• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't guess it, you run a brute force password crack against it. Not sure that is even possible with battle.net, though, it should detect those easily and shut you down.

Using upper, lower, numbers, and special characters exponentially? increases the combinations, making brute force attacks less attractive.

That is why you don't just use the same password forever. A brute force attack will eventually crack it if somebody is willing to devote the CPU time to the job.

See if I would be mad at anything it's the fact that the program doesn't lock you out after 5 attempts or something? Seriously, what the fuck?

chris-013

Already posted ?

4275577_700b.jpg

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You don't guess it, you run a brute force password crack against it. Not sure that is even possible with battle.net, though, it should detect those easily and shut you down.

Using upper, lower, numbers, and special characters exponentially? increases the combinations, making brute force attacks less attractive.

That is why you don't just use the same password forever. A brute force attack will eventually crack it if somebody is willing to devote the CPU time to the job.

Moving all my known passwords into LastPass and changing them to 20 characters (including specials) in length as randomly generated by the LastPass site may have taken me an entire afternoon, but it was time well spent. Even if a site I'm registered to is hacked and the password database stored in plain text, I don't have to worry as it's singular to that site.

Out of curiosity does it usually take a long time for an authenticator to ship? I ordered one last Monday, the thing still hasn't freaking shipped.

Weenerz

Banned
Cannot get your payment info when I try to use the AH. This has been the most frustrating part of the game thus far, the AH is broken constantly.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
The authenticator app looks slick.

Do you have to leave it running in the background forever, or can you close it and not have de-sync issues?
There's no sync. The application and the server both know what the code should be every fifteen seconds.

SleazyC

You got Life Per Spirit Point gear? That boosts your Transcendence so you gain enough more life each time you pop a Mantra or an ability. My main hand weapon has 55 of it so I get 110+ allowing me to heal when pretty nicely. After that, it's mostly a cat/mouse game with the mobs most of the time, aggressive use of Serenity/Ascension and my shield has 35% block on it.

I also have 550 Resist and 30k HP normally, just had a bit of MF on in that.
I have pretty similar stats to you (different build though) and just get mauled deeper in Act 2 regardless. I think I've finally cracked an am shelving my Monk.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Because it wasn't obvious that they existed or were necessary?

I find that really surprising. I'll take your word for it, but it always surprises me how many people don't know about Battle.net account hacks. When WoW hacks were going on, it was huge news in gaming. You didn't have to play WoW to know. You just have to look in the general direction of gaming news.

I'm just saying. It's not a secret.

All the same, I'm glad people are finally doing it. The minute you know one exists, you should put one on your account. There's no reason to take an unnecessary risk.

Considering other MMOs like SWTOR also use authenticators, I would think the process of attaching one to your online game account was rather ubiquitous.

It did sound irate.

Don't be silly. I was just asking a question.

Mashing

En2os.png

Act 4 elite, took like 15 minutes to get her to that health. Then she enraged and now she's impossible to kill.

Yes btw, that's 168 million health.

Multiplayer? I have the guide and it doesn't even have bosses with that much health listed in the guide. Belial for instance has only has 10 million in inferno if you are playing solo. Do champion mobs get bigger increases?

Dahbomb

That looks like 4 player Inferno with an Extra Health elite boss.

Or at least.. I am hoping it is because that shit is ridiculous.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
4 player inferno.

No, not extra health.

Currently stuck at Skeletton King in Hell. He one shot my monk. I guess I should look to trade so dps for more life and strenght.

How multiplayer boost enemies ? Do they get stronger ? More life ? More of them ?

theta11

Multiplayer? I have the guide and it doesn't even have bosses with that much health listed in the guide. Belial for instance has only has 10 million in inferno if you are playing solo. Do champion mobs get bigger increases?

I imagine it's an Act IV mob with Extra Health affix with 4 players ingame. The scaling in with multiple players is broken at the moment and doesn't encourage grouping at all, especially in inferno. It's so much easier to solo than with a group.

Edit: It really doesn't have have Extra health? thats insane.

Dahbomb

I imagine it's an Act IV mob with Extra Health affix with 4 players ingame. The scaling in with multiple players is broken at the moment and doesn't encourage grouping at all, especially in inferno. It's so much easier to solo than with a group.
Agreed... Inferno on paper is harder in groups (the more the harder) than it is solo. Other difficulties are easier with more people on.

How multiplayer boost enemies ? Do they get stronger ? More life ? More of them ?
More of them and they have more health. If you have 4 people then a mob will have a bit under 4 times the normal health. There will be more loot drop of course too.

In Inferno it's fucked up though, if you have 4 people then the mob will have OVER 4 times the normal health.

oh great, i brought two helm from the AH cuz it say timed out for the first one T_T;

I got all timed out items a few hours later :/ Got 3 square rubys i didn't need that way.
submit a ticket through customer service. explain what happened and give the transaction ID's. this happened to me and I got a refund.

I'd be good if the auction house told you how much other peoples' items sold for.
it's usually pretty easy to get an idea. sort by price starting at the lowest prices and scroll until you find the it. you'll know what range something sold for. rare are the occasions when this doesn't work.

Mashing

Goddamn, I knew there was a reason I play solo (well actually, just doing it for my first playthrough). That's just broken as hell.

Dahbomb

Goddamn, I knew there was a reason I play solo (well actually, just doing it for my first playthrough). That's just broken as hell.
Up to Hell you benefit from being in a group as overall the mobs should be weaker than 4 characters (as they are under 400% health).

It's really only Inferno that's broken.

4 player inferno looks fun.

like these guys are doing

:p
I turned on that stream and I got the "You have Died" message.

LOLOLOLOL

Why would you do 4 player Inferno? :/

Don't they have like 430%-440% health? I would restrict myself to 2 player max for Inferno unless I am missing some obvious team synergy stuff.
480% health, I believe.

Up to Hell you benefit from being in a group as overall the mobs should be weaker than 4 characters (as they are under 400% health).

I think them having more health is fine. You just need better weapons.

I have a problem with the difficulty of acquiring said weapons and the enemies attack power.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Why would you do 4 player Inferno? :/

Don't they have like 430%-440% health? I would restrict myself to 2 player max for Inferno unless I am missing some obvious team synergy stuff.
Bored.

Read it again. Saying that X is Y is not saying that nothing else is Y or that X is the only path to Y.

zzzzzzzz

Relative to what? You think your PC isn't compromised. You think that every website you've visited hasn't had a bit of malicious javascript. You think you haven't used that same password anywhere else on the Internet.

Relative to 123 and rD$9jF3iQ0LIn2#aU%zYq, and to the best of my and my PC security software's knowledge my PC isn't compromised. My battle.net password was actually an old one that I haven't used in years, so it's possible that it was still out there somewhere considering the Gawker, PSN, Steam, and other breaches in the past few years (I'm not certain where I've used it before). It's my fault that I didn't change it when I installed Diablo 3, but at the time I didn't think of it. After the reports of compromised accounts emerged I thought I was safe if I didn't join public games. I admit fault, but I think Blizzard should be requiring everyone to use authenticators considering the amount of compromised accounts.

By all means, wave your magic wand and create something 100% secure that is 100% free. TANSTAAFL.

I'm not asking for that, I'm asking for them to provide free (either physical or digital) authenticators to everyone that buys Diablo 3.

Lol, people don't even have to compromise your PC, they just have to do a bit of research to guess your password.

"Stop being obtuse."

I asked this question yesterday but nobody answered. How do you level characters so quick. I've played this game for 27 hours and I'm just at the beginning of Act IV on normal. I really don't want to spend that much time again with every single class. In D2 there was this word I heard of "rushing" where a high level character would keep you alive during higher difficulty boss battles and you would level up quicker. Is this still the case?

Radec

I turned on that stream and I got the "You have Died" message.

LOLOLOLOL

you can see that message in like twice per minute. :D

I asked this question yesterday but nobody answered. How do you level characters so quick. I've played this game for 27 hours and I'm just at the beginning of Act IV on normal. I really don't want to spend that much time again with every single class. In D2 there was this word I heard of "rushing" where a high level character would keep you alive during higher difficulty boss battles and you would level up quicker. Is this still the case?

check the last page (or a couple pages ago if you're using GAF silver's 50 posts/page limit).

you can see that message in like twice per minute. :D
if I want to see that, I can just boot up the final stage of Act II, Inferno of my own game. lol

So I bought two copies this past Friday to have an all night marathon with a old school buddy.

We installed and got it set up great. Had it all maxed out settings on my rig, and he had it running rather smoothly for his MBP (lowered a bunch of settings but the resolution was the highest and had textures still at high)

But his internet was pretty bad. At first (walking up to Old Tristam) it must have been 2000+ms ping. We stopped for a bit. At this point we were both wirelessly connected. Right now, it was unplayable. I'd shoot a dart as a WD, and it would fly out about 5-6 seconds real time later. Movement was delayed, and the characters would warp when it would sync to the server.

We then tried wiring it in to the router. This helped, reduced the ping by around half, down to 1000ms. Still terrible at points though, I would have moments where he was clearing through trash and I would freeze while he was still fighting, and I'd be able to see my actions on his screen, but mine would be a standstill except for my character still making the movements. It could last for up to 5 minutes. Heaven forbid someone couldn't use a wired connection.

Eventually we realized that his brothers were using the PS3 to watch netflix, and it was taking up a huge chunk of the bandwidth.

Regardless, I know for a fact that if the game didn't handle 50% of the work server side, we would have never had that problem. By the time it was past midnight, they finished watching their shows, and we started up again. Lo and behold it was fine, not amazing, just fine. 100ms ping. Occasionally would shoot up to 300 every 10 minutes or so. This was all still wired through ethernet.

The game is so much fun, but it really soured both of our taste for it at first, it was practically unplayable. And all for what? An auction house? I wanted us to get twice as far as we did last night.

Great game, if it didn't have the always online I'd probably give it a 9 or 10, but with that feature and the fact that people with multiple internet users can take such a heavy hit, its probably a 7 or 8 for me right now.

That said, can't wait for act 2.

The waterways in Act II lined with champ packs are fiendish on Hell

Try to kite one and you aggro another

Kite more and there's another one on top of that

It's beautiful

Won

The Demolition Rune for Strafe is pretty funky. Should have tried that one earlier. But seems too unreliable to actually use it.

I had the same problem. I found that there were elites that I simply could not kill, I simply quit out and started the game again. Sure it wiped my progress in that particular area, but it reset the mobs as well - possibly in my favor. Its a bit cheap, but it worked.

theta11

In Inferno it's fucked up though, if you have 4 people then the mob will have OVER 4 times the normal health.

The problem in Inferno isn't even the health, it's that the mobs hit 40% harder which means they pretty much one shot everyone and are barely tankable even with really good gear.

Dahbomb

That doesn't happen anymore but there is a way to get easy EXP. Completing quests give you global EXP which is a fixed amount, a low level character can level up easily this way.

Killer

Banned
En2os.png

Act 4 elite, took like 15 minutes to get her to that health. Then she enraged and now she's impossible to kill.

Yes btw, that's 168 million health.

I think there's some kind of bug when it comes to elites. My group tried to take one down in act 4 on hardcore and it was impossible to take it down because the health bar doesn't go anywhere below half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom