• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not really all that accurate. Let's not put aside that typing in a long password is annoying, there's also sites that only allow a maximal amount of characters. That aside, I would expect many tools to check random combinations of words before trying all different characters. The comic is not really accurate, you should usually be good with a long enough, complex passwords with special characters such as @, whereas combinations of random words are not exactly better to my knowledge (at least I was told something similar by our security expert).

I think pure math, it's true.

If I have an 8 character password, alphanumeric + some punctuation that's what, 2*26+10+10ish = 72 possible characters to use.

That's 8^72 = 1.05e65 possible combinations

If I just say most people know ~200 english workds, and according to google actual number of english words is more int he 400,000+ range, at 4 random words

4^200 = 2.58e120 possible combinations, which is not even funny bigger.

at 4^400000 excel says #NUM so I guess it's even way way bigger.

So the comic is right from the math side, as far as I understand...unless I am missing something?

I would totally use "this is my password" though, for everything.

Narag

To all million+ gold gaffers: are you forgoing leveling up the blacksmith? I've got him up to hell level (the tomes), and it's been a huge waste so far.

Wouldn't bother unless you're in Inferno. Some of the plans are neat but it's a big cost if you craft something worthless.

theta11

Seize the initiative is the only 100% mandatory one IMO. I use one with everything too. Third one can be switched out between transcendance (especially important later since your heals dont scale) or guardians path if you DW.

Transcendence doesn't scale either or rather it scales the same way as all the other heals, with level.

zoukka

just stack some attack speed on your armor.

.9 aps is unnaceptable for any class.

Yes I figured that much, felt like playing in slow motion. I got rid of the 2hander and am back with a 1spear and some mojo goodness. I'd post a shot, if only the fucking screenshot function would work... blank screenshots still.

Kyoufu

To all million+ gold gaffers: are you forgoing leveling up the blacksmith? I've got him up to hell level (the tomes), and it's been a huge waste so far.

First thing I did was max the Blacksmith, then JC. I'm not rich though. Only have 2.6 million.

I'm envious of those that can farm act 4 elites and sell the rares for ridonculous prices.

Tacitus_

Act 3 can give me women? :3

8Rgi1.png

Yes I figured that much, felt like playing in slow motion. I got rid of the 2hander and am back with a 1spear and some mojo goodness. I'd post a shot, if only the fucking screenshot function would work... blank screenshots still.

you don't need to switch weapons if the 2h is capable of more damage. just buy some armor with built-in attack speed.

Real talk, what do people do when they are confronted with an invulnerable minion elite mob in Inferno?

I find every mob to be beatable except them, especially when they teleport/have high speed.

Ultrabum

ya< that comic has a good point, but many password guessers use things like common words instead of all possible characters, also rainbow tables throw all math like that out the window.

Narag

Real talk, what do people do when they are confronted with an invulnerable minion elite mob in Inferno?

I find every mob to be beatable except them, especially when they teleport/have high speed.

If possible on my DH, I'll kite them in narrow paths so I can blow smoke screen and spam NT since it'll travel through everything and hit the leader. If they have the fast modifier, I skip them or reload.

T.O.P

Banned
Well the AH seems to be complete crap atm. All expired and sold items showing with only bits and pieces of ones that are actually still up between them.

Yeah i just wasted 400k in the AH

"Uh look *godlike wapon*" fuckin bought, *error*, retries *already sold*

FUCK

i did this for good ten minutes with 5 different weapons thinking that i was just being too slow for buying things

Then i exit the game, go back, i notice my cash that now stays at 18k... i check mmy stock items...now i have 6 weapon stocked that i just don't freakin need

BE AWARE gaf e_e

Won

Run past them. Even if it's an easy combo in the right environment, it's still a big waste of time.

Went to Microcenter today and that place is fractured in time. They have a copy of Lord of Destruction, alone (as well as a couple Battlechests), for $20 (same price as Battlechest). No vanilla D2 in sight. It's also in it's own plastic security container. At the same time, they don't have any copies of Diablo III, but a few aisles over are GTX 670s.

I should take a picture next time I'm there (the copy of LoD has been there for awhile - not like anyone is going to buy it except as a curiosity.)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm going to need to uninstall this game, do I have to backup something? Where are the heroes stored?

Battle.net servers :3

The problem is that the way they're applying the mathematics to a real-life problem is flawed, not that the actual mathematics is wrong.

If you have 72 possible characters to use and your password is 8 characters long, there's not 8^72 combinations, it's (72)^8. Significantly less.

If you only took 200 words and combine 4 of them (at random, i.e. even the same), you would have (200)^4 combinations, even (400000)^4 is ridiculously little (well, not "ridiculously little", but still not as much safer "theoretically" as one would hope). (4)^200 however is a lot. The problem is that it's a lot easier to just randomly check various combinations of real words, than to test random signs.

I'm starting to wonder if the people that got hacked maybe simply used shitty passwords.

I'm not arguing with the actual mathematics, I'm saying that tools probably don't simply try all characters one after another, but e.g. test combinations of words first (or a list of popular ones, like 1234, which for some reason people still use). They may well be right in the end (and with the actual mathematics), but the approach is obviously not out of question.

Edit:
Sorry for derailing the thread a bit.

Ahhh, you're right.

Random words still looks like a larger number of combinations though, I think the comic is actually pretty spot on. I have a stupid number of random alphanumeric strings for all my passwords, it's really annoying.

On topic, I'm having some trouble in the start of Hell now. should I farm the easy stuff in Hell, or back up to act 4 NM to gear up? I have some pretty crap gear, but I sort of want to avoid the AH.

Torraz

Anyone else's game buggy atm? Trying to do act 4 hell runs but suddenly getting 1-2 shot by everything Oo. I tanked it fine on my monk earlier with 4 people.

slain by Opressor
slain by Opressor
slain by Opressor
slain by Opressor
slain by Opressor
slain by Opressor
slain by Opressor

Who the fuck designed these mobs?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Finally started to farm act 2...

CaLe

Nice... Just bought an item, and it's nowhere to be found now. Very nice.

This Auction House is so well developed.

eek5

Ugh lifesteal isn't working out that great for my DW monk on Inferno. I think I'll go back to a shield.

Get life on hit instead. Life on hit scales to the type of attack. Life steal scales to the difficulty and it gets scaled down 80% in inferno....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom