• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every bonus on a weapon is already accounted for but not for primary stats.
Elemental damage is just graphical, I never saw a monster with more resist with a element.
It is not dependent on skills. You'll notice it with Cold Damage causing Snares or Poison Damage causing DoT effects. I'm fairly certain it's relevant for changing how mitigation works (e.g., an enemy with 50% Physical Resistance, 25% Cold, and 10% Holy would take different amounts of damage based on what kind of +Damage you had). That said, I don't really know all enemy resistances so I don't know if that actually matters in the long run.

Edit: Since you're a Wizard, I'm _not_ sure how those damage types work with your spells. I believe it changes nothing so, say, Magic Missile will still be Arcane damage regardless of what +Damage type you have equipped on your Weapon.

Also, all stats on a Weapon are already factored into the listed damage range, listed attack speed, and listed DPS. So that Axe already has the +278-519 damage in that 1045-1456 value.
got it now. thanks guys.

since I don't stand and fire in one place much, I'll probably not prioritize AS as part of my next weapon, then. I'll focus on +damage and + crit damage.

RAGE

WHAT do I do.

Told ya so. As for what to do: go farm Act I or Hell mode. Buy a better weaponz like I am. Then proceed to stick your foot deep inside Act II's ass.

Chances are if you're having trouble (like I was), it's because you can't do enough damage.

Tunic

Wow I am getting absolutely owned in Hell Mode right now with my Monk. I have a little over 13k Health and 3.3k DPS without any buffs, it goes up to 4.3k with the buffs activated at Level 52. I am in Act I trying to find the crown and any of the elite packs that show up absolutely destroy me in a matter of seconds. Any tips? Does the difficulty really ramp up with this Hell Mode?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
got it now. thanks guys.

Told ya so. As for what to do: go farm Act I or Hell mode. Buy a better weaponz like I am. Then proceed to stick your foot deep inside Act II's ass.

Chances are if you're having trouble (like I was), it's because you can't do enough damage.

I want to hang myself, slam my monitor in my head too.

chris-013

Inferno is a terrible mess

I have reached the boiling point in frustration with this fucking game.

I have shit melee hitting me from like 15 yards away killing me constantly or projectiles doing the same bullshit, after spending hours killing down whatever the fuck rare spawns I'm rewarded with garbage ass weapons or armor that belong in nightmare.

This is fucking infuriating, is the point of this game to frustrate you beyond belief? How is it fucking fun to try and grind out motherfucking items that 98% of the time will be worthless because of stat allocation at max level? I just LOVE the 30s res timers and the fucking 4-5k gold repairs that have effectively halted my gold farming.

Grouping with other people is out of the question because shit just becomes more of a clusterfuck of bullshit.

I can't fucking believe that this is how it is for me at this point..

What am I to do? Farm hell and it's garbage 2.0 loot in order for me to hop into inferno despite the fact that I do enough damage to kill anything in it but the 1 shot kills and instagibs from buggy distances hinder any fucking progress? How is this fun?

Jesus FUCK is there anyone else frustrated as fuck like me?

I really want to enjoy the game more but right now it's just fucking impossible to do so.. Can't solo effectively at all, cant fucking group up.. The AH SUCKS ASS. Awesome search speeds in there, I also love how you can't fucking see items tooltips that are on the bottom because they center on where the mouse pointer is.

WHAT do I do.

What class are you playing ?
Try to find a good group. A tank with great gear help a lot.

SupaNaab

WHAT do I do.

Come play Hardcore. There is pretty much nothing in the AH past a certain point. It's absolutely necessary to grind and any time you can leave the game knowing you live another day is a good one. Grinding doesn't feel so trivial when death is permanent and the AH is a ghost town.

I am wondering about that myself. Even on Normal some of the melee attacks can be achieved by the enemies by several feet away. I can understand how this would become that much more frustrating on Inferno.

Just noticed that some stuff I bought earlier tonight took my Gold and have not arrived in my Completed Tab after like 3 hours. Hm ...

... come on game.
Same. Also, I sold about 20 items and none of the gold has shown up either.

How can the WoW AH be so good and this one be so bad?

eek5

Bought 2 items myself, gold gone but no items, ugh.

Whoops.. I th ink I just lost 450k on two items. Good thing I didn't pull the trigger on a 6 million gold amulet...

Hopefully this stuff ends up appearing somewhere but that sucks if it doesn't.

I also didn't get gold from one of my sold auctions and 7 of them are invisible now.

Feels so bad.

Dartastic

I am level 40, playing on the second difficulty level. I haven't been to the secret level yet. Would anyone like to take me there sometime in the future?

gatti-man

So much frothing rage in this thread makes me laugh. I bought 4 pairs of boots somehow this morning after the auctions said timed out. They showed up like 3 hours later good times.

LordCanti

Is this the first time in US ? Because they did a lot of maintenance on the EU AH server.

It does this every day at some point it seems. Just goes haywire and nothing works properly, until it ultimately either crashes, or they take it down.

So much frothing rage in this thread makes me laugh. I bought 4 pairs of boots somehow this morning after the auctions said timed out. They showed up like 3 hours later good times.

That happened to me yesterday. Luckily when the five or six items showed up, they were all stuff I bought insanely low intending to flip.

I don't think it's melee characters hitting you from 15 yards away more than it's the fact that once the opponent has "locked" into it's attacking animation (ie got into the minimum attacking range to start it's attack up) it will hit you. The only way that attack will not hit is if it's blocked, dodged or if you used an evasive skill on time. Running away and creating a gap won't do you any good, the gap can be 1 yard or 100 yards.

The way I play this game now is that any time an enemy has gotten close enough to me and has started it's attack animation, I immediately dodge or SS out. I even have Evasive Fire so even if they get in close enough for melee attack I dodge away before they do anything.

But yeah you are screwed against "fast" elite mobs. They will just keep attacking you until you run out Discipline/Spirit or whatever the hell your character uses to escape and will just rush you down until you die.

Blizzard has confirmed your suspicions; If you're in range when the animation starts, it's going to hit. They've designed it this way because "dodging isn't fun" or some such BS.

Dahbomb

I don't think it's melee characters hitting you from 15 yards away more than it's the fact that once the opponent has "locked" into it's attacking animation (ie got into the minimum attacking range to start it's attack up) it will hit you. The only way that attack will not hit is if it's blocked, dodged or if you used an evasive skill on time. Running away and creating a gap won't do you any good, the gap can be 1 yard or 100 yards.

The way I play this game now is that any time an enemy has gotten close enough to me and has started it's attack animation, I immediately dodge or SS out. I even have Evasive Fire so even if they get in close enough for melee attack I dodge away before they do anything.

But yeah you are screwed against "fast" elite mobs. They will just keep attacking you until you run out Discipline/Spirit or whatever the hell your character uses to escape and will just rush you down until you die.

Blizzard has confirmed your suspicions; If you're in range when the animation starts, it's going to hit. They've designed it this way because "dodging isn't fun" or some such BS.
I think they want you to use the evasive skills on your character to avoid an attack. To be honest, against a DH most regular enemies shouldn't be able to touch her no matter the difficulty or the enemy type. Things get complicated with Elite mobs in Hell/Inferno who can't be slowed that much, can't be stunned and can have movement speed faster than you along with teleports, jailing, walling and vortex abilities.

In that regard the whole "locked" in attacks aren't balanced at all especially when some enemies pop out of no where on the map like those ghosts in act 1 or those teleporting Nagas in act 2.

wish there was an undo/unbuy button when talking to vendors. My game lagged and instead of buying one ring @ 7k, it bought 6 -.- stupid right-click. It wasn't a whole lot of money but its a pain, i got no room as it is...

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Luckily the worst that has happened to me so far is I bought 5 of a Gem that I only wanted 2 of, but that only lost me about 5k gold. For WoW, was the Auction has for that was Realm Specific, right? I can see why they are having such issues when scaling the Auction House up, rather then 100 small Realm Specific auction houses, they now have 3 giant auction houses.

Edit: From the looks of it, the Auction houses in WoW are not only Realm Specific, but there are Faction Specific ones too, so Blizzard's system was likely designed for 100's of small auction houses, not 3 really large ones (Which are likely divided up into 2 to 4 smaller auction houses each internally)

BigDug13

So is this whole game based around the AH? I seem to find it impossible to find decent gear. I just started Hell on my WD. I had 18k hps and 2.7k DPS. Blues are already wiping the floor with me. I had to kite them back into town, then they slaughtered the guards, so I kept kiting. Maybe I'm too low of level in Act 1? I'm level 51. I finally finished off a yellow mob the same way and he dropped a yellow level 40 item. Level 40 item....when you have to kite your ass off at level 51 to kill him. The drop was far inferior to what I purchased on the AH.

I wanted to regear in the AH but everything I've purchased doesn't show up in my complete tab. Even the 10 failed auctions I put up have not popped back up in that tab. Is that happening for anyone else too?

I guess my question is, what is adequate DPS and HPS for hell Act 1? Because 18k hps and 2.7k DPS using AH purchases isn't enough, which is strange since the drops that these tougher monsters are dropping are garbage...all of it.

(I play solo, so I'm not sure if that contributes.)

Wow I am getting absolutely owned in Hell Mode right now with my Monk. I have a little over 13k Health and 3.3k DPS without any buffs, it goes up to 4.3k with the buffs activated at Level 52. I am in Act I trying to find the crown and any of the elite packs that show up absolutely destroy me in a matter of seconds. Any tips? Does the difficulty really ramp up with this Hell Mode?
I'm at about the same point though with less dps. I stand in as long as I can on the elites and then back out a little if I need to. I've gotten much better at dodging arcane sentry and pulling the mob out of range.

LordCanti

So is this whole game based around the AH? I seem to find it impossible to find decent gear. I just started Hell on my WD. I had 18k hps and 2.7k DPS. Blues are already wiping the floor with me. I had to kite them back into town, then they slaughtered the guards, so I kept kiting. Maybe I'm too low of level in Act 1? I'm level 51. I finally finished off a yellow mob the same way and he dropped a yellow level 40 item. Level 40 item....when you have to kite your ass off at level 51 to kill him. The drop was far inferior to what I purchased on the AH.

I wanted to regear in the AH but everything I've purchased doesn't show up in my complete tab. Even the 10 failed auctions I put up have not popped back up in that tab. Is that happening for anyone else too?

I guess my question is, what is adequate DPS and HPS for hell Act 1? Because 18k hps and 2.7k DPS using AH purchases isn't enough, which is strange since the drops that these tougher monsters are dropping are garbage...all of it.

(I play solo, so I'm not sure if that contributes.)

Yes, the Auction House (for the North American server) is currently malfunctioning for everyone.

Red so hopefully people will notice.

As for your other question, yes, I very rarely get anything my character can actually use from farming. Not only that, but I almost never get items that are reasonably scaled so that I can sell them on the AH. This has persisted up to and including Act 2 of Inferno, where I still regularly get 100-200 DPS weapons, and armor that wouldn't have been good at 55. Like 80% MF without NV as well.

Every bonus on a weapon is already accounted for but not for primary stats.
Elemental damage is just graphical, I never saw a monster with more resist with a element.

Actually, Cold damage has a chance to freeze targets. It can also "chill" them which causes a slow. However to compensate for this, Cold damage also inherently reduces a weapons damage.

I can't speak on other elements having special effects. None that I've noticed, other than poison being a DOT and not direct.

Edit: Research'd

Fire- on crits, it lights targets on fire and puts a DOT on them
Lightning- cant be blocked, on crits can cause a stun
Arcane- can't be blocked, crits cause "silence" basically an interrupt to enemies casting something.

oneils

I went through my auction house history and just realised that I have spent about 900,000 gold while levelling. I went through gear pretty quick throughout the levels.

Must have turned over a full set of gear at least 6 or so times. I suck at selling, though. I probably have made less than 100K. Was not too vigilant about selling stuff back.

x3r0123

damn it....... i bought something and it gave me the wrong item
I sold 200k+ worth of something and i cant get it... arggghhhh

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Has no one here played Diablo before? 99% of drops are indeed trash. Thats just how it is and what keeps players playing.

Everything I find seems to be a couple levels below my level. Kind of sucks when I can fully gear in the AH easily but actually finding useful shit in game never happens :/

BigDug13

Has no one here played Diablo before? 99% of drops are indeed trash. Thats just how it is and what keeps players playing.

I'm pretty sure in Diablo 2, there was plenty of gear that you could purchase that was beyond your level as well as drops that were beyond your level. The problem with this game is that NOTHING drops at or near your level. Everything is always 5-10 levels lower than you. If it was a matter of continuing to farm items that were equal to my level in the hopes that one will pop with the stats I want, that's one thing. But when absolutely nothing that drops even compares to what's sold in the AH for your level, that's bad design.

They put "must be X level to use" on these items for a reason, so why are level 50 elites dropping level 40 yellow items? Why do I have to wait till I'm level 55 in Act 2 or 3 hell to find level 50 drops? It makes it impossible for the game's drops to compete with the AH. The fact that Gold Find is way more valuable than Magic Find is truly saddening.

Everything I find seems to be a couple levels below my level. Kind of sucks when I can fully gear in the AH easily but actually finding useful shit in game never happens :/

Well yea the AH basically has ruined finding cool loot in the game for me. So far I haven't found a single upgrade in days, all my ups have come from the AH . Instead of getting lucky, you just skip it all and go straight to the AH to find the best you can afford.

D1 and 2 were not like this

Wallach

How do you quick salvage stuff? Do I really have to drag it to the anvil?

Click the anvil first, it will turn your cursor into an anvil and you can go through and salvage things quicker. You'll get a prompt for anything that is rare or higher, magic items get instantly salvaged.

Is it just me or do all of
Diablo's
moves haves stupid hitboxes?

I'm getting hit with everything including his melee which I can screenshot and show I'm not within range.

Best ping I can get here is 200 and it still happens then. This is pretty shit

Only reason why I beat him solo was because I had like 6K DPS on Nightmare

LordCanti

Click the anvil first, it will turn your cursor into an anvil and you can go through and salvage things quicker. You'll get a prompt for anything that is rare or higher, magic items get instantly salvaged.

Which is madness, since they are the best items in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom