• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT3| Turn On Elective Mode, Get an Authenticator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't. I found the same one and got only mediocre results. It is a pretty expensive recipe too -materials wise- to try and roll a good shield. If you need a shield you are better off finding one for cheap on the AH.

Edit: I thought that was a lvl 60 shield, but in any case my advice remains. I believe some prices are getting adjusted in a coming patch.

Yeah I dont know, I can't find the recipe on the AH so I cant really gauge how much its worth right now

it does require level 60 though http://us.battle.net/d3/en/artisan/blacksmith/recipe/exalted-dread-shield

I just dont feel like spending more money on blacksmithing at the moment...probably going to just sell it

What other plausible explanation is there?

It's getting old seeing so many people say that "oh Blizzard hasn't said anything so it can't be a problem on their end".

What do you expect them to say? "We are having issues with hacked accounts so stop playing unless you have an authenticator while we figure it out"?

IMHO there might be something on Blizzard part which would be the cause of RMAH delay. When they find out what is happening then RMAH will probably arrive miraculusly ;)

Sophia

What other plausible explanation is there?

It's getting old seeing so many people say that "oh Blizzard hasn't said anything so it can't be a problem on their end".

What do you expect them to say? "We are having issues with hacked accounts so stop playing unless you have an authenticator while we figure it out"?

There were over one million accounts that bought the annual pass, at least. Meaning they all were former World of Warcraft players. It's not a large stretch to assume that many of these accounts without authenticators were compromised before the game was even released, and they're only now finding out about it due to hackers essentially going down the list. Not to mention we don't know how many Starcraft 2 -> Diablo 3 players there are as well, and they could have very well been compromised too.

There's no evidence to suggest that Blizzard has been compromise, and Blizzard has not only denied being compromise, but they've provided statistics as well.

w00t

1-shotted Belial on Hell

In regards to hacker-gate, I'm pretty sure Blizzard has been recommending authenticators for several years, they have been pretty straight forward with telling players to get it

And I say this as someone who had a WoW account hacked after not using it for 18 months........*facepalm*

There were over one million accounts that bought the annual pass, at least. Meaning they all were former World of Warcraft players. It's not a large stretch to assume that many of these accounts without authenticators were compromised before the game was even released, and they're only now finding out about it due to hackers essentially going down the list. Not to mention we don't know how many Starcraft 2 -> Diablo 3 players there are as well, and they could have very well been compromised too.

There's no evidence to suggest that Blizzard has been compromise, and Blizzard has not only denied being compromise, but they've provided statistics as well.

That would explain some, but not all. Both of my cousin's accounts were hacked, and both were new accounts.

Sophia

That would explain some, but not all. Both of my cousin's accounts were hacked, and both were new accounts.

I'm not even going to try to figure out the hows or whys it got hacked, but every person that I personally know that got hacked had two things in common.

1. Didn't have an authenticator of any type.
2. Was doing something blatantly stupid in regards to security.

It's always the same case, and I have yet to find anyone who's an exception to this rule. No offense, but seven years of experience tells me that I doubt your cousin is an exception either. =p

maharg

idspispopd
Battle.net accounts not being case-sensitive and probably not rate limiting login attempts is probably to blame. Both things blizzard should fix and would improve security massively without resorting to OTP devices.

HenryHSH

Asked this before and got no answer. Is anyone else getting Hexed by their Enchantress? I'm assuming it's a bug. It's pretty annoying when I get 3-4 shot in act 2 inferno and have to spend thousands in repairs so often.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Man, Inferno Act 3 is pretty ridiculous for monk. There are probably a few possible builds to use but honestly, it's just not fun having to play a certain style to even stand a chance. It's one thing to make it have gear requirements but it's another to shoehorn a class to play a certain way to even do anything. It's pretty frustrating especially because there are some obvious glaring holes in the design for monk when it comes to end-game.

I hear you. I can't do shit. :(

I run around trying to revive comrades, lol.

they have been pretty straight forward with telling players to get it

in what ways? I hadn't heard of it until this thread. Maybe instead of talking about it on blogs, they should list it in their bulletin/announcements area on all these fucking games? They can make BREAKING NEWS headlines about commodities auctions, but can't make one strongly recommending that people grab the Authenticator to protect their account?

Every ten logins, why not remind the gamer that he hasn't activated Authenticator on his account (an alert that can be disabled after a couple of alerts)?

I think they could do much better and be much more pro-active.

Sophia

Battle.net accounts not being case-sensitive and probably not rate limiting login attempts is probably to blame. Both things blizzard should fix and would improve security massively without resorting to OTP devices.

Not sure about the rate limiting, but I do know the account is locked out if too many attempts are tried from different locations, authenticator or not. A friend of mine from Finland had to deal with customer service after being in the US for a period of time, because WoW locked her out.

Passwords not being case-sensitive is just stupid, however. That I do agree with. =P

Rufus

Asked this before and got no answer. Is anyone else getting Hexed by their Enchantress? I'm assuming it's a bug. It's pretty annoying when I get 3-4 shot in act 2 inferno and have to spend thousands in repairs so often.
Heard of that before. Just re-spec her to to use the other skill instead, whatever that's called.

Not sure about the rate limiting, but I do know the account is locked out if too many attempts are tried from different locations, authenticator or not. A friend of mine from Finland had to deal with customer service after being in the US for a period of time, because WoW locked her out.

Passwords not being case-sensitive is just stupid, however. That I do agree with. =P

Seriously ? That's rediculus and much much reduces number of combinations to try.

eek5

Haha I saw a post on reddit warning people not to use enchantress in HC for this reason, so it is definitely happening to other people.

I'm not even going to try to figure out the hows or whys it got hacked, but every person that I personally know that got hacked had two things in common.

1. Didn't have an authenticator of any type.
2. Was doing something blatantly stupid in regards to security.

It's always the same case, and I have yet to find anyone who's an exception to this rule. No offense, but seven years of experience tells me that I doubt your cousin is an exception either. =p

Anecdotal evidence. Thats reliable =P

FtHTiny

yes but it happens really rarely. It´s still a great spell, i wouldn´t respec it away.

Sophia

Seriously ? That's rediculus and much much reduces number of combinations to try.

Personally I thought it was stupid when they switched over to emails for user names, as that's when all this account compromising became widespread.

I didn't have an authenticator until recently, but I have yet to have been hacked, seven years running. =P

Anecdotal evidence. Thats reliable =P

More reliable than the mass fucking paranoia coming from people, which I'm quite frankly amazed by. If Blizzard says nobody with an authenticator has been compromised and that it's just the usual methods bumped up to eleven, then I have no reason not to believe them at this point. =P

Playing with a twinked out Wizard. I have around 500 DPS at level 24. Should skyrocket next level when I can finally equip this one ring I've been saving.

Electrocute and Disintegrate just melt through everything. I killed the Act 2 boss before he even had a chance to do his "ultimate". Used a slightly different build for that than my regular mob swath one. My Magic Missile will one-shot almost anything it touches.

It's probably just because I'm obscenely overpowered, but I think I'm having more fun with the Wizard than my DH. Still going to press on with the DH though, but I need to grind a bit before I can get into hell, as I finished Nightmare at level 48.

Sophia

Passwords are not case sensitive? -_-

That simply has to be false.

Been that way for years. I just typed my password into WoW in all caps (minus numbers and symbols) and it worked. I think it's stupid, but then again I think using emails for user names was stupid too.

GorillaJu

I also went from DH to Wiz for my second character. So much more fun. The game is actually fun to play on normal and especially nightmare.

Hell is ok, and inferno simply isn't fun. I feel like I have no reason to play the game as it just depends too much on luck. There's no "getting better" and feeling the massive improvement like there is in a MOBA or TF2 or other competitive games I play.

Been that way for years. I just typed my password into WoW in all caps (minus numbers and symbols) and it worked. I think it's stupid, but then again I think using emails for user names was stupid too.

That's terrible. My password is still very secure without the caps, but still.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Was passing through Leoric's Hunting Ground to get to his manor in Act I Hell with my DH, and accidentally aggro'd too many mobs. So, I figured screw it and made a mad dash for Leoric's Manor, figuring I could just zone into the next area and lose them. Wound up aggroing half the zone in the process with 3 blue bull things, a yellow one, several trees and goat men chasing me. Notice they didn't follow me into the garden in front of Leoric's place, so I go to see what happened, and so many things were chasing me they got stuck in the gate. :p

Wound up pegging things off from a safe distance until they could enter the area, then kited them in a big circle on the sets of stairs there, consequently aggroing some blue mortaring cultists in the process. Somehow managed to kill them all only dying once. I love moments like that because they're so harrowing. Good times. =D

suEcide

Excuse the ignorant question that I'm sure has been answered many times over in this thread...but:

I just bought an item in the auction house, yet when I get to the game I can't seem to locate where I can use it. Any help directing me here? Thanks.

Sophia

Blizzard, This Supposed To Be A Challenge Or Just Bullsh*t?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERKmeGdyflQ

We actually left the entire game, came back, and not only was the elite still in that same general area, but he actually had MORE friends to help him the next time. Why? lol

Completely impossible.

Looks like your HP is low, I couldn't give a clear glance at it. What's your resistance at? Your armor is dreadfully low too.

That pack looks like they'd be pretty easy for my Barbarian.

Excuse the ignorant question that I'm sure has been answered many times over in this thread...but:

I just bought an item in the auction house, yet when I get to the game I can't seem to locate where I can use it. Any help directing me here? Thanks.

After you win an item in the auction house, you have to go to the completed tab and send it to your stash. Then find it in your stage ingame. =P

Personally I thought it was stupid when they switched over to emails for user names, as that's when all this account compromising became widespread.

Heh yeah - I got phishing mail asking to log in to my battle.net account because i'm getting hacked twice over the last few years - only problem is i created my battle.net account for Diablo III and never played WOW :D

Sophia

Heh yeah - I got phishing mail asking to log in to my battle.net account because i'm getting hacked twice over the last few years - only problem is i created my battle.net account for Diablo III and never played WOW :D

Oh I get them all the time at my throwaway gmail address. Which is hilarious as that address isn't associated with my WoW account at all.

Never gotten anything at my real email.

Sophia

Blizzard has actually sent me emails before that I assumed were phishing attempts =/

Its pretty ridiculous

It's not that hard to check out which ones are phishing attempts however. Hovering over the URL in Thunderbird (And virtually almost all other email programs) reveals the REAL URL, which is anything but offical. =P

Woakes

I think a lot of it is because Blizzard use the same blatantly stupid "asking for it" system a lot of companies do where the username is an email address. So many people use their email accounts password it's not even funny. One hacked email account later and you have any thing they have that uses email addresses as usernames. Now granted you've got to be pretty dumb to use the same password, but people can be pretty dumb. Why companies tempt fate like this is beyond me, they know people can be stupid. It only takes registering the same email address on some disreputable forum (not this one obviously), and using the same password. That's likley where half these 'hacks' come from.

FtHTiny

Blizzard, This Supposed To Be A Challenge Or Just Bullsh*t?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERKmeGdyflQ

We actually left the entire game, came back, and not only was the elite still in that same general area, but he actually had MORE friends to help him the next time. Why? lol

Completely impossible.

I don´t really see where you left the game and come back in the video. But ressing one at a time just to die isn´t really the best strat for any pack. And if you really can´t beat a pack pull it out of the way and let it live.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
The email I use for battle.net is something I only use for a few things like banking, car insurance, iPhone.

That looks to be it.

The only thing in the spam folder is from itunes newsletter.

It's not that hard to check out which ones are phishing attempts however. Hovering over the URL in Thunderbird (And virtually almost all other email programs) reveals the REAL URL, which is anything but offical. =P

The real url came up as battle.net or whatever but I was still skeptical and logged into my account and e-mailed CS to ask if they had sent me an email lol

suEcide

Looks like your HP is low, I couldn't give a clear glance at it.
After you win an item in the auction house, you have to go to the completed tab and send it to your stash. Then find it in your stage ingame. =P

Thanks man, but when I try to send it to my stash I get the following message "Cannot send Weapon X to your stash".

LordCanti

Orange Text! OMG OMG WHAT IS IT?!

DD3F9.jpg

Dammit

Dude...Im level 22 and i have around 105DPS....as a monk. How can you have that much power this early on???

It's pretty easy to get your DPS up with a wizard between Glass Cannon and Magic Weapon. I think I was around 500 as well in act 2 and by the end of normal I was drive 900 buffed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom