• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

SyNapSe

Banks are very good at their online security in comparison to other industries. Most of their security is done where the end user never has to be involved. Reason why most banks still use username and password.

Corporate accounts almost always have a card or physical authenticator. For my personal account there is a third passphrase you must enter the first time you "register" a computer to their service. Even if someone gets my username/password it would only be useful if used from my PC (or one I have authenticated).

Dahbomb

WOW that Storm Shield is actually really good.

Encountered this yesterday, had to take a screen shot:

sGHSh.jpg

Staab

Can you loan me $6.50?

I understand your point, but smartphones aren't "pretty much free".
OK for the smartphone but if you can buy a game for 40$, you can afford an authenticator at 5bucks, come on.
Or if you really don't, maybe you shouldn't be playing video games, it's an expensive hobby, sadly.

bogg

You got Life Per Spirit Point gear? That boosts your Transcendence so you gain enough more life each time you pop a Mantra or an ability. My main hand weapon has 55 of it so I get 110+ allowing me to heal when pretty nicely. After that, it's mostly a cat/mouse game with the mobs most of the time, aggressive use of Serenity/Ascension and my shield has 35% block on it.

I also have 550 Resist and 30k HP normally, just had a bit of MF on in that.

That's insane, I'm jelly.

I've noticed that crit chance is included in DPS - does that mean it also affects skill damage ?

Can you abuse that passive DH skill that way ?

Xdrive05

AH not working for anyone else? I keep getting weird errors like "you already have 0 out of 0 auctions. Please cancel an action auction and try again"

Dahbomb

I've noticed that crit chance is included in DPS - does that mean it also affects skill damage ?

Can you abuse that passive DH skill that way ?
If you mean the Critical passive then pretty much every DH abuses it. I jumped on the bandwagon as soon as I unlocked it.

You throw one Impale with Overpenetration against a lined up mob from max distance and you can take out like 8 monsters instantly. I have only 5K DPS but when I throw that thing it does over 20K damage.

What kind of passwords are you guys using to be getting hacked?!

edit: If you are using a password that is extremely simple and doesn't have a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters, you deserve to be hacked. Any word found in a dictionary is a bad password.

s7evn

Yeah, it is down again. I wonder how long its going to take to fix these issues.
Memorial Day weekend, I wouldn't expect anything till Tuesday at the earliest. I'm thinking there might be a couple guys working on it, but I'm not expecting much right now.

Blizzard didn't admit that. What they did admit, "We can't stop you from doing stupid shit but if you use an authenticator which we'll sell you at cost IT might save you from all of the stupid shit you're doing."

"If you have the physical or mobile authenticator the chances of you being compromised are very, very small"

"Use them, and enjoy your gaming without someone mucking with your stuff."

That sounds like admitting that authenticators are required to safely play Diablo 3 to me.

People with strong passwords and uncompromised PCs aren't getting hacked

How do you know that? My password was relatively strong and my PC is not compromised.

http://code.google.com/p/winauth/

2-3 min until its activated and working. Use on a different pc/notebook for max security.

I appreciate the link. I don't understand why Blizzard isn't offering this.

OK for the smartphone but if you can buy a game for 40$, you can afford an authenticator at 5bucks, come on.

Indeed I can afford the $6.50, but my point is that I shouldn't have to.

Please tell us your password so we can verify your claim.

I can't, it's my social security number and my birthday combined with my phone number.

SyNapSe

AH problems and now my latency is 290 again :\
I wonder if they are related. I had been getting really good latency the last few days.

"If you have the physical or mobile authenticator the chances of you being compromised are very, very small"

That sounds like admitting that authenticators are required to safely play Diablo 3 to me.

How do you know that? My password was relatively strong and my PC is not compromised.

I appreciate the link. I don't understand why Blizzard isn't offering this.

I can't, it's my social security number and my birthday combined with my phone number.

Yea...yea...what? Why the hell are you using your SS # as a password?

Oh and anytime you use a password w/ personal information, it's not strong, or even relatively strong.

Given the fact that a shitload of unencrypted and encrypted databases have been comprimised i wouldn't be surprised my mail and a list of password is in some dark corner hacker database.

Agkel

I got a legendary belt yesterday, but I'm not sure if I should identify it. Do we know if itemization for leg will be looked at?

Tremis

This man does his research.
Agkel, we will find out monday. But, I wonder if that drop would actually change or not once its already dropped. I guess I would wait if I were you.

Woo-Fu

Banned

Read it again. Saying that X is Y is not saying that nothing else is Y or that X is the only path to Y.

Relative to what? You think your PC isn't compromised. You think that every website you've visited hasn't had a bit of malicious javascript. You think you haven't used that same password anywhere else on the Internet.

By all means, wave your magic wand and create something 100% secure that is 100% free. TANSTAAFL.

Lol, people don't even have to compromise your PC, they just have to do a bit of research to guess your password. You were probably being sarcastic but people do need to realize that passwords need to be as random as possible and need to use every character set the application allows. Take brute force attacks off the table if at all possible.

There is a much better argument you could be making, namely that nobody could steal your account if you didn't need one in the first place. ;)

More importantly, Blizzard has come up with an interesting fix for the Auction House issues:

yP7ex.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
What kind of passwords are you guys using to be getting hacked?!

edit: If you are using a password that is extremely simple and doesn't have a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters, you deserve to be hacked. Any word found in a dictionary is a bad password.

Even a good password is easy to hack. An authenticator is the only way to go. I don't know why people are fighting this so much.

Even a good password is easy to hack. An authenticator is the only way to go. I don't know why people are fighting this so much.

How are they doing it besides pure guess work and as someone above said doing research?

How do you guess a random string of letters/#'s?

naib

I've not reported the strangers on my recent players list since my hack. I assume they had to create a public match to move my gear and some may be innocent. But one guy is obviously up to no good. Every time I check he's using playerA, playerB, playerC, etc and they're all lvl 1. Obviously mules.

edit:
I don't care about a roll-back. But y'all think this dude is worth reporting?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Can you loan me $6.50?

Are you saying you don't have $6.50? With what money did you buy Diablo 3?

How are they doing it besides pure guess work and as someone above said doing research?

They're not guessing. There are any number of exploits that these hackers are using to get to your password.

Agkel

Agkel, we will find out monday. But, I wonder if that drop would actually change or not once its already dropped. I guess I would wait if I were you.

aghhhh ... cant... contain.....URGE TO CLICK!!!

ok, ok, Ill wait :)

Diablo III you are such a shitty game but so fucking addictive. I wonder if all the years in development where spent in researching how to make diablo's loot formula even more addictive than before. I mean it was obviously not spent in the story, balance or the auction house... :/

I love you Diablo, you filthy, soul crushing whore!

Zzoram

Personally I think Banks should offer authenticators for online banking, and same with credit card companies.

I think authenticators are essential for true security. My uncle works for a finance firm and he has an authenticator dongle to log into his computer at work.

All this hacking talk scared me into using an iPod authenticator.

thetrin

So many hacks on GAF alone. That's it, im getting an authenticator for the ipod before i get hacked too.

Why didn't you have an authenticator the minute you installed Diablo?

Woo-Fu

Banned

You don't guess it, you run a brute force password crack against it. Not sure that is even possible with battle.net, though, it should detect those easily and shut you down.

Using upper, lower, numbers, and special characters exponentially? increases the combinations, making brute force attacks less attractive.

That is why you don't just use the same password forever. A brute force attack will eventually crack it if somebody is willing to devote the CPU time to the job.

Zzoram

The authenticator app looks slick.

Do you have to leave it running in the background forever, or can you close it and not have de-sync issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom