• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
why is it that everyone in this thread is level 60? im level 21 now on Act 2 - its amazing how far you guys are ahead of everything. im barely scratching the surface of this game.

i see like DPS at like 20K, mines at like 68 or something!

why is it that everyone in this thread is level 60? im level 21 now on Act 2 - its amazing how far you guys are ahead of everything. im barely scratching the surface of this game.

i see like DPS at like 20K, mines at like 68 or something!

apparently less than 2% are level 60/inferno. I think there's only a handful of us up there atm. we just happen to be the ones that run our mouths the most.

The Legendary weapons are easily fixed, the problem is because weapon damage is everything you need to Elemental Damage and Damage%+ modifiers on the weapon or it isn't worth shit. Unfortunately alot of legendaries have 1-2 roll on random modifiers which means the odds of getting those 2 is super low compared to the amount of rolls done on blue items. Legendaries need to have at least 1 of those damage stats fixed on weapons.

For me, the problems with itemization are so much more fundamental than just making the numbers bigger on the legendaries. In their efforts to diversify stat builds in Diablo 2 from "str till you can use archon plate, dex until max block, the rest in vit" they have laughably made the distribution of stats even simpler because there is nothing else of any real interest on the items. Primary stat, vitality and that really big DPS number is all you need. Especially that DPS number. It's too important and it shatters any sense of progression besides getting a larger DPS number on your weapon.

They talk about expanding the affix pool in the long run, but the kind of changes that they would have to make to make it anywhere near as interesting as D2+LoD+1.10 are of expansion pack selling magnitude. I'm already to the point where I'm not really looking forward to playing anymore because the only advances that will be made are in bigger numbers. Build diversity in inferno is a complete joke. You don't get to step outside the lines unless you like dying a lot, and that really sucks because the items don't push you in any particular direction and so many of the skills on so many classes are just bad.

If any single skill or rune feels absolutely required to progress, it means that skill is working against our goal of encouraging build diversity

Taken straight from their game update post. This is really laughable to me. Watch any barbarian who doesn't use a cheesy weapon throw build (which is about 99.9% of them). Every single one will have revenge+provocation on their bar. Every single Wizard uses venom hydra. Every single demon hunter uses smoke screen and elemental arrow+nether tentacles. Almost every wizard build is shoehorned into boring self-buff skills like magic weapon and energy armor+force armor because nothing else compares or is useful in the slightest.

As soon as something outside the box shows up, the nerf it into the dirt. I mentioned a barbarian weapon throw build earlier. I saw a video of this undergeared dude solo inferno Diablo with a weapon throw build. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if the nerf boogeyman wasn't hiding around the corner waiting to hit it with the nerf bat. The wizard forums are full of half-joking, half-serious posts about venom hydra being the next thing to get nerfed. Barbarians are equally leery of the status of revenge as the pillar of their survivability in inferno mob packs.

Players should not be fucking afraid that their skills are going to be nerfed just because they are effective. Of all the things that got the nerf bat, the only one that really needed it was critical mass for the wizard. Shit was bananas, but the 4700 FA build, smokescreen, and yes, even the actually bugged quickening builds for monks were not OP and were not gamebreaking. Perhaps smokescreen needed something, and they hit it pretty hard, but luckily DH damage is absurdly high compared to every other class so they're OK without it. Better watch out DHs, your crit scaling is gonna get it next!

Unicorn

I'm starting to see the price dropout of a lot of items. Tiny differences in Armor and attrib allocation can be the difference of a 100k item or a 1k item. If my old chest armor had 20 more int it would be worth 100x more. WTF?

Unicorn

Taken straight from their game update post. This is really laughable to me. Watch any barbarian who doesn't use a cheesy weapon throw build (which is about 99.9% of them). Every single one will have revenge+provocation on their bar. Every single Wizard uses venom hydra. Every single demon hunter uses smoke screen and elemental arrow+nether tentacles. Almost every wizard build is shoehorned into boring self-buff skills like magic weapon and energy armor+force armor because nothing else compares or is useful in the slightest.

I do not use Hydras. Also Frost Armor with 100% weapon damage return fire is amazing. I don't know about the other classes, but Wizards definitely have options.

psy18

Just barely managed to solo the butcher on inferno with my monk.
Now act 2 is just silly. The mosquitoes I can handle but the elites/champions are just too much.

381res
9210dmg
40k+ health

should I up the res/dps or start looking for life on hit/regen stuff?

No. Terrible story spoilers:

"Our bretheren" instead of "my bretheren" implies that Leah is one of Azmodan's bretheren -- which she eventually does become. And one can reasonably infer that Diablo intended for all 7 to be trapped in the soulstone so that Adria could release Diablo as the super demon to rule them all -- that is Diablo's "trap."

It's all terrible regardless, of course.

Or he's speaking for the demonic host instead of just himself.

You're really looking too much into this.

Negator

Ooh, What's this?

5fCsS.jpg

Oh. :(

Xvavr.jpg

Alex

Players should not be fucking afraid that their skills are going to be nerfed just because they are effective.

They should if they're so effective it's foolish to take anything else, which is what the case was with this lot. How you're arguing that they're killing build variety by removing required skills doesn't make any sense.

I do agree though that despite changes that everyone is centered too tightly into certain archetypes. However we're on 1.0 here, of an online RPG, from a developer notorious for constant waves of balance tweaking so I'm sure they'll patching and hotfixing a lot of skills in various ways going forward. They've already said as much.

Dahbomb

Every single demon hunter uses smoke screen and elemental arrow+nether tentacles.
SS yes but no to the other one. I have seen a lot of people use different stuff for their Hatred move ranging from Impale, Chakram, Spike Traps, Rapid Fire, Multishot and other types of Elemental Arrows like the Electric one. Usually people have 2 types of Hatred moves as well.

SS, Shadow Power, Mark of Death and Preparation are staples for DH no matter the difficulty plus that critical attack passive and the archery/steady aim bonuses.

I come back a week later and Smoke screen is 1 second long now?!

Level 54 DH abandoned.
HAHAHA... it's still good though.

branny

Build diversity in inferno is a complete joke.
I completely agree with your entire post, and I think this snippet summarizes everything wrong with Diablo III at the moment, whether it be the crappy itemization, unbalanced skills, or enemy bullshit. Dahbomb's usage of the word "staples" kind of makes me depressed--I was expecting things to be a little more free-form. With better gear, I'm sure you could have more leeway for interesting Inferno builds, but after that whole spiel about "optimal" vs. "viable", it's just sad.

I completely agree with your entire post, and I think this snippet summarizes everything wrong with Diablo III at the moment, whether it be the crappy itemization, unbalanced skills, or enemy bullshit.

The problem is what they already said. They intended constant health drain, but instead have constant spike damage. Everyone has to build to tank or avoid spike currently, which is not what was intended.

Psi

My wizard uses arcane hydra because of temporal flux and the only self buff I use is storm armor and that is solely for scramble.

This got me to act 2 Inferno:

la_briola

I do not use Hydras. Also Frost Armor with 100% weapon damage return fire is amazing. I don't know about the other classes, but Wizards definitely have options.

He is talking about inferno. Your "return fire" does not help you if you die after 1 hit.
2-3 when force armor and diamond skin is up

Venom Hydra is fucking amazing. It will be nerfed too, I guess.

Alex

I read something about Venom Hydra was bugged, but I'm not sure if that's correct, something about it stacking too much damage currently.

Deadly

Is the increase with magic weapon that good? I switched it out with Blizzard once but I really like the snare in order kite mobs =/

Dahbomb

I completely agree with your entire post, and I think this snippet summarizes everything wrong with Diablo III at the moment, whether it be the crappy itemization, unbalanced skills, or enemy bullshit. Dahbomb's usage of the word "staples" kind of makes me depressed--I was expecting things to be a little more free-form. With better gear, I'm sure you could have more leeway for interesting Inferno builds, but after that whole spiel about "optimal" vs. "viable", it's just sad.
Yeah but all that stuff is fixable and they have already said that they are going to fix it.

There are staple moves/runes for DH but there is considerably flexibility in her other spells that you can pick. A lot of Hatred generation moves are very viable because generally speaking they aren't that much different from one another in terms of being OP or underpowered, all have their uses although most people seem to gravitate towards Hungering Arrows. Then the "utility" slot is usually different too, some people like the Bat Companion while others like Rain of Vengeance because it's a free move while others like to have an extra Hatred move (one for crowds one for single targets).

She has a few useless moves. Fan of Knives is right now crippled by having a 10s cooldown, if it didn't have that much cooldown it would be pretty good. I think the bigger problem is that some runes on certain skills are just FLAT OUT better than others. Why the FUCK would anyone pick the Hatred generation rune on Smoke Screen after the nerf... Similarly Thunderball Bola Shot is pretty much useless in Hell and above stuns are worthless at those difficulties (although that rune in NM and Normal is OP).

Kaper

If you're not using venom hydra you are severely nerfing yourself, heh. Frost armor is also next to useless on inferno since most everything can one shot you past act 1.

Dahbomb

Better watch out DHs, your crit scaling is gonna get it next!
If you are talking about the critical bonus ability then I am already expecting it to be nerfed.

It's too good and should be a staple for Inferno DH's. You are missing out on a SHIT TON of DPS by not picking this passive.

zon

Does anyone else have an item/items on their auction list that they did not put up themselves?

I'd say I've been hacked, but I haven't lost anything. I doubt someone would hack my account just to move an item over to my character and put it up for sale...

theta11

They really don't. The amount of viable builds for higher levels of inferno are extremely limited to two maybe three builds. The builds themselves have variations but at the core there are very few. Frost Armor is pointless in Inferno because sure you'll return 100% weapon damage when you are hit once usually means you are dead. You have to use energy armor if you want to survive more than 1 hit. And because DPS is strictly based on weapon damage you have to use Magic Armor. Hydra is one of our highest damage abilities with almost no maintenance. Put it down and let it go to work.

Won

I use neither Smoke Screen nor Nether Tentacles on my DH. :O

If anyone's curious here's Blizzard's response to my support ticket after my account was compromised (it took less than 24 hours):

diablorollback.jpg

I'll be losing two levels and all items/gold I've gotten since level 50, getting back $82,000 gold, and hopefully getting back all of the items I had when I was level 50. That's still a couple hours and lots of gold lost, but I can live with it. Hopefully they'll roll it back soon.

Very nice that they block RMAH on once rolled back chars if you do not use the security token.

Come on Blizzard, go a step further. Make RMAH authenticator exclusive for all players. It is much needed.

la_briola

Magic Missile with the Seeker rune is amazing for Act III (Inferno) Underbride farming.
Plant the Venom Hydra and shoot around corners. Works very good for me. Also great for kiting.

theta11

For me, the problems with itemization are so much more fundamental than just making the numbers bigger on the legendaries. In their efforts to diversify stat builds in Diablo 2 from "str till you can use archon plate, dex until max block, the rest in vit" they have laughably made the distribution of stats even simpler because there is nothing else of any real interest on the items. Primary stat, vitality and that really big DPS number is all you need. Especially that DPS number. It's too important and it shatters any sense of progression besides getting a larger DPS number on your weapon.

They talk about expanding the affix pool in the long run, but the kind of changes that they would have to make to make it anywhere near as interesting as D2+LoD+1.10 are of expansion pack selling magnitude. I'm already to the point where I'm not really looking forward to playing anymore because the only advances that will be made are in bigger numbers. Build diversity in inferno is a complete joke. You don't get to step outside the lines unless you like dying a lot, and that really sucks because the items don't push you in any particular direction and so many of the skills on so many classes are just bad.

There are much more problems with items. There's too much RNG, Doing gear runs in D2 you could almost guarantee you'll find something you could use after a few runs. You'll actually gear yourself better sitting infront of the AH buying and reselling and that's a serious problem.

la_briola

There are much more problems with items. There's too much RNG, Doing gear runs in D2 you could almost guarantee you'll find something you could use after a few runs. You'll actually gear yourself better sitting infront of the AH buying and reselling and that's a serious problem.

We know that the RMAH is coming. Everything makes perfect sense, sad but true. Its brilliant for them, shit for us.

The AH system and interface is giving me aids.

This. They must to a ton of work, before they can release the RMAH.

That is why us barbarians will always be weak. Never get a chance to be strong.

Speaking of Barbs does anyone have any tips for Hell Act 2 and beyond? The story bosses and trash are fine but I get wrecked by some of the champs late in act 2 no matter what combo of skills I use (sometimes I just run away, stack all of my 2min cooldowns like earthquake, berserker, call of the ancients, run back in and blow them all in one go. Even then with Ignore pain rolling I get rolled sometimes). Yeah yeah I know learn 2 play etc.. but I'm 58 with 30k hp 4.3k dps (crap 30-40 resists though) and I didn't think it would get this crazy till inferno.

Dahbomb

AH is pretty much a game by itself.

Theta is completely right, if you are dedicated enough then you can literally just sell your current gear for like 110-150% profit, then buy gear that is reasonably priced but is better than your previous gear, sell that again for 110-150% profit and keep doing it until you are ready for Inferno.

It will take a few days of "playing the AH" and following bids feverishly but it's bound to pay off in the end. And you have to be mindful about the AH tax, you might think you are making a profit but the tax may mean otherwise.

Hmm so I'm at the point (along with Bogg aka Oddo) where act1 of inferno is almost trivial. Get the odd tricky elite group, but generally it's pretty straight forward.

But Act2 is virtually impossible.

Hmm.

inky

The AH system and interface is giving me aids.

It really needs a complete overhaul. Needs more search options, needs concede button for items you don't want anymore, needs better organizing of your items/bids, needs to let you change your timers, need to allow you to organize your stash from it, needs a better fucking scrollbar that doesn't skip items, needs better sorting options for completed/outbid items... I could go on and on.

Bakphoon

Very nice that they block RMAH on once rolled back chars if you do not use the security token.

Come on Blizzard, go a step further. Make RMAH authenticator exclusive for all players. It is much needed.

I agree with this. That is the only way they can be sure after the many hacks that seem to happen.

Tacitus_

Speaking of Barbs does anyone have any tips for Hell Act 2 and beyond? The story bosses and trash are fine but I get wrecked by some of the champs late in act 2 no matter what combo of skills I use (sometimes I just run away, stack all of my 2min cooldowns like earthquake, berserker, call of the ancients, run back in and blow them all in one go. Even then with Ignore pain rolling I get rolled sometimes). Yeah yeah I know learn 2 play etc.. but I'm 58 with 30k hp 4.3k dps (crap 30-40 resists though) and I didn't think it would get this crazy till inferno.

If you're going the cooldown route.. rune ignore pain to have life steal and pop that with 100% dmg berserker and free earthquake. The only thing that will kill you when those are up are shielded/invul minion packs since you can't steal life from invulnerable monsters.
Hmm so I'm at the point (along with Bogg aka Oddo) where act1 of inferno is almost trivial. Get the odd tricky elite group, but generally it's pretty straight forward.

Hmm.

Yeah, me too. It really scales like a wall after Act 1.

Hmm.
I'm at this point myself, there's no easy answer. We really need tips from Gaf members thriving in inferno

I love posts like these. Not because of "how much for this thingy I found?" but becaue they are straight bragging.

not my item. I just saw it in the AH and thought others would want to see the awesomesauce.

speaking only as a Wizard, I think it's bullshit that I basically have to equip Force Armor and Diamond skin by default. Just to survive a couple of hits. 1/3 of my slots should *have to be* dedicated to defense.

I'd like to see some Inferno wizards making use of Arcane Torrent and Time Warp. those are 2 skills i've never really used in the game and haven't seen anyone else using either.

That said, there's plenty of variety in passive builds. Oh, and you're much more free to do what you want when you're playing multiple people.

It really needs a complete overhaul. Needs more search options, needs concede button for items you don't want anymore, needs better organizing of your items/bids, needs to let you change your timers, need to allow you to organize your stash from it, needs a better fucking scrollbar that doesn't skip items, needs better sorting options for completed/outbid items... I could go on and on.
+1

branny

They need to make Arcane Torrent not complete garbage for people to want to use it. And I bet the next Wizard nerf is going to be removing the invulnerability of your mirror images with Fracture. =\

edit: After Venom Hydra, anyway. Obviously they're going to kill that. And then Arcane Hydra for the Temporal Flux Orbers. Maybe they'll just nerf all three at once.

So I have been wearing some boots with 184 armor and as well as a little bit of strength and intelligence, and I bought a pair of boots with 477 armor and 55 resist all, yet I did a little test and I'm taking pretty much the same amount of damage with the new boots as I do with the old. What's up with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom