timed SS against the final boss....

My end of Nightmare stats

ON TO HELL!

GAF, I could use some serious help. I'm a Wizard and I have no idea how/where I'm supposed to farm to get the millions of gold I need to progress in Act II Inferno. I had to cheese some of the elites in Act I to even get here, so I probably wasn't geared enough for that to start. Butcher is a bitch and not farmable for me. I can farm Skeleton King but I'm not sure if that's even worth it. Should I go back to Hell? And if so where should I farm?

Here are my stats (w/ Force Armor and Force Weapon applied):

p2OyE.jpg

EdwJs.jpg

Any help would be appreciated...

LordCanti

good god what is with the low HP. And Totakeke what is with the low DPS. I have the same DPS and more than double. Vit + attack speed rings are best rings.

I could double that vita and still get two shot. If I double that vita and got all resistance gear (we're talking millions of coins at this point) I could take maybe three or four.

It's better to just not get hit.

I could double that vita and still get two shot. If I double that vita and got all resistance gear (we're talking millions of coins at this point) I could take maybe three or four.

It's better to just not get hit.
yeah but the idea of getting 2 shotted on even lesser enemies than elites scares me too much. I'd get frustrated too fast.

Especially now that they nerfed smokescreen.

Blacksmith would be better if the items crafted had at least one guaranteed stat.

As is, you're paying for loot drops which are free and just as likely to be good

eek5

I know that feel.

I thought I was getting undercut bad so I checked the AH for my item and it's just not there lol. All 5 of them are underpriced by over 100k too. Seems to happen every time the AH goes down and comes back up.. They should just cancel those auctions or something. smh

So I found a Rare ring with some int, vit, a socket and +37 resistance to all elements. I was going to sell it, but all rings with similar stats are going for 500,000 or more. Why? I also have a Magic bracer with high Vitality and +59 resistance to all elements. I haven't checked, but I assume it also carries high value.

Is Resist just that good? Should I just keep them both?

So I found a Rare ring with some int, vit, a socket and +37 resistance to all elements. I was going to sell it, but all rings with similar stats are going for 500,000 or more. Why? I also have a Magic bracer with high Vitality and +59 resistance to all elements. I haven't checked, but I assume it also carries high value.

Resist seems to be necessary in Inferno. :(

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Friendly reminder:
Code:
Normal
# Players        HP%    Damage%
1                100%   100%
2                175%   100%
3                250%   100%
4                325%   100%

Nightmare
2                185%   105%
3                270%   110%
4                355%   115%

Hell
2                195%   110%
3                290%   120%
4                385%   130%

Inferno
2                210%   115%
3                320%   130%
4                430%   145%

Resists is everything mang.

Totakeke

Vit/armor benefit ratio depends on your current stats. I have like 2.5k armor and 22k hp so the benefit is like 8 armor to 1 vit I think. For resist all vs. armor it's like 10 armor to 1 resist. So +37 resist all is like 370 armor.

Alex

Blacksmith would be better if the items crafted had at least one guaranteed stat.

As is, you're paying for loot drops which are free and just as likely to be good

Could have an interesting system where the price starts low but increases, vastly, by attaching assured stats (not values, though) to it.

LordCanti

yeah but the idea of getting 2 shotted on even lesser enemies than elites scares me too much. I'd get frustrated too fast.

Especially now that they nerfed smokescreen.

They need to buff dodge, or else make our dexterity go to something more useful.

Honestly, smoke screen isn't as useful as Caltrops with the guaranteed immobilization (very short on Inferno, but it's something). Throw a few down in a row, and then use traps (on crit with Sharpshooter) to make things wish they hadn't walked into the Caltrops. Smokescreen is for escape IMO.

Friendly reminder:

That explains why any public games I get into are doomed to failure in Inferno. Overcoming 30% extra vita is a challenge on bosses with timers.

scy

Gambling is gambling. The problem with it, from a value standpoint, is that everything pre-60 isn't worth the crafting cost vs expected return. It's a bit different at 60, though.

Come late Hell / Inferno, Armor stacking stops being worth it around ~60% mitigation and getting your Resistances to that point are just easier to do for a greater return since they stack. Even early Inferno will be aiming for 200-400+ to all Resists.

Totakeke

They need to buff dodge, or else make our dexterity go to something more useful.

Honestly, smoke screen isn't as useful as Caltrops with the guaranteed immobilization (very short on Inferno, but it's something). Throw a few down in a row, and then use traps (on crit with Sharpshooter) to make things wish they hadn't walked into the Caltrops. Smokescreen is for escape IMO.

Which spike trap do you use?

Smokescreen + displacement rune with tactical advantage is still good though. You can run more than a screen away to set up stuffs.

So I finally got home to try out Thetrin's monk build for hell, and godamn this shit works well. I already put it through it's paces and met a pack of plagued, frozen, teleporters(using dashing strike to avoid freezing, didnt even realize this was possible before) and took them down with ease.

Good job man, I'll probably stick with this for quite a while. You're right about that exploding palm rune, it works wonders at clearing mobs.

Totakeke

Come late Hell / Inferno, Armor stacking stops being worth it around ~60% mitigation and getting your Resistances to that point are just easier to do for a greater return since they stack. Even early Inferno will be aiming for 200-400+ to all Resists.

Armor's benefit is still linear, there's no diminishing returns. It's just that resist all stats tend to be more on an item compared to armor.

eek5

Gambling is gambling. The problem with it, from a value standpoint, is that everything pre-60 isn't worth the crafting cost vs expected return. It's a bit different at 60, though.

Then, for melee, at act 2 you need 900+ resists. I kind of don't get it. I'm at ~700 resists now and I can basically AFK in a group of 10 white enemies on Act 1 but I still get 2 shot in Act 2. They really need to flatten the difficulty gap a lot. Either make Act 1 significantly harder or reduce the difficulty of Act 2.

Resists is everything mang.
Vit/armor benefit ratio depends on your current stats. I have like 2.5k armor and 22k hp so the benefit is like 8 armor to 1 vit I think. For resist all vs. armor it's like 10 armor to 1 resist. So +37 resist all is like 370 armor.
Armor's benefit is still linear, there's no diminishing returns. It's just that resist all stats tend to be more on an item compared to armor.

huh. I'll have to think about what to do then. that's interesting.

p2OyE.jpg

Any help would be appreciated...
I'll tell you something I wish someone had told me 2 days ago: you can't farm Act II, Inferno. Not with that build.

This may sound ridiculous, but you need about 25,000 more damage to "farm" act II, Inferno. That's 40k-50k, damage. You need about 30,000 just to survive Act II up to the final boss. By "survive", I mean going through the entire act while netting close to no gold because of regular deaths and having to repair your armor.

You're not even in the Zip code. I'd recommend going back and farming Act 1, or falling back to Hell and farming there. How much money do you have now? If you farm act 1, it shouldn't take you too many runs to get a million.

Wait...with your damage, farming Act 1 may be difficult too. You may want to buy a 100,000-200,000 weapon to help expedite your farming up to a million. Something dealing 800-900 dps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom