• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I'd let go some of my millions for $30 a pop.
Easy.

Since I got 14.5 of em
Price check on these?

rUGe1.png
mil+
ibjysnm9FAMYG5.jpg

legit upgrade, or keep looking?
If you found it? I'd sell it, get some other nice gear, then buy a better wep later.
Got my first legendary today in Act 2 Inferno. Not great. But I guess it's okay if you're building crit?

ibyKfj5o2QtiGF.jpg
Bad. Crit gloves are not expensive and every other stat sucks.

You can do Azmodan runs. Pick up a couple nephalim stacks in level 3 of the keep, then do the Azmodan run. You'll make money and you might get an upgrade or two, depending on your gear.

You don't really have many options to gear up for Inferno if you're not going to use the AH.

If you're not on hardcore, you get far better lot by slugging along to skeleton king, killing him, and then farming him with 5 stacks of NV. As a Barb in Inferno, I'm doing ok this way and typically get 3 yellows per kill of him, along with many more yellows on the rares I kill. So far, I've made a ton of gold just in drops because while it's possible for Azmodan to drop good Lv. 60 gear, Skeleton King drops, on average, FAR more Lv. 60 gear so there's a higher chance of their being something useful. And the Lv. 60 gear he does drop is much better than the Lv. 60 gear Azmodan drops.

If you're on HC, then yea I'm not sure what to tell you. It's fucking rough, and you WILL die to some of the champion packs. Don't even try it in a group, you'll get facerolled so many times you won't even know what to do. But solo, you can generally manage to kill elite packs, even if it involves using really cheap techniques. Such as: Kiting to the entrance of Tristram then running back and forth from the healer. Or Fighting right next to a doorway and zoning / teleport / heal / run back.

Rufus

The hobby is gaming, not Diablo 3. Whether it is harmful or not will be determined by one's moderation, not what particular game is playing on the monitor.
While that is true, not all games are as grindy. It can be bad to find out how the sausage is made, likewise it can bad to realize how you're being manipulated. This is virtual slots, there's no denying that.

Shouta

Sweet, I can solo some of the mini-bosses at the end of Act IV Inferno on my Monk, usually eat a few deaths if I'm not careful but that's the price to pay for possible good loot.

kingslunk

There is seriously no where. NO WHERE. good to farm. Just cleared inferno cows. The drops are awful.

Each day I play this the more and more I get disappointed.

eek5

If you're not on hardcore, you get far better lot by slugging along to skeleton king, killing him, and then farming him with 5 stacks of NV. As a Barb in Inferno, I'm doing ok this way and typically get 3 yellows per kill of him, along with many more yellows on the rares I kill. So far, I've made a ton of gold just in drops because while it's possible for Azmodan to drop good Lv. 60 gear, Skeleton King drops, on average, FAR more Lv. 60 gear so there's a higher chance of their being something useful. And the Lv. 60 gear he does drop is much better than the Lv. 60 gear Azmodan drops.

If you're on HC, then yea I'm not sure what to tell you. It's fucking rough, and you WILL die to some of the champion packs. Don't even try it in a group, you'll get facerolled so many times you won't even know what to do. But solo, you can generally manage to kill elite packs, even if it involves using really cheap techniques. Such as: Kiting to the entrance of Tristram then running back and forth from the healer. Or Fighting right next to a doorway and zoning / teleport / heal / run back.

That HC group posted earlier was just farming the goblin basement over and over to try to get some good drops. I don't really see any other way. One of the problems is those zombies in the early game hit HARD. I think the only white enemies that hit much harder in act 1 are the bulls later on so it's pretty dangerous to even try to clear SK with 55-57 gear.

There is seriously no where. NO WHERE. good to farm. Just cleared inferno cows. The drops are awful.

Each day I play this the more and more I get disappointed.

Yeah it's pretty bad. The worst part for me is that Act 3 is my favorite but I've only played it 3 times. I've run Act 1 (my least favorite) like 30 times already. No fun.

Narag

First Elite pack I run into on Act III Inferno was Frozen Plagued Arcane Enchanted Invulnerable Minions. Think I'll call it a night!

Wallach

While that is true, not all games are as grindy. It can be bad to find out how the sausage is made, likewise it can bad to realize how you're being manipulated. This is virtual slots, there's no denying that.

Sure, I don't really disagree. Skinner box principles are at the core of a lot of video games, some are heavier handed than others. I think the gameplay is a little more refined than it has been in the past, but at its core you're still looking for good loot so you can look for good loot faster.

I feel like you should know this about video games at this point if you are on a video game website talking about video games; they exist to compel you to play them, regardless of the appeal method they're employing.

That HC group posted earlier was just farming the goblin basement over and over to try to get some good drops. I don't really see any other way. One of the problems is those zombies in the early game hit HARD. I think the only white enemies that hit much harder in act 1 are the bulls later on so it's pretty dangerous to even try to clear SK with 55-57 gear.

I guess, I'm a Barb and I had literally 0 problems with any trash packs all the way through cathedral, except elites. My gear isn't even that good. It's getting better, but when I started I had like 28k HP and 6.5k DPS.

eek5

I guess, I'm a Barb and I had literally 0 problems with any trash packs all the way through cathedral, except elites. My gear isn't even that good. It's getting better, but when I started I had like 28k HP and 6.5k DPS.

Their gear was bad. They had almost no resists. It's different when the AH has nothing for you to buy.

I had all my MF gear on today (~5.5 armor, 30k HP, 200-300 resists) which is higher than what they had on and I almost got killed by one of those fat zombies.

Kyoufu

Sweet, I can solo some of the mini-bosses at the end of Act IV Inferno on my Monk, usually eat a few deaths if I'm not careful but that's the price to pay for possible good loot.

You mean the NPC mini bosses? They were hotfixed to only drop act 1 loot weren't they?

Alex

People like grinding and stats and theorywork and gear and meshing them into the game and the very nice combat and skill system and watching it and progression all come together.

Different fun for different people, the notion that grinding is automatically bad word has always bothered me. I like a LOT of types of games but I'd rather repeat the same actions doing something I find engaging and interesting than automatically adhering to whatever "pure fun" type for the sake of message board horseshit. Some of the best fun in any type of game is grinding. Scores, medals, achivements, gear, etc. Consuming and moving on is what I do with games I only truly like to a certain degree.

Also, there's one major point about this hobby that everyone shares: your time is all being wasted and flushed down the toilet. None of it is meaningful, not one drop, and it's when it interferes with your life and social structure that it becomes bad. I, and a lot of people here, probably play several ORPGs and MMORPGs a LOT more healthy than gigantic swaths of dudes who buy shooters and platformers and single player RPGs and down 40 hours into them in a weekend.

kingslunk

Easy.

Since I got 14.5 of em

mil+

If you found it? I'd sell it, get some other nice gear, then buy a better wep later.

$30? You're on drugs

Easy.

Since I got 14.5 of em

mil+

Wait wait.

You think 1 million gold will go for $30?

I hope you're right because I'll be making $100+ in a few weeks if that's the case.

LordCanti

A million is going for $40 on eBay currently so it's actually a good deal.

It's against the TOS right now though (meaning a danger factor/it's not as common/not as much volume out there). Soon it will be like $10 per million, if that.

If Blizzard can ever get the auction house in non-fucked shape.

Shouta

What's the current build you're using?

Evasion because I'm going to get killed in one hit even with my resist gear and excellent shield. I stacked all the Evasion modifiers I have (more or less) and got up to 65%. I kill them or they kill me usually lol.

Alex

They're holding my gold hostage. Criminals!

Evasion because I'm going to get killed in one hit even with my resist gear and excellent shield. I stacked all the Evasion modifiers I have (more or less) and got up to 65%. I kill them or they kill me usually lol.

Can you post your skill load out, Shouta? I've been wanting to try an evasion build in Inferno but I don't really know about combining certain parts of it and how much is too much. I did notice the game, like WoW, had some hefty diminishing returns in spots.

So a shield is pretty much mandatory in Inferno then? I haven't progressed too far into it yet but I've been thinking of dual wielding fist weapons so I "feel" more like a Monk. But if I have to I guess I'll continue with a shield.

Alex

So a shield is pretty much mandatory in Inferno then? I haven't progressed too far into it yet but I've been thinking of dual wielding fist weapons so I "feel" more like a Monk. But if I have to I guess I'll continue with a shield.

You don't really lose much DPS from a shield, and its a solid boon, so pretty much everyone takes one. While it doesn't bother me much I agree with your point, though. I do believe even Blizzard said it wasn't something they wanted at one point (although this is total hearsay) so maybe it'll get changed?

eek5

If you're stacking resists then yes I would get a shield. You get more armor to reduce damage even more and you can get more resists on off-hand to reduce damage further. Depending on the shield and your other gear, you can basically have a 10-40% chance to mitigate all incoming damage after the armor and resists chip it away which is too good not to pass up especially when you're just starting to build your gear set and don't have +70/70 resists on every piece. I think block chance occurs AFTER dodge as well so you have a 20-30% to dodge then another 10-40% chance to block

joesmokey

Finally made it to Inferno. Hell was pretty boring to play through with no gear upgrades for me except for a chest piece.

I only have 600k in the bank right now after piecing together Whimsyshire Hell staff and lvl gear. I think it's best to save 1 million+ for a new weapon? I have a 640dps 2hr with +80 int and 120+ vit that I got for cheap at 10k gold. I need one of those 1k+ dps 2hrs though...

I'm at 28k hp and 14k dps (magic weapon buffed) with no level 60 gear. Not too sure how far I'll get in Act I without upgrading everything else first.

Inferno wizards, what stat do you sacrifice to piece together resist gear? Do you have a separate gear set just for resists? Is it better to get a 1hr and a shield with amazing stats than a high dps 2hr?

Best quest to grind for level 56-60? It's going a bit slow just playing through the game.
If it hasn't been nerfed yet: Hell difficulty->Act 2 Black Soulstone(#8)->Last Quest (#3). Go into the Terminus, kill Kulle, turn quest back into camp, exit and repeat. 96k exp for like 2-3 mins of work as a wizard.

Alex

have any of the people who were concerned about the art style played the game yet? are the bad art style claims justified?

It has probably some of the best art direction of any game that comes to mind. To an extent, I can understand people who wanted a more bleak, gritty tone but in no fucking universe is in the art in this game anything other than great.

I just wish World of Warcraft had art this good, WoW has some pretty great modern environments, especially considering it's age but the characters and equipment are basically like litter in it.

Boooo, AH is down

I found some decent looking rares to sell..............and I need to buy a whole bunch of shit to get my DPS up =/ Hell is hard

You don't really lose much DPS from a shield, and its a solid boon, so pretty much everyone takes one. While it doesn't bother me much I agree with your point, though. I do believe even Blizzard said it wasn't something they wanted at one point (although this is total hearsay) so maybe it'll get changed?

I hope it gets changed as I feel like I'm a barbarian at times. It's really not a big deal to me either but it's not how I envisioned the Monk being.

If you're stacking resists then yes I would get a shield. You get more armor to reduce damage even more and you can get more resists on off-hand to reduce damage further. Depending on the shield and your other gear, you can basically have a 10-40% chance to mitigate all incoming damage after the armor and resists chip it away which is too good not to pass up especially when you're just starting to build your gear set and don't have +70/70 resists on every piece. I think block chance occurs AFTER dodge as well so you have a 20-30% to dodge then another 10-40% chance to block

That's what I figured so I guess I'll continue with it. The one I'm using did help me become less squishy. I didn't need it until somewhere in the Hell difficulty and before then I was going back and forth between dual wielding and a daibo.

Shouta

Typically, yes. The benefits of a shield are incredibly great and you'll want them most of the time.

I have Act IV saved because I helped someone. I'm using as much evasion as possible because my current set doesn't allow me to straight tank these mini-bosses so I try to evade as many as I can combined with my Bubble and SSS to try and kill them. I also kite a little bit as well depending on the mob. It's not an actual build to fight in Inferno. I don't have the stats for it yet.

For the purposes of these minibosses though, I'm DWing, heh.

My build does work for Act II Inferno, just barely. normal mobs are easy (for the most part) and some Elites aren't bad with a bit of luck

Raxus

I have a love hate relationship with the valor buff. On one hand it helps me get rare gear. On the other hand it means I can't put the game down for 3 hours since the damn thing keeps refreshing.

Rufus

Sure, I don't really disagree. Skinner box principles are at the core of a lot of video games, some are heavier handed than others. I think the gameplay is a little more refined than it has been in the past, but at its core you're still looking for good loot so you can look for good loot faster.

I feel like you should know this about video games at this point if you are on a video game website talking about video games; they exist to compel you to play them, regardless of the appeal method they're employing.
There is a lot of value in hiding the manipulation well, or targeting more than your loot lust exclusively. It's why people play hardcore characters or group up with friends.
Few games will remind you as pertinently just how worthless the activity is as grind-heavy games. If you don't care or the game is engaging enough, then it makes no difference of course.

I don't get what the point of the second paragraph is. I'm not surprised by how games in general or grind heavy games work, I've been there 12 years ago with D2 and other games since.

Different fun for different people,
Of course.

I, and a lot of people here, probably play several ORPGs and MMORPGs a LOT more healthy than gigantic swaths of dudes who buy shooters and platformers and single player RPGs and down 40 hours into them in a weekend.
Eh, that's a nice thought but I don't think you can assert that so easily. I'm not trying to judge you for enjoying it, if that's what you're reacting to.
It's just fascinating to me how enjoyable the grind can be, regardless of the realization that there might be better things to do. Hell, I'm playing and when I'm not playing I'm thinking of playing. And I'm refreshing this thread.

tl;dr I'm not trying to argue.

inky

have any of the people who were concerned about the art style played the game yet? are the bad art style claims justified?

It's very good overall, the environments are nice and detailed and it has cool effects and animations. My only complaints would be some enemy designs (like the unburied which are just terrible) and some very spiky, or baroque sets of armor as well. My biggest complaint would be the lack of armor pieces with true metallic sheen, the blurry filter which muds everything up (sharpen mod does improve this) and that the low poly count of the characters that doesn't let the detail standout. I was very against it, but at this point I enjoy it very much, especially some low level female monk sets are probably some of the best armor designs I've seen in any game.

Raxus

Bought weapons off AH. Each has 154 base, so that's a good start.(I think?)

Did all of this build except the one thing I can't do with mantra of healing.

Tempest Rush though...what am I doing wrong? I feel like it just sucks my spirit dry for no real damage...

Tempest rush is more an escape maneuver and a run down maneuver. It comes in handy as a quick escape. It isn't built to do damage. Most people ignore the power but I am kind of a fan so you do not need to include it in your build. Hope this helped.

nah, I was thinking about buying it. but that was awhile ago and I didn't because the AH was acting dumb.

hopefully I can find something good for my money. sometimes I feel like I don't know what I'm even looking for.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Sweet Jesus, how? One really good legendary/set item?
I converted a lot of my gold from being one of the first in Hell from vending gems and tomes and a few decent items I found (but not many at all).

$30? You're on drugs
Wait wait.

You think 1 million gold will go for $30?

I hope you're right because I'll be making $100+ in a few weeks if that's the case.
It was $60 per mil, now it's $40. Soon to be a lot less due to Hell/Inferno gold inflation. Especially when RMAH kicks in. I'd imagine there will be a lot more supply than demand, but I could be very wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom