• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
32k hp, 22k dps and 150-200ish resists on a Wizard. Stuck at Belial - tried skipping to act 3 but monsters there kill me instantly.

As I'm tired of farming act 1, I'd like to know, what skill builds would my fellow magic users suggest.
Here's mine - http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#alOQXR!dUY!caYZaa
It got me "safely" through act 2, so I thought it's ok, but I guess I was wrong...

are you in Inferno?

If so, I was in your position a few days ago. I can tell you directly that you can't do enough DPS damage to stay relevant in the fight. I assume you can't even make it to part 2 of that fight with 22k dps and 32k hp.

I just picked up a weapon that boosted my dps to 51,000. I haven't tried Belial again yet, but hopefully I'll get closer to beating him now. Or, at least getting to the second part of that fight. even then, I'm not sure how I'll survive. Others on GAF with similar DPS are also stuck on him.

theta11

Yes, this seems to be the case. Melee classes are more gear reliant. It's a problem, but I don't feel it's the world's worst problem (it is alreayd being overcome 2 weeks after release) and not one that is easily fixed. Melee classes are going to be hit; it's as simple as that, and I don't see a way around it.

Well Monk and Barbarians are supposed to have an invisible -30% damage reduction to account for the whole being hit thing, it's just the damage that mobs do in later Acts of Inferno are so off the charts the damage reduction doesn't help as much as it should.

UberTag

same.

what we could use more than anything else is a decent tutorial on how to maximize AH searching and pricing.

fish for people and they'll always have to come back to you to eat; teach them how to fish and they'll feed themselves for a lifetime.
The biggest piece of advice I can provide for people when investigating AH pricing for gear is to filter for level.

If you're overlevelled significantly above the item you're looking to sell (which will be the case most of the time), you don't want to obscure your item's comparative value to other gear available at its level. Filtering by the item's level (i.e. if I'm selling a Level 15 ring, I'll block the range at Levels 1-15) will screen out better gear from higher level brackets and give you a better fix on an item's market value.

Mupod

There are a handful of really good legendaries. The weapons are pretty much all crap, and definitely need a buff. However take a look at the String of Ears or Justice Lantern and try to tell me those aren't amazing.

Number45

My guess is that it would have happened anyway, eventually, given more time. What was accomplished in days through mechanical exploitation would have been accomplished in weeks through "legitimate" play. Somone would have progressed, that someone would have sold loot on the AH which would allow another person to progress, who could then sell his loot to allow others to progress, and so forth.
Oh I'm sure it would, it's just that there's now this inherent expectation that you should be able to progress in Inferno without too much fuss - which is dead against what we'd been told prior to launch. I think everyone took what Blizzard said with a pinch of salt, but all of that was undone very quickly and the amount of whining has been immense.

The blog post today actually makes a great deal of sense to me. I'm still a way from Inferno so you might see me rage in here yet (Barb), but as of right now I'm loving this game. No AH, just working with that I have and trying to beat what gets put in front of me - long may it continue.

The biggest piece of advice I can provide for people when investigating AH pricing for gear is to filter for level.

If you're overlevelled significantly above the item you're looking to sell (which will be the case most of the time), you don't want to obscure your item's comparative value to other gear available at its level. Filtering by the item's level (i.e. if I'm selling a Level 15 ring, I'll block the range at Levels 1-15) will screen out better gear from higher level brackets and give you a better fix on an item's market value.
I never know when to stop with the level. I put the minimum at the required level for the item I'm comparing with - but how long do you typically expect an item to be useful for? I struggle to narrow it down to a selection that looks relevant to what I'm selling, so usually give up and throw it at the vendor. /poor :p

Tacitus_

Well Monk and Barbarians are supposed to have an invisible -30% damage reduction to account for the whole being hit thing, it's just the damage that mobs do in later Acts of Inferno are so off the charts the damage reduction doesn't help as much as it should.

Yeah. I have 60% armor DR and 68% resistance DR + 30% barb dr and I can laugh my way through Act 1. Act 2 just owns me in the face even if I dump 2 of my dps passives and bring my armor DR to 70%. 48k life too.

theta11

There are a handful of really good legendaries. The weapons are pretty much all crap, and definitely need a buff. However take a look at the String of Ears or Justice Lantern and try to tell me those aren't amazing.

The Legendary weapons are easily fixed, the problem is because weapon damage is everything you need to Elemental Damage and Damage%+ modifiers on the weapon or it isn't worth shit. Unfortunately alot of legendaries have 1-2 roll on random modifiers which means the odds of getting those 2 is super low compared to the amount of rolls done on blue items. Legendaries need to have at least 1 of those damage stats fixed on weapons.

agreed. level filtering is a huge thing, as is considering the stats of an item in the context of level filtering. after all, 50 vit and 60 int may be great for a level 30 piece of armor...but nobody buying level 60 items wants that shit unless it has a metric ton of high-quality stats of some kind as well.

it's also great because it cuts out a lot of the really cheap stuff that you may otherwise see when trying to sort by buyout.

it's not a science, but there is learned strategy that goes into effectively using the Auction House and its filters. shit is very obtuse at first, but it becomes very manageable with a little invested time.

The Legendary weapons are easily fixed, the problem is because weapon damage is everything you need to Elemental Damage and Damage%+ modifiers on the weapon or it isn't worth shit. Unfortunately alot of legendaries have 1-2 roll on random modifiers which means the odds of getting those 2 is super low compared to the amount of rolls done on blue items. Legendaries need to have at least 1 of those damage stats fixed on weapons.
+1 on all of this. I'm surprised they didn't get some community feedback on their Legendary implementation idea before going with it. Nobody in the community would have voted for shit Legendaries being in the game.

Mupod

Oh I'm sure it would, it's just that there's now this inherent expectation that you should be able to progress in Inferno without too much fuss - which is dead against what we'd been told prior to launch. I think everyone took what Blizzard said with a pinch of salt, but all of that was undone very quickly and the amount of whining has been immense.

The blog post today actually makes a great deal of sense to me. I'm still a way from Inferno so you might see me rage in here yet (Barb), but as of right now I'm loving this game. No AH, just working with that I have and trying to beat what gets put in front of me - long may it continue.

You won't start pulling your hair out until act 2 as long as you're smart and get your resists up. 400 with warcry/impunity should be fine for act 1, aim for 800 for act 2 and you'll be fine.

'course that stuff ain't cheap nowadays. You might be stuck using blues for a while.

Opiate

agreed. level filtering is a huge thing, as is considering the stats of an item in the context of level filtering. after all, 50 vit and 60 int may be great for a level 30 piece of armor...but nobody buying level 60 items wants that shit unless it has a metric ton of high-quality stats of some kind as well.

it's also great because it cuts out a lot of the really cheap stuff that you may otherwise see when trying to sort by buyout.

it's not a science, but there is learned strategy that goes into effectively using the Auction House and its filters. shit is very obtuse at first, but it becomes very manageable with a little invested time.

I'd add that level filtering remains very important even when you hit 60. At times in Act I inferno I'll get a 1hed weapon drop that has 350 DPS, and my first instinct is to vendor it -- until I see that it's a level 51 item, at which point 350 DPS goes from terrible to very good instantly and my vendor item just became a 20-50k item.

Yup, the amount of people that don't understand that someone has had to have progressed in order for that later gear to be available is amazing. That said, the situation has been made worse by the amount of people that were able to abuse certain mechanics to progress right through to the end game. :/

Thanks for the replies, this is a hard thread to keep up with.

That of course was my first question, "how did anyone get to the next tier in the first place," to which the response was essentially wizard exploiting.

Fugu

Diablo 3 Game design update

"On to items! One of the biggest pieces of feedback we’ve received regarding items is the relative power of Legendaries. This isn’t a simple issue to address, as it involves some intentional design decisions as well as expectations built by other games. First and foremost, Legendary items are not designed to necessarily be the best items in the game. They’re just one additional type of item as you level up, and they are not meant to be the primary items you’re chasing at the end-game. They can -- and should -- be exciting to find, but they’re not supposed to serve as the single driving force of the item hunt. Rare items, for example, have the possibility to roll up “perfect” stats that can, if you’re lucky, outpace the predetermined stats of a Legendary. That’s by design."

"To help correct misconceptions of the actual stat budgets allocated to items, we’ll be exposing item levels (ilvl) of 60+ items in patch 1.0.3. Comparing an ilvl 63 blue to an ilvl 60 Legendary will hopefully make a bit more sense afterward. In addition, we’re planning to just straight-out buff Legendary items in a future patch, likely the PvP patch (1.1). These buffs will not be retroactive, and so they’ll only apply to new Legendary items found after the patch. In the long term, we’re looking at simply expanding the affix diversity and unique bonuses of Legendary items, and we’ll be able to share more details after the PvP patch."
Blizzard's tendency to just relentlessly never admit that they made a mistake is hilarious.

Number45

That of course was my first question, "how did anyone get to the next tier in the first place," to which the response was essentially wizard exploiting.
Aye. It'll be interesting to see if anyone has beaten Inferno untwinked since that point, or with a character that can't exploit any holes. I'm going to give it a damn good go!

Opiate

The first big break was actually a few four man teams going in together and then chain farming a few easily accessible mini bosses, if I recall correctly. This yielded a wealth of 700 DPS 1hed and 900 DPS 2hed blues, along with occassional items which were even better. I watched a stream of this, and their "primary" DPS was a Witch Doctor, for what it's worth.

Danielsan

Good god, why is the auction house such an unresponsive piece of shit. Auctions timing out. Huge delays when sending items and money to your stash. No way in hell that the RM auction house will go live in 2 days.

I never know when to stop with the level. I put the minimum at the required level for the item I'm comparing with - but how long do you typically expect an item to be useful for? I struggle to narrow it down to a selection that looks relevant to what I'm selling, so usually give up and throw it at the vendor. /poor :p

Well if you're buying, I don't want to see anything lower than 50 with armor, because even if the buffs are good, the armor on those items can be a show-stopper. armor matters. The exception to this rule (for me) is for when I'm searching for items that don't have armor stats (amulet, rings). It doesn't matter what level those are.

With buying weapons, I don't want to see any weapons below level 60 because I know the damage and stats I'm looking for won't be available below level 60. I also sort all weapons by dps. then by quality if I want to see quickly the highest dps Rare available.

When buying, always enter a maximum price. it will help keep your results reasonable. walk the maximum price down as you find it necessary.

Much of the same applies to selling. If you're selling a ring or amulet, you don't sort by level. you filter based on your item's 2 *best* stats (3 if it makes sense) and then sort the results by buyout. If an item has a high tertiary stat (say 100 vit, 123 int, 93 strength), just sort by the 2 highest stats. In this example, remember people would be looking for either the 100 vit + 123 int OR the 100 vit + 93 strength, not both. so you would want to filter the results for vit and int, then do another search with the vit + strength...and note how much you think you can get for it that way.

If you're selling something with armor, I usually sort down to level 50. After taking into consideration the good stats on an item, I then look at the armor my item has vs others. If other items have similar stats but half the armor...I have an idea of where I can price mine to get it sold. I'll then sort by buy-out to see what prices items with those filtered stats are moving at and price mine based on how fast I want it to move.

If you're selling weapons...I feel like it can get kinda complicated. You have to put yourself in the shoes of a buyer and ask, "if I were at xx level, what kind of dps would I want and what stats"? That thought process can be your first filter. If you find a level 60 2h rare doing 500 damage, you really don't even need to bother trying to sell it. Nobody will want it. Level 60 items should be compared with other level 60 items almost exclusively because people at level 60 can see all of the good shit. If the damage is borderline, I'll sort down to level 58 or so. Usually, if an item is level 59 or lower, I usually filter down 10 levels, then tighten the filtering if I'm seeing too many results outside the dps range of my item. The goal of the filtering is to try to get an idea of what similar items with similar dps and stats are (1) listed for and are (2) actually selling for. With that information, you can price your item accurately and expect a sale.

Sorry for the long post, but yea. I've sold at least 60 items on the AH now. It's all about the filtering. Well, that and the time of day. It's interesting how much the price can fluctuate, but it's all based on supply & demand. sometimes you can log in and there is an abundance of an item so they're all priced competitively. other times there are only 2 of an item.

Unicorn

wow. my hammer jammers went out by bid.

under 6k gold.... for these:
hammerjammers.png

I would have thought the GF and MF alone would command a high price. :c

Opiate

So I was just alerted to the fact that Azmodan says this in his beginning-of-act-3 custscene:

Speaking to Leah: one by one OUR bretheren fell in to your trap....

I think this is coincidental, as Blizzard's writing staff does not seem otherwise clever enough to lay out this sort of foreshadowing.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
So I was just alerted to the fact that Azmodan says this in his beginning-of-act-3 custscene:

I think this is coincidental, as Blizzard's writing staff does not seem otherwise clever enough to lay out this sort of foreshadowing.
Poor story spoiler:
In reference to the black soulstone and Adria?

If so, well, it doesn't surprise me. The player character doesn't trust Adria from the start, and the revelation is a surprise to no one but Tyrael. The whole thing comes together like a wet fart at the end of act 3.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Price Check on this? I did look on the AH, but it was hard to gauge since most that were going for a lot had +vit on it. But only a couple had as much strength.

Rmj0f.jpg

Anyone else having problems with the EU Auction House? I'm getting timeouts when trying to buy crafting items and when I'm trying to sell stuff. Also was finally able to buy some subtle essense, but item never showed up. Money is gone though.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Price Check on this? I did look on the AH, but it was hard to gauge since most that were going for a lot had +vit on it. But only a couple had as much strength.

Rmj0f.jpg

The fact that it's legendary gives it a bump, but I would guess no more than a couple hundred k.

Unicorn

meh on the stats, but 6% movement speed buff on pants? I'm fucking jelly. that would stack SO nicely with the 15% on my boots. :(

I have another pair I bought for 48k in haste that has similar stats with 7% movement speed. They are still up for auction, current bid is like 20k.. :/

Danielsan

Anyone else having problems with the EU Auction House? I'm getting timeouts when trying to buy crafting items and when I'm trying to sell stuff. Also was finally able to buy some subtle essense, but item never showed up. Money is gone though.
See my post a bit up. Can't even get my money from my auctions. :/

I don't think it's at all coincidental or foreshadowing. He was simply talking of the demonic host.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I take a break for a day and I already get someone texting me "Quit the game already?"

Pathetic.

Opiate

Poor story spoiler:

No. Terrible story spoilers:

"Our bretheren" instead of "my bretheren" implies that Leah is one of Azmodan's bretheren -- which she eventually does become. And one can reasonably infer that Diablo intended for all 7 to be trapped in the soulstone so that Adria could release Diablo as the super demon to rule them all -- that is Diablo's "trap."

It's all terrible regardless, of course.

I have another pair I bought for 48k in haste that has similar stats with 7% movement speed. They are still up for auction, current bid is like 20k.. :/
what's your buy-out?

tip: I learned early on to not sell anything without a buyout unless it's an uber-item.

Just looked at a pair more closely. I really really like the movement speed buff...but the armor on them is like < 200. I can't trade my 600 armor pants for something like that :(

Hopefully there will be future Legendary pants with movement speed on them as well.

Rmj0f.jpg

~$400,000.

So in your case, how I did it was:

1.) typed in the name of your legendary, so that I'd only see this item.

2.) sorted by buyout and scrolled past the N/A listings (page 2)

3.) checked the sold listings to see their specs.

One with 127 strength, similar other stats and a socket went for 400,000. There you go. Price it lower if you want to be aggressive with it. anywhere from 350k-400k is appropriate if you want it to move.

No. Terrible story spoilers:

"Our bretheren" instead of "my bretheren" implies that Leah is one of Azmodan's bretheren -- which she eventually does become. And one can reasonably infer that Diablo intended for all 7 to be trapped in the soulstone so that Adria could release Diablo as the super demon to rule them all -- that is Diablo's "trap."

It's all terrible regardless, of course.

that actually makes it slightly less terrible. As I replay this game endlessly its interesting to think about what each faction knows and doesn't know

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Picked up boots with movement speed, and got an Amulet with Int, Vit, CC Reduction, AS, and a slot for 50k.

Elites ain't nothing but a thing now. Heh. Got my first 5 stacks of Neph for the first time. Though I know its also because I didn't run into any teleports, jailer, superfast combos. Can't say I like this RND on Elites.

Alex

I wish they'd display sold prices for auctions that were bought out. That'd help with pricing a little.

th3dude

As someone else on Normal and selling on the AH regularly, you should be actively looking to sell the following things even that early in the game:

1) Legendaries/Uniques - even crappy low level ones with poor stats command a decent price on the AH

2) Amulets/Rings - plenty of these will drop and will command decent gold on the AH with the right stat focus (high primary stat, high damage, attack speed, Magic Find, Gold Find). I will often buy these off vendors when they're rolled high and flip 'em on the AH for anywhere from 2-3 times their purchase price.

3) Gear you've bought on the AH for your character previously and no longer need. If I'm phasing out previous auction buys, I check what I purchased for them, what they're currently going for and seeing if I can get at least my purchase price back (i.e. so 115% more than what I paid to break even; more if the market will allow for it).

Anything else that drops typically gets vendored although I was also flipping gems on the AH prior to commodity trading getting shut down. I don't waste time auctioning off magic/rare gear for peanuts (i.e. 1-2K) because it's not worth wasting the auction slot on cheap stuff. Would rather buy a ring/amulet off a vendor and get at least 5K profit for doing that.

Thanks!

im4sCYcjGsl2X.jpg

moments like these, I wish I had a few extra million laying around. :(

I wish they'd display sold prices for auctions that were bought out. That'd help with pricing a little.
sort by buyout. you may not get the exact number, but you'll be damn close. They usually look like this:

Amulet 40,000

Amulet 42,000

Amulet SOLD

Amulet 50,000

and it's not hard to get a solid guess.

sleepykyo

Well Zultan Kolle said something similar.

Azmodan is addressing Diablo and telling him he's onto his plan and intends to usurp it.

It's one of the few rare cases of main plot subtlety from the writing team.

OT3 still spoilering? =/

Alex

sort by buyout. you may not get the exact number, but you'll be damn close. They usually look like this:

Amulet 40,000

Amulet 42,000

Amulet SOLD

Amulet 50,000

and it's not hard to get a solid guess.

It is when it's just a complete wall of sold. :( Damn you people, stop buying EVERYTHING.

Their write up on the game and upcoming patches was good, I'm glad they're tuning a bit of the spike on inferno but won't really be reducing it too much. I want it to be ridiculously hard, but it def needs some work. I just hope they never hit with the World of Warcraft "It's been out for a month, ITS OFFICIALLY OUTDATED" mallet and we're suddenly doing mindless Diablo II style runs.

Still bummed on PvP. Ill probably dink with it, but they should have just ripped off Demon's Souls. That world invasion shit would have been soooo good.

inky

Was bored so I just spent about 800k crafting some lvl 60 shields form a recipe I got. None of beat the one I bought for 50k lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom