• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT4| Antiques Roadshow: Sanctuary Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait... why do Monks *need* AR and a single resist? Why do they need more resists than every other class?

How does a barb get say... 900 resist in everything?

A monk needs 900 all resist or 450 all resist + 450 X resist and use the passive talent one with everything that adds the two together and gives it to every type of resist. Intelligence can obviously be used a bit if gear happens to have it.

railGUN

Banned
Well shit, I just hit the fucking wall. I'd been progressing pretty much fine halfway through act 2, but now I can't get through the big open area. Every elite I hit just annihilates me, and when I try to bypass it, I just hit more that do the same. I had half the map chasing me at one point, with 2 sets of elites and a rare boss with about 20 regular and minions mixed in, lol.

Time to farm I guess, too bad I dropped almost 100k trying to get past this part, I could have / should have used that on the AH but I thought I'd get past the couple tough elites and keep going... NOPE.

Lesath

Wait... why do Monks *need* AR and a single resist? Why do they need more resists than every other class?

Monks do not scale well with Vitality. Unlike Barbarians, we get no armor bonus from VIT, so its sole purpose is to ensure that you don't get one-shot after your mitigation. The best (fastest) way to increase mitigation is through resist/all resist gear.

Whooter

I am sad that I haven't been able to sell anything on the RMAH yet, not even at super low prices. Is it literally only level 60 and above items that actually sell on that, or is it possible / do people actually buy lower level items there too?

I sold one level 40ish item called "Sage's Link" (I can't even remember what type of item it was) for $10 last week. Outside of that, nada, but I'm only toiling in the lower level 50's yet.

GJS

Single resists max out at like 55, whilst AR goes up to 80. So we need AR as well, otherwise the total resist we can get is lower. It also allows us to get a higher resist level then any other class, and makes it easier to get to high resist levels.

2D8kr.png

Dat Lengendary stuff.

RivalCore

Well shit, I just hit the fucking wall. I'd been progressing pretty much fine halfway through act 2, but now I can't get through the big open area. Every elite I hit just annihilates me, and when I try to bypass it, I just hit more that do the same. I had half the map chasing me at one point, with 2 sets of elites and a rare boss with about 20 regular and minions mixed in, lol.

Time to farm I guess, too bad I dropped almost 100k trying to get past this part, I could have / should have used that on the AH but I thought I'd get past the couple tough elites and keep going... NOPE.

Stats and class? I ran through a large portion of Act II when I started. Hurt me in the long run because I was basically avoiding a gear roadblock in favour of a bigger roadblock.

Vodh

All the reasons from previous posts + we don't get any good boosts to resists from skills. A rune from mantra of healing gives us 20% extra, while Barbs use a shout that gives them 50%. Go figure.

Anustart

I'm convinced that wd is perhaps weakest class to farm inferno, but don't know what to roll. should I go wiz because I already have int gear, or go monk or barb? Opinions?

Edit : also whats the best way to get to 60 quick?

Shouta

Barb warcry also increases their resist by 50% if you rune for it. Best Monk gets for skills is 20% outside of the passive.

Anyway, here's my gear

Worthy Armor, Juggernaut Poise, and High Insult are swaps depending on what I'm feeling like, though I'm using them now. Doom Crash is for when I'm dual-wielding for fun, though it's just a placeholder until I get a better weapon.

Stat differ a bit depending on what I have equipped. Still a lot of room for improvement but it'll be expensive.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Monks do not scale well with Vitality. Unlike Barbarians, we get no armor bonus from VIT, so its sole purpose is to ensure that you don't get one-shot after your mitigation. The best (fastest) way to increase mitigation is through resist/all resist gear.

Unless I'm missing something, Barbarians don't get any armor from vitality unless they are using the Nerves of Steel passive skill. I suppose the same can be said for stacking a single resist with Monks and the One With Everything passive skill.

Sophia

Amusingly that shout is one of the few reasons to even continue playing a Barb. The other defensive skills are pretty lousy.

Unless I'm missing something, Barbarians don't get any armor from vitality unless they are using the Nerves of Steel passive skill. I suppose the same can be said for stacking a single resist with Monks and the One With Everything passive skill.

Any Barbarian not using Nerves of Steel is either ignorant, or crazy and trying out a crazy awesome setup such as the Ranged Barb. It's practically required for most builds.

10dollas

Banned
This is a little late of a response, but to those that are interested: 60% crit chance is definitely reachable with gear only:

~5% ring 1
~5% ring 2
10% gloves
~10%> I think amulet (either bracers or amulets can get this high)
5%> i think bracers (either bracers or amulets can get this high,)
5% helmet
~10% offhand
________
50% total
+5% innate critical chance
+any random legendaries that have crit chance
+ equipment that have specialized crit chance (my friend has a helm that has +base crit chance and + frost beam crit chance)

Barb warcry also increases their resist by 50% if you rune for it. Best Monk gets for skills is 20% outside of the passive.

Anyway, here's my gear

Worthy Armor, Juggernaut Poise, and High Insult are swaps depending on what I'm feeling like, though I'm using them now. Doom Crash is for when I'm dual-wielding for fun, though it's just a placeholder until I get a better weapon.

Stat differ a bit depending on what I have equipped. Still a lot of room for improvement but it'll be expensive.

How far have you progressed?

HomShaBom

Banned
This new repair shit is pissing me off. I can barely attempt progressing Act 3 cause my WD just gets mowed down, producing thousands in repair bills. I will go broke doing this shit. Running Act 1 over and over hoping for a fucking decent drop is making me sick. I'd rather be able to try new strats and such until I succeed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Amusingly that shout is one of the few reasons to even continue playing a Barb. The other defensive skills are pretty lousy.

Any Barbarian not using Nerves of Steel is either ignorant, or crazy and trying out a crazy awesome setup such as the Ranged Barb. It's practically required for most builds.

Depending on gear, that's certainly debatable.

Swig_

Attack speed on items reduced by 50%.. Well there goes all the money I spent on those items before they announced it. Awesome.

It's like they're trying to make me not want to play this game.

Is act 2 goblin farming still viable?

I was midway through Act 3 pre-patch solo. Didn't progress farther because I just wanted to farm until the patch, heh. I have an Inferno Diablo kill because I helped Rentahamster though.
Can you finish act 3 after the nerf?

BigDug13

I'm convinced that wd is perhaps weakest class to farm inferno, but don't know what to roll. should I go wiz because I already have int gear, or go monk or barb? Opinions?

Edit : also whats the best way to get to 60 quick?

Wizard will get there quick, find good 2 handers with "reduced level requirement" to keep way above average dps, and you have level 60 armor to transfer over to be semi-inferno ready.

But wizards die a ton because of a lack of crowd control options and with the new repair costs, you will still be broke.

I'm not really sure what to play. Monks are fun to me.

and coming from a WD if you enjoy the pet aspect, the Monk pet is far superior to the WD pet. You can recast it as much as you want for only 25 spirit so you can make sure it's attacking the enemy near you. Their special ability timer resets upon recast, so if you let your water pet use his wave attack for 120% damage, you can immediately cast another one who will immediately use its wave attack for another 120% damage. Same for earth pet taunting attacker for 3 seconds, then cast another one to taunt an attacker for 3 seconds.

inky

Found a Golgor in Act III:

Oh Shit!
*hits*
2.2k dmg
wut?
Dodge
Dodge
Block
Dodge
*hits*
2.2k dmg

Blizzard does not fuck around, do they? *smh*

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't consider it debatable. There are only a few setups (none of which are tank setups) where you'd not want Nerves of Steel. The benefits it profits are just too great.

I guess? If you already have over 9,000 Armor, you'd probably be better off taking some more damage. Having that much armor is certainly not necessary to clear Inferno anymore.

I guess? If you already have over 9,000 Armor, you'd probably be better off taking some more damage. Having that much armor is certainly not necessary to clear Inferno anymore.

Trade in the extra armor gear for DPS gear? I dunno, depends on how good the passive you're adding in place of NoS is.

10dollas

Banned
A wizard with the right set up is probably competing with the best class(if it's not already the best class now) for most cost effective setup now.

maximize damage+ sprinkle enough resists/vitality/armor so that nothing one shots you with diamond skin + a force armor combination. Then add illusionist passive skill + teleport with fracture rune and/or Mirror image duplicates, with the rest of the skills up to your choosing. This combination produces distractions for the enemies whenever u get hit for 35% or more of your health. So pretty much, you can have an army of target dummies up for enemies at all times.

Also when I'm playing solo, I run cold blooded instead of glass cannon + a scoundrel with the spread shot skill/ and a cold damage weapon. Its a pretty complimentary sidekick build.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Trade in the extra armor gear for DPS gear? I dunno, depends on how good the passive you're adding in place of NoS is.

Definitely! Once you've reached the point where you aren't getting easily murder-faced by everything, I think you should start getting more DPS and more Life on Hit/Life Steal stuff. Kill and heal faster and you'll be more sustainable than someone who can just take a lot of damage before dying. You'll also blaze through the content much quicker.

Sophia

Maybe if you're hitting enrages and you have that much armor, replace it with Ruthlessness, Boon or something. A lot of the Barbarian passives are garbage.

I wouldn't mind taking Unforgiving if it actually generated enough Fury to be usable, but it's too slow.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe if you're hitting enrages and you have that much armor, replace it with Ruthlessness, Boon or something. A lot of the Barbarian passives are garbage.

I wouldn't mind taking Unforgiving if it actually generated enough Fury to be usable, but it's too slow.

It's not just for people hitting enrage. More DPS is always a good thing. Not only does it let you kill shit faster, preventing them from doing damage to you and letting you progress through a level quicker, but you'll start healing like crazy if you have lots of Life Steal stuff. Even with the Inferno penalty on Life Steal, you'll be gaining a ton of life back when you're critting for damn near 100k each against large squads of enemies using something like Seismic Slam.

The best part about Unforgiving is that you don't degenerate Fury. It's great if you use Sprint a lot.

What are you spending that fury on?

My build leaves me NEVER using it. =(

Frenzy, Leap
WotB, Shout, Revenge, Overpower.

I -wish- I had a spammable fury spender. The only negotiable slot is Overpower (mind you, I haven't really played in 0.1.03 yet)--what would you suggest to get rid of all that fury?

Sophia

The best part about Unforgiving is that you don't degenerate Fury. It's great if you use Sprint a lot.

I don't think I've ever actually bothered with Sprint outside of attempting a few ranged builds. I guess Rush/Run Like the Wind would be pretty awesome with Unforgiving.

Frenzy, Leap

I -wish- I had a spammable fury spender. The only negotiable slot is Overpower (mind you, I haven't really played in 0.1.03 yet)--what would you suggest to get rid of all that fury?

Assuming I went that route (I don't, my builds usually leave me without a spammable fury spender as well), I'd be using it on Seismic Slam. Seismic Slam with Stagger or Shattered Ground is the only reliable fury spender I've seen.

Right now for Act 2 I'm using:

Frenzy, Seismic Slam
Revenge, War Cry, Wrath of the Berserker, Leap.

Which isn't too far off your own build. =P

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think I've ever actually bothered with Sprint outside of attempting a few ranged builds. I guess Rush/Run Like the Wind would be pretty awesome with Unforgiving.

My current build heavily relies on Sprint/Run Like the Wind and Seismic Slam to flatten hordes of enemies in a short amount of time. Falls apart when you get Jailer, but I make sure to keep Revenge up for when I go toe-to-toe with stuff.

Frenzy, Leap

Seismic Slam with the reduced cost. Get a high crit %, and then use Battle Rage with the "chance to gain Fury on crit" Rune and you can spam it infinitely against large groups. Combine that with Sprint/Run Like the Wind tornadoes that are also doing crazy damage.

I'm surprised I managed to do Belial with my 15k dps barb without hitting the enrage timer. God bless wrath of the berserker and the berserker rage passive. It helped that his hits are so weak now that I didn't really have to worry about moving much. Also phase one and two are pathetic now, wasn't even close to being in danger at any point.

Belgorim

I wouldn't consider it debatable. There are only a few setups (none of which are tank setups) where you'd not want Nerves of Steel. The benefits it profits are just too great.

I dont use nerves of steel with ranged build or melee build. Don't use a shield either. There are other good options.

Sophia

I dont use nerves of steel with ranged build or melee build. Don't use a shield either. There are other good options.

You using a two hander or dual wield? I'm thinking of trying a different DPS focused build for Act 2, because quite frankly most of this act is bullshit anyhow.

My current build heavily relies on Sprint/Run Like the Wind and Seismic Slam to flatten hordes of enemies in a short amount of time. Falls apart when you get Jailer, but I make sure to keep Revenge up for when I go toe-to-toe with stuff.

Seismic Slam with the reduced cost. Get a high crit %, and then use Battle Rage with the "chance to gain Fury on crit" Rune and you can spam it infinitely against large groups. Combine that with Sprint/Run Like the Wind tornadoes that are also doing crazy damage.

This sounds, dare I say, fun... Can I actually look forward to playing like this in 1.03?!?!

BigDug13

What are recommended skills for a DH up to level 60 ?

Currently only 28 and using bola with chakram, but is there a better overall setup ?

I used bat, elemental arrow's first lightning rune, and the 4-hit rune for the snare arrows. The slow moving lightning balls strike out at things, it will even hit an enemy behind you as you're casting them. Usually will hit twice as it passes by enemies, too so it's efficient. the bat will help keep your hatred topped off.

Once elites/champs started getting tougher to solo at the end of nightmare and into hell, I switched the lighting for fear arrows, keeping a tightly packed group at bey. 40% of the time you will fear everything in front of you. Very powerful. I also switched out the snare arrows for the evasive fire ability with the triple shot rune. It generates more hate than the primary attacks, hits instantly since there are no projectiles to fire, and automatically backflips you out of danger. It has a nice side effect of restarting your attack timer on the backflip. In other words, if the attack causes a backflip, I will imediately attack again no matter what overall attack speed I have. So your dps improves when in danger.

I added in the lower cost rune on the multishot arrows for wider dispersed enemies. Since the bat and evasive fire keeps your hatred regenning fast, keeping champs/elites busy with fear arrow can be maintained for a bit.

I liked "tactical advantage" passive since it also works with evasive fire. If your attack causes you to backflip, you get 2 seconds of 65% run speed and works on your smoke too.

HenryHSH

I'm surprised I managed to do Belial with my 15k dps barb without hitting the enrage timer. God bless wrath of the berserker and the berserker rage passive. It helped that his hits are so weak now that I didn't really have to worry about moving much.

Yeah, you can do it with 12k+ without enrage. Anything under and you're dead.

I don't know how 1h barbs can do bosses now without building for STR instead of full on HP/AR.

Belgorim

You using a two hander or dual wield? I'm thinking of trying a different DPS focused build for Act 2, because quite frankly most of this act is bullshit anyhow.

I'm using dual wield for melee, shield for weapon throw (only use a weapon-throw build for magic find, only way to get 300% for me and still kill stuff).

Dual wield I use one weapon for 123% critical damage, the other has 9xx life on hit.

Been farming act 3 mostly. The dual wield build became much more viable with the new patch, the mobs became nerfed to the ground.

What's the best elemental damage to look for on a weapon?

What enemies are weak to what elements?

Is there a preferred element for Act I/II/III/IV?

Do the elemental damage quantities apply to my wizard's signature spells and other skills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom