• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staab

Yes it will. We really dont need this thread to become 20% talking about the game and 80% people posting something that dropped asking us how much its worth. Especially with how much flux is going on with the AH right now. Go check for yourself. Im not trying to be an ass, but cmon.
Totally agree here, stop posting to ask how much cash you can make off of it...
Check the AH, make a guesstimate but please stop with the constant price checks =/
Or maybe create a specific thread for buying/selling random drops on the AH

Yes it will. We really dont need this thread to become 20% talking about the game and 80% people posting something that dropped asking us how much its worth. Especially with how much flux is going on with the AH right now. Go check for yourself. Im not trying to be an ass, but cmon.
+1

Dahbomb

I haven't had a problem comparing prices with my stash items to the ones in the AH. The minor annoyance is when one of my items has been damaged I have to start up the game and fix it before I can see its stats again.

I basically input the class, the weapon/armor, the level, raririty (usually rares) and then the important stats plus socket if there is one. The search narrows it down to under 20 and then I compare stats to mine plus the price. I then go Wal-Mart price to have it sell early. I actually only have like 4 items up on the AH, all my other stuff is sold already.

The other problem I have is that stuff that is recently sold, I can't check its sold price. Those are the prices I am actually interested in because that's the price you can afford to go over a bit. It's hard to tell if something is a bit overpriced but you can get a clue with the time it has been on the market.

Hero

So are people now saying that DH's in Inferno should just go for highest dps possible and screw vitality/resistances for survival? I just got all my resistances up to around 500. :(

I really have to agree with this. I could understand moreso early on when items just may not have existed in the AH, but it should be relatively easy to just get a good general idea. My thought is that people are just posting stuff up as a not so subtle bragfest.

Sophia

As long as the auction house continues to be a pile of dog shit, I expect we'll keep seeing those posts. Plus it's easier to trade with GAF members anyhow. =P

Revoh

I didn't know that resist all was the stat to look forward on inferno. I guess that's why my barbarian dies so quickly, I have pretty high str and vit but low res.
It took me all weekend but finally finished act 1 inferno.

th3dude

Not a price check question but a general AH question...

I'm a slower player than most. Just cleared normal for the first time.

At what point should I start really looking into selling items I find? I assume 99 percent of the stuff I find in normal or nm is vender fodder, but wondering at what point I should really start paying attention before I vendor something.

Seik

Banned
I have a trick: Sell everything rare/magic you have for peanuts (pricy peanuts, but you know what I mean), it will go fast and you'll make money.

Everything I get that have some potential for the AH, I sell for 15-20k.

'POOF!' Gone and I'm happy, yes I may lose some golds but its just fake money for a game so who cares.

Ultrabum

So are people now saying that DH's in Inferno should just go for highest dps possible and screw vitality/resistances for survival? I just got all my resistances up to around 500. :(

has it helped u die less?

Has it lowered your dps, or were u able to keep it up?

Sophia

Not a price check question but a general AH question...

I'm a slower player than most. Just cleared normal for the first time.

At what point should I start really looking into selling items I find? I assume 99 percent of the stuff I find in normal or nm is vender fodder, but wondering at what point I should really start paying attention before I vendor something.

If you see something that's got good stats (anything with "All Resist" is something you consider, anything with basic stat + vitality as well) then you should start paying attention to it. You can easily have a lot of money by Hell if you check.

It doesn't have resist all stat on it so it's pretty much not going to be bought by any Barbarian.

Im not sure i agree. Youve got the equivalent of roughly 200 vit on there, plus ridiculously good dps stats.

RA has diminishing returns so even if it had 50 RA, if youre already stacking it in other slots it wont make a huge difference.

Plus you dont always need Resist for every encounter

I agree. Generally speaking, it's easy to get an idea of pricing based on:

1.) similar items (you can filter to see all similar items)

2.) sorting by buy-out to see what's selling and at what prices

It's really not hard at all. I'm surprised to see so many price checks, to be honest. I've never needed a price check. Yea, the AH can be a bit unwildly at first, but with a little time, it's easy enough to navigate.

I have a trick: Sell everything rare/magic you have for peanuts (pricy peanuts, but you know what I mean), it will go fast and you'll make money.

Everything I get that have some potential for the AH, I sell for 15-20k.

'POOF!' Gone and I'm happy, yes I may lose some golds but its just fake money for a game so who cares.

Thats a terrible trick. Earlier i bought something someone listed for 20k, sold in <30 minutes for 500k.

Why not just think about it for 5 minutes?

Totakeke

I thought my question was fine, I didn't have any experience using a shield so it's a perfectly legitimate question which I already checked the AH for a reference but still came out unsure.

It's not like there's a lot else to talk about in this game is there? Loot is a big part of the game. Would you like to hear more about how someone is having problems doing Belial in Hell? 80% is an exaggeration and you know it.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Auction house strategy is more important than boss strategy for progression really.

This isn't WoW and some of you are culture shocked. A lot of AH discussion is going to happen.

People should look first, but if they are unsure they shouldn't get bitched at for asking.

I guess you could ignore if people don't type what they think it should go for.

MrDaravon

Couple of questions (Level 21 DH, complete Diablo noob)

-How does XP work in multiplayer? Do only people that hit a monster get XP, or does everyone get XP and maybe the player who did the finishing blow gets the full amount with everyone else getting a % of that, or?

-On your stats screen it says that your Damage/DPS stat includes crit %, so is the DPS just an average then? I was using a 2h bow (with something like 25 damage and +11 dex) with a quiver since as far as I can tell looking around online that seems to be the way to go? Anyway I just found the first 1h crossbow I've seen since the beginning of the game that looked like it was an upgrade (was something like 28 damage but no dex stat) and when I equipped it my overall damage/DPS stat went up by about 10, but in-game I'm having a hard time telling if it's actually an increase. I believe that 1h crossbows fire faster than 2h bows (I think?), so I understand that my overall DPS may be higher even if my per shot is weaker, but is that damage stat also factoring in an average of critical hits so there may be some fluctuation there if my crit% is low (which mine is)?

-On a related note, I feel like I'm playing DH wrong or something; trying to look online for help and I'm mostly finding Inferno run tips. Right now I'm still only on Normal in Act 2 and haven't died yet, bu I feel like maybe I'm making it harder on myself? Right now I'm using:

Entangling Shot with the first rune upgrade - I'm fine with the lower damage per shot because I like slowing down and hitting 4 enemies at a time, between that and my templar nothing usually gets near me. Online though I'm seeing people mostly recommending Hungering Arrow with Cinder at my level, but I feel like Elemental Arrow is already meeting that need for me. Also saw a few people talking about Bolos, but I don't care for those, and they seem promising damage/aoe wise but the time delay I imagine will probably fuck you hard on later difficulties.

Elemental Arrow - I just got this and switched to this because everyone says it's incredible; I should point out I'm not 24 yet so I don't have the lightning rune for it, but right now I'm not super impressed with the base level of it. Up until this I was using Rapid Fire with the slowdown rune, and I'm using the passive where I do an extra 15% to slowed enemies, and that seemed to be fine?

Caltrops with Torturous Ground rune - Basically either my oh shit fallback, or I'll drop it pre-emptively if it looks like enemies might get to me.

Companion with Spider rune - No reason not to just have him out at all times, right? Also I just unlocked the spider which if I'm reading the description right is the same as the raven but with slowdown properties so I switched to that.

Have two Passive abilities unlock, using the one where I do 15% more damage to slowed enemies, and the one where I do additional damage if no enemies are within a certain radius of me.

Outside of those at least at this point I'm really using much else. I'm not fully understanding the purpose of Smoke Screen; even post-patch people are saying it's key, but at least at my level I'm not getting it. On Inferno does the 1.5 seconds (with that rune) of not being visible to enemies make that much of a difference, and I'm just nowhere near that point? I also just unlocked Multishot, it seems alright but seeing people talk about it online I feel like I'm missing something with that one.

At this point should since I'm on normal and haven't even died yet should I really even be worrying about this stuff? Gear-wise I'm focusing primarily on dexerity.

Anyone? Thread moves super fast :(

Also what do you guys do with shitty blues and yellows you pick up? I'm already sitting on multiple stacks of essence and whatever the yellow one is (tooths?). Should I still be breaking those down, or should I just sell them to the vendors at this point? I have had some success just dumping stuff off at the auction house by listing a buyout price at 2-3x what the vendor will give and that stuff usually goes very quickly; obviously not doing that for anything good and it works, but having to drop out of the game to keep doing that is annoying.

Tacitus_

Auction house strategy is more important than boss strategy for progression really.

This isn't WoW and some of you are culture shocked. A lot of AH discussion is going to happen.

People should look first, but if they are unsure they shouldn't get bitched at for asking.

There's a difference asking what a level 30 magic 2h should go for, or maybe a basic magic 2h in general, compared to items that may not exist in the AH or that have stats that you can filter.
First step should always be checking the AH and if that doesn't help, then asking gaf for price trends.

Really happy with the blog post from Jay this morning, though I'm disappointed the Legendary buffs aren't coming until the PVP patch, as I don't expect to see that before August.

So I haven't played this in more than a week, and even then for all of 6 hours, and my friend is telling me that you need gear from the next difficulty tier to be able to complete your current tier, unless you are a wizard and use a certain exploit, which has resulted in everyone needing to use the AH to get the gear necessary to progress at whatever price the wizards care to charge.

So am I completely confused, or should I just wait for patches and stick this on the back burner until the release drought at the end of this year? ;p

spirity

Really happy with the blog post from Jay this morning, though I'm disappointed the Legendary buffs aren't coming until the PVP patch, as I don't expect to see that before August.

I think I'll be done with the game by then tbh. Can't see me playing this for years like I did D2.

sorry, but I disagree. This isn't like TF2 where there's no clear current market value for things and people are actively trying to shark you. the AH provides an often times very clear understanding of what's of value and what isn't. it's not perfect, but sorting by price after filtering with the stats your item has will show you the good or bad news. It will show you what people are pricing at and the range at which people have recently bought it at. through that you can decide whether it's worth trying to sell or just scrapping.

Same, I find it quite educational for several reasons.

I wouldn't be entirely opposed to having that collected in one place, but I don't mind having it here either.
it's not educational at all other than helping people understand WHY something is valued high (like all resist features and such). showing off good shit is cool, but the reality is that price checks are generally lazy.

Took a few days break after I beat normal mode.
Reads the title of this thread.
Decides I should get an authenticator.
Sets it up.
Logs in.
Everything gone off my toon.
Too late.

woober

Welp, my account got hacked and I only play with friends. Lost all my equips, stash, inventory. Oddly enough my collectors items got duplicated in my stash.

Good thing I haven't invested much into my character, otherwise I'd be pissed. Can't imagine playing inferno only to lose everything you have.

Tacitus_

So I haven't played this in more than a week, and even then for all of 6 hours, and my friend is telling me that you need gear from the next difficulty tier to be able to complete your current tier, unless you are a wizard and use a certain exploit, which has resulted in everyone needing to use the AH to get the gear necessary to progress at whatever price the wizards care to charge.

So am I completely confused, or should I just wait for patches and stick this on the back burner until the release drought at the end of this year? ;p

In short, he's wrong.
For a longer answer, melee classes need either extremely good rolled items from the current act or allright items from the next to progress in Inferno. Before Inferno and endgame, it doesn't matter at all.

Your friend is completely exaggerating the issues. Just play and have fun, and if you aren't having fun stop and wait for a patch.

I'm in Hell with my main, have a couple of alts going in Normal and Nightmare, and I'm having a blast.

UberTag

As someone else on Normal and selling on the AH regularly, you should be actively looking to sell the following things even that early in the game:

1) Legendaries/Uniques - even crappy low level ones with poor stats command a decent price on the AH

2) Amulets/Rings - plenty of these will drop and will command decent gold on the AH with the right stat focus (high primary stat, high damage, attack speed, Magic Find, Gold Find). I will often buy these off vendors when they're rolled high and flip 'em on the AH for anywhere from 2-3 times their purchase price.

3) Gear you've bought on the AH for your character previously and no longer need. If I'm phasing out previous auction buys, I check what I purchased for them, what they're currently going for and seeing if I can get at least my purchase price back (i.e. so 115% more than what I paid to break even; more if the market will allow for it).

Anything else that drops typically gets vendored although I was also flipping gems on the AH prior to commodity trading getting shut down. I don't waste time auctioning off magic/rare gear for peanuts (i.e. 1-2K) because it's not worth wasting the auction slot on cheap stuff. Would rather buy a ring/amulet off a vendor and get at least 5K profit for doing that.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
It's really not hard at all. I'm surprised to see so many price checks, to be honest. I've never needed a price check. Yea, the AH can be a bit unwildly at first, but with a little time, it's easy enough to navigate.

It seems to be more common sense, similar to asking if games will be cheaper on Steam later. Therefore, its irritable. Heh.

The tools of what you need are there right in game. Compare it to other similar items. What I do is put the level requirement in for any weapon. Even if the stats suck, but I realize its damage is good. I'll throw it up for a few k. Far below and uncut. It will be bought just because it is cheap.

la_briola

Someone give me an appraisal on the price of this shield as I have no clue. AH seems to tell me it might worth a 300-500k but I kinda doubt it?

sUmqY.png

low armor and low block value, I don't think it is worth much.

Won

No. You should do whatever works best for you.

Number45

In short, he's wrong.
For a longer answer, melee classes need either extremely good rolled items from the current act or allright items from the next to progress in Inferno. Before Inferno and endgame, it doesn't matter at all.
Yup, the amount of people that don't understand that someone has had to have progressed in order for that later gear to be available is amazing. That said, the situation has been made worse by the amount of people that were able to abuse certain mechanics to progress right through to the end game. :/

Opiate

I'll be trying a Shadow Power Gloom build extensively tonight -- both in the general "is it viable in inferno?" sense and in the specific technicalities of how the damage reduction is calculated and if it has any percievable effect on threat/aggro. And probably see if it stacks linearly with the DR from Sentry.

I'll report back when I Have more info. Also, congratulations Kin on your first real payday.

Yup, the amount of people that don't understand that someone has had to have progressed in order for that later gear to be available is amazing. That said, the situation has been made worse by the amount of people that were able to abuse certain mechanics to progress right through to the end game. :/

My guess is that it would have happened anyway, eventually, given more time. What was accomplished in days through mechanical exploitation would have been accomplished in weeks through "legitimate" play. Somone would have progressed, that someone would have sold loot on the AH which would allow another person to progress, who could then sell his loot to allow others to progress, and so forth.

Zeppelin

Reading that blog post makes me realise I'm done with this game. It's been a fun ride so far and I've sunk more than 70 hours into my DH. But all my drops are shit and I don't stand a chance on Inferno. I doubt I'll ever be able to find gear that stops me from being one shotted by elite packs there so I really don't see the point.

Oh, and I haven't found a single Legendary so far. But I guess that's good since Blizzard for some fucked up reason doesn't seem to want them to be good anyway. Like seriously, what is the point of a rare as fuck item that isn't good? How is it fun to find really rare crap? I don't understand that line of reasoning at all.

Tacitus_

That someone being ranged classes :p
They have the chance of going class cannon and counting on skill to kite stuff to death. Melee has to go toe to toe so they need the required gear in order to progress.

It seems to be more of a common sense thing, similar to asking if games will be cheaper on Steam later. Therefore, its irritable. Heh.

The tools of what you need are there right in game. Compare it to other similar items. What I do is put the level requirement in for any weapon. Even if the stats suck, but I realize its damage is good. I'll throw it up for a few k. Far below and uncut. It will be bought just because it is cheap.

same.

what we could use more than anything else is a decent tutorial on how to maximize AH searching and pricing. I might just develop a video of that if nobody else does.

fish for people and they'll always have to come back to you to eat; teach them how to fish and they'll feed themselves for a lifetime.

spirity

Reading that blog post makes me realise I'm done with this game. It's been a fun ride so far and I've sunk more than 70 hours into my DH. But all my drops are shit and I don't stand a chance on Inferno. I doubt I'll ever be able to find gear that stops me from being one shotted by elite packs there so I really don't see the point.

Oh, and I haven't found a single Legendary so far. But I guess that's good since Blizzard for some fucked up reason doesn't seem to want them to be good anyway. Like seriously, what is the point of a rare as fuck item that isn't good? How is it fun to find really rare crap? I don't understand that line of reasoning at all.

I think calling them "legendary" was a mistake and created certain expectations - understandably so.

Diablo 3 Game design update

"On to items! One of the biggest pieces of feedback we&#8217;ve received regarding items is the relative power of Legendaries. This isn&#8217;t a simple issue to address, as it involves some intentional design decisions as well as expectations built by other games. First and foremost, Legendary items are not designed to necessarily be the best items in the game. They&#8217;re just one additional type of item as you level up, and they are not meant to be the primary items you&#8217;re chasing at the end-game. They can -- and should -- be exciting to find, but they&#8217;re not supposed to serve as the single driving force of the item hunt. Rare items, for example, have the possibility to roll up &#8220;perfect&#8221; stats that can, if you&#8217;re lucky, outpace the predetermined stats of a Legendary. That&#8217;s by design."

"To help correct misconceptions of the actual stat budgets allocated to items, we&#8217;ll be exposing item levels (ilvl) of 60+ items in patch 1.0.3. Comparing an ilvl 63 blue to an ilvl 60 Legendary will hopefully make a bit more sense afterward. In addition, we&#8217;re planning to just straight-out buff Legendary items in a future patch, likely the PvP patch (1.1). These buffs will not be retroactive, and so they&#8217;ll only apply to new Legendary items found after the patch. In the long term, we&#8217;re looking at simply expanding the affix diversity and unique bonuses of Legendary items, and we&#8217;ll be able to share more details after the PvP patch."

Opiate

For what it's worth, I already feel this game will have more longevity for me than Diablo 2 did. I played D2 off and on for something like a total of 9 months to 1 year as my "main game" in aggregate over the course of its lifespan; comparing early Diablo 2 to early Diablo 3, I vastly prefer the latter. All bets are off if Blizzard destroys the game with bad patches, of course.

That someone being ranged classes :p
They have the chance of going class cannon and counting on skill to kite stuff to death. Melee has to go toe to toe so they need the required gear in order to progress.

Yes, this seems to be the case. Melee classes are more gear reliant. It's a problem, but I don't feel it's the world's worst problem (it is alreayd being overcome 2 weeks after release) and not one that is easily fixed. Melee classes are going to be hit; it's as simple as that, and I don't see a way around it.

For what it's worth, I already feel this game will have more longevity for me than Diablo 2 did. I played D2 off and on for something like a total of 1 year as my "main game" in aggregate; comparing early Diablo 2 to early Diablo 3, I vastly prefer the latter. All bets are off if Blizzard destroys the game with bad patches, of course.

You know, I'm inclined to agree with this, particularly given the promised changes. That's pretty much my entire wish list for this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom