• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
There has to be something else besides key loggers going on. Where are these key loggers coming from that so many GAFers are falling victim?

Ramirez

Authenticator? i must know

Nah, never had a problem in WoW in 6-7 years. Never played in a public game either...ugh. To anyone who has been hacked, does Blizzard restore all of your stuff?

I've also never been on any D3 site aside from the official forums, sad times.

DTKT

At this point, keyloggers are probably not the main issue.

I vote for a database breach or "123456" passwords. :|

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Nah, never had a problem in WoW in 6-7 years. Never played in a public game either...ugh. To anyone who has been hacked, does Blizzard restore all of your stuff?

Yes, they do a revert, so don't bother playing the character. And the thread title isn't a joke.

:( Come on, people.

Honestly, it's probably something as simple as brute force. If you've ever received a WoW spam e-mail, guaranteed, you're on a huge list of potential hackable targets used by a vast number of people.

maharg

idspispopd

For reals. If keyloggers were this widespread we'd have seen a complete collapse of the personal banking system by now. Something else has to be wrong with their security.

Unicorn

GOLD DYE DOES YOU HAS THEMS??!?!

AH commodities are down and I want to know if Gold Dye makes me shiny yellow or just ugly yellow.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
My RL friend got hacked recently too. Went ahead and put an authenticator on my account...really lame that it feels like Im required to do this though. Sometimes my phone is a piece of shit and doesnt want to cooperate with me :/

They do a restore but its usually a bit behind from your current progress.

Archer

on wow they restored my stuff. dunno about here.

LordCanti

I hear you have an item with 34% MF that you are willingly to give up for free.

If by "willing to give up for free" you mean "holding onto for when the RMAH opens", then yes, yes I do.

6HpFk.png

Ramirez

My RL friend got hacked recently too. Went ahead and put an authenticator on my account...really lame that it feels like Im required to do this though. Sometimes my phone is a piece of shit and doesnt want to cooperate with me :/

They do a restore but its usually a bit behind from your current progress.

Do they rollback everything? Like I'll lose my Inferno Belial kill and stuff? :|

BigDug13

Messing around with Witch Doctor in hardcore and am up to about level 11 right now. Having a lot of fun with Soul Harvest, Horror, Grasp and Spiders. One thing I'm getting a bit worried about is the apparent lack of an escape skill? My main is a wizard (lvl 30 - Act III) and with Mirror Image, Teleport, and Diamond Armor there isn't a lot I need to worry about.

I'm curious if you WD players out there are finding that you lack the tools to deal with Jailor types in the later difficulty levels. Right now, I've got Horror and that's about it. Not sure if I'll survive that long, but it should be fun.

There isn't much of anything except AE fear on a 20 second cooldown and Spirit walk which you can improve up to 3 seconds. There is also AE confuse on a 60 second refresh but that's a long time to wait.

There is also spirit vessel passive that reduces the cooldowns of the spirit walk and the AE fear and adds an automatic spirit walk instead of death every 2 minutes.

Outside of that, you have nothing. Hope that your pet(s) can tank?

Lexxon

My WoW account got nailed near the beginning of Cataclysm. At the time I did not have an authenticator (had one in the past, felt I wasn't stupid enough to get keylogged), and I got nailed. Since I used the same password as I do on some websites, I assumed one of them was compromised and that's how they got in...but seeing all the craziness going on with D3, I just don't know.

WoW compromised accounts are pretty common as well, so it's entirely possible whoever pulls off the WoW compromises is behind the D3 ones. No idea how they manage to get in, but they sure do. But in the vast majority of cases, having an authenticator prevents all of this. I don't want to hear this "I don't have a smartphone!" business...you can get a used one for super cheap, or buy one of their pieces of hardware! They were even essentially giving them away in a twitter "Contest" for quite a while. (I got one, but use the Android app) I've seen people say that they "don't want to give Blizzard any more money", but I can't imagine they made these authenticators to make a buck. If that were the case, why allow the mobile apps for free?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've found that playing John Carpenter soundtracks has increased my Diablo experience. Just a heads up, he's on Spotify.

jersoc

my theory is these accounts were compromised a long time ago by people waiting for a release of either wow expansion or D3. when you get huge waves like this it's really the only thing that makes sense.

Sophia

my theory is these accounts were compromised a long time ago by people waiting for a release of either wow expansion or D3. when you get huge waves like this it's really the only thing that makes sense.

That's what they usually do. Best time to hit it is at the start of a launch, when everyone is being stupid and careless and profits are high.

Teknoman

Screw it, i'm going to get a real authenticator now instead of just using the Ipad version. Ultimate safety.

I wonder how this will effect people who want to go into public PVP when that hits?

do you guys have it authenticate you ever time you log in or did you disable that?

I've only got it every so often, but now I think i'll switch.

Wool

Excuse my ignorance, but was is an authenticator and how do I get one? Does it cost money? Is it a hassle to use?

Sophia

do you guys have it authenticate you ever time you log in or did you disable that?

I have it set to once a week. The setting honestly does not matter, and is largely for peace of mind because some people are paranoid.

If you log in from anything that's not your PC, you'll still be asked for it no matter what that setting is set to.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
any benefits/performance increases if i install d3 on a ssd?

Macattk15

Fuck OFF Inferno Belial.

I can consistently get to phase 3 .... I've gotten him to sub 1 million HP about 5 times now ... and then I get fucking bullshitted by something.

Fights with ZERO margin for error are full of shit.

Ramirez

Fuck OFF Inferno Belial.

I can consistently get to phase 3 .... I've gotten him to sub 1 million HP about 5 times now ... and then I get fucking bullshitted by something.

Fights with ZERO margin for error are full of shit.

Solo?

It's the best fight in the game, IMO. It was so intense in our 4 player game last night, felt good when we got him down.

For reals. If keyloggers were this widespread we'd have seen a complete collapse of the personal banking system by now. Something else has to be wrong with their security.

The fact that they use case insensitive passwords certainly doesnt help (not to mention that its fucking laughably stupid from a security standpoint)

Rufus

WinAuth is a last resort, although it is certainly better than having nothing. It won't do a lick of good if your PC is totally compromised, however.
I don't think they're going to go through the trouble to crack your key, though it is possible of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom