• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trickster

so since the demon hunter nerf I'm having a very hard time progressing in Act I Inferno...should I go back and farm Act IV Hell or is there a better spot? And I'm not interested in the auction house.

Learn how to use vault to kite properly, I did that clearing act 1 without any difficulties at all.

I'm at 12k dps as WD and around 26k health. So far it's not bad, but of course I'm squishy as hell. I'm afraid to get to act 2.

You should be, you're gonna get destroyed.

Zeliard

I'm starting to grow tired of this game :(

I'm still only in Act 2 normal. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but every single encounter feels the same. I do the same thing basically no matter what I'm fighting. Equipment drops don't really do much for me - not that I've even been finding anything worth using (almost all my stuff is made at the blacksmith).

There's no real story to pull me forward and it's all just... I don't know. I'm not having that much fun anymore. It's not that I've burned out on it or anything. I only play on Fridays/weekends. Maybe I just need to play more co-operative? But strangers are scary.

Maybe play with some gaffers. Normal is ultra-stupid in that it's incredibly mindless and easy and can get quite monotonous, but the game starts to open up a bit more once you hit Nightmare.

I give in to IAP on iOS games pretty easily so I'm scared lol

Yeah I imagine there will be a huge temptation for people who don't want to or can't spend the time and would rather buy certain things. I'm curious to see how the prices average out. Could be quite crazy those first couple weeks.

As I recommend to everyone: bring the lube so that the ramming isn't so bad.

Lol, i'm ready to try it..

EMPhG.png

Any1 know if this has value to it? I'm not good with the AH when it comes to pricing.

Found Zoltun's head yesterday on Inferno and it hasn't been half as hard as before after switching to my new build.
DPS is rather on the low side and 91 arcane power is a bit sad, but I'm able to kite elite packs easily and my K:D on Inferno has never been better.
32k hp, 19-20k DPS, ~40% resistances. Wizard.

Yeah, Inferno isn't hard for wizards at all. There are some bullshit packs, but for the most part up to the end of act 3 should be a breeze.

They really need to do something about wizards, the game is simply far too easy for them right now, they do way too much damage and are too safe.

That being said, I got mine from 1-40 today and I'll get it to 60 tomorrow, I want in on that free money.

My DPS is way too low to beat the Butcher on inferno using a DH. I'm just a hair below 12k, and I've got 29k vit. One hit of his fan of knives move brings my HP down close to zero and it's hard to get ack after that. :/

I don't use either one of those. Am I missing out? I've tried both of those abilities and I don't really like them. I use leaping spiders and rain of frogs. No animation time on rain of frogs and they come from the sky so it's instant long-range damage spammable for AE 120% damage per cast...right now that's about 25 mana, 480% damage for 100 mana. The leaping spiders do good damage (3 attacks over 4 seconds for 19% damage each is about 230% damage per toss) and don't depend on having a target since they'll leap to what's available and will leap 25 yards past the edge of the screen if that's where you throw them. Works great for kiting bosses around.

Between the both of them, I do really well so far at 52, but my dps has dropped off and my AH items I'm still waiting on.

The Dire Bats seem to drain my entire pool in 3 casts. I didn't really like that.
Dire Bats is usually paired with Vision Quest, so no mana pool problem. Poison darts do an insane amount of dmg w/o sacrificing mana. Pair with atk spd% gear and you're good to go.

You're only missing out on boring but effective play. =p

Yeah I imagine there will be a huge temptation for people who don't want to or can't spend the time and would rather buy certain things. I'm curious to see how the prices average out. Could be quite crazy those first couple weeks.

That's what I'm worried about. I have no problems buying some stuff but I've got limits to how much I'll spend on armor and weapons. I'm hoping the higher end stuff will be, like, $5 to $10 but it'll probably be much higher than that. Since right now $40 gets a million gold, would people try and sell a weapon that's normally 2.5 million for $100? Ugh.

Wallach

That's what I'm worried about. I have no problems buying some stuff but I've got limits to how much I'll spend on armor and weapons. I'm hoping the higher end stuff will be, like, $5 to $10 but it'll probably be much higher than that. Since right now $40 gets a million gold, would people try and sell a weapon that's normally 2.5 million for $100? Ugh.

No. The value of gold is going to tank as soon as the RMAH goes live. After that it will eventually plateau until new forms of gold usage are implemented.

Petrie

Banned
such a well designed game, in that case.

When will people get that Inferno is designed to be way too hard. That was the entire point. If you dislike it, play the other 3 difficulties the game gives you, and enjoy.

People just love to bitch.

Rufus

Don't take current prices to mean anything, things have yet to stabilize.

Skytylz

Banned

People are paying $40 for a million gold? I can make that much in 4-5 hours.... I could have been making almost $10/hr playing diablo 3!

I started having immensely more success when I took out diamond skin in favor of teleport with fracture and illusionist passive over astral presence. DS just doesn't scale worth a damn into inferno and as long as you're tanky enough for force armor to activate on every hit, you will always have a blink with 2 mirror images at your disposal when an enemy inevitably gets in your face. Stack about 1k HP/s life regen and you can kite away and regen almost endlessly.

Wizard can be a slippery bugger with illusionist and teleport.

This +1. Diamond Skin does not cut it past act 1 in Hell.

I'm having a lot of success with Spectral Blade (Deep Cuts) and Celestial Arcane Orb.

No. The value of gold is going to tank as soon as the RMAH goes live. After that it will eventually plateau until new forms of gold usage are implemented.

Don't take current prices to mean anything, things have yet to stabilize.

And that's why I'm not buying any gold on eBay. I'll just put my Monk aside and until the RMAH launches and focus on other characters.

People are paying $40 for a million gold? I can make that much in 4-5 hours.... I could have been making almost $10/hr playing diablo 3!

It's selling for that much on eBay. Go for it!

Is there any word on Blizz nerfing the Wizard passive Critical Mass? I know they planned to make it so that one build that soloed Diablo on inferno doesn't work anymore, but did they ever specify what it was the planned to change?

Wallach

Is there any word on Blizz nerfing the Wizard passive Critical Mass? I know they planned to make it so that one build that soloed Diablo on inferno doesn't work anymore, but did they ever specify what it was the planned to change?

They nerfed it already. It just doesn't trigger as often with certain multi-hit moves. That was probably a bug since most abilities already have their proc chances divided by the number of hits they deal if there are multiple strikes per unit of attack time.

Edit - I take it back, the hotfix may not actually be live yet. It is coming though.

Tapiozona

Banned
Yeah, Inferno isn't hard for wizards at all. There are some bullshit packs, but for the most part up to the end of act 3 should be a breeze.

They really need to do something about wizards, the game is simply far too easy for them right now, they do way too much damage and are too safe.

That being said, I got mine from 1-40 today and I'll get it to 60 tomorrow, I want in on that free money.

How do you level 1-40 in a day? I played for about 5 hours today and my wizard went up about 8 levels.

LordCanti

Know what? I decided to try farming A4 Inferno a little bit and...it's not that much more difficult to farm as a DH than Act 1/2/3. Things still one hit, and kiting is kiting.

Well, I think I might be done with D3. I just caught myself grinding and realized WTF I was doing. Grinding and farming isn't fun, it's work, and video games aren't supposed to be work. Why does GAF burn companies like Zynga alive for designing their games like this but Blizzard gets a free pass? D3 was really fun up to Inferno but now it's just tedious and frustrating.

I think I'll get Max Payne 3.

Trickster

My DPS is way too low to beat the Butcher on inferno using a DH. I'm just a hair below 12k, and I've got 29k vit. One hit of his fan of knives move brings my HP down close to zero and it's hard to get ack after that. :/

huh? 12k dps is more than enough to take him out. And yeah, his large aoe chain thing can take you close to zero, just hurry over and use one of the healing shrine, pop a potion, or use preparation with the battle scars rune, that gives you 60% of your full hp when you use it.

Hard part about him when you have poor gear as DH, is that his hook ability that will kill you.

That can't be real, wtf.

It's obviously not, come on people. max +%dmg is 50, that thing has over 200%, faker than a photoshoot picture of a model.

Well, I think I might be done with D3. I just caught myself grinding and realized WTF I was doing. Grinding and farming isn't fun, it's work, and video games aren't supposed to be work. Why does GAF burn companies like Zynga alive for designing their games like this but Blizzard gets a free pass? D3 was really fun up to Inferno but now it's just tedious and frustrating.

I think I'll get Max Payne 3.

If you don't like grinding for items then diablo 3 was the wrong game for you from the start. It's bassically a game about grinding gear.

frequency

Maybe play with some gaffers. Normal is ultra-stupid in that it's incredibly mindless and easy and can get quite monotonous, but the game starts to open up a bit more once you hit Nightmare.

I don't think I'm even half way to getting to Nightmare. I'll try to keep going I guess.

If anyone wants to play with a low level newbie who only plays on weekends, my tag is freqbnet#1468
My highest character is level 20ish Demon Hunter in Act 2. Everything else is below 10.
It sounds like everyone in this thread is far ahead though.

eek5

11k is about the bare minimum but you have to be really attacking him for most of the battle. If you need help on US server I can tank him for you with Barb

If you don't like grinding for items then diablo 3 was the wrong game for you from the start. It's bassically a game about grinding gear.

Not only is it not for me, it shouldn't be for anyone. That's not fun man, it's mindless game addiction and it's not a healthy thing. It's too bad that Inferno is the way it is because the rest of the game is excellent, but damn, this gold grind is fucking bullshit. It's an obvious tactic to encourage RMAH transactions, and that's just shameful.

Ferrio

Banned
I wouldn't mind grinding if the shit that dropped actually helped you.

There's people with unlimited gold right now, have the best items that are available... and still struggling against bullshit.

How do you level 1-40 in a day? I played for about 5 hours today and my wizard went up about 8 levels.

Stacking +XP gear helps boost you upo some, but if you really want to speed it up grinding certain quest helps you do it extremly quickly. I did 1-40 in a day with a Wizard myself. Thing slow down when you hit 50 though. Gear starts to matter and you can't sacrifice stats for +XP, but the grindable quest are still good.

I think this game might be the disappointment of the year thus far. At least Mass Effect 3 was good for most of the game, while this is just bad. Bad itemization, AH is down more often than it is up, melee enemies hitting you despite the fact that you are a good 20 feet away, and the story is probably the worst of any game I have played recently and not so recently. They really need to hire someone new to keep Metzen in check because his writing has been garbage for quite some time, see Starcraft II. Furthermore, Bosses should be the gear checks and most of them are jokes in comparison to the trash mobs leading up to them. I have a feeling Torchlight 2 is going to be far better.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm getting kinda tired of kiting shit all the time on Wizard in Inferno...that's just not my style. Tank barb, here I come. I should have enough extra gear lying around that I haven't sold yet to be fairly set for at least act 1 inferno.

eek5

You don't realize how broken/unbalanced this game is until the AH goes down and you can't progress. My barb is pretty much stuck in limbo until I can get on the AH to get more resist gear and a life on hit weapon.

Well this sucks. I'm about to finish nightmare and the AH is down there is no way I'm going to be able to do anything with gear I got at lvl 40.

Wallach

I'm getting kinda tired of kiting shit all the time on Wizard in Inferno...that's just not my style. Tank barb, here I come. I should have enough extra gear lying around that I haven't sold yet to be fairly set for at least act 1 inferno.

I'm feeling it too, though I'm a DH so it's even a bit worse. It's a little mentally fatiguing to play this way for long periods of time, and the class really has no alternative right now.

Can't decide between Monk or Barbarian. Barbarian clearly scales fantastically with gear, I'm not as confident about the Monk doing so.

LordCanti

Fairy quest?

Magda I believe.

I'm feeling it too, though I'm a DH so it's even a bit worse. It's a little mentally fatiguing to play this way for long periods of time, and the class really has no alternative right now.

Can't decide between Monk or Barbarian. Barbarian clearly scales fantastically with gear, I'm not as confident about the Monk doing so.

It's nice to spawn and hear the shrill "EHEEEEEEE!" noise that the female DH makes when she goes down. It's scared the hell out of me a couple times at this point.

Not only is it not for me, it shouldn't be for anyone. That's not fun man, it's mindless game addiction and it's not a healthy thing. It's too bad that Inferno is the way it is because the rest of the game is excellent, but damn, this gold grind is fucking bullshit. It's an obvious tactic to encourage RMAH transactions, and that's just shameful.

The best way I can describe it to people is that it's like a slot machine for me. I kill a boss, elite, or a champ and I know I'm going to get something. Will I win or lose? I just want to keep going at it over and over.

Sounds like a good, healthy hobby.

lol I'm not claiming it's good for a person, but that combined with always trying to improve my character (who is currently in a rut) is what keeps me going back. Plus I can try another class and do the same with them. It's fun for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom